PDA

View Full Version : Cartoonists treading lightly when drawing Obama

Hughes_GOAT
02-25-2009, 05:23 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96FGCO02&show_article=1

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Bet these same Folks didn't mind it when somebody poked fun at Bush or Condoleezza! Shoot the press went after Palin like a pack of hungry Jackals and they said it was alright. I even seen a video online of some Hollywood stars insulting her Religion!

TheConcretekid
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Calling Bush or Palin dumb, or McCain old is COMPLETELY different than drawing connections between a monkey and an African American,

Chuck
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Calling Bush or Palin dumb, or McCain old is COMPLETELY different than drawing connections between a monkey and an African American,

I agree completely.... I mean why drag an innocent monkey into all of this???

PETA should be pissed about this!!!

Hey wait.... when did somebody make a connection between a monkey and an African American???

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, when it comes to Bush, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, etc., it's all fair game. Because Obama is HALF black, it's like he's some sort of special case, it's BS.

Chuck
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah, when it comes to Bush, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, etc., it's all fair game. Because Obama is HALF black, it's like he's some sort of special case, it's BS.

How dare you interject facts into this discussion???

Half black... sheesh.... that's blasphemy!!!

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 03:07 PM
How dare you interject facts into this discussion???

Half black... sheesh.... that's blasphemy!!!
Only if the press catches wind of it, then I will forever be known as a racist even though I'm 1/8 Sioux Indian, my roommate in college for 2 years was a black man, my wife is a Filipina, and I sell library books to Mexicans. I'd still be racist, ARGH!!!!

rearnakedchoke
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
exactly .. it was like that guy that was selling t-shirts of curious george or some cartoon like him and had obama's name underneath it ... and then he played it off like he didn't know what was wrong with it ...

internationalharvester
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM

how so? I have alot of respect for Mr Bush as well as Mr McCain and Ms Palin maybe I find it offensive to call them dumb or old

Chuck
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Only if the press catches wind of it, then I will forever be known as a racist even though I'm 1/8 Sioux Indian, my roommate in college for 2 years was a black man, my wife is a Filipina, and I sell library books to Mexicans. I'd still be racist, ARGH!!!!

Ummm.... cause you're white!!!

Helloooo.... McFly........ :wink:

Neezar
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM

You don't have to be a racist to see racism. Comparing poking fun at someone to drawing them as a monkey as a racial slur is what is the bullshyte here. That is like comparing apples and oranges. And you have never came across as lacking in the logic department so I think you totally get that.

Crisco
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
You don't have to be a racist to see racism. Comparing poking fun at someone to drawing them as a monkey as a racial slur is what is the bullshyte here. That is like comparing apples and oranges. And you have never came across as lacking in the logic department so I think you totally get that.

When politics get involved logic and common sense don't usually have a place at the table lol.

Neezar
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
It doesn't matter if you believe that race should or shouldn't be a factor in this or that Obama shouldn't get any special treatment because he is black. To a certain extent, I totally agree with that. But you can not say that racial slurs should be acceptable in the political battle arena. And you just can NOT ignore the fact that portraying Obama as a monkey is/will be considered racists.

Chuck
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM

To link the chimp in the cartoon to Hussein is an assumption to begin with...

with that being said... the artist only used a chimp because it was a timely and relevant news story....

you also don't have to be racist to imagine racism that's not even there....

or do you???? :huh:

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Huh? Are you hitting on me? :jumping0047:

Neezar
02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.....

If you don't want them playing the race card then don't play the ignorance card. Ignorance is no valid excuse. And to imply that people should not/would not make the connection between the monkey and racism is ignornance (even though it may have been intentional ignorance), IMO.

Just my thoughts though.

Chuck
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.....

If you don't want them playing the race card then don't play the ignorance card. Ignorance is no valid excuse. And to imply that people should not/would not make the connection between the monkey and racism is ignornance (even though it may have been intentional ignorance), IMO.

Just my thoughts though.

I think the whole point of the thread/article was simply that due to Husseins race... he will be handled with kid gloves...

Nobody cares when you pick on a white guy..........

but half white guys need to be treated with kids gloves or else!!! :punch:

CAVEMAN
02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
We should all get used to it! Anything we criticize about this administration, the race card will be pulled

Quoted from Skynews: The cartoon featured Travis, a real-life chimpanzee which was shot last week by police in Connecticut, near New York, after attacking a woman. In the drawing, two policeman stand over the chimp's body. One said: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

Murdoch was making fun of the stimulus bill, but of course most blacks and liberals had to make it all about racism.

County Mike
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
http://doesitallmatter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/race-card-06.jpg

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
http://doesitallmatter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/race-card-06.jpg
That's funny. A few years ago, Hispanics became the majority here in Texas. I'm going to start an organization so that I can start getting my free stuff. For example, if I commit a felony, I should be able to get my college paid for.

TheConcretekid
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
We should all get used to it! Anything we criticize about this administration, the race card will be pulled

Quoted from Skynews: The cartoon featured Travis, a real-life chimpanzee which was shot last week by police in Connecticut, near New York, after attacking a woman. In the drawing, two policeman stand over the chimp's body. One said: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."
Murdoch was making fun of the stimulus bill, but of course most blacks and liberals had to make it all about racism.

Since the stimulus package is Obama's brain child, they are drawing parallels between an African American and an ape, thus: racist. In this world you have to realize that there are some names you cant call some people. Saying Matt Hughes is like a gorilla on the wrestling mat would be ok, but call a black man a chimp is racist.

Call it a double standard or hypocritcal, but its a fact... if you dont believe me, come visit me in Philadelphia and start calling black guys monkeys and see what happens. It's like the Nword, they both are just groups of letters that form words but they are heavy words with deep historical negative conontations... and their history is not that far in our past.

This isnt this guys first offensive drawing either, he has received a lot of flack from the Jewish community from earlier cartoons.

Chuck
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Since the stimulus package is Obama's brain child, they are drawing parallels between an African American and an ape, thus: racist. In this world you have to realize that there are some names you cant call some people. Saying Matt Hughes is like a gorilla on the wrestling mat would be ok, but call a black man a chimp is racist.

Call it a double standard or hypocritcal, but its a fact... if you dont believe me, come visit me in Philadelphia and start calling black guys monkeys and see what happens. It's like the Nword, they both are just groups of letters that form words but they are heavy words with deep historical negative conontations... and their history is not that far in our past.

This isnt this guys first offensive drawing either, he has received a lot of flack from the Jewish community from earlier cartoons.

The problem with the cartoon is the exact same problem with your post... you took a cartoon based on a very recent news item and turned it into calling somebody a monkey. That to me, is a huge leap. The same leap made by the oh so vocal minorities. Nobody... absolutely NOBODY called Hussein anything.... the cartoon dosen't even IMPLY it's him.. Hussein didn't write the Stimulus bill.... many people of all races wrote it. To somehow make it all about Hussein is a reach... to make it a racial cartoon is an even bigger reach.

In your own post you compare the cartoon to using the word nigger. (Yes I typed it... does that make me a racist? Insensitive? If I typed Honkie would you care? Gook? Redskin?? I doubt it) Do you really think a cartoon with a chimp and a reference to a piece of legislation is the same thing as using the most inflamatory racial slur currently in our vocabulary??

That's just nuts.

Racism is a huge problem in America, especially here in the South where I live. When society exaggerates things like this cartoon into some sort of racial issue it only hurts the minorities. Ever hear of crying wolf? If we continue to make a big deal out of something with hardly any racial overtones to begin with then the real acts of racism will just become another drop in the bucket.
Racism is a problem that can and will be solved ONLY when people start being honest about it. We, as a society need to quit reaching and over-reacting to the little things and start paying attention to the real issues.

In my humble opinion.......

Neezar
02-26-2009, 12:45 AM
In your own post you compare the cartoon to using the word nigger. (Yes I typed it... does that make me a racist? Insensitive?

Yes, it does.

:laugh:

Black Mamba
02-26-2009, 12:48 AM
I highly doubt racism will be solved. It's been around 70ish years since women were able to vote and less than 50 years since minorities were able to really do things in the US. We've came a long way, but we still have miles to go. I don't like the fact that colleges use affirmative action because imo I would rather be judged based on my qualifications not my race and gender. That's probably the one part of any application that I hate: what is your race and gender? None of your f-ing business. :mellow:

But I do agree with you Chuck that people need to be honest about it. I would rather know upfront that someone doesn't like because I'm a n-word, an oreo, or any other racial slur that's applicable to me. Then I'll just leave and ignore your booty.

When I was four I had really hair brain wish. I used to wish that everyone could be stripped of their skin color so maybe then racism could bye-bye. But then other forms of racism would probably happen, such as eye color.

TheConcretekid
02-26-2009, 01:46 AM
based on a very recent news item and turned it into calling somebody a monkey. That to me, is a huge leap.

In your own post you compare the cartoon to using the word nigger.

In my humble opinion.......

1.) In the cartoon the police killed a monkey, in reference to a topical news story, yes. But then the speech bubble states that they need to find someone else to write the stimulus package, thus the now dead monkey was the originally behind the stimulus. Since we all know Pres. Obama was actually behind the stimulus package, this cartoon is drawing parallels between an African American and an ape. Racist.

2. No, you are ignorant* I compare calling a black person** an ape to calling a black person the Nword.

3. Look up the word humble

*Look up that word, because you probably don't know the actual meaning is and you think it is the same thing as arrogant.
**Let alone the President of the United States of America and the leader of the free world... but of course I'm talking to a guy who wont even refer to our leader as President Obama and instead uses his middle name as if to be witty and edgey in making some sort of muslim/terrorist connection.

Chuck
02-26-2009, 03:47 AM
1.) In the cartoon the police killed a monkey, in reference to a topical news story, yes. But then the speech bubble states that they need to find someone else to write the stimulus package, thus the now dead monkey was the originally behind the stimulus. Since we all know Pres. Obama was actually behind the stimulus package, this cartoon is drawing parallels between an African American and an ape. Racist.

2. No, you are ignorant* I compare calling a black person** an ape to calling a black person the Nword.

*Look up that word, because you probably don't know the actual meaning is and you think it is the same thing as arrogant.
**Let alone the President of the United States of America and the leader of the free world... but of course I'm talking to a guy who wont even refer to our leader as President Obama and instead uses his middle name as if to be witty and edgey in making some sort of muslim/terrorist connection.

1. Wrong. The cartoon is drawing a comparison to the authors of a horrible written stimulus plan and a dead chimp. Hussein didn't write the stimulus package. Perhaps you should look up the word ignorant? And even IF your assumption were true... it's comparing a dead chimp to our Caucasian President. I know it's hard to swallow but Hussein is just as much black as he is white. Now if they would have shot an Oreo cookie... THAT would have been racist :wink:

2. Wrong. Again. You drew the parellel between that cartoon and calling a black man a chimp. Hussein isn't black :wink: And he didn't write the stimulus package. :wink:

3. OK. Now what?

*Why would you assume anything about my intelligence? Didn't your Mom and Dad teach you about making assumptions? I'm well aware of the definiton of the word. I don't need to look any further then your post.

**So you're connecting his middle name Hussein with being a terrorist?? :scared0015: Who's the racist now?? Would you care if I referred to President Bush as Walker??? You don't have a problem with his middle name being Hussein do you?

Neezar
02-26-2009, 04:51 AM

I think the majority agrees with this.

If the cartoonist wanted to refer to a group of writers of the bill then he/she would have had a group of monkeys portrayed in the picture. He was representing the writer of the stimulus bill with one subject. Most people clearly associate Obama with being the leader/founder/pusher of the stimulus bill. It would be hard for anyone to say that it is a far reach to relate the monkey to Obama. And I would have a hard time believing that the cartoonist wasn't aware of that.

Chuck
02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
I think the majority agrees with this.

If the cartoonist wanted to refer to a group of writers of the bill then he/she would have had a group of monkeys portrayed in the picture. He was representing the writer of the stimulus bill with one subject. Most people clearly associate Obama with being the leader/founder/pusher of the stimulus bill. It would be hard for anyone to say that it is a far reach to relate the monkey to Obama. And I would have a hard time believing that the cartoonist wasn't aware of that.

So do you think it's racist then?

logrus
02-26-2009, 05:33 AM

I didn't find anything wrong with the picture it was the caption that pretty much sealed its fate.

Neezar
02-26-2009, 05:41 AM

The cartoon? Well, hell yeah! :scared0015:

Chuck
02-26-2009, 05:43 AM
The cartoon? Well, hell yeah! :scared0015:

LOL.

Black Mamba
02-27-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm alittle bit confused by something here. :blink: Heck I'm getting even more confused by typing this out so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Obama is half black and half something else (Hawaiian or white?) I don't remember the other half on top of my head. Now here's what I'm confused by: some people argue that Obama isn't black. His Daddy was black, and by definition that makes him black. I don't get why people say the otherwise. Ok so he isn't "fully black" (black mom, black dad) but he's still black.

I am half black, half white (black Daddy, white Mommy). By definition that makes me black. Now you can get all technical and say that I'm bi-racial which would be correct, however on all my applications I put black first because my Dad is black then white because of my Mom. I thought the head of the household stuff applied to that.

I guess what confuses me the most is people that are bi-racial are they suppose to claim the race that their Dad is and then Mom comes second? Or what? Or maybe this is a stupid question to ask. :unsure-1:

bradwright
02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
so let me see if i understand this,,your saying Obama is black?:unsure-1:

Hughes_GOAT
02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I guess what confuses me the most is people that are bi-racial are they suppose to claim the race that their Dad is and then Mom comes second? Or what? Or maybe this is a stupid question to ask. :unsure-1:

i'm pretty sure that Jewish people are only considered Jewish by blood, if their mom is Jewish? don't know how that applies to blacks, whites, etc....but that's one example where the mom is the determining factor.

Hughes_GOAT
02-27-2009, 01:37 AM
also, i read somewhere that Obama's dad is not even full black, that he's mostly Arab but was born in Africa. so at the very least, if this is true, then he's half white and less than half black.

Hughes_GOAT
02-27-2009, 01:45 AM
here's one of the references to his dad not being black, possibly.

http://kennethelamb.blogspot.com/2008/02/barak-obama-questions-about-ethnic.html

Neezar
02-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm alittle bit confused by something here. :blink: Heck I'm getting even more confused by typing this out so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Obama is half black and half something else (Hawaiian or white?) I don't remember the other half on top of my head. Now here's what I'm confused by: some people argue that Obama isn't black. His Daddy was black, and by definition that makes him black. I don't get why people say the otherwise. Ok so he isn't "fully black" (black mom, black dad) but he's still black.

I am half black, half white (black Daddy, white Mommy). By definition that makes me black. Now you can get all technical and say that I'm bi-racial which would be correct, however on all my applications I put black first because my Dad is black then white because of my Mom. I thought the head of the household stuff applied to that.

Danelle, being able to claim whichever race you want was not freely given in the past. When blacks here were mainly slaves and for a while after when it was all about segregation, the babies were considered to be the race of the mother. That was to benefit politics among other things. Such as, if a white man impregnated a black woman the child couldn't claim to be white and have the same rights as a white man (such as voting, etc.)

Side note: Did you know that for a short time after the Civil War a white man was not allowed to vote if he had been involved in the rebellion (i.e. a man who fought for the south was only one thing that would meet this criteria) and neither could his decendants. However, at that time the black man could vote. Republicans had the monoply on the black vote so they certainly wanted any mixed babes to be considered black because it was an extra vote for them. And you could vote in the south if you had been in the rebellion IF you were black.

Black Mamba
02-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Wow, I learned something new today. Thanks Denise. :)

And thanks for digging that up Goat, that also clears some air up too.

County Mike
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Danelle, I think you can choose to go by whichever you want. Personally, I'd pick whatever one was best for the situation.

On a job application, etc. I put down "black" because it's likely to help you get the job. If you're trying to get into a snobby country club, put "white". :)

Take advantage of your options. Both of my parents are "white" but I was born in Spain. I'm going to put "Spaniard" down on any future applications.

TexasRN
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
In Texas for birth certificates on newborns we had to list the baby as whatever race mom is. Dad didn't come into play at all until after baby and mom were discharged from the hospital. Then they could get all that stuff changed if they wanted to but it is a hassle.

~Amy

rearnakedchoke
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM
i'm pretty sure that Jewish people are only considered Jewish by blood, if their mom is Jewish? don't know how that applies to blacks, whites, etc....but that's one example where the mom is the determining factor.
so how can people convert to Judaism if it is a blood thing?