PDA

View Full Version : Batista signs with Strikeforce

J.B.
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/21/dave-batista-wwe-mma-strikeforce-mixed-martial-arts/

Should be interesting, providing injuries and drug tests don't get in the way.

Chris F
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/21/dave-batista-wwe-mma-strikeforce-mixed-martial-arts/

I think ithis is still a rumor as of yet. Dave has actually said he wants to focus on acting and modeling right now. It owuld be interesting however he hold sevral black belts most in Filippio martial arts. AS for injuries they will hinder him. As for drugs that comment is laughable because since they got sued WWE has very strict drug testing now and wiht Linda MaC running for Senate they have been even more picky. My guess is the reason he started getting injured was because he came off his enhacing materials :)

J.B.
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I think ithis is still a rumor as of yet. Dave has actually said he wants to focus on acting and modeling right now. It owuld be interesting however he hold sevral black belts most in Filippio martial arts. AS for injuries they will hinder him. As for drugs that comment is laughable because since they got sued WWE has very strict drug testing now and wiht Linda MaC running for Senate they have been even more picky. My guess is the reason he started getting injured was because he came off his enhacing materials :)

Well that comes straight from his mouth, so if it's a rumor, he started it. He seemed pretty confident when he said he already knows who he is fighting.

I am aware of the WWE's "wellness" policy, but it's well known that Batista is/was a heavy steroid user, and I'm not convinced that the WWE has totally cleaned up the act. It's also funny you mention him being a black belt in Filipino martial arts, because there was a small group of Manny Pacquiao detractors who were linking Pacquiao to Batista in recent years and using that as a springboard to say suggest Manny is also using steroids.

Jeff Crow
06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I read somewhere that he lost a good amount of weight since leaving the WWE. I don't know if there is any truth to. I haven't seen any recent pics of him.

J.B.
06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I read somewhere that he lost a good amount of weight since leaving the WWE. I don't know if there is any truth to. I haven't seen any recent pics of him.

He looks smaller in the video

Jeff Crow
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
He looks smaller in the video

I'll have to check it out when I get home. They have the site blocked here at work:angry:

J.B.
06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
UPDATE - http://mmajunkie.com/news/19630/spokesperson-no-strikeforce-for-wwes-batista-right-now.mma

Okay, well Strikeforce has come out now saying that he has not signed with them and that "no such deal is imminent", so I guess I jumped the gun along with everybody else.

Kinda hard not to though considering it came right from Batista's mouth on camera that he already knows who he is fighting.

We can change the title or delete this thread :laugh:

County Mike
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope he does fight. When I "wrestle" with my friend's son, he's always Jeff Hardy and I'm always Batista. Apparently, I'm not allowed to be myself and I had to pick a WWE Superstar to be. I usually get knocked out with a chair or "twist o' fate" before I get a chance to unleash my "Batista Bomb".

Blade
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
My guess is the reason he started getting injured was because he came off his enhacing materials :)

I would think his injuries occurred because he was on the juice, not off it.

Jeff Crow
06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

That's what I would think. Back in the day when the WWE didn't really test I noticed a lot of the guys that looked like they were juicing started getting injured more. Most of them started tearing muscles and tendons.

logrus
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I read a week ago where he said he was most likely not going to fight and that he was just at the Strikeforce event cause he was a fan of MMA, and that he was just too old to start a career in MMA. The guy is already 42 years old.

Also said he left the WWE cause he hated where it was headed.

Chris F
06-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Well that comes straight from his mouth, so if it's a rumor, he started it. He seemed pretty confident when he said he already knows who he is fighting.

I am aware of the WWE's "wellness" policy, but it's well known that Batista is/was a heavy steroid user, and I'm not convinced that the WWE has totally cleaned up the act. It's also funny you mention him being a black belt in Filipino martial arts, because there was a small group of Manny Pacquiao detractors who were linking Pacquiao to Batista in recent years and using that as a springboard to say suggest Manny is also using steroids.

Dave was in Pacs corner his last fight. They are close friends so you never know. AS for coming form him, he is no doubt hyping things like all wrestlers like to do. I seriously doubt he will do MMA he does not have the core tools to suceed. As for their wellness policy it is tougher then baseball but that is not saying much :)

Chris F
06-22-2010, 07:19 PM

He has only been gone a couple of weeks. A good example however and this supports JB's theory is that when Kurt Angle left WWE he got real small. Just look at him now in TNA vs his WWE days. So Dave could very well have the same thing happen but Dave was a bodybuilder before wrestling Kurt was not and so I doubt Daves training has changed like Kurt would have

Chris F
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
I hope he does fight. When I "wrestle" with my friend's son, he's always Jeff Hardy and I'm always Batista. Apparently, I'm not allowed to be myself and I had to pick a WWE Superstar to be. I usually get knocked out with a chair or "twist o' fate" before I get a chance to unleash my "Batista Bomb".

:laugh:

Chris F
06-22-2010, 07:22 PM

YOu'd be right but they often do not notice the inuries till they are off or cycling through them.

Chris F
06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I read a week ago where he said he was most likely not going to fight and that he was just at the Strikeforce event cause he was a fan of MMA, and that he was just too old to start a career in MMA. The guy is already 42 years old.

Also said he left the WWE cause he hated where it was headed.

Yeah that is what I read as well. Dave is my daughters favorite wrestler and I was checking ot see if he was coming back at all and this was on his site. Dave was not a big fan of WWE's PG product. He likes the envelope being pushed. He might end up in TNA because they are doing just that because they are on spike and not USA

J.B.
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Dave was in Pacs corner his last fight. They are close friends so you never know. AS for coming form him, he is no doubt hyping things like all wrestlers like to do. I seriously doubt he will do MMA he does not have the core tools to suceed. As for their wellness policy it is tougher then baseball but that is not saying much :)

I wouldn't say it's any tougher than the MLB. In fact, I would say the opposite.

If a wrestler in the WWE gets caught using steroids once, they are suspended for 30 days, if an MLB player gets caught using steroids once they are suspended for 50 games. Get caught twice, and the penalty doubles for both. However, on the third strike, you literally are OUT when it comes to baseball, because a third offense warrants a lifetime ban. In the WWE, you are only gone for one year on your third strike.

Don't get me wrong, I think the WWE has stepped it up from what it was in the 80's and 90's, like everybody has, but I still think the industry on the whole has some major issues that go unchecked.

As for Batista fighting in MMA, I have no idea what he will do, and yeah he may like to hype things but it's pretty obvious that some interest must exist. I've read on numerous forums and sites that he has been talking about it for quite some time. He may realize it's a little late to try jumping into the mix for a guy like him, but I think if the right opportunity presented itself he would likely give it a shot.

Chris F
06-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't say it's any tougher than the MLB. In fact, I would say the opposite.

If a wrestler in the WWE gets caught using steroids once, they are suspended for 30 days, if an MLB player gets caught using steroids once they are suspended for 50 games. Get caught twice, and the penalty doubles for both. However, on the third strike, you literally are OUT when it comes to baseball, because a third offense warrants a lifetime ban. In the WWE, you are only gone for one year on your third strike.

Don't get me wrong, I think the WWE has stepped it up from what it was in the 80's and 90's, like everybody has, but I still think the industry on the whole has some major issues that go unchecked.

As for Batista fighting in MMA, I have no idea what he will do, and yeah he may like to hype things but it's pretty obvious that some interest must exist. I've read on numerous forums and sites that he has been talking about it for quite some time. He may realize it's a little late to try jumping into the mix for a guy like him, but I think if the right opportunity presented itself he would likely give it a shot.

YOu only know the public side of the policy believe me there is more to it.

TMZ even today is still running this story. They interviwed Booker T who got into a fight with Dave and he said Dave would not last. So it is funny to see this sotry still perpetuating

Jeff Crow
06-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I finally just watched the interview on TMZ. He looked like he may have been a bit under the influence of something.:laugh: I'm sure he has some interest in fighting but I think he may have just been messing with the guy interviewing him. That and hyping something up a little like ya'll mentioned.

Tyburn
06-22-2010, 10:38 PM

He appeared right when I stopped watching Professional Wrestling. So I dont know a whole lot about him....there was an influx to the organisation just around the time I was writing my dissertation...he was the last. :laugh:

J.B.
06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
YOu only know the public side of the policy believe me there is more to it.

TMZ even today is still running this story. They interviwed Booker T who got into a fight with Dave and he said Dave would not last. So it is funny to see this sotry still perpetuating

You are right, I have only read the same information that is made available to the public.

Still, if there is some other stricter element that exists I find it hard to believe that they would keep that private. You said it yourself that Linda Mac is running for office, and I've seen news clippings that suggest she could get some backlash about the WWE, so why hide parts of a policy intended to sway public perception in a positive manner? That just doesn't make any sense at all. I would almost be more inclined to believe that Vince McMahon lured Kurt Warner out of retirement to come lead the resurrection of the XFL. :laugh:

However, with all due respect, if you know something about it that I, or the general public, do not, then obviously myself (and the rest of the general public) cannot make a full and thorough decision because all the "facts" would not have been presented. Regardless, based on what is presented publicly by both organizations, I believe that the current standards in Baseball are stricter and carry a much heavier negative reflection than in the WWE.

Would you mind sharing exactly what it is that the public is not being told? :huh:

J.B.
06-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Speaking of Linda Mac, I navigated away from the forum to Yahoo right after my last post, and she made the top headlines this afternoon because her and Vince are being sued by Owen Hart's wife for using his likeness.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wrestling_death_lawsuit

Chris F
06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Speaking of Linda Mac, I navigated away from the forum to Yahoo right after my last post, and she made the top headlines this afternoon because her and Vince are being sued by Owen Hart's wife for using his likeness.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wrestling_death_lawsuit

Yeah and Bret just quit being the GM after that lawsuit was filed. Same say it is a stunt but they have used his likeness alot latley especially wiht the relase of the Hart DVD.

As fo rthe hwole story on the policy I think oyu are irght the consequeces are gretaer as far as reflection for MLB but not as it pertains to talents paycheck. This is a big reason why Jeff Hardy and RVD anre not in the WWE now.

J.B.
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Scott Coker of Strikeforce was on Beatdown today and he said that they HAVE been talking to Batista and that they are trying to work out a deal but nothing is set for now.

Chris F
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Scott Coker of Strikeforce was on Beatdown today and he said that they HAVE been talking to Batista and that they are trying to work out a deal but nothing is set for now.

they must be desperate. My buddies in th eindustry have said Dave feels he is to old for MMA and want to focus on Acting for now. But would take a one fight deal in a spotlight sorta match. Maybe him vs Walker or Lashley

County Mike
07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Batista Bomb!

Chris F
07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Batista Bomb!

I seen Dan Severen do a power bomb in an early King of the cage/ring (?) show back in the early 90's it was funny. Of course back then there were no weight classes and the guy he did it to was a welterweight at best.

Shoots like a girl
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Batista huh? Why not? Hes hot!:ashamed:

VCURamFan
07-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Scott Coker trying to defend negotiations with Batista:

"They have the desire to fight in MMA and we’re trying to put together a deal that makes sense. Is [Batista] signed right now? No. But is he somebody we’d like to see in the cage in the future fighting for Strikeforce? It’s a possibility. Just like we did with Herschel (Walker), we’d have to put him into a gym. It doesn’t matter what gym, as long as it’s a reputable mixed martial arts academy. He has to go in there and train because if he didn’t, we’d probably have a short relationship. [Batista vs. Bobby Lashley] would just be a fun fight to watch. We’re not the guys that are putting all the circus fights on but in all fairness, look at Brock Lesnar. He made the crossover. Why not Batista? . . . I think Kimbo’s had his run, so to speak. He’s kind of had his time in the MMA business whereas Batista hasn’t and Herschel hasn’t. We already know how Kimbo will do, so, to me, there’s a little curiosity factor (with Batista).”

Oliver Saenz of Fighters.com shooting him down - http://www.fighters.com/07/06/pros-and-cons-batista-to-strikeforce

When I think of the current rumors concerning former World Wrestling Entertainment performer Dave Batista (known in the WWE as simply Batista) breaking into the world of Mixed Martial Arts via the Strikeforce promotion, the phrase “whatever it takes to succeed” comes to mind. Let’s not mince words here: Batista fighting in Strikeforce would be a “freak show” in every sense of the word, no matter who his opponent would be. The silver lining in this is the simple fact that a good “freak show fight” manages to overcome the stigma and stereotypes surrounding it. Promoters may draw the ire of the MMA (http://www.fighters.com/07/) faithful, but the boost in ratings and viewership from the relative newcomers tuning in just to see their favorite performer in a new setting ends up being worth the scorn. So what does Dave Bautista bring to Strikeforce? To put it simply: lots of name value and very little skill.

Now, let’s clear the air right off the bat: I’m not saying that because he’s a former professional wrestler. For the longest time I considered myself a hardcore wrestling fan, so I have a huge amount of respect for the physical trauma pro wrestlers put themselves through on a daily basis. And if you look a little further back than current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/brock-lesnar), there’s actually a long history of pro wrestlers turning to MMA and even MMA stars turning to pro wrestling. No less than Josh Barnett (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/josh-barnett), Ken Shamrock (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/ken-shamrock), Don Frye (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/don-frye), and a host of others have all dabbled in the world of pro wrestling.

There are several non-wrestling reasons why Batista just won’t cut it in the sport’s second-best promotion. One of Batista’s main stumbling blocks will be his age. Even though Batista has the look of a 30-something, the man is actually 41 years old. It’s become a bit of an urban legend amongst MMA fans and journalists that 40 is the cut-off date for professional Mixed Martial Artists. Once an MMA star reaches forty, it’s practically assumed that his attributes will begin to fail and that he’s only a few years from retirement. Batista would enter the sport at an age where most are leaving it, and unless your name is Randy Couture (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/randy-couture), few pro MMA athletes have proven that they can still hang past that dreaded fortieth birthday.

But the biggest reason Batista would fail in Strikeforce is the simple fact that he has no prior combat experience outside of the WWE. As many have stated in the past, Brock Lesnar was a highly successful amateur wrestler before he went into the WWE. Even fellow pro wrestling cast-off Bobby Lashley (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/bobby-lashley) was a decorated “real” wrestler before he turned to pro wrestling. Batista’s credentials are non-existent; he would have to learn MMA from the ground up with no prior experience in any sort of real-life combat sport whatsoever.

With all that said, the following statement may shock my readers: I think Strikeforce should sign Batista. They’ll get eaten alive by the press and MMA faithful, but I can see legions of pro wrestling fans turning on their televisions in droves and setting the channel to Showtime or CBS to get a glimpse of a former world champion competing in MMA. Batista may never be successful in Strikeforce, but he’s good for one big ratings boost before someone utterly destroys him. A fight with Lashley has dollar signs written all over it. Batista’s stint in Strikeforce would probably only last for that one fight, but it would be a guilty pleasure that I think many fans (both of MMA and of pro wrestling) would not be able to pass up.

Chris F
07-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Scott Coker trying to defend negotiations with Batista:

Oliver Saenz of Fighters.com shooting him down - http://www.fighters.com/07/06/pros-and-cons-batista-to-strikeforce

Not true Dave has black belts in several combat arts so not from the ground up. Granted a person like LAshley would easily take him down if he does not learn wreslting from a good gym. I think Dave could make the crossover but not good enough to be in the lime light or beat Bobby or Brock. Plus as was mentioned he has a lot of miles on his body. Bobby and Brock quit early on and thus did not have near as many bumps on their bodies.

billwilliams70
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Speaking of Lashley, what's he up to lateley?

Later.