PDA

View Full Version : commuting to work

Bobby71
05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
So I'm starting a new job in a week. For the first time in my life I will have to make a long commute to work. In the past the longest drive I have ever had to get to work is about 15 min or so. Now with no traffic I will be facing a 30 min drive and with traffic it will be about an hour (I'll be working downtown STL).

So my question is how to make the drive as enjoyable as possible. Any tips are welcome.

Here is what I have done/ planned so far.

1. I have cleaned the inside of my car. I'm talking detailed with car wipes, window wipes, vacuumed, and air freshener.
2. I have a great travel cup with a straw. I'll make sure to have fresh ice water when I leave the house in the morning.
3. I'll make sure to download the newest sherdog radio to mp3 player so I can listen in the car (I don't care for music much).

I leave early so I have plenty of time to get there. That way I wont be stressed about driving fast so I can get there on time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Tyburn
05-31-2010, 12:49 AM
I hope you are happy in your new job. :)

I've never had to commute far to work. I live 5 mins walk from store now, and when I was in London I was 10mins by bus or about a half hour by walking

Bobby71
05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, thank you Tyburn.

Tyburn
05-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Well, thank you Tyburn.

:laugh: your welcome :laugh:

I cant even drive I'm afraid...well I can drive...I just cant pass a test...but it wasnt my fault...I had a really thick driving instructor...we left the test centre, and he said "take the next left" I asked him if he was sure...and he said "yes" so I indicated to turn into the carpark and he bellowed "not that left" and frightened me, so I stalled in the middle of the road.

Then once we were off again, we came towards Five Lane Ends Roundabout in Bradford, one of the worst ever built, and I have to concentrate with gears and lanes, and before we knew it, we were onto the roundabout, and I couldnt for the life of me remember which turning he'd told me to take...so we went round once...then round again, then finally I just picked a turning, and it wasnt the right one :sad:

TexasRN
05-31-2010, 12:11 PM
For longer commutes I like to get books on CD from the library and listen to them while I drive. It makes it go by pretty quickly. Also, getting to work on time is not worth dying over. Relax as much as you can.

~Amy

Dethbob
05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Books on CD or mp3 is a great idea. Mix in some correspondence courses or language tapes once in a while.

Definitely try to relax! But don’t beat yourself up to much if you loose your cool once in a while, a long drive day after day will get to you now and then.

Go easy on the ice water, a long commute gets Very long and there are no restrooms in your car.

That commute will get surprisingly expensive. If you can find someone to vanpool with who will not drive you nuts or make you late all the time, it will help a lot.

Congratulations on the new job!

Dethbob
05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
One other thing, make it a hobby to find and take different routes to work as often as you can. You’ll have to leave a little earlier those days just in case, but for safety and mental health it’s important switch things up, and you never know when your usual route will not be available or safe, for whatever reason.

County Mike
05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
My ride to work is about 40 minutes and close to an hour on the way home (more traffic). XM radio helps because I don't lose the station as I drive the way I would with FM.

What really does it for me is that I have a great job and I really like where I live. As long as I'm happy with those two things, the drive is acceptable.

NateR
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
My drive to work is about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. I listen to a lot of music, so I'll either listen to the radio or put in a CD, most of the time a mix CD that I create in iTunes (usually anything from metal to techno).

I used to listen to the talk radio station on the way to work, but I start work at 10 PM and the only guy on the radio at that time is Michael Savage (http://www.amazon.com/Liberalism-Mental-Disorder-Savage-Solutions/dp/1595550437/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275319723&sr=8-1). While I agree with the guy on a lot of what he says, the topics he discusses always get my blood boiling; so I had to stop listening to him before work.

Bobby71
05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

NateR
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone!

No problem. I guess what I think the most important piece of advice is to always give yourself enough time so that you never feel rushed or the need to break the speed limit (you can break the speed limit if you want, but you should never feel like you have to in order to make it to work on time). I always try to get to work with a minimum of 15-20 minutes before I have to clock in. This gives me the time to grab a coffee and McDonalds (and use their free Wi-Fi) or just walk around the store and chat with some of my co-workers before my shift starts (I work nights at Walmart, in case you were wondering).

TexasRN
05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone!

Well I've been there, done that so I know what you'll be going through. It takes me 25 minutes to get to work right now. I could take a faster route and make it in 15-20 but the traffic that way is bad and there's an intersection that is very unsafe. So I choose to leave earlier and take the longer route which is the back roads through the city and I have almost no traffic. I enjoy that time because it's just me in my car and I can listen to music to psych me up before work and put me in a good mood. It also gives me time to reflect on things before I get home so I can leave work at work.

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
05-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a fairly short, 15ish minute drive mostly through residential streets. Here's what I did on the drive last week:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/user/StewartAnnoyances#p/u/9/wjrqo_LdWWU

Play The Man
05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I would make sure you have emergency supplies in your trunk. A kit for car breakdown - flashlight, flares, safety triangle, antifreeze, oil, etc. A kit for winter - sleeping bag, food, shovel, etc. I would consider having a work "bug out" bag - a small backpack in the trunk with supplies - food, knife, canteen, flashlight, change of clothes, etc, in case something bad goes down while you are at work (thinking of 9/11, L.A. riots, etc.). Carry a cell phone and get a back-up charger (solar, battery-powered, etc.) for it in case it needs charging. Never drive through a bad neighborhood, even if it saves times; if your car breaks down, you are a dead man.

Tyburn
05-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I would make sure you have emergency supplies in your trunk. A kit for car breakdown - flashlight, flares, safety triangle, antifreeze, oil, etc. A kit for winter - sleeping bag, food, shovel, etc. I would consider having a work "bug out" bag - a small backpack in the trunk with supplies - food, knife, canteen, flashlight, change of clothes, etc, in case something bad goes down while you are at work (thinking of 9/11, L.A. riots, etc.). Carry a cell phone and get a back-up charger (solar, battery-powered, etc.) for it in case it needs charging. Never drive through a bad neighborhood, even if it saves times; if your car breaks down, you are a dead man.

...and maps and a compass :)