PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Insomnia

Buzzard
06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Instead of fighting insomnia, Iíve decided to embrace it. I just saw a beautiful sunrise this morning and enjoyed the cool breeze that accompanied it. The sunrise was most glorified and more majestic than I could ever have imagined.

While I have been inflicted with this insomnia for the past three years at least, it has taken me this long to embrace it. These are the hours in which many people do not get to take advantage of. I finally decided that this isnít a bad thing, but a thing of beauty and something to be enjoyed. At this time the oppressive heat of summer has yet to grasp the calm, cool and comfortable new morning day given upon us/ or at least me on a daily basis. Rather than fight this, I have finally decided that this is not a bad thing, but rather a thing that has been brought upon me for a reason. This reason being is that I have rarely embraced this hands-on experience in which I consider to be a most magnificent part of the human experience; that being the dawn of a new day. I was just experiencing the beauty of the sunrise over the lake in which I live, and seeing the new day brought forth opened up my eyes to things in which I have been missing. No longer will I dread these times; rather that I will embrace these times and live and learn from them until I reach their full potential. There is such a beauty in seeing a day growing from between infancy until it has reached itís full peak in adulthood. I see now that there is joy in every waking moment, even those when most folks are asleep and cuddled in their respective comforting attire. The gift in which I was given this morning was something I shall not soon forget.

If this didnít open my eyes, nothing else will. I wish upon all of you the joyous wonders that I was fortunate enough to experience.

Hope springs eternal.

Peace to all!

Buzzard

Neezar
06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Insomnia sucks the life out of you. Record your dawn and keep searching for sleep!

:laugh:

TexasRN
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I have had chronic insomnia since I was an infant. Really. It sucks. I don't embrace it. I can tell a huge difference in my thought process and quickness when I am in a bad cycle of no sleep. I have gone as long as 3 days without sleeping more than a few minutes at a time. I've had to call out to work due to it. No fun.

~Amy

Dethbob
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Excellent Post! I wrestled with insomnia for years, and there is really nothing you can do about it. There are many insomnia pills and potions and exercises guaranteed to enrich their purveyors, but nothing that will cure it. Something in your Soul is keeping you awake, and until it works itself out it is not going to go away. For me there were many beautiful moments, some terrifying or horrible, but all revealing in some unique way. There were also many very, very long next days at work.

;) You might try reading Leviticus!

TexasRN
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Excellent Post! I wrestled with insomnia for years, and there is really nothing you can do about it. There are many insomnia pills and potions and exercises guaranteed to enrich their purveyors, but nothing that will cure it. Something in your Soul is keeping you awake, and until it works itself out it is not going to go away. For me there were many beautiful moments, some terrifying or horrible, but all revealing in some unique way. There were also many very, very long next days at work.

;) You might try reading Leviticus!

Eh, a big part of mine is caused by restless leg syndrome, not something in my soul. I have my dad to thank for passing that wonderful gene on to me.

~Amy

County Mike
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
You probably all feel guilty about something.

I sleep like a baby. :)

NateR
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I used to suffer from insomnia until I realized that my main problem was that I was trying too hard to go to sleep.

Things that helps insomnia:

1. Go to bed - don't stay up on the computer or watching TV and assume you have insomnia because you are not tired. Go to bed, lay down and shut off all outside stimuli.

2. No clocks - at least no clocks that have light up displays. If it's too easy to check the time, then you will find yourself constantly checking the clock to see how much sleep you AREN'T getting and this will cause you to stress out and make it even more difficult to get to sleep.

3. Hunger, thirst and pain will all keep you awake. If you are hungry, then eat something, but not too much because being full will keep you awake as well. If you are thirsty enough that it is keeping you awake, then you are most likely dehydrated and really need to drink some water. For minor aches and pains, take an aspirin or its equivalent.

4. Keep a journal - if you find yourself stressing out over problems in your everyday life, then write your worries down just before going to bed. This will help you to relax and forget about everything long enough to get to sleep.

