PDA

View Full Version : Roman Polanski is a free man

J.B.
07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1643504/20100712/index.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

Roman Polanski Decision Blasted By L.A. District Attorney

Switzerland's Ministry of Justice announced that it would not extradite director Roman Polanski to the U.S. to face sentencing for child sex charges, but L.A. district attorney Steve Cooley said Monday (July 12) that extradition will be sought if Polanski is arrested someplace else.

"I am deeply disappointed that the Swiss authorities denied the request to extradite Roman Polanski," Cooley said in a statement released to MTV News. "Our office complied fully with all of the factual and legal requirements of the extradition treaty and requests by the U.S. and Swiss Departments of Justice and State. We will discuss with the Department of Justice the extradition of Roman Polanski if he's arrested in a cooperative jurisdiction."

CNN reported earlier that the 76-year-old director was set free after his arrest last year; the case has been going on for nearly 35 years. At the time, Polanski pleaded guilty in Los Angeles to having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977 and supplying her with champagne and Quaaludes during a photo shoot, but the director fled to Europe before his sentencing. In exchange for his guilty plea, rape and other charges were dropped at the time.

Although Polanski pleaded guilty to the one count of unlawful sexual intercourse, the remaining charges are pending since Polanski was never sentenced.

"We only formally request when we are notified by a government that the fugitive is in their country," Cooley said in the statement. "The request was filed immediately by this office after the Swiss notified us of Polanski's expected arrival at the Zurich film festival in September 2009."

Cooley adds that countries that won't release Polanski to the U.S. for sentencing are doing a "disservice to justice and other victims as a whole. To justify their finding to deny extradition on an issue that is unique to California law regarding conditional examination of a potentially unavailable witness is a rejection of the competency of the California courts. The Swiss could not have found a smaller hook on which to hang their hat."

This report is from MTV News.

Obviously Switzerland is cool with drugging and raping 13 year old girls.

Pathetic.

Bonnie
07-13-2010, 05:10 AM
http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1643504/20100712/index.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

Pathetic.

Apparently, it's okay with quite a few of the Hollywood and foreign film making crowd too. I guess rape is just a part of their "anything goes" mentality. Disgusting. :angry:

MattHughesRocks
07-13-2010, 05:17 AM
He's got to be the luckiest bastard alive huh?:blink:

J.B.
07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Apparently, it's okay with quite a few of the Hollywood and foreign film making crowd too. I guess rape is just a part of their "anything goes" mentality. Disgusting. :angry:

It's not only them, but a lot of keyboard warriors are on Polanski's side too...

Their general list of reasons are...

1. It was 30 years ago
2. The girl wants to drop it
3. The prosecution mishandled the case
4. The Judge lied about giving Roman a light sentence
5. America's justice system is corrupt
6. The victim was a slut who lied about her age
7. Polanski's family was murdered by Nazis

People never cease to amaze me. Always so quick to hack away at their keyboards and "damn the man" but too stupid to give Polanski the simple eye test and see that the guy is a creepy douchebag. My list when breaking down this case is real simple...

1. Polanski had a relationship with a 15 year old actress from one of his crappy movies between 1976-1979. Polanski was 43 when he started the relationship, and it was during that same time (1977) that he drugged and anally raped the 13 year old girl in this case.

2. Polanski was 56 years old in 1989 when he married a 23 year old (his current wife). I think it's safe to say that he likes em young, and he has the reputation of a playboy. Who knows what this weirdo is up to when he takes trips to Thailand. (a place where we have pursued extraditing him in the past, and a place well known for "sex-tourism" and underage age sex trafficking) :rolleyes:

3. He ran like a coward instead of pursuing a legal battle. If this rich SOB really thought he was getting steamrolled by the justice department his lawyers would have been able to fight it. He originally plead not guilty before agreeing to plea guilty to a lesser charge, if he truly felt he hadn't done what he was being accused of then why did he flee the country?

