PDA

View Full Version : Parent brawl erupts at CA kindergarten graduation

MattHughesRocks
06-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I sure hope these kids forget about this as they grow up. Can you believe it? :scared0015:

Authorities say two women have been arrested following a parents' brawl that interrupted a Southern California kindergarten graduation ceremony.

School officials placed Puesta del Sol Elementary in the desert town of Victorville on lockdown Wednesday morning after a fight broke out among a group of parents.

The San Bernardino County sheriff's department says witnesses told deputies several mothers were involved in an argument and it got physical in a field near the ceremony. Several men then jumped into the fray, and the incident turned into a brawl.

A deputy later arrested two people on suspicion of being a disruptive presence at a school. Witnesses said they were the main instigators. In all, 20 adults were identified in the brawl. A school district official says there could be more arrests.

There were no reported injuries.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/06/24/national/a080722D12.DTL

County Mike
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a fun town.

MattHughesRocks
06-26-2010, 03:53 PM
That's where my sister lives :laugh:

Dethbob
06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
In all, 20 adults were identified in the brawl. A school district official says there could be more arrests.

There were no reported injuries.

They have obviously NOT been training hard enough!

flo
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Good Lord Almighty. Great role models these kids have in their parents, eh?

And what's with kindergarten "graduation"? Sheesh.

flo
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
They have obviously NOT been training hard enough!
:laugh:

Dethbob
06-26-2010, 06:16 PM
And what's with kindergarten "graduation"? Sheesh.

Reminds me of The Incredibles:

Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.
Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.
Helen: It's a ceremony!
Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but if someone is genuinely exceptional...

flo
06-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but if someone is genuinely exceptional...
DB, that is hilarious!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: True too!!

logrus
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM

Gotta give credit for that post...

+1 !!

:happydancing:

Neezar
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I love that quote from the Incredibles!

My kids graduated Pre-school and then Kindergarten....:unsure-1: I'm already sick of it.

On a side note: This thread reminded me of what happened at the water park today. I so wished I had a camera with me at the time! This little boy broke line in front of my son at the fire hose that squirted water. My son had been waiting very patiently while this other boy (been there forEVER) had been playing. My son politely tapped the boy on the shoulder and said "I was here first and I'm next." They other boy just turned around and started grabbing the fire hose away from hose-hog boy. My son grabbed his shoulder and pushed him out of line. The boy slapped my son's arm away (hard too!). My son stepped back with no change in facial expression. I thought he would walk away or come crying to me. Obviously the other boy thought that, too. But my son (looking all casual like too :unsure-1:) grabbed the kids arm, spun him around, and kicked the boy in the stomach. The boy stumbled back and my son got back in line. :huh:

Of course he got into trouble for fighting but I had no idea he was like that. :unsure-1: (Not my angel! Right?) :laugh:

Bonnie
06-27-2010, 12:53 AM

My kids graduated Pre-school and then Kindergarten....:unsure-1: I'm already sick of it.

On a side note: This thread reminded me of what happened at the water park today. I so wished I had a camera with me at the time! This little boy broke line in front of my son at the fire hose that squirted water. My son had been waiting very patiently while this other boy (been there forEVER) had been playing. My son politely tapped the boy on the shoulder and said "I was here first and I'm next." They other boy just turned around and started grabbing the fire hose away from hose-hog boy. My son grabbed his shoulder and pushed him out of line. The boy slapped my son's arm away (hard too!). My son stepped back with no change in facial expression. I thought he would walk away or come crying to me. Obviously the other boy thought that, too. But my son (looking all casual like too :unsure-1:) grabbed the kids arm, spun him around, and kicked the boy in the stomach. The boy stumbled back and my son got back in line. :huh:

Of course he got into trouble for fighting but I had no idea he was like that. :unsure-1: (Not my angel! Right?) :laugh:

Hey, he tried to tell the kid politely; I guess he realized he was gonna have to say it a different way. :wink: Admit it, you were proud of him for handling the situation (even if you couldn't tell him that). :laugh:

flo
06-27-2010, 03:42 AM
WAR SON OF NEEZAR!!!

Hey, he got hit first, the other kid deserved it!