5. Work the night shift - believe me, I never appreciated getting a good night's sleep until I lost the option for one 4 nights out of the week. Now, when I actually have a night off, my favorite part of the day is going to bed at 9 PM and sleeping until 5 or 6 AM.

MattHughesRocks
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Doctor Phil but I prefer drugs for mine. My soul keeps me awake forever! :frantics:

NateR
06-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks Doctor Phil but I prefer drugs for mine. My soul keeps me awake forever! :frantics:

I tried sleeping pills, they don't work on me. Just ask Boomer. :)

MattHughesRocks
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Pain pills that put people out will keep me up all night so I get it :laugh:

I tried sleeping pills, they don't work on me. Just ask Boomer. :)

J.B.
06-28-2010, 04:42 PM
When I was younger I could literally sleep for like 10 or 12 hours when I was tired, now I am wide awake and looking for things to do after only 4 or 5 hours of sleep. If I sleep any longer than 5 or 6 hours I feel like crap most of the day.

Miss Foxy
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Hope you find a resolution to Insomnia and I know firsthand it aint no joke!! :cry: I prefer the holistic approach vs being a pill popper.. Sorry I don't wanna go down like Anna Nicole, Heath, Corey, and the list goes on......

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
1. Go to bed - don't stay up on the computer or watching TV and assume you have insomnia because you are not tired. Go to bed, lay down and shut off all outside stimuli. O, is that my problem? :huh:

I coulda sworn I have insomnia, but I guess it might have something to do to all the Mountain Dew, 5 Hour Energy, Donuts, No-Doz & Ginseng I cram down my gullet everynight . . . :laugh:

Sometimes I feel like asking what it is in your soul that's keeping you awake.

Fortunately, by the time I start typing out the question, I realize who I'm talking to & run away in terror! :ninja:

MattHughesRocks
06-29-2010, 03:54 AM

Sometimes I feel like asking what it is in your soul that's keeping you awake.

Fortunately, by the time I start typing out the question, I realize who I'm talking to & run away in terror! :ninja:

Neezar
06-29-2010, 04:43 AM
I had a patient ask me, "Can I get something for my nerves? I haven't slept in THREE days." As I start walking out she says, "Oh and a Pepsi, too."

:rolleyes:

MattHughesRocks
06-29-2010, 04:45 AM

I had a patient ask me, "Can I get something for my nerves? I haven't slept in THREE days." As I start walking out she says, "Oh and a Pepsi, too."

:rolleyes:

lyndsey823
06-29-2010, 04:51 AM
oh, i have had insomnia for years, since like the 7th grade. it made me miserable. i can't even tell you how many times i have stayed up all night and had to work the next morning at 7. like Amy, i do not embrace it at all. the only thing that has worked for me is pills. and i kind of enjoy them lol

County Mike
06-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Bunch of druggies on this forum.

MattHughesRocks
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Hell to the yeah:laugh:
But really, if I don't I will NEVER sleep. If I can't sleep I can't function and I HAVE to get up and go to work everyday. Statistically speaking, driving on no sleep = drunk driving, or anything you may do.
One little pill and I wake up everyday rested and ready to go ( once I get that IV of coffee in:laugh:) They are not narcotics. It's not like you get a high or anything fun. Just makes you tired and able to sleep. If there was a fire or something I'd still be able to get up and get the hell out.
Who invented sleeping pills anyway? I wanna give him/her a big fat kiss on the cheek :w00t:

Bunch of druggies on this forum.

