PDA

View Full Version : Screen shot of EA's MMA video game

VCURamFan
06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Is it just me, or does this look like clay-mation? :blink:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/125644/ea-sports-mma-20100614022316259.jpg

J.B.
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it looks good, and I expect EA to blow Yukes/THQ out of the water in terms of gameplay.

Speaking of which, the sales of the new UFC game are way down, and THQ reportedly took a big hit on their stocks.

VCURamFan
06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I think it looks good, and I expect EA to blow Yukes/THQ out of the water in terms of gameplay.

Speaking of which, the sales of the new UFC game are way down, and THQ reportedly took a big hit on their stocks.
Yeah, as I look at it again, it's not as bad as I thought. I think Fedor's gloves struck me as a bit cartoonish at first (no idea why) & that colored my perception a bit.

I'd love for EA to blow THQ outta the water, then take over THQ's contract w/ the UFC.

J.B.
06-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, as I look at it again, it's not as bad as I thought. I think Fedor's gloves struck me as a bit cartoonish at first (no idea why) & that colored my perception a bit.

I'd love for EA to blow THQ outta the water, then take over THQ's contract w/ the UFC.

I hear ya, it would be great to have the UFC roster on an EA game, but this could be good for strikeforce too.

I also hear that you will be able to fight in many different arenas including rings, cages, and open areas, as well as being able to use Vale Tudo rules.

VCURamFan
06-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I hear ya, it would be great to have the UFC roster on an EA game, but this could be good for strikeforce too.

I also hear that you will be able to fight in many different arenas including rings, cages, and open areas, as well as being able to use Vale Tudo rules.
Man, that'd be pretty tight.

logrus
06-16-2010, 10:14 PM

EA is going all out for this MMA game, You will be able to upload footage of you trash talking to hype your fight, fights between players will actually be broadcast live for those selected at Random to do battle.

http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705561/E3-2010-EA-Sports-MMA-Trailer.html

Actual real commentating as well lol, Nice

jason2130
06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
EA is going all out for this MMA game, You will be able to upload footage of you trash talking to hype your fight, fights between players will actually be broadcast live for those selected at Random to do battle.

http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705561/E3-2010-EA-Sports-MMA-Trailer.html

Actual real commentating as well lol, Nice

was watching EA talk about it yesterday, they are gonna start having premium online options for all there games for a monthly fee, didnt say much about what the fees would be but they already plan multiple packages (example there shooter games are in one package, football is seperate, mma is different, or a bundle kit where you get it all)

the premium MMA sounded great in theory, their main points being tournaments where players are selected at random and matched based on performance to compete for prizes, the part i cant quite figure out is that they plan to have real commentators and expect to have tons of players tuneing in to watch it the mock-PPV type event, i just dont see that turning out like they are saying it will

J.B.
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
was watching EA talk about it yesterday, they are gonna start having premium online options for all there games for a monthly fee, didnt say much about what the fees would be but they already plan multiple packages (example there shooter games are in one package, football is seperate, mma is different, or a bundle kit where you get it all)

the premium MMA sounded great in theory, their main points being tournaments where players are selected at random and matched based on performance to compete for prizes, the part i cant quite figure out is that they plan to have real commentators and expect to have tons of players tuneing in to watch it the mock-PPV type event, i just dont see that turning out like they are saying it will

If they go to a MONTHLY fee, gamers are going to revolt.

All of the new EA games are already starting to charge for online access. If you buy a game brand new, they will give you a code to redeem it for free, but if you rent the game or buy it used, you have to pay to access the online features. Okay, I understand the logic behind that, even if I think it's lame, but how are they gonna justify a monthly access fee?

Premium content is already getting way out of hand. Between Madden 10 and Fight Night Round 4 alone I have spent a BUNCH of money on crap like extra fighters, extra game-modes, power-ups, etc... Heck, they soak you like 2 or 3 bucks for a feature that will let you keep a player from retiring during your Dynasty mode on Madden, but when you bring the guy back, his stats drop and the price tag for his salary goes up! I understand keeping it real, but that's friggin ridiculous.

logrus
06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
If they go to a MONTHLY fee, gamers are going to revolt.

All of the new EA games are already starting to charge for online access. If you buy a game brand new, they will give you a code to redeem it for free, but if you rent the game or buy it used, you have to pay to access the online features. Okay, I understand the logic behind that, even if I think it's lame, but how are they gonna justify a monthly access fee?

Premium content is already getting way out of hand. Between Madden 10 and Fight Night Round 4 alone I have spent a BUNCH of money on crap like extra fighters, extra game-modes, power-ups, etc... Heck, they soak you like 2 or 3 bucks for a feature that will let you keep a player from retiring during your Dynasty mode on Madden, but when you bring the guy back, his stats drop and the price tag for his salary goes up! I understand keeping it real, but that's friggin ridiculous.

I can see why they are spear heading resale on games because it is a lot of loss revenue that could be going back into the company to continue to improve on games. Free content, free exclusive items. Its a great idea. The only thing that seems odd is giving free in game codes for an item to a company which bases 3/4 of its revenue off of resales.

I never played Madden or Fight Night JB. I didnt know they were charging for the things you talked about, seems kinda stupid and its taking a part of the game away from its player base.

I don't think the players will turn out if you have to pay for the service for "live broadcast". I could see it being popular if it was a gold membership for 360 or part of the new premium service for Ps3. I cant see fans jumping on paying for something that they have less then a 1% chance of being involved in..

J.B.
06-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I can see why they are spear heading resale on games because it is a lot of loss revenue that could be going back into the company to continue to improve on games. Free content, free exclusive items. Its a great idea. The only thing that seems odd is giving free in game codes for an item to a company which bases 3/4 of its revenue off of resales.

I never played Madden or Fight Night JB. I didnt know they were charging for the things you talked about, seems kinda stupid and its taking a part of the game away from its player base.

I don't think the players will turn out if you have to pay for the service for "live broadcast". I could see it being popular if it was a gold membership for 360 or part of the new premium service for Ps3. I cant see fans jumping on paying for something that they have less then a 1% chance of being involved in..

Exactly, the resale market is the biggest part of the video game industry.

I can understand why they want to make some extra money by offering the silly extra downloads like I was talking about, or even asking for a small fee from the people who bought the game used to help maintain the servers for online gaming. However, before they make that end-user pay for the Online features, they should get to try it out first, even if it's only for a day. They could just link it to the Xbox or PS3 gamertag in that respect. The reason I say this is, look at the new UFC game. That game completely sucks online according to 90% of the people who own it, yet they are charging the resale customers to use it.

If they are seriously planning a monthly fee, there better be some BAD ASS stuff going on, or nobody is gonna buy it. These aren't World of Warcraft nerds we are talking about here. :laugh:

logrus
06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Exactly, the resale market is the biggest part of the video game industry.

I can understand why they want to make some extra money by offering the silly extra downloads like I was talking about, or even asking for a small fee from the people who bought the game used to help maintain the servers for online gaming. However, before they make that end-user pay for the Online features, they should get to try it out first, even if it's only for a day. They could just link it to the Xbox or PS3 gamertag in that respect. The reason I say this is, look at the new UFC game. That game completely sucks online according to 90% of the people who own it, yet they are charging the resale customers to use it.

If they are seriously planning a monthly fee, there better be some BAD ASS stuff going on, or nobody is gonna buy it. These aren't World of Warcraft nerds we are talking about here. :laugh:

I never understood the resale of games from places like Gamestop and such. Its usually less the 5$ save which really isn't that huge. I guess if you buy enough games constantly then it might just be worth it,

I really think what changed my attitude towards game resales was actually taking part in the dev of an Indie game, To actually see what goes into the game I just cant bring myself to buying used.

So far I haven't felt cheated in any game I purchased, corse I am pretty strict on what I actually do buy. Also It would seem to me at least that in the next yr or 2 we will turn the gaming community into a MP based where we will probably see less and less in terms of compelling SP.

I couldn't believe how many people were crying about RDR's MP which is odd cause Rockstar is terrible at MP, yet so may were talking bout being ripped off based on the poor MP.

An stop picking on my 80 Tauren Druid and Hume Rogue JB..

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Brand

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Silentlyte

jason2130
06-17-2010, 12:51 AM
my guess is more games are gonna start goin the route on DDO (dungeons and dragons online) with online content, you can buy add on content for a 1 time purchase and own it forever, or pay $14.95 a month and get access to all content +gold member benifits

so with a game like MMA, and im just useing examples based on DDO type pricing
.99 per extra ring unlocked forever (until they get bored making new rings)
2.99 roster upgrades unlocked forever (eventually youll need 3 to 4 roster upgrades)
2.99 per special fighter unlocked forever (prolly 10+ fighters from other organizations, or legends)

or

9.99 a month and you get access to all the above
+ a webpages with your stats
+ special events
+ some sort of training boost for your fighter

but if you ever quit paying the fee you have nothing of the extra content

listening to the EA guy talk about the shooter package they seem to be leaning kinda the way of DDO, which lord of the rings online is copying DDO this year exactly (free to play-but pay for anything past a certain point) and i think EA is part of that game as well

J.B.
06-17-2010, 01:16 AM
I never understood the resale of games from places like Gamestop and such. Its usually less the 5$ save which really isn't that huge. I guess if you buy enough games constantly then it might just be worth it,

I really think what changed my attitude towards game resales was actually taking part in the dev of an Indie game, To actually see what goes into the game I just cant bring myself to buying used.

So far I haven't felt cheated in any game I purchased, corse I am pretty strict on what I actually do buy. Also It would seem to me at least that in the next yr or 2 we will turn the gaming community into a MP based where we will probably see less and less in terms of compelling SP.

I couldn't believe how many people were crying about RDR's MP which is odd cause Rockstar is terrible at MP, yet so may were talking bout being ripped off based on the poor MP.

An stop picking on my 80 Tauren Druid and Hume Rogue JB..

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Brand

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Silentlyte

Gamestop marks up a lot of the newer released pre-owned games like 100%, but when a game is like 6 months or a year old you definitely save money on it. I am all for the resale of games, music, and movies. For games in particular, there are a lot of games that I wouldn't mind owning but I don't feel they are worth buying when they are full price. I get sick of games or beat them too quick to justify spending that much cash on brand new games. I am constantly trading games in for different ones and even the games with high replay value seem to lose their edge within a few months.

NES is still the best. Those were the days, when multiplayer meant you actually had another human being sitting in the room with you while playing the game.

logrus
06-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Gamestop marks up a lot of the newer released pre-owned games like 100%, but when a game is like 6 months or a year old you definitely save money on it. I am all for the resale of games, music, and movies. For games in particular, there are a lot of games that I wouldn't mind owning but I don't feel they are worth buying when they are full price. I get sick of games or beat them too quick to justify spending that much cash on brand new games. I am constantly trading games in for different ones and even the games with high replay value seem to lose their edge within a few months.

NES is still the best. Those were the days, when multiplayer meant you actually had another human being sitting in the room with you while playing the game.

I am not sure bout that one. I bought Assassins Creed 2 for 24$ on Amazon. IF you look at what it cost on Gamestop its 23$ used. Same game new from there is 40$. 21$+3 shipping on Ebay.

I havent sold any games in a long while, there always seems to be some form of DLC that gets my interest, probably another thing to keep game resales down as well.

logrus
06-17-2010, 03:03 AM
my guess is more games are gonna start goin the route on DDO (dungeons and dragons online) with online content, you can buy add on content for a 1 time purchase and own it forever, or pay $14.95 a month and get access to all content +gold member benifits

so with a game like MMA, and im just useing examples based on DDO type pricing
.99 per extra ring unlocked forever (until they get bored making new rings)
2.99 roster upgrades unlocked forever (eventually youll need 3 to 4 roster upgrades)
2.99 per special fighter unlocked forever (prolly 10+ fighters from other organizations, or legends)

or

9.99 a month and you get access to all the above
+ a webpages with your stats
+ special events
+ some sort of training boost for your fighter

but if you ever quit paying the fee you have nothing of the extra content

listening to the EA guy talk about the shooter package they seem to be leaning kinda the way of DDO, which lord of the rings online is copying DDO this year exactly (free to play-but pay for anything past a certain point) and i think EA is part of that game as well

Oddly thats what saved the game, subscription wise it was really tanking bad. In a last ditch effort they went to that form and oddly increased their revenue and subscriptions by 500%

J.B.
06-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I am not sure bout that one. I bought Assassins Creed 2 for 24$ on Amazon. IF you look at what it cost on Gamestop its 23$ used. Same game new from there is 40$. 21$+3 shipping on Ebay.

I havent sold any games in a long while, there always seems to be some form of DLC that gets my interest, probably another thing to keep game resales down as well.

Well what I meant by marking up the pre-owned games is in terms of what they buy them back for.

It really just depends on the popularity of the game. For instance, I traded in Nascar 09 and got under $20 for it, but when I was back in the store a few days later they had my same copy on the shelf for $40 (Nascar 09 is the last year for the EA Nascar games). I also traded in NHL 09 and I got under $10 and they were selling it for $20.

I saw AC 2 for like 24 or 25 bucks last time I was in Gamestop, so I'm assuming the buy back price is like 10 or 12 dollars. So, why would anybody in their right mind go out and buy that game at full price right now? The bulk of game sales are mostly recorded in the first month of a game's release anyway, and the market is constantly flooded with new games. It's hard for people to keep up with constantly spending $60 on games.

I think in the future it will start to go further away from games based on disc and start to get more into the direct download or streaming formats. There are already services like Gametap that have a subscription based service that allows you to play 1000's of games without ever downloading them.That will be one way to curb resales in the game industry, but it will certainly kill the nostalgia.

jason2130
06-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Oddly thats what saved the game, subscription wise it was really tanking bad. In a last ditch effort they went to that form and oddly increased their revenue and subscriptions by 500%

got me playing it, bought a few add ons instead on monthly fees, when lord of the rings goes free il prolly go back to it for awhile

been playing "kingdom heroes" lately, have a lvl 50 warrior (shield based) if anyone plays it a fun/free mmo where you have your character and between 2-6 soldiers/pets following you all the time

sadly i have seen you pic by your name and just dawned on me its a tauren :laugh: havent had my account on since the last expansion, i feel like playing it again but when i turn it on i cant decide what char to play, i want all my 70s to be 80 but never stay on one long enough to do anything :frantics: i find myslef loggin on and off swapping chars until i get frustrated and go play something else

J.B.
06-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Go figure, not long after making my last post, I stumbled across this headline over at Yahoo....:laugh:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/cloud-computing-a-paradigm-shift-for-gaming/1402424

jason2130
06-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Go figure, not long after making my last post, I stumbled across this headline over at Yahoo....:laugh:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/cloud-computing-a-paradigm-shift-for-gaming/1402424

am i understanding it wrong? they make it sound like its some new concept but isnt it just Gametap (9.99 for unlimited access to a huge game library of PC, nintendo, sega, aracde, etc etc games on your PC) with better technology? i loved until the big update to try and use the browser to play games and everything went to crap for awhile, never went back to see if its been fixed

J.B.
06-17-2010, 05:16 AM
am i understanding it wrong? they make it sound like its some new concept but isnt it just Gametap (9.99 for unlimited access to a huge game library of PC, nintendo, sega, aracde, etc etc games on your PC) with better technology? i loved until the big update to try and use the browser to play games and everything went to crap for awhile, never went back to see if its been fixed

Well, it's not really like Gametap, because Gametap is only through your PC, and honestly when I used Gametap it wasn't all that great. This is set to launch on computers, but they are bringing it to TV sets as well.

What makes this more exciting than Gametap is that OnLive apparently has some pretty big financial backers, such as AT&T and Time Warner. Thus, if it becomes a hit when they bring it to TV sets, they already have a big foothold in the industry by being able to easily access customers through their cable/internet providers. That, and if it truly is as high end as they claim, it really opens a realm of possibilities for how games are delivered to us in the future.

It it supposed to launch tomorrow, and the list of games that is on their website as of right now is...

Assassins Creed 2
Dirt 2
Boderlands
Batman: Arkahm Asylum
Dragon Age: Orgins
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2
NBA 2k10
Prince of Persia
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lego Harry Potter

That's a pretty solid list of new games. If they actually run as good as they claim, this could actually be very exciting.

jason2130
06-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Well, it's not really like Gametap, because Gametap is only through your PC, and honestly when I used Gametap it wasn't all that great. This is set to launch on computers, but they are bringing it to TV sets as well.

What makes this more exciting than Gametap is that OnLive apparently has some pretty big financial backers, such as AT&T and Time Warner. Thus, if it becomes a hit when they bring it to TV sets, they already have a big foothold in the industry by being able to easily access customers through their cable/internet providers. That, and if it truly is as high end as they claim, it really opens a realm of possibilities for how games are delivered to us in the future.

It it supposed to launch tomorrow, and the list of games that is on their website as of right now is...

Assassins Creed 2
Dirt 2
Boderlands
Batman: Arkahm Asylum
Dragon Age: Orgins
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2
NBA 2k10
Prince of Persia
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lego Harry Potter

That's a pretty solid list of new games. If they actually run as good as they claim, this could actually be very exciting.

i had a decent experience with gametap but i spent $15 dollars for 3 months and like strategy games (and it has tons of them), but once they changed from their gametap gameconsoleprogram thingy and changed it to the webbrowser i couldnt stand it

signed up for the free 12 months founders thing :)

prices are gonna be what makes or breaks this, once its live you need a membership fee to play demos and use the service
then buy 3 day 5 day or unlimited access to each game individually, im interested to say the least but if it cost the same for unlimited access as it does to get a disc or steam version id rather have my own copy

i can see where someone without a xbox360, ps3 or gaming comp would get use out of it if they want mass effect 2 for instance and their current comp wont play it, its a cheaper option then buying a xbox or upgrading your comp

J.B.
06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
i had a decent experience with gametap but i spent $15 dollars for 3 months and like strategy games (and it has tons of them), but once they changed from their gametap gameconsoleprogram thingy and changed it to the webbrowser i couldnt stand it

signed up for the free 12 months founders thing :)

prices are gonna be what makes or breaks this, once its live you need a membership fee to play demos and use the service
then buy 3 day 5 day or unlimited access to each game individually, im interested to say the least but if it cost the same for unlimited access as it does to get a disc or steam version id rather have my own copy

i can see where someone without a xbox360, ps3 or gaming comp would get use out of it if they want mass effect 2 for instance and their current comp wont play it, its a cheaper option then buying a xbox or upgrading your comp

I liked the concept of Gametap, and it was fun for a month or so, but I either already had most of the games, or I could emulate them on the PC with faster programs than theirs.

Whats funny is the only reason I said I HAD to try gametap was because I browsing their list of titles and they had some old PC games from the 80's with one in particular called the "Movie Monster Game". Love that game, classic. :laugh:

logrus
06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I dont think this online gaming idea is going to pan out. Having to totally rely on an outside source is not something gamers are a big fan of. Think of how often they will have to shut down servers for maintenance and repairs. It could be like the MMO's where they are down for a couple hours that turn into 1-3 days.

Connectivity is also going to be a huge problem, I run 6.0Mbps and at times my internet still acts like total crap. It still has problems with what I do now so I dont know how I would handle playing a game online and for it to crap out. An what happens if you cant pay the bill for either a month lol.

I need to find some old emulated games, J.B, LINK ME!!!! lol

J.B.
06-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I dont think this online gaming idea is going to pan out. Having to totally rely on an outside source is not something gamers are a big fan of. Think of how often they will have to shut down servers for maintenance and repairs. It could be like the MMO's where they are down for a couple hours that turn into 1-3 days.

Connectivity is also going to be a huge problem, I run 6.0Mbps and at times my internet still acts like total crap. It still has problems with what I do now so I dont know how I would handle playing a game online and for it to crap out. An what happens if you cant pay the bill for either a month lol.

I need to find some old emulated games, J.B, LINK ME!!!! lol

You are right about those issues and it would tick people off to some degree. However, if they can get it down to a science over the next 10 years, I do think it could possibly be the future of how we a lot more games being delivered.

Here is a good place to get the best emulators for all systems... http://www.emulator-zone.com/

As for the roms, do some torrent searches for some all in one zip files that contain whole romsets, it's easier than trying to do it game by game. I'm actually just about to walk out the door as I am typing this, but when I get back I will shoot you a PM with some links. :)

logrus
06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
You are right about those issues and it would tick people off to some degree. However, if they can get it down to a science over the next 10 years, I do think it could possibly be the future of how we a lot more games being delivered.

Here is a good place to get the best emulators for all systems... http://www.emulator-zone.com/

As for the roms, do some torrent searches for some all in one zip files that contain whole romsets, it's easier than trying to do it game by game. I'm actually just about to walk out the door as I am typing this, but when I get back I will shoot you a PM with some links. :)

The worst MMO I dealt with in terms of server go boom was in FFXI, The game was down for almost 3 days and prior to that and after it was constantly hit with DDoS attacks which was a nightmare in itself.

Something else people are worried about is similar to the way GoD are or DLC like with the 360. If I buy a game from the Games on Demand list. Once its on my hard drive I cant switch my HDD with a friends to play it, It becomes like and OEM basically. Then of corse with the DLC i have to have the game still and I have to be connected online for it to even work...

VCURamFan
06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Here's MMA Payout's review of E3 & & the game:

Entering the Los Angeles Convention Center, it was clear to see who the biggest player in the gaming industry was purely based on location and visibility, and that was undoubtedly Electronic Arts.

http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4585-1024x768.jpg (http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4585.jpg)

EA’s spacious exhibit, which was located just a few feet from the main entrance, made it nearly impossible to miss them. Second to EA was probably Microsoft, coming off huge Monday announcements regarding the new re-designed XBOX and their highly anticipated accessory, the Xbox Kinect. Other companies with a presence in E3 were G4 TV, Nintendo, and PlayStation.

As I stepped into the venue, I was greeted by EA’s product marketing manager Randy Chase followed by several members of the EA Sports MMA development team, who have been working hard to polish the game and meet their October 19th release date. First thing I noticed was that the EA Sports MMA exhibit had a good amount of traffic, filled with mostly enthusiastic fans and gamers who were experiencing playing a MMA game for the very first time. The EA Sports MMA trailer above the game stations did a great job at captivating curious gamers. Those who were reluctant were encouraged to try the game by the EA team, and most appeared to have an enjoyable experience.

http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyNzcxMTg2OTM3OTYmcHQ9MTI3NzEyMTc5MDA*OS ZwPTE5ODY4MSZkPTBfMjZ4cjNodDkmZz*yJm89NWRiZGZmNmFj/YzQ1NDQyZDkwNmM4OTgxYTM2YTk*YTkmb2Y9MA==.gif

Game developers like Victor Lugo were more than happy to teach anyone playing the game how to perform different maneuvers and the small nuances of the game. The developers were very observant during this introduction phase, analyzing the player’s reactions and frustrations during their gaming experience. We also had Strikeforce fighters show up throughout the day. Frank Shamrock, Gilbert Melendez, and Mayhem Miller all stopped by and played against developers and willing gamers. Everyone had a pretty good time, and fighters did a great job at signing autographs or taking pictures with fans. It was an enjoyable experience all around.

http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4552-e1276858288232-1024x581.jpg (http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4552.jpg)

What I learned from playing the EA Sports MMA Demo: Lenne Hardt announces the winner of the match when you play with the Japanese rule set, which will be a huge plus for the hardcore Japanese MMA fans. When playing with Unified Rules, Jimmy Lennon Jr. announces the winner as a Strikeforce event would. The graphics and the fluidity of the fighter movements, specifically when the fight is taken to the ground, are very nicely done. Compared to the UFC Undisputed control scheme, it is completely different and a bit more like EA’s Fight Night. If you have it in your DNA to mash buttons furiously, you will quickly gas out and most likely be stopped either by strikes or a submission, so there is a bit of a learning curve when transitioning from Undisputed to EA Sports MMA.

You can’t fault EA here though, they did a wonderful job selling the game to anyone willing to try it. As a result of having a successful E3 event, EA Sports MMA was nominated for “Best of E3″ by IGN, 1UP, and Kokatu, who are 3 of the most respected video game content providers in the industry. In total, EA Sports MMA was nominated for 8 “Best of E3″ awards when E3 wrapped up on Thursday.

(http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4550.jpg)
http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4612-768x1024.jpg (http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4612.jpg)

Most interesting to me was the fact that just under the monitor screens of the game stations, EA placed Strikeforce Live promo material encouraging curious gamers to witness MMA live after the E3 event, persuading them with a percentage discount credit towards a ticket purchase for the event. To also promote the event, EA bought groups of tickets and gave them to fighters like Jason “Mayhem” Miller and “King” Mo Lawal to give away to fans. There was definitely some strong synergy between Strikeforce and EA during the E3 event, and later on during the Strikeforce Live event.

Something else that caught my attention was the new sponsor Strikeforce picked up for this event, which was GoDaddy.com. If you can recall, the last time GoDaddy was involved in MMA was when they were a huge sponsor for the now infamous Affliction third show that never took place. I was curious when they were going to jump back into MMA, and I got my answer as soon as I spotted their logo on the Strikeforce promo.

http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4550-1024x768.jpg (http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_4550.jpg)

As it was time to close up E3 for the day, “Mayhem” and “El Nino” brawled one last time before they flipped the power switch.

http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/0616101803-00-e1276897971430-1024x642.jpg (http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/0616101803-00.jpg)

Here is the cover of EA Sports MMA video game (courtesy of MiddleEasy (http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2401:middleeasys-exclusive-hands-on-preview-of-ea-sports-mma&catid=34:organizations)), which was announced on EA’s Monday Presser:

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/organizations/videogames/eabigbox.jpg (http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2401:middleeasys-exclusive-hands-on-preview-of-ea-sports-mma&catid=34:organizations)

Payout Perspective:
What was noticeable at E3 to me was how close EA and Strikeforce worked together to pull off this combination event. Having fighters stop by and meet the fans plus properly placing promotional material were great ways to get E3 attendees to experience live MMA via Strikeforce, and apparently, it worked. Where I was sitting, I overheard ticket purchasers mention that this was the first time they attended an MMA event and really didn’t know any of the fighters on the card. From observing the people around me, I can definitely say that there were a lot of new eyeballs there at the Nokia Theater that night to witness MMA in person. According to MMAJunkie (http://mmajunkie.com/news/19568/strikeforce-los-angeles-draws-reported-5259-attendees-for-418k-gate.mma), the event drew 5,259 attendees with a gate of 418K, which will have to be considered a success for a Wednesday Strikeforce show in Los Angeles sandwiched between NBA Final games. For comparison, the Strikeforce Miami show only drew 7K attendees for a 301K gate, though it did great rating numbers on Showtime.

Some may have criticized Strikeforce for only having a 6 fight card with only 2 prelims, but lets not forget that this event was unofficially held in conjunction to E3 (walking distance from LA Convention Center), which is why it was specifically planned with EA in this manner. If Strikeforce added any more prelims, the start time would have been bumped to 5 PM PST, which would have then overlapped with the Expo, since E3 was scheduled to be open from 10AM to 6 PM PST on that night. Strikeforce and EA then gave E3 attendees an hour to make their way to the Nokia Theater area and purchase tickets for the event, which started at 7 PM PST. They couldn’t fit any more prelims due to the Showtime broadcast start time of 8 PM PST/11 PM EST, which some East Coasters were already complaining was a tad bit too late for their taste. The safe bet here was to only schedule 2 prelim fights, which ended up giving the attendees 20 minutes to kill before the Showtime broadcast started, though I am glad to report that the prelims were good and exciting fights.

The bet with EA Sports MMA from Strikeforce’s point of view is that it will give a big boost to their brand and hopefully allow their fighters to become stars and household names in the near future, much like UFC Undisputed 2009 was able to do for the UFC. EA has already heard the praises for the game, and all that is left now is to see how well the game will sell, hoping that adding UFC’s Randy Couture and MMA great Fedor on the front cover will attract some extra mainstream eyeballs. Though Undisputed 2009 had a record-breaking debut, its follow-up release, UFC Undisputed 2010, is having slower than anticipated sales at the moment, which may be an indicator that MMA fans may not be looking to buy a new MMA game after Undisputed 2009 satisfied their urge for a quality MMA title. EA does offer a great deal of features and game-play that Undisputed does not, but will EA’s name be able to sell enough copies to satisfy the game’s expectations, grow the Strikeforce brand, and allow their fighters to become more of a household name? The good news is that from what I witnessed on Wednesday, the game release will generate a good amount of buzz. EA has a great marketing and advertising campaign going, not to mention a nice budget for games it gets firmly behind. From everything that I saw on Wednesday, they are clearly behind MMA, EA Sports MMA, and Strikeforce.

VCURamFan
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
"What EA Sports MMA Needs to Succeed "

For the longest time, fans of MMA were left without a video game to call their own. With the release of UFC 2009: Undisputed, MMA (http://www.fighters.com/07/) video games have made a triumphant return. Fans of MMA and video games have it especially good in 2010, as publishing juggernaut Electronic Arts is set to launch “EA Sports MMA” in 2010, featuring a roster that includes Fedor Emelianenko (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/fedor-emelianenko), Randy Couture (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/randy-couture), and countless others from both Strikeforce and the Japanese-based DREAM promotion. But can it topple UFC Undisputed 2010 and become the marquee franchise in the MMA video game market?

I found myself having an intense love/hate relationship with UFC 2010: when the game works, it’s a wonderful recreation of an actual MMA fight. When it doesn’t work, the game is an infuriating, controller-breaking mess. If done correctly, EA Sports MMA has a good chance of toppling THQ from the MMA video game throne. Looking forward, here are a few key factors I think will influence EA Sports MMA’s chances of success.

The first and all-important factor is the gameplay. The game needs to be equal parts fun and challenging: “easy to learn, difficult to master” comes to mind. There have been a few details revealed about how the game plays, but I’ll reserve judgment until I have the disc in my Xbox and a controller in my hands. But I’ll say this: EA MMA should try its absolute hardest to do away with the cheap gameplay mechanics that makes UFC 2010 such a chore to play.
If a fighter does nothing but spam takedowns, that fighter should have his stamina depleted if those takedowns are consistently blocked. I’ve lost count of how many times I would block a large number of takedowns from a takedown spammer in UFC 2010, only to get caught with one last takedown as I was trying to counter and end up getting KO’d or put into a submission. Speaking of counters, reversals should be incredibly difficult to pull off, and should only be available to high-level grapplers. In UFC 2010, the reversal system is so broken that nine times out of ten my online opponent will do nothing but sit in my guard and wait for me to try and break free, so he can reverse me. It makes for a boring, incredibly frustrating fight, and if EA MMA does away with it, they can count me in as a paying customer.

Speaking of online, a fluid and diverse online mode would be a fantastic way that EA MMA could pull ahead of the Undisputed franchise. Upon its release, the online in UFC 2010 was downright broken. Even with a number of patches since its release, I’ve still encountered game-breaking amounts of lag in several online fights. Not only that, but the Undisputed online mode is relatively weak. Fight camps were a good idea, but vastly under-utilized. If EA MMA can provide a robust and completely lag-free online mode, I think they could easily pull ahead of UFC 2010.

I think a good story/career mode would be the final piece of the puzzle that would make EA MMA better than UFC 2010. I want to actually care about my Create-a-Fighter, I need much more back-story than just an up-and-coming rookie trying to make his way to the top. Give me the ability to fully interact with my trainers and partners, give me fully interactive cutscenes, interviews, and weigh-ins, give me an honest-to-goodness story mode with branching paths. I need more of a reason to give a crap about my fighter other than the fact that it’s cool to see something I created go toe-to-toe with an actual MMA star. If EA MMA can deliver a career mode that’s truly worth playing, it will set a precedent that the Undisputed franchise would have a hard time trying to top.

logrus
07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Ill wait for JB to finish his fight with Shaq and then put down his controller and give us his thoughts on 2010...

J.B.
07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Ill wait for JB to finish his fight with Shaq and then put down his controller and give us his thoughts on 2010...

I think UFC 2010 is a frustrating piece of crap filled with careless oversight on numerous levels.

With that being said, I still love the game to large degree. It's flashy and it delivers the UFC product well, so it's got that much going for it. It would be easy for me to write you a laundry list of complaints about it, but I will just say that I think it's a solid game in many ways and a flawed game in many ways as well. Personally, I believe EA will deliver a better product with their game because they are the gold standard in sports video games.

VCURamFan
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I think UFC 2010 is a frustrating piece of crap filled with careless oversight on numerous levels.

With that being said, I still love the game to large degree. It's flashy and it delivers the UFC product well, so it's got that much going for it. It would be easy for me to write you a laundry list of complaints about it, but I will just say that I think it's a solid game in many ways and a flawed game in many ways as well. Personally, I believe EA will deliver a better product with their game because they are the gold standard in sports video games.
Here's hoping. I'm excited for when it comes out.

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Giveaway contest:
http://mmapayout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/EAUltimateMakeover.jpg

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Randy was aparently key in setting up game strategy:

Randy Couture (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Randy+Couture/) will be on the cover of EA Sports' upcoming MMA video game, and he's the only active UFC star who will appear in the EA game, rather than THQ's UFC Undisputed game. But while Couture's star power is the most important thing he brings to the EA game, he also brought something else: Strategy.

On Tuesday EA released some details about the game's "career mode," which will allow players to get better by training with Couture, Bas Rutten, Pat Miletich, Rickson Gracie and others. And EA's Randy Chase told MMAFighting.com that Couture was particularly involved in providing an element of realism to the way a fighter's career progresses.

"Randy has been to our studio five or six times and has spent a lot of time with our developers and even though he's not really a gamer, he has shared so much about the fights, and about how he trains for specific opponents," Chase said. "One of the things he talked about is that when you're training, if you're training to fight a wrestler, you want wrestlers in your camp. And that's something that we really put into our career mode."

The Xtreme Couture gym is one of the gyms that fighters work out in as part of the EA game's career mode, and it was on the real Couture gym in Las Vegas.

Couture offered EA insight into how fighters actually learn Brazilian jiu jitsu, Muay Thai and wrestling techniques, and how they prepare for specific opponents by bringing in specific sparring partners. In the EA game, players will do the same.

"That's such an important part of the sport," Chase said. "The challenge of our game isn't learning complex controls, it's getting the timing down, and learning how to approach a specific opponent in a way that will allow you to be successful, bring in the right people to prepare you in your camp."

Chase said Couture and the other fighters and trainers featured in the game gave the developers plenty of tips on how to make the career mode resemble the ups and downs of an actual fighter's MMA career.

"We worked really closely with the trainers and the fighters in our game," Chase said. "We want to re-create the sport."

J.B.
07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Sherdog posted a video that breaks down the Career mode...it looks awesome. Training with Bas, Randy, Pat, and Rickson Gracie.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/EA-Sports-MMA-Career-Mode-Preview-2536

It's gonna be great to soccer kick and head-stomp people :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Sherdog posted a video that breaks down the Career mode...it looks awesome. Training with Bas, Randy, Pat, and Rickson Gracie.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/EA-Sports-MMA-Career-Mode-Preview-2536

It's gonna be great to soccer kick and head-stomp people :laugh:
It's gonna be sick, dude. I'm getting seriously amped for this game.

Chris F
07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Much better game as it sounds that is for sure. Not sure how it plays however. I love the career mode ideas, much better then the THQ product. THis might be a game I do not wait till the following yera to buy. :)

J.B.
07-22-2010, 12:51 AM
THis might be a game I do not wait till the following yera to buy. :)

This might be a game I actually go out and buy at midnight.... :)
Well...besides Madden...but that is a tradition...

VCURamFan
07-22-2010, 02:33 AM
This might be a game I actually go out and buy at midnight.... :)
Well...besides Madden...but that is a tradition...
This may be a game I pre-order! :happydancing:

J.B.
07-22-2010, 03:28 AM
This may be a game I pre-order! :happydancing:

I did that a couple times, and sometimes you get extra stuff for doing that.

However, I can also say that when I bought Madden 10 w/o preorder at Midnight at the local Wal-Mart, I got a goodie-bag filled with a bunch of stuff. Also, I just recently bought a new copy of UFC 2010 at Gamestop and they still gave me a code to download Roy Nelson and the other fighters, which I thought was only supposed to be for preorder....:blink:

VCURamFan
08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
EA has just released the HW Roster for thier game:
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/136865/19m2qw_medium.jpg

LHW roster is due out on 8/16 (next Monday).

J.B.
08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
There are ads for it on the Madden 11. They are offering downloads of Frank Shamrock, Herschel Walker, and Big John McCarthy when you preorder the game.

VCURamFan
08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
There are ads for it on the Madden 11. They are offering downloads of Frank Shamrock, Herschel Walker, and Big John McCarthy when you preorder the game.
Heavywieght Roster:
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/heavy.jpg
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/legend.jpg

Light Heavyweight roster:
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/bloglhw.jpg
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/bloglhw-legend.jpg

Pre-order characters:
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/wp-post-thumbnail/2ip8yz.jpg
Frank from Wal-Mart, Big John from Best Buy & Herchel from GameStop

VCURamFan
08-17-2010, 05:35 PM
"A Crash Course in EA MMA: Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Rosters Now Official "

Electronic Arts, one of the biggest and most famous video game publishing companies on the planet, seems to be plowing full-tilt ahead with their upcoming MMA (http://www.fighters.com/08/) video game, “EA Sports MMA”. EA Sports is currently in the midst of revealing the official roster of the game, and so far, a complete list of both the Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight division fighters has been revealed. In addition, EA Sports MMA recently released a teaser video touting the game’s expansive online mode. For those in need of a refresher course, or even an introduction, here’s a quick rundown of what’s known about EA MMA so far, including the latest roster reveals.

1. The fighting system is a heavily-modified version of EA Sports’ premier boxing video game franchise, Fight Night. Punches are controlled using one of the analog sticks, and there is a button modifier that will allow for kicks.

2. The career mode will take your fighter around the world, with the ultimate goal being to sign to a major, real-life promotion, such as Strikeforce or the Japan-based DREAM. Both promotions have been confirmed as official leagues of the game, with Strikeforce being called the “premier league”.

3. Since the game features different locations around the world, different rules and venues are available. For example, it’s been revealed that you can compete in a Strikeforce cage, a rounded cage, and a ring. Different rulesets will allow everything from knees to the head of a grounded opponent to soccer kicks and stomps.

4. The official Heavyweight roster is as follows: Brett Rogers (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/brett-rogers), Bob Sapp (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/bob-sapp), Josh Barnett (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/josh-barnett), Tim Sylvia (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/tim-sylvia), Andreas Kraniotakes (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/andreas-kraniotakes), Hidehiko Yoshida (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/hidehiko-yoshida), Andrei Arlovski (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/andrei-arlovski), Muhammed Lawal (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/muhammed-lawal), Jeff Monson (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/jeff-monson), Ken Shamrock (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/ken-shamrock), Kevin Randleman (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/kevin-randleman), Bobby Lashley (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/bobby-lashley), Randy Couture (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/randy-couture), Fedor Emelianenko (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/fedor-emelianenko), Alistair Overeem (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/alistair-overeem), and Fabricio Werdum (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/fabricio-werdum).

5. The Light Heavyweight roster is as follows: Murilo Rua (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/murilo-rua), Matt Lindland (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/matt-lindland), Kevin Randleman, Dan Henderson (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/dan-henderson), Alistair Overeem, Vladimir Matyushenko (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/vladimir-matyushenko), Muhammed Lawal, Scott Smith (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/scott-smith), Roger Gracie (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/roger-gracie), Melvin Manhoef (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/melvin-manhoef), Ken Shamrock, Jason Miller (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/jason-miller), Bas Rutten (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/bas-rutten), Randy Couture, Renato Sobral (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/renato-sobral), Gegard Mousasi (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/gegard-mousasi), and Frank Shamrock (http://www.fighters.com/fighter/frank-shamrock).

6. The Create-a-Fighter is being touted as very in-depth, and there is an option to have a photo of your face digitized and put onto your created character.

7. The online mode is very expansive. Standard ranked and non-ranked modes are present, as is a specialty “booker” mode where you and up to nine other people can book and then compete in an event. All ten people can commentate during each match. EA Sports will also hold live specialty events featuring top-ranked players that will compete with thousands of spectators watching.

8. EA Sports is putting a lot of time into developing the EA Sports MMA community. Players can download each other’s recent fights, view highlights and replays, and even download each other’s created fighters.

9. EA Sports MMA is scheduled for an October 19 release on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 video game consoles.
That’s all the big news so far, fans and friends. As a self-professed hardcore gamer, I felt pretty hesitant about spending my money on this game when it was first revealed. After closely following the various update videos, press releases, interviews, and things of that nature, and especially after the colossal letdown that was UFC Undisputed 2010, more and more I find myself thinking that EA MMA is a can’t-miss title. The various modes and features seem to provide, on paper, a source of near-infinite replayability. If it catches on and the community grows strong, there’s a very real possibility that you’ll never have the same fight twice.

I admit that I was a little let down that the Light Heavyweight roster consists of so many cross-division fighters: Randy Couture is already in at Heavyweight, for example, as is Alistair Overeem, Muhammed Lawal, Ken Shamrock, etc. It’s also apparent that the non-Heavyweight Light Heavyweights will wind up in other divisions as well: I’m almost positive that we’ll see Jason Miller, Scott Smith, and Dan Henderson all revealed as part of the game’s Middleweight roster.
Seems like they don't have enough guys to fill up individual weight classes, so they're doubling up. A lot.

VCURamFan
08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
MW Roster now up:

http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/580ea_mma_middleweights.jpg
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/580ea_mma_middleweights_legend.jpg

I thought you had to pre-order to get Frank?

VCURamFan
08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
They have revealed one of the arenas available:

Cowboy Stadium -
http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/videogames/cowboystadium2.jpg

J.B.
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
They have revealed one of the arenas available:

Cowboy Stadium -
http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/videogames/cowboystadium2.jpg

That's sweet...:wink:

If Toney beats Couture EA should call him up and see if they can extend the deal they made with him for Fight Night and put him in this game. That would be hilarious.

Tyburn
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Has Jake Shields changed his name by Deedpole, or have they just made a terribilis error calling him "Jack" :ninja:

VCURamFan
08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Has Jake Shields changed his name by Deedpole, or have they just made a terribilis error calling him "Jack" :ninja:
Nope, I'd say that's on purpose. They're doing everything they can to not advertise a UFC fighter without losing the money they've spent rendering his character.

matthughesfan21
08-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Nope, I'd say that's on purpose. They're doing everything they can to not advertise a UFC fighter without losing the money they've spent rendering his character.
They didn't change any names with Couture or Matushyenko though

Rochambeau
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
How good is the Middleweight roster? I'm going to have fun playing with Joe Riggs! I'm pretty sure that EA are giving us an excellent game.

VCURamFan
09-03-2010, 05:07 PM
They didn't change any names with Couture or Matushyenko though

True, & now that they've released the WW & LW rankings, they've him listed as Jake again. Weird.

Rochambeau
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Jack, again.

VCURamFan
09-04-2010, 01:25 AM
No, they call him Jake here:
http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/ea_mma_welterweights.jpg

http://cdn.www.easports.com/mma/static/162/images/wordpress/ea_mma_welterweights_legend1.jpg

Rochambeau
09-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Oh, well, that's good. There are other errors on the site.

I like that they've now given Nick Thompson a beard.

VCURamFan
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Oh, well, that's good. There are other errors on the site.

I like that they've now given Nick Thompson a beard.

Yeah, hopefully they work out those little cosmetic issues before release.

Rochambeau
09-04-2010, 05:56 PM
They seem to spend a bit more time on the fighter appearances than THQ.

VCURamFan
09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
They seem to spend a bit more time on the fighter appearances than THQ.

on some the guys, yeah. Robbie looks like the Imp version of himself. They made him smaller & squatter than he is in real life.

Rochambeau
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Nick looks twice the size of him, which isn't right. It should be more the other way around?

VCURamFan
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Reasons to buy the game tomorrow:

Create-A-Fighter: “Game Face” sounds like a neat little tool, but I think EA MMA’s Create-a-Fighter mode will be a lot of fun with or without it. Everything released so far has CAF mode looking very well-done, easy to use, and incredibly immersive.

Career Mode: I don’t expect a BioShock or a Mass Effect when it comes to career mode (to non-gamers or casual gamers, I mean a game that excels at story-telling), although I’ve said time and time again that a great career mode would be a key ingredient in the perfect MMA game. Even if EA MMA’s career is just stat management and menu navigation (which is exactly what UFC Undisputed 2010’s career mode was), EA MMA still benefits from its global appeal and aspect. I can’t wait to take my fighter to Brazil, and then Japan, and then smaller US promotions, and then Strikeforce. Unless the game forces you down a set path, fighting all over the world adds a lot of replayability, since it gives you the option of pursuing different paths in multiple career modes.

Download CAFs Online: I can’t stress enough how the ability to download another player’s created fighters online has the potential to infinitely increase this game’s replayability. I say this without a shadow of a doubt in my mind: people are going to be making entire rosters of other organization’s fighters, and EA will either let it fly under the radar or stop only the most blatantly obvious offenders. Expect a lot of “Borck Laznir” and “Greggy St. Puree” type of fighters to begin popping up online for other players to download. Once talented players start making accurate depictions of the UFC’s best, it’ll be like having an entire second game for free.

Gameplay: There is a learning curve for EA Sports MMA, even if you’re a jaded UFC Undisputed gamer. In fact, I think that learning curve may have been why a lot of UFC Undisputed fans have been so negative towards this game. But once I learned how to play it on the control setting that worked best for me, I’ve had some amazing fights in the demo of this game. In just the demo, which was reportedly made from a summer build (meaning that the folks at EA MMA spent several months improving it), I’ve had some awesome fights against the AI on a variety of difficulties. The game mechanics may be tough to learn, but when you spend the time to get used to them, I honestly feel that what you’re left with is miles ahead of UFC Undisputed.

Online: I hated UFC Undisputed 2010’s online mode. Everyone seemed to hate it too, since UFC 2010 had lower-than-expected sales. I could go on all day about why I hated it, but all I’ll say is that EA MMA’s online mode seems far less open to cheap tactics than UFC 2010’s. You can play as the same fighter, your controller rumbles when your opponent tries to transition, reversing transitions takes actual skill and only a few positions can be reversed, there is no “submission charging”, and there are virtually no flash KO’s. Nowadays, most major sports games live and die based on their online modes. Even after the horror stories I had to endure during my time with UFC 2010, I can emphatically say that I can’t wait to play this game online.Got mine pre-ordered, so I'll be picking it up! :happydancing:

Rochambeau
10-19-2010, 04:43 AM
There will still be those online that quit once you start tooling them. I am pretty excited to play it though. I don't have it pre-ordered; I am hoping to get it close to release though.

VCURamFan
10-19-2010, 06:02 PM
It's out today. I didn't have time/energy after the gym lat night to go get it, but I'll swing by on the way home from work.

logrus
10-19-2010, 06:31 PM
There will still be those online that quit once you start tooling them. I am pretty excited to play it though. I don't have it pre-ordered; I am hoping to get it close to release though.

Yeah it was real bad in Madden 11 and it even got a bit crazy in Halo. I wish there were more dedicated servers where the company would just start banning people if they abused it.

J.B.
10-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah it was real bad in Madden 11 and it even got a bit crazy in Halo. I wish there were more dedicated servers where the company would just start banning people if they abused it.

They have since updated Madden and started coming down harder on repeat quitters and also correctly counting the wins for people who don't quit.

I have already read that EA MMA is having some issues with people getting spammed with submissions, but I guess I will find out in a couple hours when I go buy it.