:cool:

MattHughesRocks
06-27-2010, 04:04 AM
LOVE IT! :wub:

Silverback
06-27-2010, 05:45 AM

War Sneezer's Son

County Mike
06-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Of course he got into trouble for fighting but I had no idea he was like that.

Why did he get in trouble? He should get an award for standing up for himself. Ice cream cones on the way home from the water park!

Silverback
06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Why did he get in trouble? He should get an award for standing up for himself. Ice cream cones on the way home from the water park!

Yes CM is right, that a boy, go for ice cream and call me, I'll buy.:punch::punch::punch::Whistle:

Silverback
06-27-2010, 05:53 PM
My youngest was telling me the other day he was having a problem with one of his classmates, he told me what was going on, he told me he had tried everything to get him to stop, I told him that sometimes the only way to make it stop is to Bust him in the chop's, but make sure the teach don't see it.:punch::punch::punch::Whistle:

County Mike
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
My youngest was telling me the other day he was having a problem with one of his classmates, he told me what was going on, he told me he had tried everything to get him to stop, I told him that sometimes the only way to make it stop is to Bust him in the chop's, but make sure the teach don't see it.:punch::punch::punch::Whistle:

Haha. My mom basically told me the same thing.

Me: Mom. This kid at school is picking on me.
Mom: Pop him in the mouth.
Me: OK

2 days later.
Me: Mom. I got suspended.
Mom: Did you win?
Me: Yes.
Mom: OK

Neezar
06-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Haha. My mom basically told me the same thing.

Me: Mom. This kid at school is picking on me.
Mom: Pop him in the mouth.
Me: OK

2 days later.
Me: Mom. I got suspended.
Mom: Did you win?
Me: Yes.
Mom: OK

Well I did have a little mental struggle on whether or not to reprimand him. :unsure-1: I told him that he knew he wasn't supposed to be fighting. He kinda hung his head and started towards me and I said, "No, stay there. Keep your place in line." :ninja: Then I turned away from him and me and niece started laughing.

Vizion
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Kindergarten graduation...:unsure-1:

Do our taxes pay for things like that :scared0015:

DonnaMaria
06-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Kindergarten graduation...:unsure-1:

Do our taxes pay for things like that :scared0015:

I don't think there is usually anything to pay for.....it's just a little ceremony where the kids sing and dance and do little skits..........

In places where they have caps and gowns the parents supply them. Or the teachers buy them for the kids.................out of pocket.

On the flip side, you wouldn't believe how much flack I get for NOT having a graduation/ ceremony/ step-up program at the end of the year.:scared0015: I have had parents complain about it to my principal. I think it will be a matter of time before I am required to have one .........

Sometimes teachers do things because they are told to do it, not because they want to...........

BamaGrits84
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
1st of the fighting parents...I wasn't aware the Diaz brothers had 5 year olds. :laugh: But seriously, our world is getting more screwed up by the generation and these events are exactly why. What a bunch os idiots.

2nd on kids defending themselves, my 5 year old is huge. He wear a size 8 clothing. He's was the biggest kid in pre-school & now is the biggest kid in his group at summer day camp. We always taught our kids to defend themselves if someone was bullying them. Well a few weeks ago I get a call and his couselor says Jacob BIT someone. I was shocked because even as a toddler he never bit anyone. So I have him get on the phone and ask him why in the world he bit someone. He dead serious answer "Because you told me not to hit anyone smaller than me." I had to mute my phone for a second so he didn't hear me laughing. We had to have a talk that night about when and where you need to defend yourself and when and where you need to let an adult handle it.

Miss Foxy
06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Victorville has pretty houses however all of the LA trash migrate there shall I say G*H*E*T*T*O...

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
1st of the fighting parents...I wasn't aware the Diaz brothers had 5 year olds. :laugh: But seriously, our world is getting more screwed up by the generation and these events are exactly why. What a bunch os idiots.

2nd on kids defending themselves, my 5 year old is huge. He wear a size 8 clothing. He's was the biggest kid in pre-school & now is the biggest kid in his group at summer day camp. We always taught our kids to defend themselves if someone was bullying them. Well a few weeks ago I get a call and his couselor says Jacob BIT someone. I was shocked because even as a toddler he never bit anyone. So I have him get on the phone and ask him why in the world he bit someone. He dead serious answer "Because you told me not to hit anyone smaller than me." I had to mute my phone for a second so he didn't hear me laughing. We had to have a talk that night about when and where you need to defend yourself and when and where you need to let an adult handle it.
:happy0198: :happy0198::happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

That's hysterical!!!! :happydancing:

Miss Foxy
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Word!! I had the same problem with my daughter in her old school.. Girls picked on her and the Assistant A*s oops principal only caught the tail end when my daughter was telling them off.. Anyways those girls had a plan to jump my daughter.. 3 on 1.. I had warned the Vice Principal and he did not intervene. I told my daughter if that happens just pound on one of em.. Well lets just say her dad and I taught her boxing at age 3 so my lil tiny girl protected herself and those girls mainly the 1 she focused on had a busted face... Sorry it sounds bad, but it was either that or my daughter on the floor being attacked like an animal!! :punch:

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Word!! I had the same problem with my daughter in her old school.. Girls picked on her and the Assistant A*s oops principal only caught the tail end when my daughter was telling them off.. Anyways those girls had a plan to jump my daughter.. 3 on 1.. I had warned the Vice Principal and he did not intervene. I told my daughter if that happens just pound on one of em.. Well lets just say her dad and I taught her boxing at age 3 so my lil tiny girl protected herself and those girls mainly the 1 she focused on had a busted face... Sorry it sounds bad, but it was either that or my daughter on the floor being attacked like an animal!! :punch:
Good for you & good for your daughter!

BamaGrits84
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM

that doesn't sound bad! kids need to stand up for themselves to bullies! i've told my kids i won't put up with them being a bully but if they get in trouble for defending themselves i'll stand up for them to a teacher, principal, or anyone's parent. i actaully think me kids are looking forward to the day when i get to stand up to someone's parent. :wink:

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 09:00 PM
that doesn't sound bad! kids need to stand up for themselves to bullies! i've told my kids i won't put up with them being a bully but if they get in trouble for defending themselves i'll stand up for them to a teacher, principal, or anyone's parent. i actaully think me kids are looking forward to the day when i get to stand up to someone's parent. :wink:
Hahaha, can you get your kids to video tape that day so we can all watch, too??? :happydancing:

Vizion
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't think there is usually anything to pay for.....it's just a little ceremony where the kids sing and dance and do little skits..........

In places where they have caps and gowns the parents supply them. Or the teachers buy them for the kids.................out of pocket.

On the flip side, you wouldn't believe how much flack I get for NOT having a graduation/ ceremony/ step-up program at the end of the year.:scared0015: I have had parents complain about it to my principal. I think it will be a matter of time before I am required to have one .........

Sometimes teachers do things because they are told to do it, not because they want to...........Why would parents want to waste their time doing something like this?? It's kindergarten, and a kids job is to be a student. There is really nothing to celebrate about it at that age. Now, 12 years later is another story, but I think that we want to build up our kids "achievements" way too much with stuff like this.

Miss Foxy
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Why would parents want to waste their time doing something like this?? It's kindergarten, and a kids job is to be a student. There is really nothing to celebrate about it at that age. Now, 12 years later is another story, but I think that we want to build up our kids "achievements" way too much with stuff like this.

Why wouldnt we? They are 5 yr olds positive reinforcement and rewards go a long way!!

Vizion
06-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Why wouldnt we? They are 5 yr olds positive reinforcement and rewards go a long way!!
Teach a child that duty does not always come with reward is far more reinforcing in the long term.

flo
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM

Sometimes teachers do things because they are told to do it, not because they want to...........

I'm glad you brought that up, DonnaMaria, I don't think the teachers are responsible and I'm sorry you have to take flak from some parents over this. I blame our culture not the teachers; like "no winning and losing", which is just as ridiculous as "graduation" from kindergarten, IMO.

Vizion
06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm glad you brought that up, DonnaMaria, I don't think the teachers are responsible and I'm sorry you have to take flak from some parents over this. I blame our culture not the teachers; like "no winning and losing", which is just as ridiculous as "graduation" from kindergarten, IMO.I heard a teacher once shout to a kid who was exclaiming "I won! I won!" (about a race he had just won), she corrected him with "Don't say "I won", say "I had fun!"

What a p***** thing to teach a kid. There is nothing wrong with winning or losing and having the fortitude to admit it.

DonnaMaria
06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
I heard a teacher once shout to a kid who was exclaiming "I won! I won!" (about a race he had just won), she corrected him with "Don't say "I won", say "I had fun!"

What a p***** thing to teach a kid. There is nothing wrong with winning or losing and having the fortitude to admit it.

Well, Flo is right. It's very much a cultural thing. Parents are unwilling to have their children disappointed and upset. I have gotten in trouble for only having one prize for each game at holiday parties. Now I am required to do games where everyone wins all the time. ............

Neezar
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, Flo is right. It's very much a cultural thing. Parents are unwilling to have their children disappointed and upset. I have gotten in trouble for only having one prize for each game at holiday parties. Now I am required to do games where everyone wins all the time. ............

Not this parent.

I bought the board game 'Sorry'. The first time we played my kids cried the first time they got sent home and quit the second, crying even harder. After a few times of this they cried but kept playing. My mom and sister think I am just terrible for not letting them win. Sorry (no pun intended, lol) but life won't let you win either. When they are hurt or need mothering then I am right there loving every minute of it. But I feel I am doing them a disservice if I don't teach them how to take disappointments in life and get BACK UP and MOVE ON!

We now sometimes play a full game of 'Sorry' with no crying but determination to get that pawn back on the board!

County Mike
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
When they are hurt or need mothering then I am right there loving every minute of it.

Gosh. You just sound mean. :tongue0011:

TexasRN
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I think too many kids starting with my generation were taught that when life is hard, you should quit. If you aren't winning, then it's someone's fault for not letting you win. We need that drive, that competitive spirit to make this country great again instead of raising yet another generation of dead-beat zombie children who live off their parents forever because life is just not fair. If you lose at something, try harder next time or find something else that you are good at and excel at that. I hate this touchy feely crap that makes our kids weaker.

~Amy

County Mike
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Exactly. Suck it up and get the job done. No prizes for the losers. Yes, we keep score and somebody will lose.

Years ago my nephews played T-Ball. They didn't have 3 outs. Each kid got a chance to bat once per inning. They didn't keep score.

At that age (5 or 6 maybe) I can understand each kid getting one at bat per inning. However, they should still keep track of runs and declare one team a winner. Instill that pride and goal-oriented effort early.

You can bet your butt that Hailey will be taught to try hard and she'll know that winning is better than losing and it's worth working hard for.

TexasRN
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Exactly. Suck it up and get the job done. No prizes for the losers. Yes, we keep score and somebody will lose.

Years ago my nephews played T-Ball. They didn't have 3 outs. Each kid got a chance to bat once per inning. They didn't keep score.

At that age (5 or 6 maybe) I can understand each kid getting one at bat per inning. However, they should still keep track of runs and declare one team a winner. Instill that pride and goal-oriented effort early.

You can bet your butt that Hailey will be taught to try hard and she'll know that winning is better than losing and it's worth working hard for.

That's one reason my kids to TKD. They spar and either win or lose. They either earn their belt or they don't. Their dojang does not hand out belts just for showing up and paying money.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Teach a child that duty does not always come with reward is far more reinforcing in the long term.

Thats your opinion and good thing my kids have a MOM and a DAD already. I choose not to JUDGE other peoples parenting..My house does not run on milk and honey.. Often times I am very hard on my children, however I do show them love, and support, and understanding to not make them cold and callous...:rolleyes:

BamaGrits84
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM

OK that drives me crazy! My son played soccer at the Y this year - he's 5. No score was kept. Well I kept score but the Y didn't. I mean what does that teach the kids? If you work hard it's for nothing? If you don't try hard you're equal to the kids that did? I can't stand it! None of the mini soccer leagues keep score. It's stupid! We have a generation of pansies being rasied now and my kids are gonna end up kicking some pansy butt because no way I'm i'm teaching my kids fairness is more important that hard work! The government forces enough of that on us! My word tell your kid to suck it up and get over it. No sucessful person has ever gotten there because someone cared so much about their feelings they gave them something they didn't earn or derserve. Shesh! :frantics:

