PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite entertainer?

J.B.
05-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I know it's broad, but I'm putting you guys on the spot...pick one! I know you can do it! :laugh:

J.B.
05-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Okay, since I started this thread, I should probably give mine first....:laugh:

Michael Jackson, which likely comes as no surprise to some of you.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/wdonkey/000-michael_jackson-thriller_25--1.jpg

NateR
05-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Just how broad are we defining the word "entertainer" here? Are we necessarily talking about performers?

J.B.
05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Just how broad are we defining the word "entertainer" here? Are we necessarily talking about performers?

Whatever you want bro :laugh:

It could be a writer, an actor, a singer, a dancer, whatever.

Whoever it is that has "entertained" you the most in life, I guess thats what I'm getting at.

Obviously I mean outside of the realm of answers like "God", because that is just to be assumed. :laugh:

NateR
05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Well, considering that I have been a Star Wars fan since I was 5 years old, then I guess I should say George Lucas. Even if you just count the good Star Wars movies, those have been more than enough to continue to entertain me for over 32 years.

flo
05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Jimmy Page, hands down.

flo
05-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I really loved George Carlin too, hard to believe he's gone.

Nate, how would you rate the prequels compared to the first 3 movies? Just curious.

J.B.
05-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Well, considering that I have been a Star Wars fan since I was 5 years old, then I guess I should say George Lucas. Even if you just count the good Star Wars movies, those have been more than enough to continue to entertain me for over 32 years.

I know flo kinda asked you a similar question, but as a person who has NEVER seen any of the Star Wars films, I wanna ask your opinion....

Should I watch them all in the actual chronological order, or should I watch them in the order in which they were released?

NateR
05-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Nate, how would you rate the prequels compared to the first 3 movies? Just curious.

Well, Star Wars (the film released in 1977, not the entire franchise) is the greatest movie of all time in my opinion. 1980's Empire Strikes Back is the greatest sequel to the greatest movie of all time. Return of the Jedi from 1983 was my favorite movie as a kid, but it doesn't hold up as well as the other two.

The Prequels were interesting eye-candy and decent technical achievements, but only Episode 1 falls into the category of a "good movie" in my book. Episode 3 is really frustrating to watch because it could have actually been a good movie if the previous 2 did a better job of setting it up. Episode 2 is just horrible, it has one cool sequence near the end, but everything else that surrounds it is pure garbage.

I know flo kinda asked you a similar question, but as a person who has NEVER seen any of the Star Wars films, I wanna ask your opinion....

Should I watch them all in the actual chronological order, or should I watch them in the order in which they were released?

Watch them in the order that they were released. Start with the 1977 film "Star Wars" which is now referred to as "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope." If you can, try to get the original theatrical release, not the Special Edition. Then watch Empire Strikes Back from 1980. Those are the only two that you really "need" to see before you die. However, you will probably want to watch Return of the Jedi after that just to see how everything ends. Then you're done, you can watch the new movies if you want to, but you'll probably find that you enjoy the originals more if you don't bother.

J.B.
05-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks Nate, I kinda figured the old ones would be the only ones worth watching :laugh:

I swear, the older I get, the more my tastes shift to the past. Like with music, all I listen to, outside of the stuff I am forced to work with, is at least 30 to 50 years old. From an audio standpoint, I have gotten so used to the sound of digital recording (even in my own music) that I basically shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes when anything post 1985 comes through the airwaves. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I love new stuff, but I guess Im just turning into a geezer!

flo
05-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love new stuff, but I guess Im just turning into a geezer!

Yay! :laugh::laugh:

I agree with what Nate said except I would definitely recommend all three.

I saw the first prequel and thought it was OK, I watched most of the second one but lost interest enough that I haven't even seen the third. I would say that the first three are masterpieces; even compared with the technology available today they look and sound great.

flo
05-15-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm still on the edge of my seat when Luke is in the X-wing fighter trying to destroy the death star, and I've watched it at least a dozen times (this doesn't give away anything, hopefully).

MattHughesRocks
05-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Rod Stewart. He's the love of my life and has been since 1979 ( I was a baby:w00t:) He's only made me happy never once let me down :wub:

Mac
05-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Hank JR .. Ive been a fan of his ever since i found the old live cassette laying on top of my dads dresser. It was the only album i had and wore it out litterally in a walk man . After that , my mom would let me go to the library somewhere around 7 or 8 years old , where they had Hank Jr's greatest hits volume 2 on vinyl . I would sit at the record player in the library with my big headphones and listen to it clear through...

logrus
05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
TV = Ed O'Neil

Film = Bill Murray

Music = Dave Matthews Band

Sports = Jordan

Author = Roger Zelazny

rearnakedchoke
05-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Bob Marley as a young teenager, got the box set and listened to them over and over ... love to see how he morphed as a musician and politically ... my mom would get mad and tell me to stop listening to that (she didn't like the fact that he talked a lot about the black man rising up .. LOL)

Rev
05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
C.S. Lewis
Nuf said

DonnaMaria
05-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Gene Kelly

love, love LOVE Gene Kelly:ashamed:

TexasRN
05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
My all time favorite.....Shirley Temple. Really. :ashamed::laugh:

Second fave: Audrey Hepburn.