Miss Foxy
07-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Sick!! And even sicker the people that support him being a free man!! The victim has the victim mentality! He paid for his crimes.. Yeah right only payback I would like is him in the CA dept of Corrections getting plugged from the back like he did that 13yr old!!!:punch:

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Pathetic.

The thing about America is that its highly into extradition...and the same is not returned to the European Countries. We are expected to hand over people for far harsher sentances in the United States...but if an American does a crime against Europe, the United States refuses to extradite...infact, the United States wont even send deligates to public hearings...case in point, are what you call "friendly fire" accidents...that is to say when Americans accidently kill their own Allies on the battlefield....The Public Hearings are not courts of law, they are really just enquiries and a chance for the public to hear from the American point of view...but the Americans no show.

Now explain to me why, when a country prides its self on justice and equality, does the United States persistantly expect more then its prepared to give, and even writes treaties as such. The biggest laugh of all, is that these treaties are all between those countries who will deal with the United States, ie her closest allies.

Now I very much doubt that America and Switzerland have much going on between them. Its funny that the Americans assume that Switzerland will just give up its own prisoners. In Switzerland, its the Swiss authorities that have presidence and jurisdiction...it is NOT the Americans.

Now the United States is still trying to extradite that poor chap who was searching for little green men, and hacked into Nasa and the Pentagon :rolleyes: an autistic chap I believe. The last Government more or less sealed his fate...but the most recent Government now in power, is rethinking whether they dare say NO to America or not. David Cameron is also entirely serious about giving compensation to the prisoners of Guantanamo Bay that have been released...I dont think that will go down to well with the Americans either.

You'll note Scotland has been absolutely silent since it sent that supposedly terminally ill plain bomber whose name I forget, back to wherever it was he came from, who I dont think has died yet...and whose appeasement seems to have bought some sort of fuel import/export exchange. Though of course all under the last Government

I dont know nowt about the guy in this thread, if it really did happen so long ago, you would have thought the Americans would have found him a very, very long time ago. I dont condone his actions, but neither do I condemn the Swiss Authorities for their decision

J.B.
07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Its funny that the Americans assume that Switzerland will just give up its own prisoners. In Switzerland, its the Swiss authorities that have presidence and jurisdiction...it is NOT the Americans.

Dude, the only reason the Swiss arrested the guy was because of their extradition treaty with us...:rolleyes:

In case you missed my three points outlining my view on Roman Polanski here you go...

1. Polanski had a relationship with a 15 year old actress from one of his crappy movies between 1976-1979. Polanski was 43 when he started the relationship, and it was during that same time (1977) that he drugged and anally raped the 13 year old girl in this case.

2. Polanski was 56 years old in 1989 when he married a 23 year old (his current wife). I think it's safe to say that he likes em young, and he has the reputation of a playboy. Who knows what this weirdo is up to when he takes trips to Thailand. (a place where we have pursued extraditing him in the past, and a place well known for "sex-tourism" and underage age sex trafficking)

3. He ran like a coward instead of pursuing a legal battle. If this rich SOB really thought he was getting steamrolled by the justice department his lawyers would have been able to fight it. He originally plead not guilty before agreeing to plea guilty to a lesser charge, if he truly felt he hadn't done what he was being accused of then why did he flee the country?

The guy is not some "poor chap who was searching for little green men". He is a sleazy celebrity narcissist at best and a scumbag pedophile at worst. There is no defense for people like him.

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
1)Dude, the only reason the Swiss arrested the guy was because of their extradition treaty with us...:rolleyes:

In case you missed my three points outlining my view on Roman Polanski here you go...

2)The guy is not some "poor chap who was searching for little green men". He is a sleazy celebrity narcissist at best and a scumbag pedophile at worst. There is no defense for people like him.

1) are you sure of that. They might be legally bound to tell you if they arrest someone involved in an American crime...

2) yeah...that wasnt a reference to Roman...try actually READING WHAT I PUT :rolleyes:

flo
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM

It's not only them, but a lot of keyboard warriors are on Polanski's side too...

Their general list of reasons are...

1. It was 30 years ago
2. The girl wants to drop it
3. The prosecution mishandled the case
4. The Judge lied about giving Roman a light sentence
5. America's justice system is corrupt
6. The victim was a slut who lied about her age
7. Polanski's family was murdered by Nazis

People never cease to amaze me. Always so quick to hack away at their keyboards and "damn the man" but too stupid to give Polanski the simple eye test and see that the guy is a creepy douchebag. My list when breaking down this case is real simple...

2. Polanski was 56 years old in 1989 when he married a 23 year old (his current wife). I think it's safe to say that he likes em young, and he has the reputation of a playboy. Who knows what this weirdo is up to when he takes trips to Thailand. (a place where we have pursued extraditing him in the past, and a place well known for "sex-tourism" and underage age sex trafficking) :rolleyes:

Sickening, isn't it? I think that's one of the reasons our culture is going down the toilet; more and more people rationalize wrongdoing - even crimes, as is this case - until the line gets pushed beyond comprehension. Polanski raped and brutalized a minor and fled justice. This case won't be closed until he returns to face trial for his crimes and serves the penalty decided by the court.

Another case in point that illustrates how we as a society view criminals is this "barefoot bandit". The media is totally complicit in this attitude, I can't stomach watching the coverage; they use this middle name in reports (this reserved for the sensationalist serial killers and antiheroes of our day) while they *wink* *wink* discuss his numerous crimes and play video of his idiotic mother praising the demon spawn's intelligence and ingenuity.

:vomit:

:angry:

flo
07-13-2010, 08:45 PM
I dont know nowt about the guy in this thread, if it really did happen so long ago, you would have thought the Americans would have found him a very, very long time ago.

We knew exactly where he was, he wasn't exactly a hermit in France, Dave. They didn't extradite him because they admire paedophilia and think it's rare fun.

Dethbob
07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
The thing about America is that its highly into extradition...and the same is not returned to the European Countries.

Can you relate an instance of America NOT handing over a convicted child rapist?

J.B.
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
1) are you sure of that. They might be legally bound to tell you if they arrest someone involved in an American crime...

Yes, I am fairly sure of that given the information provided.

2) yeah...that wasnt a reference to Roman...try actually READING WHAT I PUT :rolleyes:

I know it wasn't bro! lol

I was just saying that to put emphasis on the fact that this guy is a true scumbag...:laugh:

J.B.
07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Sickening, isn't it? I think that's one of the reasons our culture is going down the toilet; more and more people rationalize wrongdoing - even crimes, as is this case - until the line gets pushed beyond comprehension. Polanski raped and brutalized a minor and fled justice. This case won't be closed until he returns to face trial for his crimes and serves the penalty decided by the court.

Another case in point that illustrates how we as a society view criminals is this "barefoot bandit". The media is totally complicit in this attitude, I can't stomach watching the coverage; they use this middle name in reports (this reserved for the sensationalist serial killers and antiheroes of our day) while they *wink* *wink* discuss his numerous crimes and play video of his idiotic mother praising the demon spawn's intelligence and ingenuity.

:vomit:

:angry:

It is sickening.

I almost wish the US would just formally drop all efforts to capture this POS and just give him free reign to travel wherever he wants to go....LOL...

God's justice plays out in the end...I just wish I could heel-stomp the guy's face Wanderlei Silva style once before that....:laugh:

Bonnie
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder who got to the Swiss because it looked like when they first arrested him, everyone thought he'd be extradited back to the U.S.

Dave mentioned that terrorist who Scotland let go because he had cancer; I heard on the news the other day he's doing really well. That's what I figured would happen--he'd miraculously be better or recover once he was back in his own country. :rolleyes:

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
We knew exactly where he was, he wasn't exactly a hermit in France, Dave. They didn't extradite him because they admire paedophilia and think it's rare fun.

If the Americans really want him, the Americans have the ability to have him, Flo.

But you'd have to have more then some Lawyer dissapointed in the Swiss Judiciary.

Unfortunately...I'm not to sure how up to it your Secretary of State is. Condi Rice would have made the Swiss give him up. You have to have that level of want in Government, directly arriving in Geneva...you'd soon see the Swiss change their mind.

J.B.
07-13-2010, 10:40 PM
If the Americans really want him, the Americans have the ability to have him, Flo.

But you'd have to have more then some Lawyer dissapointed in the Swiss Judiciary.

Unfortunately...I'm not to sure how up to it your Secretary of State is. Condi Rice would have made the Swiss give him up. You have to have that level of want in Government, directly arriving in Geneva...you'd soon see the Swiss change their mind.

Really bro?

Are you saying that if we wanted him we could have him, but at the same time saying we shouldn't be surprised the Swiss didn't turn him over?

Please explain how Condi could have handled this better, considering she had basically NO CALL in this, just like Hillary Clinton does?

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Can you relate an instance of America NOT handing over a convicted child rapist?

The United States of America is not obliged to hand over anyone, especially not a US Citizen

Though I dont know of any details, I did once know the facts about the treaty we are currently part of.

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Really bro?

2)Are you saying that if we wanted him we could have him, but at the same time saying we shouldn't be surprised the Swiss didn't turn him over?

3) Please explain how Condi could have handled this better, considering she had basically NO CALL in this, just like Hillary Clinton does?

1) yes really. If The United States truely wanted that person, they would get him. Please note, when I say that collection of words I do NOT mean a Supreme Court, neither do I mean some Court Circuit of a particular State...I mean the Federal Government, I mean the Intelligence Agencies, and I mean if needs be the Military.

2) If you really wanted him this wouldnt be a 35 year trial JB :laugh: He'd have never got to switzerland in the first place. The "We" is two different things. I am not talking about some Lawyer in California..."We" is again very much the "Royal We" I'm talking about your Federal Government...because IF the US want to get things done, thats the route they take.

Who spoke out against BP...was it any Governor in the Southern State, or was it a prominent figure in the Federal Government?

3) The point im making is, your Government doesnt actually seem to be involved in this. If it did, you would see your Secretary of State acting as Foreign Policy maker. I have absolutely no idea what Hillary Clinton is made of because we've actually seen incredibly little of her on the world stage, compared to some of her Predecessors.

You want to do some research into how Condi handled a particular TV station after 9/11. That Woman is truely petrifying...I was terrified she was going to run for President :unsure:

I truely believe that if the United States wanted that person, deeply enough, they could get him, parts of the United States wanting it deeply isnt enough.

flo
07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I wonder who got to the Swiss because it looked like when they first arrested him, everyone thought he'd be extradited back to the U.S.

That's what I was wondering too, Bonnie. It sure seems like an about face. But what can you expect from a country who chose to stay "neutral" while Hitler was murdering millions of Jews along with Jehovah's Witnesses, gays, the Roma and other "undesirables"?

flo
07-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Good thing they make the world's best chocolate or I might have to declare an Irish fatwa on them...

:wink:

J.B.
07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
1) yes really. If The United States truely wanted that person, they would get him. Please note, when I say that collection of words I do NOT mean a Supreme Court, neither do I mean some Court Circuit of a particular State...I mean the Federal Government, I mean the Intelligence Agencies, and I mean if needs be the Military.

2) If you really wanted him this wouldnt be a 35 year trial JB :laugh: He'd have never got to switzerland in the first place. The "We" is two different things. I am not talking about some Lawyer in California..."We" is again very much the "Royal We" I'm talking about your Federal Government...because IF the US want to get things done, thats the route they take.

Who spoke out against BP...was it any Governor in the Southern State, or was it a prominent figure in the Federal Government?

3) The point im making is, your Government doesnt actually seem to be involved in this. If it did, you would see your Secretary of State acting as Foreign Policy maker. I have absolutely no idea what Hillary Clinton is made of because we've actually seen incredibly little of her on the world stage, compared to some of her Predecessors.

You want to do some research into how Condi handled a particular TV station after 9/11. That Woman is truely petrifying...I was terrified she was going to run for President :unsure:

I truely believe that if the United States wanted that person, deeply enough, they could get him, parts of the United States wanting it deeply isnt enough.

So your point is "it must not be a very big deal because the USA can do whatever they want"? Right?

I'm pretty sure we want Bin Laden a lot more than Polanski....where is he at?

flo
07-13-2010, 11:26 PM

With all due respect, I have to call "bull". We had to let UBL slip out of our hands at Tora Bora because we couldn't override - read: offend - our host's military decisions and had to be "sensitive" to the ethnic hierarchy there. We're hardly going to have a commando raid a la the Eichmann kidnapping for Roman Polanski.

Besides, the community organizer is making every effort to rehabilitate the world's love for us and he wouldn't risk anything that might damage that undertaking.

flo
07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Disclaimer: I posted that before I read JB's comment about UBL.

Great minds think alike!! :w00t:

J.B.
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Disclaimer: I posted that before I read JB's comment about UBL.

Great minds think alike!! :w00t:

And we are usually American!

WOOT WOOT!!!!

:laugh:

Don't be mad at me Dave....:laugh:

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
So your point is "it must not be a very big deal because the USA can do whatever they want"? Right?

I'm pretty sure we want Bin Laden a lot more than Polanski....where is he at?

Probably dead.

He's probably been dead for a very, very long time now.

Either that or they have him and they just dont tell you that.

Plus...its far easier to get to someone in a civilized country, then a barbarian in the wilderness. Even the United States might struggle with a large wilderness...but so long as whoever they want remains within society then they can be easily found with the resources the United States has at its disposal.

...and here is the thing, at the end of the day the answer to your question is Yes. Actually the Federal Government CAN do whatever it likes. I think there are boundaries it would never cross...but I think thats different from saying those boundaries couldnt be crossed.

They can do whatever they like to either you or I.

I tend to think that whilst we are all held in webs of power, the flow of dominance and submission that is, I dont think power, as in influential ability is really a thing governed by mankind at all. I think the energy for such an affair is pretty much governed by the war rageing all around us as we speak. Even Saint Paul says that our battle isnt actually against human insitutitions, but the forces behind those insitutions when they are being governed by something not of GODs intent.

Tyburn
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
And we are usually American!

WOOT WOOT!!!!

:laugh:

Don't be mad at me Dave....:laugh:

I freely admit that One American is equal to a plural of Europeans....a great multitude of French

ahahahahahahah :laugh::laugh:

Miss Foxy
07-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I freely admit that One American is equal to a plural of Europeans....a great multitude of French

ahahahahahahah :laugh::laugh:

Did someone say the French!?!!:timebomb:

rearnakedchoke
07-14-2010, 01:05 AM
He's got to be the luckiest bastard alive huh?:blink:

well, he did have his wife and unborn child killed by the manson family .... so he hasn't always been lucky ....

but the swiss are a bunch of morons for not extraditing him ... they have an agreement with the US and there should have been no question as to whether he should have been extradited .. he should have been sent to the US to be sentenced within a few days of being arrested ... so much for being neutral ...

no other euro country will extradite him ... switzerland was their only chance .. now this bastard gets to roam free ...

Tyburn
07-14-2010, 12:38 PM
well, he did have his wife and unborn child killed by the manson family .... so he hasn't always been lucky ....

but the swiss are a bunch of morons for not extraditing him ... they have an agreement with the US and there should have been no question as to whether he should have been extradited .. he should have been sent to the US to be sentenced within a few days of being arrested ... so much for being neutral ...

no other euro country will extradite him ... switzerland was their only chance .. now this bastard gets to roam free ...

you know what the issue is in this case. Its not his crime..I think its his nationality. The guy is not a Citizen of the United States is he?

I bet if he was arrested in England we would turn him over...

VCURamFan
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, he's a friggin' frog. No wonder he's so poplar for being a pedophile: the French are so awesome! :punch:

Spiritwalker
07-15-2010, 09:52 PM
The guy is not some "poor chap who was searching for little green men". He is a sleazy celebrity narcissist at best and a scumbag pedophile at worst. There is no defense for people like him.

Well Said!