BamaGrits84
06-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Ok I agree with this but I spoil my kids. I don't think their is anything wrong with rewarding kids but I don't think it's something that should not be done every time they do something "good". My kids know I do things for them because I enjoy doing for them, not because they always deserve it or have earned it. Maybe that's the exact wrong way to be - I don't know. But I don't think rewarding or not reward your child will make or break them as a functioning member of society nor do I think it indicates to them if you love them or not. Dr. James Dodson once said we ruin our kids when we make them think they are the center of the family because they grow up into the real world where no one cares about what they want really. So i frequently tell my kids they haven't earned it but i'm doing it because i love them. and they know if i don't do something it's not because i don't love them - it's because i think our money could be better spent or it's simply not something they need (like toys that make too much noise or have way too many pieces :wink:). Bottom line we all parent differently. Yes there are bad parents out there but rewarding a kid or not rewarding is not usually a way to determine they type of parent someone is.

DonnaMaria
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Not this parent.

I bought the board game 'Sorry'. The first time we played my kids cried the first time they got sent home and quit the second, crying even harder. After a few times of this they cried but kept playing. My mom and sister think I am just terrible for not letting them win. Sorry (no pun intended, lol) but life won't let you win either. When they are hurt or need mothering then I am right there loving every minute of it. But I feel I am doing them a disservice if I don't teach them how to take disappointments in life and get BACK UP and MOVE ON!

We now sometimes play a full game of 'Sorry' with no crying but determination to get that pawn back on the board!

I should have said "Some parents." Not all. I'm guilty of making a generalization there! :ashamed:Sorry about that.

Unfortunately the loudest parents tend to get their way......hence the reason why I have to have a million prizes on party days..........:blink:

But it sounds to me like everyone here is striking the right balance of compassion tempered with reality. That's life..........

flo
07-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I heard a teacher once shout to a kid who was exclaiming "I won! I won!" (about a race he had just won), she corrected him with "Don't say "I won", say "I had fun!"

Oh, that's pathetic. How do they expect these children to cope in the real world of competition and just plain everyday life? I wonder how they explain away the Olympic Gold medals?

Parents are unwilling to have their children disappointed and upset. I have gotten in trouble for only having one prize for each game at holiday parties. Now I am required to do games where everyone wins all the time. ............

That is truly sad - we have to have politically correct games now. I feel for you, DonnaMaria, and I would guess it does no good to protest. It just makes me glad I grew up in an era where people making school policy acknowledged the fact that there were winners and losers. We got wacked on the knuckles by Sister Mary Discipline if we acted up. We were taught to respect our elders. Oh, we also played the apparently-extremely-dangerous kickball.

Rant over. :happydancing:

flo
07-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Er, sorry to go off-topic but...

how did the singing performance go, DonnaMaria?

Neezar
07-01-2010, 03:53 AM
I should have said "Some parents." Not all. I'm guilty of making a generalization there! :ashamed:Sorry about that.

Unfortunately the loudest parents tend to get their way......hence the reason why I have to have a million prizes on party days..........:blink:

But it sounds to me like everyone here is striking the right balance of compassion tempered with reality. That's life..........

No need for apology. I was pretty sure that you knew I wouldn't be that way. :laugh:

DonnaMaria
07-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Er, sorry to go off-topic but...

how did the singing performance go, DonnaMaria?

It went really well Flo! Thank you for asking! I will post pics as soon as I can but the video won't be available for another few weeks. It was professionally taped so no one else was allowed to video tape anything. :rolleyes: Sheesh! And the CD cost me 40 bucks! I hope it's worth it! :laugh: Luckily I didn't mess up the night that the video was made! :)

And I had a few preschool students and their parents come and attend the show! That really made me feel good!:ashamed:

DonnaMaria
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
No need for apology. I was pretty sure that you knew I wouldn't be that way. :laugh:

I did know.......but I shouldn't have made that sweeping generalization anyway. :ashamed: I'm glad that you understood that I wasn't talking about you or anyone else on here.

Truly, the parents that I am speaking of are few and far between..........but boy can they cause a ruckus! :blink: