PDA

View Full Version : MMA & the Legal Injunction: A History

VCURamFan
05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Funny article from MMAJournalist.com :laugh::

Don King filed an injuction against Shine Fights to stop boxer Ricardo Mayorga - whom he manages in boxing - from facing Din Thomas in an MMA bout. All arguments as to whether King's injunction has merit aside, what's noteworthy here is that a simple sheaf of documents could sink a pay-per-view mere days before its scheduled date. Thus is the power of the legal injunction. And though MMA's history is a short one, it's a history rife with broken contracts, copyright infringements and countless other court-based fisticuffs. What are some of the more noteworthy legal actions taken in mixed martial arts? MMA Journalist has compiled a list!

Zuffa v. US Department of Transportation – If 16 years of UFC action has taught us anything, it’s that the “Superbowl of Mixed Martial Arts” will sue the pants off of anyone who dares use an eight-sided cage. But Zuffa has absolutely no compunctions about going after anyone employing literally anything with eight-sides, which has led to lawsuits against such children shows as Sesame Street and Yo Gabba Gabba (for their episodes centering around shapes), as well as against the US Department of Transportation for their use of the stop sign. Although six local Las Vegas judges in have ruled in Zuffa’s favor, the US District Court and the US Court of Appeals have denied the injunction against the Department of Transportation. The US Supreme Court may still weigh in on the matter.

United States Equestrian Federation v. Alistair Overeem – The US Equestrian Federation loves horses, and Strikeforce heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem loves horse meat. Put to the two together and you have a legal injunction that forbids the Golden Glory fighter from coming within two miles of such events as the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes. After all, if his massive size and physique doesn’t come from steroids but instead comes from eating steeds and ponies (as he claims), then Overeem must go through about a horse a day. To the US Equestrian Federation, that simply will not do, hence the restraining order.

Food and Drug Administration v. Paulo Filho – The Food and Drug Administration is tasked with regulating prescription drugs, and to them, former Pride star and ex-WEC champ Paulo Filho is practically a walking pharmacy. Thus, whenever Filho attempts to re-enter the United States, the FDA has agents meet him at the border – not to arrest or detain him, but to just marvel at the fact that someone so whacked out and unreliable can somehow still book fights. This tact has so far worked well in keeping the Brazilian out of the country, but if he at some point does make it in, there’s a legal injunction in place that would keep fans and fighters alike from taking him seriously.

American Medical Association v. Andrei Arlovski – Nine out of ten doctors agree that Andrei Arlovski has taken far too many hard blows to the head, with five of those same doctors conceding that at this point he’s in danger of getting knocked out when faced with someone with just a simple case of bad breath. Consequently, the AMA has filed an injunction that would mandate his use of a foam helmet for whenever he fights, with past opponents Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers going on record to voice their support of the legal requirement. Said Emelianenko: “Da.”

Worldwide Karate Organization v. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s right hand – The stated mission of the Worldwide Karate Organization is to “promote the belief and practice of karate as a viable form of unarmed combat”. Unfortunately, after Saturday night’s UFC 113 and the abrupt destruction of Shotokan practitioner Lyoto Machida, that mission’s viability took a serious blow. Thus, the Worldwide Karate Organization has filed an injunction against Shogun’s right hand, asking that the courts ban its use against any MMA competitor who practices blocks and katas instead of learning how to box.

J.B.
05-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I didn't know the Onion was writing MMA articles now. :laugh:

VCURamFan
05-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I didn't know the Onion was writing MMA articles now. :laugh:
Haha, yeah, pretty much!

J.B.
05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Haha, yeah, pretty much!

At first I was glancing at it and saying, WHAT?!?

Then I read like 2 sentences and started laughing. :laugh:

VCURamFan
05-15-2010, 12:47 AM
At first I was glancing at it and saying, WHAT?!?

Then I read like 2 sentences and started laughing. :laugh:
Pretty much! I think my favorite is easily Overeem.

rearnakedchoke
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
well, looks like don king got his injunction .... LOL ... JB, nice sig .. but looks more like Planet Oreo, than Planet Orange ...

J.B.
05-15-2010, 11:55 PM
well, looks like don king got his injunction .... LOL ... JB, nice sig .. but looks more like Planet Oreo, than Planet Orange ...

I think Mayorga is going to defy the injunction...

rearnakedchoke
05-16-2010, 05:55 AM
I think Mayorga is going to defy the injunction...

wow .. didn't see that coming ... the NCAC made SHine cancel the entire event ... that would suck if you had tickets ....

J.B.
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
wow .. didn't see that coming ... the NCAC made SHine cancel the entire event ... that would suck if you had tickets ....

Yeah, I guess Mayorga's balls aren't as big as his mouth. :laugh:

VCURamFan
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Article from WatchKalibRun.com titled "Don King really does have piles of money lying around" :laugh: :

We've often wondered what we would do if we had a million dollars. Probably buy an exotic pet, like a lama or an emu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHacDYj8KZM).
Well, we know what Don King would do with a million dollars, stuff it into two duffel bags to keep Ricardo Mayorga from competing in a MMA fight (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-kinginjunction051510):

[the judge] required King to post a $1 million cash bond in case Shine wins an appeal and can prove damages. In less than two hours, King brought the money in cash stashed in two duffel bags to the court.
"I felt like Clint Eastwood speeding down the highway with a fistful of dollars," King said.

Wow, talk about slamming the door shut on Shine fights (http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2010/5/15/1473449/law-and-order-mma-don-king-wins).
Also, how does Don King just have a million in cash lying around? Is he Joe from The Wire or what?

VCURamFan
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Here's an article from MMAWeekly.com explaning the cancelation. Important bits in bold:

The fallout from the Shine Fights cancellation from the weekend continues into the new week as matchmaker Ron Foster has now resigned from the promotion amidst speculation of disorder and disorganization at the event in North Carolina on Saturday. The North Carolina Boxing Authority has also responded with why the event was canceled and it had nothing to do with Ricardo Mayorga.

On Monday morning, Ron Foster announced his resignation to fighters and managers by sending an e-mail saying that he was stepping down from his duties as matchmaker for Shine Fights. When reached for comment on Monday by MMAWeekly.com, Foster was traveling at the time, and requested more time for an official response.

In the e-mail sent out on Monday Foster said, "because of the actions that took place on Saturday, Sunday and Monday I no longer feel that Shine Fights is the place for me."

Speculation ran wild on Saturday as to why the North Carolina Boxing Authority had pulled the plug on the show, but Executive Director Ken Pike and Superintendent Terrence Merriweather responded to MMAWeekly.com, answering all the questions about why the show was canceled.

"There were concerns about fighter safety and well being, that's why the fight was canceled," said Merriweather on Monday. "What we're talking about specifically is failing to have a doctor at the event, at the time for the fighters to be seen before the fights had started."

Pike and Merriweather confirmed that in North Carolina it's the responsibility of the promotion to provide the doctor, and one was not on scene for the fights on Saturday. A financial problem arose as well, as the members of the Boxing Authority explained.

"North Carolina rules and (regulations) require the promoter to have all purse amounts to the boxing authority two hours before the first match-up, and those requirements were not met," said Merriweather.

The full purse means funds to cover all the contracted bout agreements had to be paid to the commission prior to the event to guarantee fighter pay, and according to the members of the Boxing Authority, Shine Fights never followed through with that commitment.

Speaking with MMAWeekly.com anonymously on Monday, a source close to the event said that the situation at and around the show on Saturday was chaotic at best.

Shine Fights CEO Devin Price, as previously reported by MMAWeekly, was not present at the event due to the legal hearing held in Florida earlier in the day to deal with the fallout of the injunction filed on behalf of Don King who was Ricardo Mayorga's boxing promoter.

According to sources at the event, fans were already in the building and seated when the commission decided to cancel the show, and that refunds would be issued this week.

Also fighters on the card were set to be paid by Shine Fights as Price disclosed on Saturday following the event's cancellation. MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that fighters were told they would be paid, and that different fighters will get a different percentage of their fight purse depending on the contractual obligations set forth when deals were signed.

Representatives from Shine Fights declined to comment to MMAWeekly.com at the time of this publication.