PDA

View Full Version : City of London turns on Barack Obamas BP hatred

Tyburn
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
:blink:

You have to understand that its vital for the interest of both the US and UK, that British Petrolium gets back to working order ASAP...because it contributes a lot to both economies.

President Obama, however has been personally mean to the head of BP, and his rhetoric, blunt speach, is not endearing him to the British Industrial Sector. Infact today the City of London pretty much responded to Barack Obama...and it wasnt pretty :unsure-1:

Mr John Napier, Head of an Insurance Firm called RSA. He argues that because Mr Obama is not acting like a statesman about the crisis, he is becoming responsible for the dropping shares, which could lead the company into problems...ultimately that would be a huge disastor not just for England, but for America also.

Perhaps Barack Obama should not have said he wanted to know "whose ass to kick" Thats not language that he should say in public about an influential company that helps his economy and is based in his greatest allied forces company. YES, its a disastor effectively of British cause...but the letter writer has a point about the financial difficulties placed on the world after what primarily began as an American Disastor.

For such a public speaker like Obama, to have said something like that...doesnt make him look defiant...it makes him look arrogant and doesnt help the perception of America in other parts of the world...he really is doing you a dis-service in his Foreign Affaires relationship with allied Nations. :mellow:

Tyburn
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Full Letter

Dear President Obama,

Please forgive this open letter but your comments towards BP and its CEO as reported here are coming across as somewhat prejudicial and personal.

There is no doubt that BP, as a UK PLC, is totally committed to do everything possible to contain the oil leak and meet all its obligations in the USA.

The existing CEO is the best person to deliver that effort and has made that personal commitment and made himself available in the USA.

In your words, "he has taken the heat" and not hidden in his office. The real response has been total. You could argue a poor PR performance, but BP are not alone in that.

There is a sense here that these attacks are being made because BP is British.

If you compare the damage inflicted on the economies of the western world by polluted securities from the irresponsible, unchecked greed and avarice of leading USA international banks, there has not been the same personalised response in or from countries beyond the US.

Perhaps a case of double standards? Deep sea oil exploration was pushed forward as part of a USA oil security strategy as have a number of foreign policy initiatives in key areas in the world where we are standing shoulder to shoulder.

Whilst we all recognise the seriousness of the situation there is a need to put some balance back into the situation.

Many of us applauded your promise of a new approach to politics, USA foreign policy and world leadership.

Both you and the CEO of BP are caught up in the resolution of issues dealing with the emerging risks of strategies that you did not necessarily determine.

The immediate issues are very challenging but are best solved working together in a more Statesman like way.

The leak may take time to fix, and it will be, but Afghanistan and Iraq will take much longer.

We can all agree that the first and absolute priority is to stem the leak. Perhaps the second one is to ensure the reputation of the Presidency outside the USA is seen as objective, balanced, able and capable of taking the heat when under pressure.

We liked the Obama we saw at your election, can we have more of it please.

Yours sincerely,

John Napier

Dethbob
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Full Letter

We liked the Obama we saw at your election, can we have more of it please.

Well... sorry, but that was just the display model, not available to consumers.

Tyburn
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM

:laugh: I cant believe the businessman wrote that :laugh:

But it prompted a swift response from the Administration who got incontact with the British Government and assured them that the BP oil disastor will not effect US/UK relationships

:laugh:

Lets face it though...Barack Obama has just given him the excuse to make a public statement that he's obviously wanted to say for maybe a few years...I read that and I understand what he means...but equally...I wouldnt have said it...why?

Because actually I think BP DO have a lot to answer for...I mean how long does it really take to cap an oil well. Months isnt good enough....also he said far to much about everything else...Why mention Wallstreet, Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Presidential vote...I think that was...quite honnestly just anti-american sentiment...afterall...Barack Obama has nothing to do with three out of four.

I can see this from both sides...and I think everyone has acted slightly above themselves, BP should have fixed this sooner, Barack Obama should not have said what he did, and John Napier should not have mentioned the war.

:)

adamt
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
i'd like to see B.O. kick his own ass, that's whose ass needs kicking

Tyburn
06-10-2010, 09:13 PM

As The Present Prime Minister, David Cameron, once said as leader of the Opposition, to the Then Prime Minister Gordon Brown. "Administration is what your Government is in at the moment, Liquidation is what will happen by the British People at the next General Ellection"

:laugh:

He was right :ninja:

BamaGrits84
06-10-2010, 09:19 PM

I'd like to see someone rip Pelosi's arm off and beat Obama with it. But I just don't like them - it's not just the oil spill.

I'm from a Gulf State and am sad that we had to cancel our beach vacation for a trip to Atlanta. My uncle lves in Florida and is a master diver and has was planning on taking my oldest son on his first dive this summer. Instead he told me last week he may be too old to dive before the water is safe enough for them to even going driving again. Now he's not one to jump the gun so I knew when he said that it is really serious. I'm pissed BP didn't use better safety percautions and I think they should have to answer to investors and the people effected by the spill. I think they should be 100% responsible for the cost. But in the end I'd much rather my oil come from BP that neglectfully, though not intention caused this mess, than some middle eastern company that funds terrorist. So as ticked as I am over the oil spill I'll still be stopping at the BP near my house to fill up my tank.

atomdanger
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Wasn't BP his largest campaign contributor?

"Obama received nearly $750 million in campaign contributions"

Guess they won't be backing him for re election.

NateR
06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't you Brits understand it yet? Obama only bows and scrapes to terrorists and tyrannical world leaders. If you've been a strong American ally for over 100 years and have fought and bled alongside our countrymen on the battlefield, then Obama doesn't care about you. Try re-imagining yourselves as an Islamic terrorist organization and then maybe Obama will start giving you some respect.

NateR
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM

:laugh::laugh: Great reply!!

Tyburn
06-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't you Brits understand it yet?

We Brits dont stand for it.

Look at what one letter from a businessman did.

Within the day, reaffirmation from the American Government on an International level.

its called being called to account :laugh:

Jonlion
06-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Don't you Brits understand it yet? Obama only bows and scrapes to terrorists and tyrannical world leaders. If you've been a strong American ally for over 100 years and have fought and bled alongside our countrymen on the battlefield, then Obama doesn't care about you. Try re-imagining yourselves as an Islamic terrorist organization and then maybe Obama will start giving you some respect.

The whole thing really upsets me.

Sure BP must be held to account but lets sort the problem out first. Plus BP is as American as it is British. TransOcean actually run that rig. Hey BP have made many respects but All of Obama's outbursts help no one and is a cheap political move, which I find really sad.

However our politicians are struggaling after they criticised all things American when Kraft took over Cadbury, which showed their idiocy.

I just hope this issue is resolved soon and much more amicably, Obama is meant to be smart and long term planner.

Jonlion
06-11-2010, 06:59 AM
We Brits dont stand for it.

Look at what one letter from a businessman did.

Within the day, reaffirmation from the American Government on an International level.

its called being called to account :laugh:

What are you talking about - it has taking us weeks to stick up for our Industry. David Cameron and the rest of them have been slow to respond whilst of of Obama's posturing has wiped $40 billion off the Shareholding.

cubsfan47
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
The whole thing really upsets me.

Sure BP must be held to account but lets sort the problem out first. Plus BP is as American as it is British. TransOcean actually run that rig. Hey BP have made many respects but All of Obama's outbursts help no one and is a cheap political move, which I find really sad.

However our politicians are struggaling after they criticised all things American when Kraft took over Cadbury, which showed their idiocy.

I just hope this issue is resolved soon and much more amicably, Obama is meant to be smart and long term planner.

We are saddened too; this wasn't the first cheap political move from Obama and it won't be the last.

Long term? Most of his actions have been short sighted if you ask me. However, we do have the opportunity to shorten Obama's term to four years.:angry:

Kraft is a well run company, and so was Cadbury. I think they will continue to make good products. i just bought some Kraft stock on the recent downswing.:)

But think about how U.S. beer drinkers must feel: first Molson buys Coors and then InBev bought Budweiser. :cry::cry::cry:

And our politicians haven't said a word.:angry:

Tyburn
06-13-2010, 03:45 PM
What are you talking about - it has taking us weeks to stick up for our Industry. David Cameron and the rest of them have been slow to respond whilst of of Obama's posturing has wiped $40 billion off the Shareholding.

Jon, these posturings are all from last week...before then we didnt need to stick up for an industry that had made a BIG mistake. We dont want to be seen legitamizing a crisis, that happened prior to the General Ellection, so dont go saying our administration has been slow. Try and keep up to date

The story goes like this, big explosion on BP Rig, Men killed, Rig sinks, oil leaks into the ocean. Attempts to stop oil fail, USA Administration goes into Health Care Reform, Israel and England get embroliled in death at Dubai, England goes into General Ellection, Southern States start screaming about Immigration, Oil continues to leak, Off goes Icelandic Volcano which paralyses Europe for a week or three, Obama comes under criticism for not doing anything about oil leak as oil begins to make landfall in southern states, David Cameron begins big budgit slash, gunman goes mad in cumbria, Israel and Turkey fall out over aid ship to palestine, Barack Obama starts to get mouthy over oil crisis, David Cameron goes off to Afghanistan, BP shares fall dramatically, London Businessmen begin public humiliation of Barack Obama in press. Present day :laugh:

David Cameron wasnt in the country, he hasnt really been given much of a chance to say anything, he was in Afghanistan last week, trying to get to the front lines, but being dissalowed because of threats to his aircrafts safety.

You didnt find the Prime Minister commenting on Cadbury being taken over by Kraft did you?? Thats the thing...people in britain may have noticed, the press might have launched a tyraid...but noone in Government swore to "kick ass" over an American Cadbury on British soil did they...sorry...but you fail to grasp the comparison :laugh:

Neezar
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
You didnt find the Prime Minister commenting on Cadbury being taken over by Kraft did you?? Thats the thing...people in britain may have noticed, the press might have launched a tyraid...but noone in Government swore to "kick ass" over an American Cadbury on British soil did they...sorry...but you fail to grasp the comparison :laugh:

Tyburn
06-13-2010, 05:09 PM

I know...I crack myself up sometimes :laugh:

Tyburn
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQ6zYAhBnI

I mentioned this subject in my weekly blog too :ninja:

rearnakedchoke
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
screw BP .. these morons have screwed this up from the start ... and it has taken way too long for them to even get it under control ... but what do they care, it isn't in their backyard ....

Tyburn
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
screw BP .. these morons have screwed this up from the start ... and it has taken way too long for them to even get it under control ... but what do they care, it isn't in their backyard ....

Actually it is. The problem is that as an Oil Giant, they are in part contributing and proping up both the British and American...and maybe even Canadian (I dont know) Economy.

If they were to collapse because of Barack Obama, then in the end, despite them having caused a terrible blunder, both The USA and England (and maybe Canada) will suffer the effects of, effectively, a loss of income. Its not in anyones interest to make a dire situation (and it is dire, I make no mistake about that) worse.

que
06-15-2010, 10:26 PM
obama is right... he needs to kick BP's ass.

damn, if i was powerful enough i would kick BP's ass myself!

but not before i put them in a triangle, then let them back up and open hand slap them in the face, then uppercut to the jaw and spinning crescent kick to the side of the head, then three consecutive knees to the groin

flo
06-16-2010, 01:17 AM
obama is right... he needs to kick BP's ass.

damn, if i was powerful enough i would kick BP's ass myself!

but not before i put them in a triangle, then let them back up and open hand slap them in the face, then uppercut to the jaw and spinning crescent kick to the side of the head, then three consecutive knees to the groin
Don't forget the eye gouge...

:ninja:

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 03:56 AM

I honestly think BP and the President failed to grasp from the get-go the enormous domino effect and catastrophic consequences of this oil spill. I think the President was initially thinking this is BP's problem.... And BP was, I'm sure, immediately thinking about how they were going to get that well capped, but not out of any concern for what that oil would do if it came on shore, but because of the money they were losing. If both BP and the President would have truly listened up front to what the people down in Louisiana were trying to tell them, things might not be as horrific as what we're seeing now and the tab for BP wouldn't be growing daily like the national debt.

And as usual, Congress is wasting time and money having yet another useless hearing just so those blowhards up there can hear the sound of their own voices.

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Actually it is. The problem is that as an Oil Giant, they are in part contributing and proping up both the British and American...and maybe even Canadian (I dont know) Economy.

If they were to collapse because of Barack Obama, then in the end, despite them having caused a terrible blunder, both The USA and England (and maybe Canada) will suffer the effects of, effectively, a loss of income. Its not in anyones interest to make a dire situation (and it is dire, I make no mistake about that) worse.

Exactly. Unfortunately, they can never pay back what their greed cost the families of those 11 men, but they can see to it that those families are taken care of monetarily. The same for the people of Louisiana and the other states effected along the Gulf coast.

Neezar
06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
We won't ever see those beaches clean again in our lifetimes. :cry:

Tyburn
06-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Exactly. Unfortunately, they can never pay back what their greed cost the families of those 11 men, but they can see to it that those families are taken care of monetarily. The same for the people of Louisiana and the other states effected along the Gulf coast.

The Administration is saying that the explosion may have been caused by a poor standards record of health and safety...I think you find it was an American Company that it was effectively sub-let to.

I am quite astonished that Barack Obama is doing nothing about Transocean Ltd...they apparently Owned it...if you look back in the news, you find when there was the original explosion and sinking of the Rig, the only company named was Transocean...but once oil began pumping into the sea, that morphed into BP...and its like a vice versa.

Until Barack Obama at least has the honnesty to lay sanctions on Transocean aswell, I shall have absolutely no time for him. Over the past few weeks and months, he's been absent when he should have been present on those beaches, he's given vast sums of money to the enemies of Israel rather then his own coastal population, He's twisted facts in a four month to late presentation to the American People, He'll use this to define his own agenda for the rest of his Term in Office, He insults my Country (one the few friends he has that are not just paying him lip service) He damages, not only his economy, but mine, this stemming from his Country for the second time in the same decade (It was announced that now BP are doing this american fund, the money from that will be taken away from the pension stakes of Seniors. Effectively, the money thats going to repay these states (who should have organised LONG ago, whole communities on the beaches to clear and be payed and thus need no compensation because they will still be earning) are being taken from the invested life savings of millions of British Seniors (thanks to the British Governments investments for pensions, being with a company the U.S President is now hell bent on distroying) When BP Collapses, he will soon find how they have nearly double the Americans to British working for them...and pay almost double in tax to the American enconomy...which will lose that subsidy and end up with higher unemployment...and thats the "Change" he wants to see is it?

David Cameron has also lost points in my good books. Telephone calls to Barack Obama are not good enough. He, rather then the Deputy Prime Minister...should have said the moment he came back from Afghanistan, that Barack Obama is out of order, and probably well out of control...and those Senators in Congress should keep silence, they dont have the authority or jurisdiction to demand that the CEO of a foreign (to them) company resign.

Still at least the future looks good for that poor chap who the Americans are trying to extradite...the hacker guy, whose name I forget...its one Treaty our Government has said it plans to rectify...I imagine there will be a few more if Barack Obama doesnt start tending to his own flock, rather then insulting the few friends he has left in this world.

bradwright
06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The Administration is saying that the explosion may have been caused by a poor standards record of health and safety...I think you find it was an American Company that it was effectively sub-let to.

I am quite astonished that Barack Obama is doing nothing about Transocean Ltd...they apparently Owned it...if you look back in the news, you find when there was the original explosion and sinking of the Rig, the only company named was Transocean...but once oil began pumping into the sea, that morphed into BP...and its like a vice versa.

Until Barack Obama at least has the honnesty to lay sanctions on Transocean aswell, I shall have absolutely no time for him. Over the past few weeks and months, he's been absent when he should have been present on those beaches, he's given vast sums of money to the enemies of Israel rather then his own coastal population, He's twisted facts in a four month to late presentation to the American People, He'll use this to define his own agenda for the rest of his Term in Office, He insults my Country (one the few friends he has that are not just paying him lip service) He damages, not only his economy, but mine, this stemming from his Country for the second time in the same decade (It was announced that now BP are doing this american fund, the money from that will be taken away from the pension stakes of Seniors. Effectively, the money thats going to repay these states (who should have organised LONG ago, whole communities on the beaches to clear and be payed and thus need no compensation because they will still be earning) are being taken from the invested life savings of millions of British Seniors (thanks to the British Governments investments for pensions, being with a company the U.S President is now hell bent on distroying) When BP Collapses, he will soon find how they have nearly double the Americans to British working for them...and pay almost double in tax to the American enconomy...which will lose that subsidy and end up with higher unemployment...and thats the "Change" he wants to see is it?

David Cameron has also lost points in my good books. Telephone calls to Barack Obama are not good enough. He, rather then the Deputy Prime Minister...should have said the moment he came back from Afghanistan, that Barack Obama is out of order, and probably well out of control...and those Senators in Congress should keep silence, they dont have the authority or jurisdiction to demand that the CEO of a foreign (to them) company resign.

Still at least the future looks good for that poor chap who the Americans are trying to extradite...the hacker guy, whose name I forget...its one Treaty our Government has said it plans to rectify...I imagine there will be a few more if Barack Obama doesnt start tending to his own flock, rather then insulting the few friends he has left in this world.

Obama isn't destroying BP......BP is destroying BP.
BP called all the shots on that oil Rig and in turn are the only ones responsible for the disaster,so if you are really looking for someone to blame about BPs financial problems then try looking a little closer to home.

Tyburn
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Obama isn't destroying BP......BP is destroying BP.
BP called all the shots on that oil Rig and in turn are the only ones responsible for the disaster,so if you are really looking for someone to blame about BPs financial problems then try looking a little closer to home.

actually, he is. BP Liscensed the rig, but Transocean owned it. BPs Financial problems arent due to the oil leak, they are due to the share price dropping thanks, solely, to the US President, and his unstatesmanship.

You know...rather then screaming at BP why wasnt he helping clean up the beaches weeks ago...rather then forcing BP to pay a compensation fund why wasnt he spending the 400Million Dollars he had spare on his own communities rather then Palestine (as compensation for Israels perfectly acceptable action) Why isnt Transocean being held accountable also??

Can anyone actually answer any of those questions? I mean in all seriousness?

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
actually, he is. BP Liscensed the rig, but Transocean owned it. BPs Financial problems arent due to the oil leak, they are due to the share price dropping thanks, solely, to the US President, and his unstatesmanship.

You know...rather then screaming at BP why wasnt he helping clean up the beaches weeks ago...rather then forcing BP to pay a compensation fund why wasnt he spending the 400Million Dollars he had spare on his own communities rather then Palestine (as compensation for Israels perfectly acceptable action) Why isnt Transocean being held accountable also??

Can anyone actually answer any of those questions? I mean in all seriousness?

Brad did answer you. BP was calling the shots on that rig not Transocean. From what I understand there was an argument that morning between the Transocean guys and BP about the mud procedure. The BP guy wanted to stop the mud and put salt water down the well. Transocean argued they didn't think they should do that at that point, but the BP guy said that's what we're doing. They think that's what caused the blowout and explosion. That's what they reported early on. Instead of doing things right, BP wanted to take short-cuts to get faster results.

I don't think anything Barack Obama is saying is causing BP's shares to drop. I think the magnitude of their liability is sinking in and that's causing their shares to drop.

Tyburn
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't think anything Barack Obama is saying is causing BP's shares to drop. I think the magnitude of their liability is sinking in and that's causing their shares to drop.

So the billions that dissapeared the same day Obama vowed to "kick ass" is a major cooincidence then :laugh:

How Sincere can a man be about restoring financial and ecological stability to a region, when the week before he gave 400 Million Dollars to whats effectively a Terrorist Government???

Its outrageous Bonnie. BP are a company, at the end of the day they will only care about profit and themselves, ALL companies, American and British are the same...WTF is Barack Obamas excuse? Because over the course of the last twelve months anyone would think HE we CEO of a "Company" rather then a Government.

He's making millions off a bogus Health Reform, which includes ammendments to Student Loans for heavens sake! He pretty much ignored this oil problem for MONTHS...the Rig Sank back in April...its now nearly July. Do you think he cares or is he just trying to boost his own popularity.

At Least BP ARE trying to cap the well, and ARE paying compensation...What, other then shout about it, is Barack Obama doing? I mean what is he contributing? Heaven Forbid it be another bogus reform :unsure-1: I mean REALLY...comparing an accident to the Worlds worst Terrorist attack, Speaking in a manner which IMHO is casting his office into disrepute, its not what you expect from a President...

How can you take him seriously, or believe a word he says? If he cares so much why is the 400 Millions pounds not in Alabama, or Texas, or Florida?? WHY is it in Palestine.

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm not defending B.O., Dave. They need to all roll up their sleeves and work together to cap that well, clean up that mess, help the people who lost loved ones, and the people whose way of life has been interrupted for who knows how long.

I don't want to see BP go under, but they are responsible and they need to pay whatever it costs to make this right (if that's even possible).

And, I don't agree with our government sending $$$ aid to Palestine.

Tyburn
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not defending B.O., Dave. They need to all roll up their sleeves and work together to cap that well, clean up that mess, help the people who lost loved ones, and the people whose way of life has been interrupted for who knows how long.

I don't want to see BP go under, but they are responsible and they need to pay whatever it costs to make this right (if that's even possible).

And, I don't agree with our government sending $$$ aid to Palestine.

:w00t: then in a round about way...we aggree dont we :happydancing:

BP have set up this fund as asked by your Government...I assume it will cover costs...I think once the oil stops leaking, the shares will stop dropping...then hopefully the hard work of cleaning up can be done by all.

I really do wish they had somehow set a scheme of work up for those whose livelihoods are on the line, to work together to return the area to what it was. Noone wants to clear it up...but if they cant do their jobs until the sea is clear, they may aswell get paid for helping to turn back the tides so to speak, then they can have their lives back.

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
:w00t: then in a round about way...we aggree dont we :happydancing:

BP have set up this fund as asked by your Government...I assume it will cover costs...I think once the oil stops leaking, the shares will stop dropping...then hopefully the hard work of cleaning up can be done by all.

I really do wish they had somehow set a scheme of work up for those whose livelihoods are on the line, to work together to return the area to what it was. Noone wants to clear it up...but if they cant do their jobs until the sea is clear, they may aswell get paid for helping to turn back the tides so to speak, then they can have their lives back.

That's what the locals down there have been begging BP to let them do...."put them to work"! They may be using some fishermen now, but I don't know that they (BP) are doing enough of that yet.

Tyburn
06-18-2010, 09:45 PM
That's what the locals down there have been begging BP to let them do...."put them to work"! They may be using some fishermen now, but I don't know that they (BP) are doing enough of that yet.

I think they should do that. I think BP being an oil company oughta have peeps to do clean up anyway...I mean they must have had accidents before...but I do think whole communities on the beach, from dawn to dusk,...

...you will soon see the best in mankind if that happens...everyone working together, then GOD will surely bless their work, and restore everything. If BP are too afraid, or dont have the jurisdiction to do that...and the Administration wont organise it...then its time for these communities to set up a forum, like this one...network, and organise it for themselves, get a workable model and then present it to the Government and BP for funding....ohh...and go to the press if either one of those parties says "no" :ninja: dont give either of them a place to hide :ninja:

Gosh...almost makes me wanna plan a trip and go myself :ashamed: I would help the poor animals...you know, the ones GOD told us to look after... :cry:

Bonnie
06-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey, Dave, I was just watching the news and they mentioned one of the things that happened at the hearings yesterday with Tony Hayward that ruffled a lot of feathers. A U.S. Representative, Republican Joe Barton from Texas, actually apologized :blink: to Tony Hayward for what the President did in forcing BP to commit to that $20 billion payment plan; apparently called it a "shakedown". :blink:

This Barton is a ranking member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and reportedly has been a top recipient of oil industry funds since 1990. Explains a lot. :wink: Pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended)!

Tyburn
06-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey, Dave, I was just watching the news and they mentioned one of the things that happened at the hearings yesterday with Tony Hayward that ruffled a lot of feathers. A U.S. Representative, Republican Joe Barton from Texas, actually apologized :blink: to Tony Hayward for what the President did in forcing BP to commit to that $20 billion payment plan; apparently called it a "shakedown". :blink:

This Barton is a ranking member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and reportedly has been a top recipient of oil industry funds since 1990. Explains a lot. :wink: Pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended)!

:laugh: He's probably a shareholder, or someone on the US side that gets dividends paid to them (BP have said NO Dividends this year, coz they cant afford it on top of the livelihood fund) The Senator is probably sorry he wont get as much as he thought from them.

You know...I dont think its wrong of Obama to make them pay a substantial ammount of money. I think that The Americans, and several others should also contribute...but I do think BP HAVE to pay something...if the Shares had held high, they would have easily been able to afford it.

I havent got a problem with forcing a multibillion pound company that takes safety shortcuts into paying compensation and organising clean up. What I object to (in terms of BP) is the week of verbal attacks that Barack Obama made which caused shares to fall so greatly the BP are in danger financially...and thats not because I like BP...its because I recognise both our Economies need the money they create.