PDA

View Full Version : Another death in MMA

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Michael Kirkham died early Monday following his professional MMA debut this past Saturday on a pro and amateur card in Aiken, S.C., according to a report.

Kirkham, a lightweight nicknamed "Tree" for towering at 6-feet-9, was 30.

Kirkham competed on a Dash Entertainment and King MMA co-promoted "Confrontation at the Convocation Center" event at the USC Aiken Convocation Center, a card regulated by the South Carolina Athletic Commission.

"Obviously our thoughts and prayers are with his family, other than that I have no comment," Sam King, a promoter of Saturday's card, told MMAFighting.com.

According to WRDW in Augusta (http://www.wrdw.com/sports/headlines/97325969.html), Kirkham was transported to Aiken Regional Medical Center from the venue following the fight and was pronounced dead of a brain hemorrhage Monday morning.

Kirkham, who according to his own Facebook page, held an amateur record of 3-3, lost the fight Saturday by referee stoppage.

Kirkham was the captain of his own MMA team and according to his "Fayetteville Independents" teammate John Yox's Facebook page, had "severe bleeding in the brain" and had been kept alive with the help of a machine. A message left on Yox's voicemail was unreturned.

The South Carolina Athletic Commission requires that all boxers and MMA fighters submit an original or certified lab report indicating that the competitor is HIV, Hepatitis B and C negative. Also, the fighter must complete an ophthalmologic (eye) exam as well as a physical by a doctor.

Kirkham becomes the second fighter to pass away due to causes from a regulated MMA fight in the US. The first known death in a regulated event was Sam Vasquez (http://www.mmafighting.com/2008/04/08/mma-fighter-sam-vasquez-died-of-severe-brain-injury-suffered-in/), who died on Nov. 30, 2007 from head injuries on a local card in Houston, Texas. Vazquez was in a coma for 42 days after the fight in October.
Don't read the comments. They'll only make you wanna shoot someone. :angry:

J.B.
06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Indeed this is a tragedy. My prayers are with the family and friends.

After reading around a little, I came across a few comments, of course these are just comments so they are not verifiable at this point...

I'm reading that he was slammed on the back of his head and neck which immediately rendered him limp and unconscious and then he was hit with some ground and pound. The fight supposedly lasted around 1 minute.

flo
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Indeed this is a tragedy. My prayers are with the family and friends.

After reading around a little, I came across a few comments, of course these are just comments so they are not verifiable at this point...

I'm reading that he was slammed on the back of his head and neck which immediately rendered him limp and unconscious and then he was hit with some ground and pound. The fight supposedly lasted around 1 minute.
Oh, that's just awful. I wondered what happened to the poor man, since Ben's article didn't specify.

Do you think this could have resulted from poor reffing? When I've seen fighters get slammed on their heads it makes my stomach lurch, I'm always expecting the worst but it usually doesn't even knock them out.

Very, very sad. My sympathies to his family.

J.B.
06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Do you think this could have resulted from poor reffing? When I've seen fighters get slammed on their heads it makes my stomach lurch, I'm always expecting the worst but it usually doesn't even knock them out.

Without seeing a video it's all just speculation, but in one of the comments I read that the stoppage was not late.

Obviously I'm not a doctor and I have no idea about this being a contributing factor in any way, but I do wonder about the muscle mass and bone density of a person who is 6'9 and is fighting at lightweight. You can see him here on Youtube in one of his other fights, he is very skinny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhKU0u3CzXY

Unfortunately, this will ultimately happen more as the sport progresses.

logrus
06-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Without seeing a video it's all just speculation, but in one of the comments I read that the stoppage was not late.

Obviously I'm not a doctor and I have no idea about this being a contributing factor in any way, but I do wonder about the muscle mass and bone density of a person who is 6'9 and is fighting at lightweight. You can see him here on Youtube in one of his other fights, he is very skinny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhKU0u3CzXY

Not only that but could cutting weight also be a factor as well.

Its possible you can get a hemorrhage from a slam. Landing wrong or just the right amount of force is all it takes for the brain the hit the skull...

adamt
06-29-2010, 02:00 AM
i know for a fact that some of these wrestlers that start out when they are like 5 and 6 and 7 years old, mess the membrane of their brains up with repeated concussions and just plain bumps at such an early age,

of course i'm not saying that was the case, but who knows if he was more apt to brain hemm. because of something like this?

Silverback
06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
To the family my God be with you at your time of need, God bless.

J.B.
06-29-2010, 02:13 AM
i know for a fact that some of these wrestlers that start out when they are like 5 and 6 and 7 years old, mess the membrane of their brains up with repeated concussions and just plain bumps at such an early age,

of course i'm not saying that was the case, but who knows if he was more apt to brain hemm. because of something like this?

Pre-existing conditions are often found with fighters who have died after fights, however just as I was talking about it the thread about Cyborg vs Jan Finney, some fighters have died from shots that appear to be much less than what we know happens with slams, or excessive beatings.

Becky Zerlentes....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVmtqIdNKs

MattHughesRocks
06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
And he took a bunchof blows to the back of the head here to. What the hell? Why aren't the refs reffing?

flo
06-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Pre-existing conditions are often found with fighters who have died after fights, however just as I was talking about it the thread about Cyborg vs Jan Finney, some fighters have died from shots that appear to be much less than what we know happens with slams, or excessive beatings.

Becky Zerlentes....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVmtqIdNKs

That's just horrible. I see what you mean, JB, that punch looked like nothing much at all...:cry:

J.B.
06-29-2010, 03:14 AM
That's just horrible. I see what you mean, JB, that punch looked like nothing much at all...:cry:

She had no pre-existing conditions that were found or reported either.

Her case is one that is particularly interesting because it brings up the ongoing debate over the safety of headgear in training and in amateur fights.

J.B.
06-29-2010, 03:22 AM
And he took a bunchof blows to the back of the head here to. What the hell? Why aren't the refs reffing?

I actually didn't watch the whole thing until you mentioned that. That was ridiculous.

In fact, it's funny because a lot of times people misuse the term rabbit punches (even I do it sometimes) when talking about shots that are to the back of the head, although he actually did rabbit punch him in those flurry of shots (a rabbit punch being to the neck or base of the skull).

logrus
06-29-2010, 03:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnGkV6qmTw

Shows what goes on to the brain when a punch is delivered.

Really though I think I will wait for the autopsy to see if he might have had a prior condition which was caused by his MMA fight.

Sad about the girl, nothing prior with her as well?

J.B.
06-29-2010, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnGkV6qmTw

Shows what goes on to the brain when a punch is delivered.

Really though I think I will wait for the autopsy to see if he might have had a prior condition which was caused by his MMA fight.

Sad about the girl, nothing prior with her as well?

I agree it could be a pre-existing condition, and these things can happen in almost ALL sports, but there will be those that use it to label the sport in a profoundly negative light. If sadly, but without a doubt WHEN, this happens in a major event that is getting national coverage, it's really going to blow back hard on the sport at first, and possibly for a while.

In regards to Becky Zerlentes, as far as everything I have read and can find, the final results of the autopsy were blunt force trauma nothing else was reported. There are quite of few boxers who never had pre-existing conditions but were still seriously hurt or killed in the ring, and there is no way to know with a lot fighters back in the old days.

Twinsmama
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Not sure if you guys remember what happened to my son or not. He had a bad head injury when he was 4. The drs say the skull should heal up stronger than it was before and there should be no lasting affects. We really thought he'd play football because of his size. Now I'm hoping he becomes a dr or something that requires no physical contact. I don't know medically what can happen but common sense says don't let him hit his head again.

Tyburn
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
very sad.

But two deaths as a direct cause in nearly twenty years history of a close combat sport comparatively shows how safe, in terms of mortality, MMA really is.

F34R
07-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm only about 25 mins from Aiken... I was actually supposed to go to this with some friends, but ended up having to work instead. Thoughts and prayers out to the friends and family.