PDA

View Full Version : Woody Allen: Roman Polanski has paid for what he’s done

Spiritwalker
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I am just curioius as to what everyone thinks here....

Woody Allen: Roman Polanski has paid for what he’s done

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/17/woody-allen-roman-polanski-has-paid-for-what-he%E2%80%99s-done/?hpt=T2

Woody Allen raised eyebrows at Cannes over the weekend when he offered words of support for another internationally known filmmaker, Roman Polanski.

“It’s something that happened many years ago," Allen said of Polanski’s sex scandal during an interview with French radio station RTL, according to the L.A. Times. "He has suffered, he has not been allowed to go to the United States. He was embarrassed by the whole thing."

Polanski pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, but fled to Europe before he was sentenced. He’s now fighting extradition from Switzerland to the United States.

"He's an artist, he's a nice person, he did something wrong and he paid for it. They [his critics] are not happy unless he pays the rest of his life. They would be happy if they could execute him in a firing squad," Allen added. “Enough is enough.”

It’s unclear if Allen was aware at the time of the interview that a second woman has come forward - British actress Charlotte Lewis - claiming that Polanski sexually abused her “in the worst way possible” when she was cast in one of his movies at 16.

Forgetting Allen's own past for a moment...

Should Roman Polanski be able to return to the states without fear of arrest?

I personally think that he needs to be "retreived". Thought so years ago. He has continued to make movies abroad and money from those movies here in the states. I still support the some of the actors that have worked with him after he ran like a coward.. and that still bugs me a bit.

rockdawg21
05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Polanski has yet to be brought to justice in the proper manner.

Bonnie
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm not surprised by Woody Allen's view on this. Yes, he should be brought back to face the consequences no matter how many years have passed. I think he's a pedofile.

Dethbob
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I am just curioius as to what everyone thinks here....

I think it’s hilarious! He seriously believes that fleeing justice should be easy and comfortable, and if evading consequences causes you any inconvenience at all, it should be considered equivalent to facing justice and making amends. “He was embarrassed by the whole thing." What a worthless person.

VCURamFan
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't understand how Woody thinks that evading the law & prison constitutes "punishment"... :unsure-1:

flo
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Woody Allen is a moral equivocator of the first order. I do really enjoy some of his movies but, personally, I think he's a schmuck and in this case, a pot calling the kettle black.

R. Polansky is a child rapist who has fled from justice for decades. I know the victim has said she "got over" what he did to her and that it's now the media who are ruining her life (and her family's). But, in my opinion, he owes a debt to society, even though his victim has moved on.

BTW, shy and retiring attorney, Gloria Allred, is representing another alleged victim, who just surfaced.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/now-a-brit-actress-claims-polanski-sexually-assaulted-her-when-she-was-16_100364132.html

Miss Foxy
05-18-2010, 06:19 PM
That comment was to be expected. From one pervert to the other...:angry:

Miss Foxy
05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Woody Allen is a moral equivocator of the first order. I do really enjoy some of his movies but, personally, I think he's a schmuck and in this case, a pot calling the kettle black.

R. Polansky is a child rapist who has fled from justice for decades. I know the victim has said she "got over" what he did to her and that it's now the media who are ruining her life (and her family's). But, in my opinion, he owes a debt to society, even though his victim has moved on.

BTW, shy and retiring attorney, Gloria Allred, is representing another alleged victim, who just surfaced.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/now-a-brit-actress-claims-polanski-sexually-assaulted-her-when-she-was-16_100364132.html
Oh my stars!! I can't stand Gloria Allred for the life of me!!!!!!!:punch:

Play The Man
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2010/05/woody_soon_yi.jpg

What is the old saying? A picture is worth a thousand words.

rearnakedchoke
05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
i firmly believe that roman needs to come back and face justice ... people who say he would have long paid for his crime by now don't make any sense ... he evaded the law by leaving the country and not coming back ... and woody saying this makes it even worse ... it's like OJ defending that dude from Beretta ...

flo
05-19-2010, 01:34 AM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2010/05/woody_soon_yi.jpg

What is the old saying? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Yeah, how creepy is that?

Play The Man
05-19-2010, 02:12 AM
If you have a strong stomach, here is a link to some of the trial testimony from "The Smoking Gun": http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskib1.html

Polanski gave a 13 year-old quaaludes and alcohol (a potentially deadly combination due to a synergistic effect), took naked pictures of her and then raped her (anally). He deserved jail time . . . and a little jailhouse justice.

NateR
05-19-2010, 03:18 AM
One sick pervert coming to the defense of another sick pervert changes nothing. Polanski either returns to the US to face justice or he dies in exile.

MattHughesRocks
05-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Woody Allen movies ROCK :cool: (for the most part)

MattHughesRocks
05-19-2010, 03:30 AM
For those two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItz-uNjoZA

:ninja:

Dethbob
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I just had a brilliant idea! Polanski versus Pudzianowski in the Cage of Justice! Didler v.s. Destroyer! If Polanski wins or dies he goes free, if he loses he goes to jail.

Spiritwalker
05-19-2010, 01:53 PM
One sick pervert coming to the defense of another sick pervert changes nothing. Polanski either returns to the US to face justice or he dies in exile.

So should we spend the money to aqquire him?

NateR
05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
So should we spend the money to aqquire him?

Isn't whatever country he is in granting him asylum?

rearnakedchoke
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Isn't whatever country he is in granting him asylum?

last i heard he was under house arrest in switzerland while they go over his case ... france and probably most other euro countries will probably grant him asylum .. switzerland has a deal with the US on extradition, so i don't know why he isn't in San Quentin bunking with some big dude with the nickname "cucumber" ...

Spiritwalker
05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Yep.. he is with the Swiss now.

From Wiki...

Geimer sued Polanski in 1988, alleging sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction. In 1993 Polanski agreed to settle with Geimer, however in August 1996 Polanski still owed her $604,416. Geimer and her lawyers would later confirm the settlement was completed.[69][70] In 1997, Geimer publicly forgave Polanski and filed a formal request with the Los Angeles Police Department to drop charges against him. In 2003 she wrote an Op Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times advocating for him to be allowed to return to the US to accept an Academy Award.[71]

On 26 September 2009, Polanski was taken into custody at the Zurich airport by Swiss police at the request of U.S. authorities, for a 2005 international arrest warrant, as he traveled to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich Film Festival.[72][73] After initially being jailed, on 4 December Polanski was granted house arrest at his Gstaad residence on $US 4.5 M bail, while awaiting decision of appeals fighting extradition.[74][75] On 22 January 2010, California Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza ruled that Polanski must return to be sentenced.[76]

So if the victim is forgiving the victimizer.. should the courts still follow through?

J.B.
05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

From Wiki...

So if the victim is forgiving the victimizer.. should the courts still follow through?

Yes, they should.

Just because she forgives him doesn't change the fact that he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl.

TexasRN
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM

From Wiki...

Yes. He deserves to do the time for his crime. Her forgiveness has nothing to do with the debt he owes to society.

Take for example my kids, say my daughter hits my son. She apologizes and he forgives her. She still gets in trouble and her punishment is not decdided by my son whom she wronged. She needs to suffer the consequences of her actions. Same applies here. Polanski did wrong, he has to suffer the consequences.

Besides, a lot of rape/molestation victims go to therapy and feel that they become survivors and put it all behind them in order to move on with their lives in a healthy way. They don't want to rehash it all and go over it again and again. I feel her motivation for not wanting to prosecute has to do with that more than anything else.

~Amy

VCURamFan
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, they should.

Just because she forgives him doesn't change the fact that he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl.This

Yes. He deserves to do the time for his crime. Her forgiveness has nothing to do with the debt he owes to society.

Take for example my kids, say my daughter hits my son. She apologizes and he forgives her. She still gets in trouble and her punishment is not decdided by my son whom she wronged. She needs to suffer the consequences of her actions. Same applies here. Polanski did wrong, he has to suffer the consequences.

Besides, a lot of rape/molestation victims go to therapy and feel that they become survivors and put it all behind them in order to move on with their lives in a healthy way. They don't want to rehash it all and go over it again and again. I feel her motivation for not wanting to prosecute has to do with that more than anything else.

~Amy
And this.

plus juan to each of you.

MattHughesRocks
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I agree 100%

Yes, they should.

Just because she forgives him doesn't change the fact that he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl.