PDA

View Full Version : Arizona, a rogue state at war

Spiritwalker
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Discuss....

I am seriously ticked at this...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/27/navarrette.arizona.rogue.state/index.html?hpt=T2

Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a member of the San Diego Union-Tribune editorial board, a nationally syndicated columnist and a regular contributor to CNN.com.

San Diego, California (CNN) -- Don't be surprised if, any day now, you read that the People's Republic of Arizona is in the market for nuclear warheads to put an end, once and for all, to illegal immigration on its southern border. After all, it's the next logical step for the rogue state.

This week, to advance the narrative that Arizona has no choice but to do its own immigration enforcement because the federal government is asleep at the switch, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer called for air support. Brewer requested helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles from the White House to patrol the border region with Mexico.

In a letter to President Obama, Brewer asked that the National Guard reallocate reconnaissance helicopters and robotic surveillance craft to the "border states" to prevent illegal immigration. The governor also requested the deployment of unmanned drones, including possibly the Predator drones used in Iraq and Afghanistan. In fact, in her letter, Brewer even mentioned those foreign wars as examples of where the drones have been effective.

What's the matter with Arizona? Isn't it a little early in the year for the folks in the desert to be suffering from sunstroke?

I guess this is par for the course. Brewer just signed SB 1070, a disgraceful anti-immigration and pro-racial-profiling law, to give local and state cops throughout the state the chance to suit up and play border patrol agent. Why shouldn't she get the chance to suit up and play general?

After all, like the United States, Arizona is currently involved in two wars. There's the hypocritical war against the very illegal immigrants that the state has spent the past 15 years providing with gainful employment by allowing them to do jobs that Arizonans wouldn't do. And then there's the rhetorical war with the Obama administration, which Arizona wants to portray as negligent in stopping illegal immigration, which forced Arizonans to take matters into their own hands.

The argument that the federal government isn't actively engaged in border enforcement is both dishonest and reckless.

It is dishonest because it's not true. I've visited the U.S.-Mexico border a dozen times in the past 10 years: in Texas, Arizona and California. I've interviewed countless border patrol agents and supervisors. I've also been up in a Border Patrol helicopter flying above the border, which offers a unique perspective on border security.

So I can tell you what the border patrol agents on the ground would tell you: The U.S.-Mexico border has never been more fortified. There are now more than 20,000 border patrol agents on the federal payroll. That's more agents than any other federal enforcement agency, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Those agents apprehend people and deport them at a feverish clip. In fact, it was recently announced that the Obama administration deported more people last year than the Bush administration during its final year in office.

It is reckless because -- when this law is hauled before a federal judge, as it will be -- opponents will argue that the measure violates the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution by usurping federal authority to enforce immigration law. And that's the very thing that proponents seem to be admitting in their bravado. In fact, it might not be a bad idea for Arizona officials to pipe down and stop bragging about how they're doing the job of the federal government in terms of immigration enforcement, since that's a no-no under the Constitution.

If the federal government does take border enforcement seriously, critics might ask: Why are there still people trying to enter the United States illegally? Simple. We can dig a moat, deploy an army, build walls or call in an airstrike, but desperate people will always find a way to go around, under or over any impediment in their path to a better life.

This isn't to condone illegal immigration. My views -- in support of deportations, workplace raids, giving more resources to the Border Patrol etc. -- are well known. I'm just telling you what Border Patrol agents tell me: that it doesn't make any sense to focus all our attention at the border while turning a blind eye to employers in the interior. That's like trying to fill a bucket with teaspoons of water without first plugging the hole at the bottom.

Now Obama has fallen into that same trap. He is reportedly ready to announce that he is sending 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to help control illegal immigration and quell some of the violence. That's a far cry from the 6,000 troops that Arizona Sen. John McCain had requested, and congressional Republicans seem miffed that Obama stole their thunder.

Still, as long as the troops follow the protocol laid out in 2006 when George W. Bush launched Operation Jumpstart -- that they're unarmed and act only in a support capacity to the Border Patrol by fixing vehicles, monitoring surveillance equipment, repairing fences -- I think sending the National Guard is a fine idea. It's just not the magic bullet that the most enthusiastic proponents of the idea would have us believe.

There's only one of those. It involves fining, arresting and prosecuting the employers of illegal immigrants, including people who are, this election year, streaming into fundraisers for McCain, Brewer and other tough-talking Republicans vowing to solve a problem that many of their backers helped create.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ruben Navarrette Jr.

atomdanger
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I want REAL, and HARSH penalty for hiring illegal immigrants.

Why is it the government has trouble finding these places?
I can take you to 10 companies right now with illegal immigrants.

VCURamFan
05-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Discuss....

I am seriously ticked at this...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/27/navarrette.arizona.rogue.state/index.html?hpt=T2
Does anyone know what Buzzard's real name is? I mean, Mr. Navarrette's specific brand of straw-man/hyperbole/righteous indignation seems oddly familiar...

J.B.
05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
He talks about what the BP is telling him, which is he said/she said at best, but he doesn't say crap about what is happening here in the valley, where MOST people in Arizona live. I wouldn't expect any less out of a writer for CNN in San Diego. He should worry about the immigration laws in his own state of California, because they basically mirror that of SB 1070.

Bonnie
05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
The only thing I agree with in that nimb-nut's article is that, yes, we need to start going after and fining these employers/companies hiring and using illegal immigrants. However, it's fruitless to go after these companies if we're not going to secure our borders.

Tyburn
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
If the Federal Government will not allocate the resources deemed required by the State Government of Arizona...then why shouldnt the Governor of the State take matters into their own hands...Europeans believe that its the job of the Government to protect the people, Whilst im not so sure the view is shared by Americans, they would sign up on the Military defending their boarders....is this not an example of enforcing laws that already should stop illegal immigration...and if they dont work, perhaps its time to actually get quite nitpicky...its American soil...its their land..Illegal immigrants legally do not have rights extended to citizens...they dont legally belong...they are tresspassers. If Required...Arizona should close her boarder with Mexico completely...I dont quite understand why she theatened to turn off power to parts of her neighbour state...but other then that I wouldnt say she was acting in a rogue manner...I would say that having exhasted all other avenues, she is simply taking a defient stance on this issue...I think your whole country should be at war with illegal immigrants...it should not be tollerated.

Tyburn
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
...I aggree with him about the businesses who employ illegal immigrants. Firms that employ them are breaking the law...if you break the law you are not a citizen because citizens follow the law...this makes you a criminal, and makes your actions treason. If you break the law, you have no right to turn to it to try and protect you afterwards. Criminals do not have the right to live tax free, they do not have the right to free facilities or provisions, they dont have the right to hot meals, they dont have the right to carpeted floors. They should be kept in chains, and kept in isolation. They should be tried swiftly, appeal only once...and then executed without delay. (Mexico may have the pleasure of intering the ashes...after all, if they are not/no longer American Citizens, why should they be burried on American Soil? A river will do if Mexico complains about Boarder petrol hurling the urns as far over the state line as possible :laugh:)

I'd whip up any country if I ever took political office, so fast, you'd go from Tip to Utopia in the time it takes to Hang them all :laugh:

You reward the good, you punish the bad....its not rocket science.

J.B.
05-27-2010, 09:45 PM
If the Federal Government will not allocate the resources deemed required by the State Government of Arizona...then why shouldnt the Governor of the State take matters into their own hands...Europeans believe that its the job of the Government to protect the people, Whilst im not so sure the view is shared by Americans, they would sign up on the Military defending their boarders....is this not an example of enforcing laws that already should stop illegal immigration...and if they dont work, perhaps its time to actually get quite nitpicky...its American soil...its their land..Illegal immigrants legally do not have rights extended to citizens...they dont legally belong...they are tresspassers. If Required...Arizona should close her boarder with Mexico completely...I dont quite understand why she theatened to turn off power to parts of her neighbour state...but other then that I wouldnt say she was acting in a rogue manner...I would say that having exhasted all other avenues, she is simply taking a defient stance on this issue...I think your whole country should be at war with illegal immigrants...it should not be tollerated.

You are right Dave. However, just to clarify, Arizona was never formally threatening to cease providing power to California, nor could they without a stiff legal battle.

This guy is just trying to give a one-sided view of the matter to push his own bias rather than actually addressing both sides of the issue.

He says he's flown over the border in a helicopter, well whoop-de-frickin-do. I too have personally been all over the border in this state. The "fence" that divides our two countries is so old and run down in some parts that people can literally slide right under like a dog escaping from the backyard. That is what he refers to as "the most fortified the border has ever been". Guess he couldn't see that from his helicopter ride. What a joke. :rolleyes:

He does make some good points, like going after the business men who are employing illegals, and saying that our culture helped create this mess. However those points are overshadowed by his gross ignorance in trying to insult the great state of Arizona.

Spiritwalker
05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I want REAL, and HARSH penalty for hiring illegal immigrants.

Why is it the government has trouble finding these places?
I can take you to 10 companies right now with illegal immigrants.

Completely Agree... fines fines FINES!!!!!!

Spiritwalker
05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know what Buzzard's real name is? I mean, Mr. Navarrette's specific brand of straw-man/hyperbole/righteous indignation seems oddly familiar...

LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h:

oh god... that hurts!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
You are right Dave. However, just to clarify, Arizona was never formally threatening to cease providing power to California, nor could they without a stiff legal battle.

This guy is just trying to give a one-sided view of the matter to push his own bias rather than actually addressing both sides of the issue.

He says he's flown over the border in a helicopter, well whoop-de-frickin-do. I too have personally been all over the border in this state. The "fence" that divides our two countries is so old and run down in some parts that people can literally slide right under like a dog escaping from the backyard. That is what he refers to as "the most fortified the border has ever been". Guess he couldn't see that from his helicopter ride. What a joke. :rolleyes:

He does make some good points, like going after the business men who are employing illegals, and saying that our culture helped create this mess. However those points are overshadowed by his gross ignorance in trying to insult the great state of Arizona.

See I'm quite suprised you dont have fortifications along the southern boarder. Turrets, lots of barbed and electric fencing...Mexico is a third world country, whilst not hostile, its still not going to be incontrol of its citizens. I would think you needed an armed perimeter as standard.

Maybe nothing as elaborate as The Great Wall of China...but along the lines of Hadrians Wall...proper concreate barriers...policed like you would police your airports and shipping lanes...

I was quite suprised at how State Boundaries are blink-and-you-miss-them type things. If A state needed to defend its boarders from other states in the event of a civil war or something...it would be impossible...at Iowa and Illinois would have a job without blowing a few bridges, which would leave them both unable to cross the river....Similarly Missouri and Illinois...another river, another bridge...but there was no checkpoint on this bridge...there was nothing stopping the traffic into Saint Loius...and I stood, alone on the Bridge between the Quad Cities wondering how I knew exactly which point along the bridge I suddenly moved into a different country :laugh:

NateR
05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
allowing them to do jobs that Arizonans wouldn't do.]

I'm so sick of hearing this ridiculous boiler-plate argument. I don't think this has ever been true of any part of the United States.

The problem is not that Americans are too lazy or just "too good" for certain jobs, the problem is the minimum wage laws that require employers to pay a certain amount to American citizens. However, they can illegally pay illegal aliens much less, so Americans who are completely willing to work get the shaft thanks to our wonderful minimum wage. This is why the minimum wage in America should NOT be a living wage, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

But I do agree that we need to severely punish American companies, or individuals, who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Unfortunately, the reason why I believe this will never happen is that most of Congress would probably find themselves in prison.

So, the best way to enforce a "no hire" law would be to give amnesty* to the companies who hire illegals, as long as they fire all of them and turn them over to immigration by a certain date. If the company doesn't comply, then the owner, CEO, etc. get thrown in federal prison for a 20 year minimum sentence for EACH illegal alien found in their employ.

* If amnesty is good enough for illegal immigrants, then it's good enough for American citizens. Someone needs to remind our government that American citizens are people too.

Bonnie
05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I just can't get over people's negative reaction to a state trying to do something about a big problem, not just for that state or any other state bordering Mexico, but for our whole country.

I believe 17 other states are now considering doing something similar to what Arizona is doing. I think (hope) Texas is one of them.

I wish just one of those congressman would have had the guts to stand up last week and say to Felipe Calderon, "With all due respect, Mr. President, Arizona isn't the problem." :ninja:

Here is an article I found. THIS!!!

http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2010/05/25/praising-arizona-17-states-considering-immigration-bills/

Praising Arizona: 17 States Considering Immigration Bills
by La Shawn Barber (05.25.10)

In 2010, it’s considered racist for the United States to maintain and regulate its own borders. It’s much worse that states want to maintain and regulate their borders. How did this happen? The attitude evolved over several decades.

I remember being shocked years ago when asked during an automated customer service phone call to choose English or Spanish. How, when, and why did this happen, I angrily wondered at the time, and I was a liberal! Now, it obviously had occurred before, but perhaps that was the first time it sank in.

The illegal “immigration” debate in the U.S. isn’t simply about breaking the law. It involves the lack of assimilation, and the expectation that English-speaking America somehow is obligated to accommodate those who seek the privilege of being in this great country instead of the other way around.

Americans for Illegal Immigration reports that at least 17 states are considering illegal immigration measures similar to Arizona’s, and I’m proud to know my home state of South Carolina is among them.

No matter how much people rant and rave about giving people a “second chance” or how illegal aliens come here only to work, the fact remains they’ve broken the law, and they should not be rewarded or excused for it. It raises my blood pressure just imagining raging hypocrites like Mexico’s president Felipe Calderon (pictured) uttering one complaint against the United States, let alone actually speaking those words out loud. His people are dying to get out of his country, and it’s a felony to be in Mexico illegally at any time. (Who’d want to be in Mexico, is my question.) In the U.S., it’s a felony only if a deported illegal alien returns.

I say we change the law.

I lament the paucity of men in high profile places and with power who will speak the truth without apology or fear and who put what’s best for America and for Americans before any others. (I note the irony of my statement. Arizona’s governor Jan Brewer is woman, and she’s standing her ground. More like her, please.) I don’t have the power to change anything, but they do. Yet, what do they do? Display moral cowardice, to Felipe Calderon’s amusement.

J.B.
05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I just can't get over people's negative reaction to a state trying to do something about a big problem, not just for that state or any other state bordering Mexico, but for our whole country.

I believe 17 other states are now considering doing something similar to what Arizona is doing. I think (hope) Texas is one of them.

I wish just one of those congressman would have had the guts to stand up last week and say to Felipe Calderon, "With all due respect, Mr. President, Arizona isn't the problem." :ninja:

Here is an article I found. THIS!!!

http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2010/05/25/praising-arizona-17-states-considering-immigration-bills/

I hear ya Bonnie, and that article is spot on.

I would add that it's funny how Calderon has condemned Arizona but not California.

Oh yeah, and GO SUNS!!!!

Bonnie
05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I hear ya Bonnie, and that article is spot on.

I would add that it's funny how Calderon has condemned Arizona but not California.

Oh yeah, and GO SUNS!!!!

:laugh:

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm so sick of hearing this ridiculous boiler-plate argument. I don't think this has ever been true of any part of the United States.

The problem is not that Americans are too lazy or just "too good" for certain jobs, the problem is the minimum wage laws that require employers to pay a certain amount to American citizens. However, they can illegally pay illegal aliens much less, so Americans who are completely willing to work get the shaft thanks to our wonderful minimum wage. This is why the minimum wage in America should NOT be a living wage, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

But I do agree that we need to severely punish American companies, or individuals, who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Unfortunately, the reason why I believe this will never happen is that most of Congress would probably find themselves in prison.

So, the best way to enforce a "no hire" law would be to give amnesty* to the companies who hire illegals, as long as they fire all of them and turn them over to immigration by a certain date. If the company doesn't comply, then the owner, CEO, etc. get thrown in federal prison for a 20 year minimum sentence for EACH illegal alien found in their employ.

* If amnesty is good enough for illegal immigrants, then it's good enough for American citizens. Someone needs to remind our government that American citizens are people too.

THANK YOU!!!!

I get so hot headed every time somebody says immigrants do work we won't.
I will do anything to feed my family, but we have laws about minimum wage for a reason.
No I won't do construction for 25 bucks a 10 hour day like the guys who stand by home depot.

Its insane. Its sad, and it pisses me off.

J.B.
05-28-2010, 02:57 AM
No I wont do construction for 25 bucks a 10 hour day like the guys who stand by home depot.

My views are well documented, but that statement is a misrepresentation of what illegal day-laborers get paid for a days work.

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 03:01 AM
My views are well documented, but that statement is a misrepresentation of what illegal day-laborers get paid for a days work.

No, it isn't.
Not only did I work construction through college, but my father has owned a construction company most of my life, I am a former union carpenter, and I know a fair amount of carpenters / construction workers.

A labor hand here (Washington or Oregon) will typically get 10 an hour,
that would be 100 before taxes on a 10 hour day.
I have personally witnessed guys get hired who stand on the corner for 25 a day.

I've seen guys demand 40 or 50 a day, but I've seen 25 a day for clean up.
Fairly often. But even at 50 for a ten hour day, thats 5 an hour and over 3 dollars less than hour minimum wage.

NateR
05-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I think when we are talking about people hiring workers off the books, then the wages paid can be all over the map. It wouldn't surprise me if someone out there is hiring illegal aliens for much less than $25 a day.

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 05:32 AM
I think when we are talking about people hiring workers off the books, then the wages paid can be all over the map. It wouldn't surprise me if someone out there is hiring illegal aliens for much less than $25 a day.

Yeah, I mean I know its different everywhere,
I just know I have personally seen "labor" guys get hired at 25 a day consistently.

Labor = Clean up, unloading, loading, etc...

J.B.
05-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I mean I know its different everywhere,
I just know I have personally seen "labor" guys get hired at 25 a day consistently.

Labor = Clean up, unloading, loading, etc...

Day workers can make more or less than what you described. The number of $25 is your own personal BS.

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Day workers can make more or less than what you described. The number of $25 is your own personal BS.

Again, NOT my own personal BS.

Not only did I work construction through college, but my father has owned a construction company most of my life, I am a former union carpenter, and I know a fair amount of carpenters / construction workers.

I have personally witnessed guys get hired who stand on the corner for 25 a day.

Fairly often. But even at 50 for a ten hour day, thats 5 an hour and over 3 dollars less than hour minimum wage.

If you agree they can make more or less,
why choose to call a number I have personally seen BS?

J.B.
05-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Again, NOT my own personal BS.

If you agree they can make more or less,
why choose to call a number I have personally seen BS?

Saying BS was harsh, so I apologize. I was in crappy mood last night. Anyway, I never said you didn't know anything about construction, but I'm not ignorant to the industry either. My dad and brother have been construction workers their whole lives and I've done numerous jobs laboring myself.

25 dollars for the day to do clean up is not the same as saying they are only getting 25 dollars for a 10 hour day of doing construction work. That's what I think is misleading. I worked doing tile for a little while when I first moved here to AZ and the guy who ran the business would hire illegals all the time for various jobs, and while they definitely came a lot cheaper than I did, he never paid any of them less than $60 for roughly 6-8 hours of work.

Yes, they can make more or less depending on what you are hiring them to do, because they will basically do anything. Still, hiring the illegals is bad enough, but $25 for the day is slave wages and you won't be luring many illegals to come work hard in this Arizona sun for that little amount of money.

Miss Foxy
05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Migrant farm workers.. Now they literally die in the fields from lack of water and rest. They get paid by the barrel and it's virtually pennies. :sad:

TexasRN
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Migrant farm workers.. Now they literally die in the fields from lack of water and rest. They get paid by the barrel and it's virtually pennies. :sad:

My dad grew up working as a migrant farm worker. His parents just drove them all around and they'd pick whatever crops were in at whatever area they were in. There were 9 original kids that survived that childhood. He used to tell us all kinds of stories. His life has been quite amazing.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
My dad grew up working as a migrant farm worker. His parents just drove them all around and they'd pick whatever crops were in at whatever area they were in. There were 9 original kids that survived that childhood. He used to tell us all kinds of stories. His life has been quite amazing.

~Amy

Thats cool.. My grandfather was one and caught TB out there and died when my dad was 8.. My dad would tell me stories of going from Brawley, CA up to Salinas, CA picking fruit and veggies.

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Saying BS was harsh, so I apologize. I was in crappy mood last night. Anyway, I never said you didn't know anything about construction, but I'm not ignorant to the industry either. My dad and brother have been construction workers their whole lives and I've done numerous jobs laboring myself.

25 dollars for the day to do clean up is not the same as saying they are only getting 25 dollars for a 10 hour day of doing construction work. That's what I think is misleading. I worked doing tile for a little while when I first moved here to AZ and the guy who ran the business would hire illegals all the time for various jobs, and while they definitely came a lot cheaper than I did, he never paid any of them less than $60 for roughly 6-8 hours of work.

Yes, they can make more or less depending on what you are hiring them to do, because they will basically do anything. Still, hiring the illegals is bad enough, but $25 for the day is slave wages and you won't be luring many illegals to come work hard in this Arizona sun for that little amount of money.

Well, construction is construction, most of the immigrant workers here aren't skilled enough to do the other jobs, so they do the labor work. And to be honest a LOT of hour immigrant workers are Russians, not Mexicans.

The Russians usually demand a little more money,
but I agree, it is slave wages, its crazy, and the punishments should be harsh

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Exactly, its unfair for everybody. The people hiring them need to be punished

J.B.
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, construction is construction, most of the immigrant workers here aren't skilled enough to do the other jobs, so they do the labor work. And to be honest a LOT of hour immigrant workers are Russians, not Mexicans.

The Russians usually demand a little more money,
but I agree, it is slave wages, its crazy, and the punishments should be harsh

You are right, I guess I wasn't giving it enough open thought in my response, as Arizona isn't the only state with with illegal workers.

I agree, it's terrible to hire workers and pay them like that, and this new law here is supposed to include some harsh penalties for people hiring illegal day laborers.

atomdanger
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
You are right, I guess I wasn't giving it enough open thought in my response, as Arizona isn't the only state with with illegal workers.

I agree, it's terrible to hire workers and pay them like that, and this new law here is supposed to include some harsh penalties for people hiring illegal day laborers.

I assume most immigrant workers there are Mexican?
Here its Russians and people from El Salvador? I don't mean to come off wrong, but I can't tell the difference between and El Salvadorian and a Mexican, but call one of them mexican, and whoa

J.B.
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Here its Russians and people from El Salvador? I don't mean to come off wrong, but I can't tell the difference between and El Salvadorian and a Mexican, but call one of them mexican, and whoa

:laugh:

Sometimes it seems like most of this state is Mexican!

You are up north, so I'd imagine you would see a more diverse group of immigrants, just like when I lived in Chicago, but yeah down here they are basically ALL Mexican.

For the record, the illegal Mexicans make the best Mexican food, they know what's up!

Really though, the problem is so bad down here sometimes it's easy to forget that the problem effects the entire country.

Miss Foxy
05-28-2010, 11:13 PM

Lol true!! Other hispanics get so offended when you call em Mexican it's hilarious. IMHO Salvadoreans are so ugly!! They are short and shaped weirdly especially the women.. yuck!:wacko:

TexasRN
05-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Thats cool.. My grandfather was one and caught TB out there and died when my dad was 8.. My dad would tell me stories of going from Brawley, CA up to Salinas, CA picking fruit and veggies.

My dad traveled anywhere from FL to Michigan to CA. So basically all over the country. It was a ridiculous life for a bunch of children. 9 survived to adulthood.

~Amy