PDA

View Full Version : Obama announces $400 million for Palestinians

atomdanger
06-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Obama announces $400 million in additional Palestinian aid
By Jordan Fabian - 06/09/10 01:21 PM ET
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/102249-obama-announces-400-million-in-additional-palestinian-aid

President Barack Obama announced Wednesday that the United States will provide an additional $400 million in aid for the Palestinian-controlled West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The additional funds were announced as Obama met with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas at the White House.

In brief remarks, the president called the situation in the blockaded Gaza Strip "unsustainable" and said it was important for both the Israelis and Palestinians to work together to improve the situation there.

"The status quo that we have is one that is inherently unstable, and I think the Israelis have come to recognize that," Obama said.

The president's pledge comes just more than a week after an attempt by a Turkish-based flotilla to break the Israeli blockade of Gaza ended in disaster. Israeli commandos boarded the ships and killed nine pro-Palestinian activists aboard and sustained injuries themselves.

Israel claimed the activists aboard the ships first attacked the soldiers with pipes and chairs and that their men were acting in self-defense. Still, the incident touched off a diplomatic crisis for the Jewish state, with several European countries and Turkey condemning its actions.

Obama has reserved judgment on the flotilla attack until an investigation is complete, but in the meantime has pointed to the Gaza blockade as the root problem.

The U.S. funds will help increase access to schools, clean drinking water and housing and are also designed to help create jobs for Palestinians. The U.S. already provides some aid to the Palestinian territories, but the additional funds are designed to ease the effects of the blockade.

Obama has refrained from calling for an end to the blockade, as a few members of Congress have, citing Israel's concern that opening it could allow weapons to get into the hands of terrorists. The Islamic extremist group Hamas controls Gaza; it is on the U.S. State Department's list of foreign terror organizations.

Thoughts? can we afford this?

NateR
06-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Obama = Worst President Ever

NateR
06-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Thoughts?

Well, first of all, the notion that the Palestinians are the victims of Israeli oppression is completely ludicrous. Secondly, the notion that the blockade on Gaza is causing hardship to the Palestinian people is nothing but a lie fabricated by the UN and repeated by the world media outlets.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137965

No matter what the media tells you, the Palestinians are not interested in any sort of peace that requires them to live side by side with Israel. The only peace they are interested in is what would exist after every Jew (and Christian) in the world is exterminated. Anyone who believes otherwise is severely deluded.

This is NOT a culture that is interested in peaceful coexistence with Israel:
http://palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=472&fld_id=473&doc_id=2370

can we afford this?

Can we afford to "bailout" a terrorist organization? Of course not.

flo
06-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Obama = Worst President Ever

I just pray he doesn't irrevocably sink the country while he's mismanaging it.

Bonnie
06-11-2010, 03:49 AM
You know who could use that 400 million? All the people along the southeast coast whose livelihoods are being destroyed by this BP oil spill!

flo
06-11-2010, 03:54 AM
You know who could use that 400 million? All the people along the southeast coast whose livelihoods are being destroyed by this BP oil spill!
Right on, Bonnie. I couldn't think of a better use for that money, now that you mention it.

I can't frickin' BELIEVE he's sending our tax dollars to the Palestinians. Heaven help us.

atomdanger
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM

That was my thought, why not hire a lot of people to clean up oil?
Get something done, and give people jobs.

atomdanger
06-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, first of all, the notion that the Palestinians are the victims of Israeli oppression is completely ludicrous. Secondly, the notion that the blockade on Gaza is causing hardship to the Palestinian people is nothing but a lie fabricated by the UN and repeated by the world media outlets.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137965

No matter what the media tells you, the Palestinians are not interested in any sort of peace that requires them to live side by side with Israel. The only peace they are interested in is what would exist after every Jew (and Christian) in the world is exterminated. Anyone who believes otherwise is severely deluded.

This is NOT a culture that is interested in peaceful coexistence with Israel:
http://palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=472&fld_id=473&doc_id=2370

Can we afford to "bailout" a terrorist organization? Of course not.

Yeah, I just wonder where this money is coming from,
our school system needs money, the oil spill needs cleaned, our police and fire need money,
our state parks need money, our roads need fixed, etc....

and we give them 400 million?

He could employ 200 thousand people at 12 bucks an hour for a month.
Or 50 thousand jobs at that pay for 4 months.
Lets clean up oil.

County Mike
06-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Anyone still believe he's not a muslim? He just might be the sneakiest one of all.

Dethbob
06-11-2010, 12:32 PM
“the president called the situation in the blockaded Gaza Strip "unsustainable"’”

It’s a blockade, moron! The whole point of a blockade is to be unsustainable!

“and said it was important for both the Israelis and Palestinians to work together to improve the situation there.”

The blockade is to force the Palestinians to ‘work together’ instead of mortar bombing Israeli kids.

“the additional funds are designed to ease the effects of the blockade.”

So, we’re siding with the terrorists against our ally, and making sure the bad guys don’t have to negotiate? Aaargh!

Vizion
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Obama = Worst President EverAGREED.

Miss Foxy
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
You have got to me fkn kidding me?!!! I am so enraged!!:muttering::banghead::fighting0023:

Miss Foxy
06-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Very true!! And also our education system in America!! :scared0011:

Twinsmama
06-11-2010, 06:52 PM
I can not imagine a way that he can justify this. I guess he hasn't notice how bad OUR economy is. I wonder if he put that money to good use how many jobs he could create??

Chuck
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Disgraceful.

Dethbob
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
It occurs to me that that 400 million dollars is our money. If he can’t think of anything useful to do with it, maybe he should GIVE IT BACK!

rearnakedchoke
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Disgraceful.

LOL ...

Tyburn
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Thoughts? can we afford this?

:huh: He's done what??

Why is he meeting with the head of a Government we all consider a Terrorist organisation?

notice...also thats ADDITIONAL aid...on top of what they give usually.

I dont understand...how can he be talking to the Palestinain Government...whilst supplying arms to the Israeli Government...whose side is he actually on...its called seige warfare for a reason...its supposed to be unsustainable, its designed to bring down a terrorist organisation...

....well it was.

Forget Palestine...shouldnt Mr Obama be supporting his troops in Iraq...and Afghanistan...and trying to mend relationships with his only true allied force after anti-british sentiment

...but then if thats how he treats his friends...no wonder he sends aid to his other friends enemies....Why doesnt he just send arms to the Palestinians also whilst he's at it.

I am begining to really hate your President...He's not just a dissapointment, and a fraud...he's now swiftly becoming a danger to his own nation...and incidently to all his friends aswell.

Dont you DARE give him a second term :angry:

Tyburn
06-11-2010, 09:24 PM

:cry:I'm so sorry Bonnie. :sad:

I'm sorry that the BP people have spoilled all your sea...and I am sorry that your President would rather give aid to a Terrorist Government, then too his own economically deppressed people :unsure-1:

I dont want to think about all those poor seagulls and fish being poisened :cry: Both BP and Obama should be CREATING paid jobs from all over the South to go clean it up...they should have done this the moment it happened...they need an army of people, on every beach, all the time, across the entire Gulf boarder...at least then those who have lost their way of living still get paid, and they feel actively empowered by trying to turn the tide (pardon the pun) so they can have their true jobs back...

I think 400 million would cover it. :)

Bonnie
06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
:cry:I'm so sorry Bonnie. :sad:

I'm sorry that the BP people have spoilled all your sea...and I am sorry that your President would rather give aid to a Terrorist Government, then too his own economically deppressed people :unsure-1:

I dont want to think about all those poor seagulls and fish being poisened :cry: Both BP and Obama should be CREATING paid jobs from all over the South to go clean it up...they should have done this the moment it happened...they need an army of people, on every beach, all the time, across the entire Gulf boarder...at least then those who have lost their way of living still get paid, and they feel actively empowered by trying to turn the tide (pardon the pun) so they can have their true jobs back...

I think 400 million would cover it. :)

I notice in Tony Hayward's commercial he says "we will cover all "legitimate" claims". I already foresee them backsliding on paying compensation to all those whose livelihoods have been affected by this catastrophic spill. For a lot of the people along the Gulf, this is their biggest time of the year; they depend on what they make during these summer months to carry them through the rest of the year.

Four hundred million might be a drop in the bucket by the time they get those other two wells completed in August. I'm wondering about all that chemical dispersant they poured on and in the Gulf also--the long-term effects. It's hard to believe a word BP says about anything.

And let's not forget the eleven men killed in the explosion and their families.

Right now, I feel strongly about some of this generous charity being given here at home.

Tyburn
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I notice in Tony Hayward's commercial he says "we will cover all "legitimate" claims". I already foresee them backsliding on paying compensation to all those whose livelihoods have been affected by this catastrophic spill. For a lot of the people along the Gulf, this is their biggest time of the year; they depend on what they make during these summer months to carry them through the rest of the year.

Four hundred million might be a drop in the bucket by the time they get those other two wells completed in August. I'm wondering about all that chemical dispersant they poured on and in the Gulf also--the long-term effects. It's hard to believe a word BP says about anything.

And let's not forget the eleven men killed in the explosion and their families.

Right now, I feel strongly about some of this generous charity being given here at home.

I know next to nothing about this oil spill. I heard that the rig sank in an explosian. I think that they should investigate to find out how/what happened in the first place. Secondly, I cant believe BP wouldnt have a protocol for fixing this...I've heard of everything, from trying to cap it and mend it with a patch, to trying to hook up another pipe to a ship, to trying to collapse the sides of the sea bed to fill in the well

The most alarming one ive heard is that they plan to drill a mile beneith the sea bed and detonate a Nuclear Warhead, in the hopes the whole seam will fold in on itself :blink:

I think that Barack Obama has every right to feel angry and upset. But I think that he should have epxressed it differently, because what he doesnt want is for the company to collapse and bring more economic dissolusionment.

I have no idea how much it will take to fix it...all I know Bonnie, is that if I were either one of those men, I would have had whole towns and communities on the beaches, to rescue wildlife, and to try to clear up the oil (not sure how you do that) I would be putting these people into work and diverting ALOT of money their way...and I would expect BP to hold their own also on financing this venture. I would be asking big businesses like Wal-Mart to pledge their support. I would be putting in claims forms to the United Nations for aid funds...because this consitutes a national crisis. I would stop wasting my time on all the foolish money making insurances scams (nicely covered by the words "Health Reform Bill" ) and I would be concentrating on the Gulf. I would be asking those Island Communities that also might be effected to help (minus Cuba...because as an American I would consider them commies :laugh: (sorry couldnt resist :ashamed:))

...and IF I had said what Barack had said (which in his place I never would have...I'm not interested in "kicking ass" i'd be more interesting in "Restoring ecologocial and economicial stability in the Gulf" But if I had said that...then I would have appologised and explained myself, to the American people, and to the British.

I would NOT be pledging extra aid to the enemy of Israel who I have supported for nearly 75 odd years.

I hate to say it Bonnie...coz this kills me...but yesterday there was a big faux pas in France...and President Sarkozy, stood up, and issued to his very long time rivals, an immediate and wholehearted appology, for a situation quite beyond his control, because it had happened in France and it brought much pain to some of the British Nation. (there was a terrible Nazi incursion of a rather famous Cemetary, in which lies, British Royalty (Tree by Dowedger, but never the less) and a number of memorials and graves were desecrated with grafiti and the likes of a germanic reich origin) Sarkozy didnt need to say anything to us...his Government was not responsible...its just one of those things that happen with vandles and the likes...but he did, publically. Contrast how the French have handled a situation that could cause extreme embarrisment due to some problem not of their making...and how the American Administration has created more problems then were there to begin with. The oil slick is bad enough, without harping on, blaming England, or whatever....Whilst Barack Obama is swearing blind he will kick some british butt...American Citizens are hit, once again, and confounded with more financial woe...Really...that is what he should be attending to. He needs to get off the airwaves, get on Airforce One...and he needs to be seen on the oiled beach helpping the locals with aid effort...and really...he should have been seen doing that several months ago when this first happened. He needed to show he was not afraid to get his hands dirty...from an American perspective (and im speaking from a British perspective remember) he isnt their to lead the people...he is there to serve the people...and there are some people in desperate need of service...why is he not helpping them?? )