VCURamFan
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Hell to the yeah:laugh:
But really, if I don't I will NEVER sleep. If I can't sleep I can't function and I HAVE to get up and go to work everyday. Statistically speaking, driving on no sleep = drunk driving, or anything you may do.
One little pill and I wake up everyday rested and ready to go ( once I get that IV of coffee in:laugh:) They are not narcotics. It's not like you get a high or anything fun. Just makes you tired and able to sleep. If there was a fire or something I'd still be able to get up and get the hell out.
Who invented sleeping pills anyway? I wanna give him/her a big fat kiss on the cheek :w00t:
It was me! :w00t: :happydancing:

MattHughesRocks
06-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Mike is teaching you well Grass hopper :laugh:

It was me! :w00t: :happydancing:

VCURamFan
06-30-2010, 04:17 AM
As a male, I've always had an innate talent for scamming on women. Mike's just helping me refine it! :happydancing:

lyndsey823
06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
i'm in complete agreement with Michelle!! if it weren't for sleeping pills, i'd lose my mind. not getting sleep is the worst thing ever. i just lay there all night staring at the ceiling.

Buzzard
06-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Pain pills that put people out will keep me up all night so I get it :laugh:

Yep, same here. Even a sleeping pill is no guarantee that I will fall asleep early, though it really helps. I don't like taking them every night so I have to pick and choose when I take them.

I was so tired when I started this thread that I didn't remember I started it, along with another that I posted in after starting this one. I seriously thought someone had hacked my account at first.

MattHughesRocks
06-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Maybe someone did :unsure-1:

Yep, same here. Even a sleeping pill is no guarantee that I will fall asleep early, though it really helps. I don't like taking them every night so I have to pick and choose when I take them.

I was so tired when I started this thread that I didn't remember I started it, along with another that I posted in after starting this one. I seriously thought someone had hacked my account at first.

MattHughesRocks
06-30-2010, 06:35 AM
:laugh:Kidding! :w00t:

Your not the first forum member to tell me that they were so tired they didn't remember posting by the way :ninja:

NateR
06-30-2010, 07:23 AM

I was actually going to mention that your initial post was screaming "sleep-deprived dementia" from the start. :laugh:

County Mike
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM

And your "last on the page" post wasn't missed either. Maybe the student can now teach the master.

I really have no trouble sleeping at all. In fact, I have more trouble staying awake, especially in meetings. If I'm not the one talking, it's almost impossible for me to stay awake. I have a built-in screen saver for my brain. If idle for too long, I go into sleep mode. My boss knows this and keeps me out of meetings as much as possible. In that regard, it works in my favor. I napped all through college too.

Buzzard
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I was actually going to mention that your initial post was screaming "sleep-deprived dementia" from the start. :laugh:

At that would have been one time when I wouldn't have argued. The sunrise was nice along with the cool breeze. I hope I can get to sleep before the sun rises this morning.

Good night all I hope.

DonnaMaria
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I actually just had a sleep test done the other night.......in an effort to diagnose my sleep problems.

It was very.............interesting. Anyone else ever have one of these things done?!?!?

flo
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
My husband, Tom, had one; ditto for my mom.

I can tell you what your results are going to be, DonnaMaria. You have sleep apnea and they will be happy to sell you a CPAP machine.

I think it's the latest scam, er, fad.

Play The Man
07-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I used to suffer from insomnia until I realized that my main problem was that I was trying too hard to go to sleep.

Things that helps insomnia:

1. Go to bed - don't stay up on the computer or watching TV and assume you have insomnia because you are not tired. Go to bed, lay down and shut off all outside stimuli.

2. No clocks - at least no clocks that have light up displays. If it's too easy to check the time, then you will find yourself constantly checking the clock to see how much sleep you AREN'T getting and this will cause you to stress out and make it even more difficult to get to sleep.

3. Hunger, thirst and pain will all keep you awake. If you are hungry, then eat something, but not too much because being full will keep you awake as well. If you are thirsty enough that it is keeping you awake, then you are most likely dehydrated and really need to drink some water. For minor aches and pains, take an aspirin or its equivalent.

4. Keep a journal - if you find yourself stressing out over problems in your everyday life, then write your worries down just before going to bed. This will help you to relax and forget about everything long enough to get to sleep.