~Amy

DonnaMaria
05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
My all time favorite.....Shirley Temple. Really. :ashamed::laugh:

Second fave: Audrey Hepburn.

~Amy

aaaaahhhhh! A classic kind of gal! Love it! :wink::)

donaldbreland
05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I would have to say Dale Earnhardt Sr. The reason is because this man came from nothing and turned into one of racings well known Heroes. He made millions of dollars from practically nothing. He shared a lot of his money and helped people through out this Country. To me that is everything an entertainer should be.

Miss Foxy
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Johnny Cash

flo
05-18-2010, 01:38 AM
This is a very interesting thread, no one's favorites were predictable and I thought some were surprising!

Bonnie
05-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Paul Newman, John Wayne, Natalie Wood just to name three greats.

and, of course

Elvis :)

TexasRN
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Paul Newman, John Wayne, Natalie Wood just to name three greats.

and, of course

Elvis :)

:happy0159: Another girl who loves the classics. I knew I liked you! :laugh:

~Amy

Play The Man
06-26-2010, 06:04 AM
I would say Jimmy Stewart. His career spanned several decades. He was an Academy award winner. He was in great films encompassing a number of genres: Westerns, sentimental Capra films, Hitchcock/Suspense films, Crime/Courtroom thrillers, Biographies, comedies, etc.

I know it doesn't make him a great entertainer but he was a good man. He was married to the same woman for decades until she died. He volunteered for the military prior to WWII, entering as a private. He flew bombing missions over Nazi-occupied Europe. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Croix De Guerre. By the end of the war he was a Colonel. He stayed in the Air Force reserves until 1968, reaching the rank of Brigadier General.

Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't have actors like Jimmy Stewart these days.

Bonnie
06-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I would say Jimmy Stewart. His career spanned several decades. He was an Academy award winner. He was in great films encompassing a number of genres: Westerns, sentimental Capra films, Hitchcock/Suspense films, Crime/Courtroom thrillers, Biographies, comedies, etc.

I know it doesn't make him a great entertainer but he was a good man. He was married to the same woman for decades until she died. He volunteered for the military prior to WWII, entering as a private. He flew bombing missions over Nazi-occupied Europe. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Croix De Guerre. By the end of the war he was a Colonel. He stayed in the Air Force reserves until 1968, reaching the rank of Brigadier General.

Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't have actors like Jimmy Stewart these days.

Don't forget his poetry. :)

Shoots like a girl
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Stephen King......I love to read his books and love to see his movies.

County Mike
06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Stephen King......I love to read his books and love to see his movies.

I was just thinking to myself "I can't think of a single entertainer that really stands out to me". Then I read your post and was like "duh!". HUGE Stephen King fan. The Gunslinger novels alone have entertained me more than any other entertainer. Throw in all his other novels and I'd have to say he's responsible for a very large portion of my life's entertainment.

The books moreso than than the movies, but even some of those have entertained me quite a bit.

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
O, well if novels count, then I'd prolly have to go Tolkien. As much as I may try to deny it, I'm a huge nerd & most of that is his fault! :laugh: :happydancing:

Miss Foxy
06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Madonna...<3

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Madonna...<3
Dang it! I wish I could get to YouTube at work so I could link to the Family Guy clip about here! grrrrrrr :banghead:

Miss Foxy
06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Dang it! I wish I could get to YouTube at work so I could link to the Family Guy clip about here! grrrrrrr :banghead:

I can't access youtube as well at work.. Bummer huh!!:wacko:

VCURamFan
06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I can't access youtube as well at work.. Bummer huh!!:wacko:
Yeah, seriously!

Play The Man
07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Don't forget his poetry. :)

How could I forget? Here is a YouTube clip of Jimmy Stewart reading a poem about his dog, entitled "Beau", on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson back in 1981. There is a poignant moment at the end when you can tell both Jimmy and Johnny are "tearing up".:cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNJjIwlHk8

flo
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm crying too. Thanks for posting it, PTM, I hadn't seen that in a long time. I loved Jimmy Stewart; now there was a fine actor, one a person could admire. When he died it seemed like we all lost a friend.

Vizion
07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Carrot Top is amazing :laugh:

Jimmy Mack
08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
George Strait

Rochambeau
09-08-2010, 04:33 AM
The one and only James Brown. He poured every inch of his soul into his music. Talented like nobody else. What a voice.