PDA

View Full Version : Strikforce Spoilers

Country Breakfast
05-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Overeem demolishes Rogers, Bigfoot defeats Arlovski at “Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery”
Posted by Cory Brady on Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:31 pm· 12 Comments

At last, the Strikeforce heavyweight champion has returned to his rightful place at the throne following an absence that totalled more than two years this evening during “Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery” from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Alistair “The Demolition Man” Overeem needed all of 3:40 to demolish Brett “Grim “Rogers with a savage series of strikes in the pair’s championship clash that aired live on Showtime.

Overeem may have weighed more than ten pounds less than Rogers when the two hit the scales yesterday evening during the official weigh-ins but it was Alistair who made it quite apparent that he had a decisive strength advantage in the bout between fellow big men, throwing the larger Rogers to the canvas like a rag doll early in the first. It was all downhill for Rogers from there as the hulking Overeem kept Rogers pinned securely to the canvas and administered a ground and pound beating that caused the bout to be mercifully and appropriately waved off in the opening round.

Andrei Arlovski returned to action following more than a year layoff only to suffer the third consecutive defeat in his career, this time at the hands of Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva. Alrlovski answered many questions critics had regarding the former UFC heavyweight champion’s chin following back-to-back knockout losses by a variety of solid strikes to the chin from Silva. Unfortunately for Arlovski. Silva did just enough utilizing his striking arsenal in a closely contested bout to come away with a narrow unanimous decision vistory.

Also looking impressive on the card was Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, who utilized a much improved striking game with a suprising wrestling arsenal to impose his will on Joey Villasenor for the bulk of the three rounds between the middleweights en route to a unanimous decision victory.

Roger Gracie looked sharp in St. Louis as well, submitting former UFC champion Kevin Randleman with a rear naked choke in the very first round, and Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante added another stoppage to his steadily improving resume with a first round knockout of Antwain Britt.

A full set of live results from Strikeforce “St. Louis: Heavy Artillery” are below:

Matt Ricehouse def. Greg Wilson via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3

Tom Aaron def. Erik Steenberg via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1

Fransisco France def. Lee Brousseau via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1

Mike Chandler def. Sal Woods via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1

Darryl Cobb def. Booker DeRousse via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Lyle Beerbohm def. Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)

Jesse Finney def. Justin DeMoney via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1

Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcvante def. Antwain Britt via TKO – Round 1

Roger Gracie def. Kevin Randleman via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2

Ronaldo Souza def. Joey Villasenor via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

Antonio Silva def. Andrei Arlovski via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Alistair Overeem def. Brett Rogers via TKO – Round 1

atomdanger
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Fancy Pants with the win

Liddellfan
05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
NOT impressed with Overeem, Fedor is going to KILL him!:punch:

How did SF allow their HW champ go 2 years without defending the title? It couldn't be that Overeem is using steroids and has a hard time passing a drug test?:tongue0011:

Bobby71
05-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Fancy Pants with the win

Fancy Pants did not look good at all.

atomdanger
05-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Fancy Pants did not look good at all.

Oh pfft, 2 judges gave him 30 - 27.
What does that say about Shaolin?

Bobby71
05-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Oh pfft, 2 judges gave him 30 - 27.
What does that say about Shaolin?

Did you see the fight?

atomdanger
05-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Did you see the fight?

Yeah, to be honest I was impressed with FP's control over Shaolin.
Shaolin needs work on his wrestling, and strength from the looks of things.
He tried a lot of subs, but Lyle controlled the fight IMO

bj44
05-17-2010, 07:27 AM
wtf is wrong with arlovski... He pisses me off so much.. Biggest waste of mma talent of all time maybe.

Tyburn
05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Fancy Pants with the win

:applause: Yes, Yes he did :applause:

I hope Jojo doesnt feel to bad for his friend though :unsure-1:

I did...only reasonably on my picks to be honnest :sad:

Spiritwalker
05-17-2010, 11:13 AM
wtf is wrong with arlovski... He pisses me off so much.. Biggest waste of mma talent of all time maybe.

Agreed!!!! But he was looking good in that fight.. seemed to have some "fire" back.

But we all know the REAL biggest wast of MMA talent was Kalib Starnes.:huh:

Bobby71
05-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, to be honest I was impressed with FP's control over Shaolin.
Shaolin needs work on his wrestling, and strength from the looks of things.
He tried a lot of subs, but Lyle controlled the fight IMO

Fancy Pants pushed him up against the cage for the entire first round, imo it should have been a 10 10 round. The second round he got caught in a few subs that were super close! That arm bar was super close to finishing the fight. I do think he won the third round. I think the fight was a 28 28 draw. Either way I don't think Fancy Pants looked good.

atomdanger
05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Fancy Pants pushed him up against the cage for the entire first round, imo it should have been a 10 10 round. The second round he got caught in a few subs that were super close! That arm bar was super close to finishing the fight. I do think he won the third round. I think the fight was a 28 28 draw. Either way I don't think Fancy Pants looked good.

Yeah, eh...
I can see the argument for a 10 10,
but in reality its "effective grappling", boring maybe.
but if I can keep you held against the cage, then I am being more effective.
I had it 29-28, I gave Shaolin the second round.

atomdanger
05-18-2010, 02:03 AM

No offense, but your "review" was almost exactly the Sherdog review,
even the 10 10 round lol.
I doubt you saw the fight, so, in case not.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1643290&forum=1&page=1&pc=11

MattHughesRocks
05-18-2010, 02:20 AM
:laugh:

Bobby71
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
No offense, but your "review" was almost exactly the Sherdog review,
even the 10 10 round lol.
I doubt you saw the fight, so, in case not.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1643290&forum=1&page=1&pc=11

I was there at the fights and have pics to prove it.

atomdanger
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I was there at the fights and have pics to prove it.

Fair enough,
I just always find it odd when somebody has an "original" opinion that mirrors sherdog's.

F34R
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
That was a decent card. Overeem vs Fedor? He better step up his game is all I can say. He's a lot better than what we saw against Rogers for sure, and he'll need to be.

Bobby71
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Fair enough,
I just always find it odd when somebody has an "original" opinion that mirrors sherdog's.

I'm not saying Fancy Pants is a bad fighter, it just wasn't his greatest showing imo.

I also went to the weigh ins the day before the fights and got my pic taken with Robbie Lawler and King Mo.