5. Work the night shift - believe me, I never appreciated getting a good night's sleep until I lost the option for one 4 nights out of the week. Now, when I actually have a night off, my favorite part of the day is going to bed at 9 PM and sleeping until 5 or 6 AM.

The importance of sleep hygiene can not be emphasized enough. Don't have a TV, computer, etc. in your bedroom. The bedroom should only be used for sleeping (and making sweet, sweet love, if you are married). Make the room as dark as possible - use blackout curtains if you must. Make the room as quiet as possible - close the door, carpet the room to muffle sound, etc. Keep the room cool and comfortable - it is easier to sleep in air conditioning. Wean yourself off all stimulants and depressants - coffee and alcohol being the two biggest offenders. Schedule your exercise in the morning, not the evening. If you are in bed and can't fall asleep, leave the bedroom after 15-30 minutes. Don't lie awake in the bed for hours. Try reading. If you are up all night, don't take a nap - force yourself to stay up the entire day so you are exhausted at bedtime.

DonnaMaria
07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
My husband, Tom, had one; ditto for my mom.

I can tell you what your results are going to be, DonnaMaria. You have sleep apnea and they will be happy to sell you a CPAP machine.

I think it's the latest scam, er, fad.

LOL! I know!!! They tried to sell me one already! They gave me some literature about it, and I when I first read it, I thought it was called a CRAP machine! lolol! :laugh::laugh:

I've had sleep apnea for a while and the first person to diagnose it was my oldest daughter! lol! :laugh:She used her cell phone to video tape me one night when she was bunking in with me. I looked at the clip and sure enough, I would stop breathing every now and again..............

I also clench my jaw while sleeping, have restless legs, and I'm in pain from my RA. So I don't think there is really much hope for me ever having a really good nights sleep. I take sleeping pills now but I really want to be able to sleep without them.

I mainly had the sleep test done because my ENT guy is concerned about the severity of my apnea with respect to my surgery. He said something about apnea being a problem with anesthesia...........?

I'll know more at my next visit.

DonnaMaria
07-02-2010, 03:46 AM
The importance of sleep hygiene can not be emphasized enough. Don't have a TV, computer, etc. in your bedroom. The bedroom should only be used for sleeping (and making sweet, sweet love, if you are married). Make the room as dark as possible - use blackout curtains if you must. Make the room as quiet as possible - close the door, carpet the room to muffle sound, etc. Keep the room cool and comfortable - it is easier to sleep in air conditioning. Wean yourself off all stimulants and depressants - coffee and alcohol being the two biggest offenders. Schedule your exercise in the morning, not the evening. If you are in bed and can't fall asleep, leave the bedroom after 15-30 minutes. Don't lie awake in the bed for hours. Try reading. If you are up all night, don't take a nap - force yourself to stay up the entire day so you are exhausted at bedtime.

Well there is my problem. I'm not doing ANYTHING that you or Nate suggested. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.:huh:

No wonder I can't sleep.........................:ashamed:

Play The Man
07-02-2010, 04:27 AM
LOL! I know!!! They tried to sell me one already! They gave me some literature about it, and I when I first read it, I thought it was called a CRAP machine! lolol! :laugh::laugh:

I've had sleep apnea for a while and the first person to diagnose it was my oldest daughter! lol! :laugh:She used her cell phone to video tape me one night when she was bunking in with me. I looked at the clip and sure enough, I would stop breathing every now and again..............

I also clench my jaw while sleeping, have restless legs, and I'm in pain from my RA. So I don't think there is really much hope for me ever having a really good nights sleep. I take sleeping pills now but I really want to be able to sleep without them.

I mainly had the sleep test done because my ENT guy is concerned about the severity of my apnea with respect to my surgery. He said something about apnea being a problem with anesthesia...........?

I'll know more at my next visit.

You really need to treat your sleep apnea. If you have documented apneic episodes and desaturations on a sleep test, you should definitely try CPAP. Nasal CPAP might be more tolerable. No wonder you are getting such poor sleep.:sleep: