PDA

View Full Version : Helen Thomas resigns over controversial statements

J.B.
06-08-2010, 12:31 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2010/06/07/thomas-helen-getty-cp83664034.jpg

I typically don't like to laugh at the expense of Senior Citizens unless I'm on one of my soapboxes about the sleazy geriatric fight promoter, Bob Arum. However, I have to admit that I smiled a little bit today when I read the news of Helen Thomas's retirement after putting her foot in her mouth, yet again.

When asked in an interview last week about her feeling on the current situation with Israel, she had this to say...

"Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine... Remember, these people are occupied, and it's their land."

She was then asked where the Israelis should go, to which she replied

"they should go home" to "Poland, Germany,... America and everywhere else."

:rolleyes:

Tell us how you REALLY feel Helen... :laugh:

Well, instead of doing that, she actually then issued this statement.

I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians. They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon.

PFFFT...YEAH RIGHT. :wacko:

You don't make the first statement she made when you are 90 years old and have been one of the most successful members of the press most of your life unless you actually believe what you are saying. Sorry, am I supposed to believe that she hasn't made her mind up on this topic a LONG time ago? This is just the inner liberal shining through. She may have been caught off guard, or spoke too quickly without running the statement through the BS filter, but I am certainly not gonna buy it when she tries to say that's not what she really thinks. Hell, just admit it Helen, nobody cares anyway. If I were 90 years old I wouldn't be worried about making fake apologies for what I actually believe, that's for sure.

Enjoy your retirement Helen. Most people do it when they are 65. :)

NateR
06-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Goodbye, Wicked Witch of the East, we won't miss you.

It's always nice when these "respected journalists" reveal themselves for the Liberal fools that they are late in life and are forced to retire in disgrace. I hope she has fun hanging out with Dan Rather. :laugh:

flo
06-08-2010, 02:19 AM
It's always nice when these "respected journalists" reveal themselves for the Liberal fools that they are late in life and are forced to retire in disgrace. I hope she has fun hanging out with Dan Rather. :laugh:
Yes, that "apology" was nothing but lip service to those who objected to her comments (among them, her employer). After all, she just let the mask slip, we know that liberal academia also spout the same and worse.

Have to say I loved the Drudge headline ~

Helen sent to Poland

Buh bye.

Bonnie
06-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Liberal or not, I think it's sad she went out like this. :wink: I do think she meant what she said. I wikied her and it said her parents were originally from Lebanon so I imagine that could influence her thoughts regarding Palestine and Israel.

County Mike
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I would respect her more if her final words were

"I'm 90 years old so you can SUCK IT!"

VCURamFan
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Crazy old bat. Funny thing is, she looks jewish to me! :Whistle:

County Mike
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
To me, she looks like she should be handing an apple to Snow White.

Bonnie
06-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I wonder why noses and ears always seem to get longer and larger as people age. :blink:

As to her inappropriate comments, it could definitely be an age thing. I saw a study they did about the elderly and their tendency to make rude or inappropriate comments.

"Inhibitory deficits in the brain associated with aging may explain why older adults often sound off inappropriately..."

Or, it could be just her. :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM
To me, she looks like she should be handing an apple to Snow White.

Yeah, that or Yubaba ...

VCURamFan
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I wonder why noses and ears always seem to get longer and larger as people age. :blink:

As to her inappropriate comments, it could definitely be an age thing. I saw a study they did about the elderly and their tendency to make rude or inappropriate comments.

"Inhibitory deficits in the brain associated with aging may explain why older adults often sound off inappropriately..."

Or, it could be just her. :laugh:
Right. This is what sh'es always thought, but now that she's older, the mask is slipping.

NateR
06-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Right. This is what sh'es always thought, but now that she's older, the mask is slipping.

Where was she in the years before WW2? I know that there were a lot of Nazi supporters in the US just before the war, so I wonder if she was a part of that whole Hitler Youth program.

Bonnie
06-09-2010, 03:21 AM

I agree, I definitely think that is what and how she really feels. I was just saying maybe her age has something to do with her "inability" to hold her tongue any longer.

J.B.
06-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Helen Thomas's fifteen minutes were up during the Lincoln administration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVVOtEDkqo

:laugh:

flo
06-09-2010, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVVOtEDkqo

I remember that from when it first aired, JB, but sure enjoyed watching it again! :laugh::laugh:

I LOVE Bernie.

O'Reilly, not so much...

J.B.
06-09-2010, 04:06 AM
I remember that from when it first aired, JB, but sure enjoyed watching it again! :laugh::laugh:

I LOVE Bernie.

O'Reilly, not so much...

I remembered it too, lol

I have always liked Bill and enjoyed his books, and I used to watch his show every day for a long time. The last year though I barely watch TV at all unless it's a game or a fight. I seriously don't think I have even watched any Cable news channels in many months, outside of some news clips online that is.

flo
06-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I remembered it too, lol

I have always liked Bill and enjoyed his books, and I used to watch his show every day for a long time. The last year though I barely watch TV at all unless it's a game or a fight. I seriously don't think I have even watched any Cable news channels in many months, outside of some news clips online that is.

I think we have all his books but his most recent one. I usually catch his show but he drives me crazy, he's so arrogant and such a loud mouthed know-it-all. I think his heart is in the right place and he has some good guests. But, in my opinion, Rush nailed it when he referred to him as Ted Baxter (for those ancient enough to know who that is, lol).

flo
06-09-2010, 05:07 AM
I always try to watch Special Report as I'm a huge Chls. Krauthammer fan, also try not to miss Red Eye.

J.B.
06-09-2010, 05:42 AM
I think we have all his books but his most recent one. I usually catch his show but he drives me crazy, he's so arrogant and such a loud mouthed know-it-all. I think his heart is in the right place and he has some good guests. But, in my opinion, Rush nailed it when he referred to him as Ted Baxter (for those ancient enough to know who that is, lol).

I have his latest book on CD. I listened to it when I was on the road, it's more about his life than politics, it's pretty good.

Bill is definitely a type-A personality, but I think he plays it up for the show because it definitely gets ratings. Besides, who doesn't love seeing Bill tear into Barney Frank? :laugh:

There are a number of things I don't agree with him on, but I've always dug his style. Over the years he has done a great job at asking tough questions when others won't, and he has supported some really great causes (Jessica's Law for example).

flo
06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
He was apoplectic with Barney Frank! That was really entertaining (and Frank deserved it, IMO).

Oh, I agree with you, Bill is always a champion for kids and has brought much-needed attention to some of the worst judges currently on the bench. Not to mention he totally supports our military and gives a great deal of his $$ to charity.

Hey, I have an original "The Spin Stops Here" mug; I try to make sure one of the more liberal family members get it when they visit. :Whistle:

Dethbob
06-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, that or Yubaba ...

NAILED it! Same voice and everything! I scrolled back up to the picture just to be sure, and she even has the same crazy makeup. Excellent reference!

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
NAILED it! Same voice and everything! I scrolled back up to the picture just to be sure, and she even has the same crazy makeup. Excellent reference!

haha .. figured only Nate would get that one ... LOL