PDA

View Full Version : Earmark Spending by our President

rockdawg21
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
So much for no earmark spending.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-02-24-earmarks_N.htm

WASHINGTON A $410 billion spending bill unveiled in Congress on Monday includes at least $3.8 billion worth of funding for the kinds of lawmakers' pet projects that President Obama has pledged to trim from future budgets.

The bill is meant to end a budget impasse left over from last year, after President Bush threatened to veto the Democratic-controlled Congress' plan because of its cost. It would fund most federal agencies through the end of the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30. Those agencies are operating under a congressional extension of last year's budgets that expires next week. Congress approved full-year budgets last fall for only three departments: Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs.

The bill introduced Monday includes 806 pages listing specific projects added to the spending bill by members of Congress. The $3.8 billion in the bill for legislative projects known as "earmarks" is down about 5% from the $4 billion in fiscal 2008, House Appropriations Committee spokeswoman Kirstin Brost said.

The House plans to vote on the bill this week.

Steve Ellis of non-partisan Taxpayers for Common Sense said the latest bill combined with $6.6 billion in earmarks already approved for Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs would bring the total cost of legislative projects to more than $10 billion for fiscal year 2009. Ellis said his group has yet to analyze the new bill, so he could not say exactly how much is for earmarks.

Obama and other critics say earmarks are often wasteful, and Obama has pledged to reduce the number and amount spent. On the White House website, Obama promises to "slash earmarks to no greater than 1994 levels" a campaign promise that he has said would cap earmarks at $7.8 billion.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs sidestepped a question about earmarks Monday, saying he hadn't discussed the bill with Obama. Gibbs suggested that Obama wants Congress to show restraint, saying that "everybody has to be involved in the sharing of pain" in the budget process.

Among them: $142,500 for a museum honoring the late House speaker Sam Rayburn, requested by Rep. Ralph Hall, R-Texas; $300,000 for a science camp curriculum in West Virginia requested by Rep. Alan Mollohan, D-W.Va.; and $150,000 for renovations to the Westwood Theater in Rexburg, Idaho, requested by Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho.

Crisco
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
seems like the Republicans threw a few in there. It's not all Big O's fault

NateR
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
seems like the Republicans threw a few in there. It's not all Big O's fault

Well, Obama is the one who opened the floodgates and is allowing for all this spending. If this fails, the Obama could be regarded as the most fiscally irresponsible President in our nation's history.

bradwright
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, Obama is the one who opened the floodgates and is allowing for all this spending. If this fails, the Obama could be regarded as the most fiscally irresponsible President in our nation's history.

Really?,,do you realize that before Obama took office that your country had a 550 billion dollar deficit and was more then 10 trillion in debt?
and most of it racked up in the last eight years,,

NateR
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Really?,,do you realize that before Obama took office that your country had a 550 billion dollar deficit and was more then 10 trillion in debt?

Yes, but that was because we were fighting two wars, one of which is effectively over. It wasn't some Capital Hill, pork-barrel spending spree.

bradwright
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes, but that was because we were fighting two wars, one of which is effectively over. It wasn't some Capital Hill, pork-barrel spending spree.
this spending spree i think is necessary to stave off a complete collapse of your country financially,,

as far as this being a burden to the tax payers?well lets just say at 480 thousand dollars of debt per house hold pre Obama this latest spending wont really matter that much,,the people were already in way over their heads and most didn't even know it,,

Bonnie
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, since we've never had a female president and most of Congress is made up of males, I feel totally okay with saying, "You men are total spendthrifts!". :tongue0011:

medic92
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, since we've never had a female president and most of Congress is made up of males, I feel totally okay with saying, "You men are total spendthrifts!". :tongue0011:

If it had been a woman president we'd be in the same situation but every American would have a closet full of government-supplied shoes. :tongue0011:

Moose
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Which war is effectively over Nate?

rockdawg21
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Don't be jealous Bonnie!

Besides, when the rest of the U.S. goes bankrupt, Texas will just concede. Our economy is only being dragged down by Washington.

Bonnie
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
If it had been a woman president we'd be in the same situation but every American would have a closet full of government-supplied shoes. :tongue0011:

You mean...something people can actually use...:blink:

BTW, you forgot "purses". Obviously, you know nothing about accessorizing. :tongue0011:

Crisco
02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Don't be jealous Bonnie!

Besides, when the rest of the U.S. goes bankrupt, Texas will just concede. Our economy is only being dragged down by Washington.

I hope that day comes I really do.

IF texas wants to go they should. Anyone else that wants to follow should too.

You may not like Obama but he is the elected leader of this nation and so far has not over stepped his power or pushed for more presidential powers unlike previous presidents.

I'm not an obama supporter by any means but how about a little ****ing loyalty to your country? Blame stuff on the liberals all you want but when things get hard look who wants to quit.

rockdawg21
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I hope that day comes I really do.

IF texas wants to go they should. Anyone else that wants to follow should too.

You may not like Obama but he is the elected leader of this nation and so far has not over stepped his power or pushed for more presidential powers unlike previous presidents.

I'm not an obama supporter by any means but how about a little ****ing loyalty to your country? Blame stuff on the liberals all you want but when things get hard look who wants to quit.
Sounds like the economy is stressing you out. It was a joke. You know? Funny! Ha ha! :w00t:

And no, I'm not blaming the liberals, I'm blaming all politicians.

Crisco
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Sounds like the economy is stressing you out. It was a joke. You know? Funny! Ha ha! :w00t:

And no, I'm not blaming the liberals, I'm blaming all politicians.

Na not stressed bro I'm still doing fine. But I'm worried about the rest of the people that live here.

Stuff sucks right now and we all need to stick together. It's so hard having so many groups in this country because nothing ever gets done and we are always bickering.

The moderate stance is the way of the future and the hardliners on both ends will eventually have to drift.

Everyone is so worried about their owns beliefs and doesn't give a crap about other people's. It's the era of self importance.

Anyway sorry for freaking

logrus
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM

What are you talking about, every republican knows that the ecomony went bad in late 08, there was never 8 years of seelign ti coming .
:Whistle:

rockdawg21
02-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Na not stressed bro I'm still doing fine. But I'm worried about the rest of the people that live here.

Stuff sucks right now and we all need to stick together. It's so hard having so many groups in this country because nothing ever gets done and we are always bickering.

The moderate stance is the way of the future and the hardliners on both ends will eventually have to drift.

Everyone is so worried about their owns beliefs and doesn't give a crap about other people's. It's the era of self importance.

Anyway sorry for freaking
No worries man, in fact, I admire your passion. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/55.gif

Krupp
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
If things go even further south and I'm graduted, and if I have enough money to do so, I'm heading for Ireland. If I'm gonna be living in poverty or whatever at least I'll be able to do it in the one country i've been wanting to live in besides the US for the last several years...

rockdawg21
02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
If things go even further south and I'm graduted, and if I have enough money to do so, I'm heading for Ireland. If I'm gonna be living in poverty or whatever at least I'll be able to do it in the one country i've been wanting to live in besides the US for the last several years...
If all you want to do is get drunk and fight, you can always go on TUF. :laugh:

NateR
02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Which war is effectively over Nate?

Iraq, Bush started withdrawing troops last October and their focus was turning to Afghanistan before Obama was even elected. The troop surge in Iraq worked and we won the war.:)

Neezar
02-25-2009, 02:23 AM

Do you realize that those numbers were just tripled in about 2 months?!

:rolleyes:

bradwright
02-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Do you realize that those numbers were just tripled in about 2 months?!

:rolleyes:
which numbers would that be,,the 550 billion or the 10 TRILLION,,

neither one was tripled,,:rolleyes:

bradwright
02-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Iraq, Bush started withdrawing troops last October and their focus was turning to Afghanistan before Obama was even elected. The troop surge in Iraq worked and we won the war.:)
exactly what was won in Iraq?

NateR
02-25-2009, 03:08 AM
exactly what was won in Iraq?

Well, the government just had their first free elections and are well on their way to becoming a self-sufficient nation. Talk to the US soldiers who are actually there on the ground, don't listen to the reporters with a liberal agenda who have never even visited the country, because they are lying through their teeth.

Of course, that doesn't mean we can abandon Iraq now, but that's nothing new. We're still in Germany, even though WW2 ended in 1945 and they reunified in 1990, and we're still in Korea, even though they signed a cease fire in 1953.

Neezar
02-25-2009, 03:09 AM
which numbers would that be,,the 550 billion or the 10 TRILLION,,

neither one was tripled,,:rolleyes:

So, I exaggerated a little. :laugh:

The deficit he inherited from Bush was $400 billion and he just spent that amount in a couple of months. Better?

bradwright
02-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Well, the government just had their first free elections and are well on their way to becoming a self-sufficient nation. Talk to the US soldiers who are actually there on the ground, don't listen to the reporters with a liberal agenda who have never even visited the country, because they are lying through their teeth.

Of course, that doesn't mean we can abandon Iraq now, but that's nothing new. We're still in Germany, even though WW2 ended in 1945 and they reunified in 1990, and we're still in Korea, even though they signed a cease fire in 1953.

Iran is licking there chops at the prospects of the troops being pulled out and the war being declared over,and after a couple of years there will be a new dictator calling the shots,

NateR
02-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Iran is licking there chops at the prospects of the troops being pulled out and the war being declared over,and after a couple of years there will be a new dictator calling the shots,

Well, Saddam and his two sons were torturing and killing hundreds of thousands of their own citizens. So we did the right thing in toppling his dictatorship.

It might not have been convenient for us, but the right thing rarely is.

bradwright
02-25-2009, 03:35 AM
So, I exaggerated a little. :laugh:

The deficit he inherited from Bush was $400 billion and he just spent that amount in a couple of months. Better?
thats better,an honest mistake on your part i'm sure,,i'd say no hard feelings but i would be LYING,,:ninja:

just kidding,,we all make mistakes,,even i have been wrong before,,you see one time i thought i was wrong but actually i was right so really i was wrong,see what i mean?
just dont let it happen again,:wink:

okay okay easy now,,i was just kidding,,:)

bradwright
02-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Well, Saddam and his two sons were torturing and killing hundreds of thousands of their own citizens. So we did the right thing in toppling his dictatorship.

It might not have been convenient for us, but the right thing rarely is.

i'm not questioning the reasoning behind the war,,i'm just saying the war there will never be over,,it might take a break from time to time but it will always be there,,

kyle
02-25-2009, 04:52 AM
i'm not questioning the reasoning behind the war,,i'm just saying the war there will never be over,,it might take a break from time to time but it will always be there,,

Have you been to Iraq? I'm assuming you have you seem to know the in's and out's better than our troops. Heck I'm starting to think your a reporter. I will tell you one thing i agree on and that's the war will never be over. Do you no why it will never be over? That's because we are not at war with Iraq and we never were....But now that we are there the majority of the people that are killing us, are not Iraqi. ha you probably didn't know that did you.

Just to paint a picture in you head of what were actual facing over there. My TC was shot by a sniper in Tal Afar which is up in northern Iraq this guy has killed 7 U.S. soldiers at the time we finally caught the guy......Guess where he was from the Czech Republic...heck i don't even think that's an Arabic country but the guys that caught him said he was hired as a mercenary to kill us.

Iraq is won, we liberated people that were living under the dictatorship of Saddam. What were wants used for safe houses and places for Saddam's executions are now schools. We have helped restore running water thousands of homes that have not seen that in years. I was there when they had there first open election.

I can go on about all the positive things that we have done since we been over their B/C all you know are the negs. but I've realized at this point in life when someone has an ignorant view on war that they see watching T.V... you will never change their mind.

logrus
02-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Have you been to Iraq? I'm assuming you have you seem to know the in's and out's better than our troops. Heck I'm starting to think your a reporter. I will tell you one thing i agree on and that's the war will never be over. Do you no why it will never be over? That's because we are not at war with Iraq and we never were....But now that we are there the majority of the people that are killing us, are not Iraqi. ha you probably didn't know that did you.

Just to paint a picture in you head of what were actual facing over there. My TC was shot by a sniper in Tal Afar which is up in northern Iraq this guy has killed 7 U.S. soldiers at the time we finally caught the guy......Guess where he was from the Czech Republic...heck i don't even think that's an Arabic country but the guys that caught him said he was hired as a mercenary to kill us.

Iraq is won, we liberated people that were living under the dictatorship of Saddam. What were wants used for safe houses and places for Saddam's executions are now schools. We have helped restore running water thousands of homes that have not seen that in years. I was there when they had there first open election.

I can go on about all the positive things that we have done since we been over their B/C all you know are the negs. but I've realized at this point in life when someone has an ignorant view on war that they see watching T.V... you will never change their mind.

I have a few soldier buddies who are glad they aren't going back to Iraq, they are in Afgan causing trouble I would imagine but they dont say much til they come home, one is due home for R and R soon, with his time spent there down in Oct, actually I think a couple of them are doen in Oct and a few allot longer.

I don't care about the views of anyone on the forum anymore in regards to political aspects, its nothing more then hypocritical b.s twisted and molded to fit their views at the time. Then rearranged to fit the next argument so that it better suits their argument. Damned if you do Damned if you don't never more truer. This part wasn't aimed at you by the way, the first half was about my buddies.

bradwright
02-25-2009, 05:57 AM

you sound very bitter and i'm sorry you have had to endure things in Iraq that have caused you to become that way but you assume i get my information from watching T.V and you couldn't be farther from the truth,,
as far as fighting non Iraqi's? that information has been out for a long time now and if you want to know who is footing the bill just look to IRAN,
i dont dispute that a lot of positive change has occurred in Iraq all i'm saying is it wont last,,heck half the people there hate the other half of the people and as soon as the majority of the troops are gone they will start killing each other and it will all be fueled by Iran,

Neezar
02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
thats better,an honest mistake on your part i'm sure,,i'd say no hard feelings but i would be LYING,,:ninja:

just kidding,,we all make mistakes,,even i have been wrong before,,you see one time i thought i was wrong but actually i was right so really i was wrong,see what i mean?
just dont let it happen again,:wink:

okay okay easy now,,i was just kidding,,:)

Is your comma button stickin' or somethin'? :irked:

bradwright
02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Is your comma button stickin' or somethin'? :irked:
I type with one finger and it just so happens that finger has nerve damage from an old square dancing accident and every once in a while it shakes uncontrollably,usually when its on the comma button,,,,see there it go's again,
so you see its a disability that i have to live with,,sorry if it bothers you,,:sad:
i'll try to be more considerate from now on,,,,DARN,sorry about that.

Neezar
02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I type with one finger and it just so happens that finger has nerve damage from an old square dancing accident and every once in a while it shakes uncontrollably,usually when its on the comma button,,,,see there it go's again,
so you see its a disability that i have to live with,,sorry if it bothers you,,:sad:
i'll try to be more considerate from now on,,,,DARN,sorry about that.

OH :mellow: Sorry. :ashamed: I didn't mean to be insensitive. I have a friend who lost his big toe in a square dancing incident. He still has a limp. And people are so cruel, they call him 'sloo-foot'. :sad:

Bonnie
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
My goodness, I never realized how dangerous square dancing is. :scared0015: Was it the dosey doe; it was wasn't it? :scared0011:

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
OH :mellow: Sorry. :ashamed: I didn't mean to be insensitive. I have a friend who lost his big toe in a square dancing incident. He still has a limp. And people are so cruel, they call him 'sloo-foot'. :sad:
Oh my goodness, I had a friend who lost his testicles in a square-dancing incident, he has a high-pitched voice too. They call him Mr. Opera.
However, I believe he didn't have the testicles prior to agreeing to the square-dance.

Neezar
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
My goodness, I never realized how dangerous square dancing is. :scared0015: Was it the dosey doe; it was wasn't it? :scared0011:

Most people have never seen true square dancing. It is an art.

Neezar
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh my goodness, I had a friend who lost his testicles in a square-dancing incident, he has a high-pitched voice too. They call him Mr. Opera.
However, I believe he didn't have the testicles prior to agreeing to the square-dance.

He must have had some. Cause square dancing isn't for the faint hearted.

:laugh:

Bonnie
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Most people have never seen true square dancing. It is an art.

It is! And lots of fun too! :)

County Mike
02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
My friend had his face and testicles ripped off by a wild chimpanzee at a square dancing contest. His name was Cooter.

rockdawg21
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I was at a square dancing contest where I ripped off a friend who owned a chimpanzee who ripped off a contestant's face and testicles. I got $3.73 for my efforts. I bought a gallon of gas.

bradwright
02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure about Neezars friend but i could tell you my story,

it was a dark and cloudy tuesday night in late august of 1982 and i was sitting in my car outside the auditorium trying to work up the courage to go in when i was suddenly startled by a noise,,kaaa kooo,kaaa kooo, i heard it over and over again,thinking i was in the middle of an episode of fantasy island i scrambled out of my car as fast as i could only to realize it was a crow that seemed to be having some sort of identity crisis,

i remember saying to myself "well thats a relief" when all of a sudden there was a very faint oder of perfume in the air,and not just any perfume it was a fragrance that i remember only one girl ever wearing,Carla,the reason i got into square dancing in the first place,just the mere thought of her name would increase my heart rate and start sending more blood to all the right places,could it really be her i thought as i quickly turned around,
and there she stood,the sunlight gently caressing her hair,even more beautiful then i remember i thought,
"Hey there Carla"i said," HI,its been a long time" she replied with a smile on her face,
'what are you doing here" i asked,"well" she said,"it seems you guys are putting on a square dancing show tonight and one of the girls came down with the flue so they contacted me to see if i could fill in and i said sure, so here i am",
"we better get in there" she said,"we wouldn't want to be late"
we got in there in time to take our places just as the curtain was going up,

here we go i thought, i asked myself,are we really ready for this?,the years and years of practice should have prepared us for anything,but i'm not sure about this,
the curtain was raised and while we waited for the music to start i just looked out over the audience and felt a little panic set in,never before has 27 people been so intimidating to me,

well the music started and we were away,,doe si doe swing your partner too and fro the caller said,
grab your partner by the hand race them back round again,thats popimatic trouble,oh wait,thats a different story better left for some other time.

the music was really heating up now and everything was happening so fast it was just a blur to me,
when suddenly something went terribly wrong,one of the girls missed a step and caused a pile up in the middle of the floor like i have never seen before,
and there was Carla totally unaware of what was happening so i tried to warn her by yelling out her name but nothing came out,it was like i was frozen in time watching this train wreck of humanity unfold right before my eyes,
i reached out to protect her but she slipped through my fingers and all i could do was watch here being crushed by the mob of ruthless square dancers with the sunlight gently caressing her hair, as I lay on the floor beside her blood soaked body i could feel the heal of somebodys shoe pinching my finger against the floor,please lord i begged,not my finger.but it was to late the damage was done.

the smell of bacon frying filled the air as I opened my eyes,it was all a dream i thought as i quickly jumped out of bed,i got dressed and hurried down stairs for breakfast,as i was walking by the bathroom i could hear the shower running,i stopped for a second and wondered,could that be bobby?,nah,this is my story i thought so i continued on my way,good morning honey i said,good morning dear, my wife replied,
as she was doing her wifely duties of slaving over a hot stove,she then turned to give me a peck on the cheek(because thats what people do when they love you,not everybody hates me you know,) when she stopped dead in here tracks for a moment while staring at my hand,what happened to your finger? she demanded,were you out square dancing again?
oh oh i thought,this cant be good.

Bonnie
02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
:applause:

kyle
02-26-2009, 03:59 AM
you sound very bitter and i'm sorry you have had to endure things in Iraq that have caused you to become that way but you assume i get my information from watching T.V and you couldn't be farther from the truth,,
as far as fighting non Iraqi's? that information has been out for a long time now and if you want to know who is footing the bill just look to IRAN,
i dont dispute that a lot of positive change has occurred in Iraq all i'm saying is it wont last,,heck half the people there hate the other half of the people and as soon as the majority of the troops are gone they will start killing each other and it will all be fueled by Iran,

you know the only thing that got me up set was when you replied to Nate and said "exactly what was won in Iraq?" Now I As well as many soldier and vets and even a lot of Americans take offense to that. The reason is all the hard work and lives lost and to me it's disrespectful. i'm sorry but it is. To me it sounds like your saying we lost, or we haven't done any thing to show for it. The number 1 reason why a country loses a war is B/C there is no support back home and the mainstream media will be negative

I've been to Iraq twice and my second tour I was medivac out and now I'm under going ALL kinds of treatment for TBI. If you told me we should have never gone in to Iraq I respect your opinion thats fine, i may disagree but i still respect it. I think it's time to leave Iraq to thats why they been downsizing for awhile now. You said half the people hate the other half and the other half will kill each other.,,,,HA thats funny B/C they have been doing that for hundreds of yrs and will probably always will....They just refuse to except the other person for who they are and what religion they are so they will kill each other.

bradwright
02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
you know the only thing that got me up set was when you replied to Nate and said "exactly what was won in Iraq?" Now I As well as many soldier and vets and even a lot of Americans take offense to that. The reason is all the hard work and lives lost and to me it's disrespectful. i'm sorry but it is. To me it sounds like your saying we lost, or we haven't done any thing to show for it. The number 1 reason why a country loses a war is B/C there is no support back home and the mainstream media will be negative

I've been to Iraq twice and my second tour I was medivac out and now I'm under going ALL kinds of treatment for TBI. If you told me we should have never gone in to Iraq I respect your opinion thats fine, i may disagree but i still respect it. I think it's time to leave Iraq to thats why they been downsizing for awhile now. You said half the people hate the other half and the other half will kill each other.,,,,HA thats funny B/C they have been doing that for hundreds of yrs and will probably always will....They just refuse to except the other person for who they are and what religion they are so they will kill each other.
Hey Kyle,,sorry if i offended you or anyone else for that matter,,it was never my intent for that to happen,
My question to Nate was a political question and not a logistical one,
but you are right, just asking the question on this forum was wrong on my part and for that i hope you accept my apology,
good luck Kyle, i really do wish you all the best and i hope things turn out well for you.

kyle
02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey Kyle,,sorry if i offended you or anyone else for that matter,,it was never my intent for that to happen,
My question to Nate was a political question and not a logistical one,
but you are right, just asking the question on this forum was wrong on my part and for that i hope you accept my apology,
good luck Kyle, i really do wish you all the best and i hope things turn out well for you.

Well thank you Brad and I myself apologize for coming off bitter like I did. My biggest thing is your either for the war or your not. And I dont care which one your for. I just believe know matter what your oppinion or your political party is you should all ways support the ones that are over there putting it on the line for us. Heck half the soldiers dont want to be there....I know I didnt.....every time I leave, I leave behind my wife and 5 children....thats hard but it's also the job i signed up to do.

2LT Charles Rubado was my tank commander shot and killed on 29AUG2005 by a sniper in Tal Afar Iraq a short time later the same sniper shot down a Kiowa helicopter, killing one soldier and seriously wounding another. I am telling you this because I want to continue to remember the ones that paid the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you again brad for understanding and let there be know hard feelings between us