PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed pets

Tyburn
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
:blink:

Did you know that you can get small pets stuffed when they die :unsure-1:

I think I might do that with Jens or my birds when they die...eventually I'll have a Bird Mobile :laugh:

What made me think of this was the fact that they've just reopened the Flourance Nightingale museum in London...and she used to have a pet Bird...it was a wild Bird which she raised, an Owl...anyway...they have the original....its stuffed now obviously :laugh:

flo
05-12-2010, 10:32 PM
:blink:

Did you know that you can get small pets stuffed when they die :unsure-1:

I think I might do that with Jens or my birds when they die...eventually I'll have a Bird Mobile :laugh:

What made me think of this was the fact that they've just reopened the Flourance Nightingale museum in London...and she used to have a pet Bird...it was a wild Bird which she raised, an Owl...anyway...they have the original....its stuffed now obviously :laugh:
I've heard about this although I don't personally know anyone who has done it. It kind of creeps me out. Like the people who paid the big bucks to have their pets cloned. Ick.

But, to each his own.

heh, this kind of reminds me of the thread where the deceased was "posed" on his motorcycle.

Garandshooter
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I have a stuffed pheasant. He wasn't my pet so he probably doesn't count. I also have a black squirrel. I don't think I'll have anything else stuffed, because they're pita to keep clean. I've often thought of donating these things to a conservation group.

Mac
05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Silver and Mark have been stuffing goats for years...........

HA HA HA i cant believe i beat Danny to this thread LOL

Mac
05-13-2010, 12:34 AM
ive got 7 bucks hanging on the walls and number 8 is at the taxidermist as we speak . And a coyote hide i had tanned.

DonnaMaria
05-13-2010, 01:13 AM
I never had a pet stuffed but I had one cremated........:huh:

He's sitting in my china cabinet as we speak.......in a floral tin.......

Not very dignified for a big Rottie but I gotta save up for a nice wooden box.:laugh:

He was a 135lb dog. I need a BIG box.:scared0015:

Silverback
05-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Silver and Mark have been stuffing goats for years...........

HA HA HA i cant believe i beat Danny to this thread LOL

PUNK

flo
05-13-2010, 03:02 AM
I never had a pet stuffed but I had one cremated........:huh:

He's sitting in my china cabinet as we speak.......in a floral tin.......

Not very dignified for a big Rottie but I gotta save up for a nice wooden box.:laugh:

He was a 135lb dog. I need a BIG box.:scared0015:

I have ashes from a pet too, DonnaMaria. I told my husband that when I'm gone he can strew both containers of ashes in the garden. :)

jason2130
05-13-2010, 03:28 AM
i do pest control so im in and out of alot of peoples houses

one customer has 3 of her pet cats stuffed like they are sleeping and they all lay on her guest room bed

a different customer in a apartment complex has his doberman stuffed sitting up with his ears back looking pissed and it sits facing his front door, every few months when i go spray it you get in a rhythm going door to door (knock, ring doorbell, wait, unlock door, yell "bug man", spray, mark calender, leave) you hit that apartment and you get just inside the door before you notice it and your heart sinks into your stomach for a split second until you remember it :sad:

surveyorshawn
05-13-2010, 03:52 AM
I have 16 bucks, a duck, a bobcat, an 8 lb bass, and a while squirrel on the wall, lol. Not a chance on the pets, though! Most taxidermists won't do them because you can never get their expressions right and the owners are never satisfied

flo
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
i do pest control so im in and out of alot of peoples houses

one customer has 3 of her pet cats stuffed like they are sleeping and they all lay on her guest room bed

a different customer in a apartment complex has his doberman stuffed sitting up with his ears back looking pissed and it sits facing his front door, every few months when i go spray it you get in a rhythm going door to door (knock, ring doorbell, wait, unlock door, yell "bug man", spray, mark calender, leave) you hit that apartment and you get just inside the door before you notice it and your heart sinks into your stomach for a split second until you remember it :sad:
O-M-G

flo
05-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Most taxidermists won't do them because you can never get their expressions right and the owners are never satisfied

You mean like this, Shawn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw&feature=related

tee hee

J.B.
05-13-2010, 08:26 AM
No thanks. :laugh:

Blade
05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't even understand the cremation thing, but as for getting your pet stuffed, why the hell would anyone want to do that? My little boy will be laid to rest properly, and my memories of him will be of him running around free and happy with a big smile on his face, not gathering dust in the corner and staring into space.

DonnaMaria
05-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't even understand the cremation thing, but as for getting your pet stuffed, why the hell would anyone want to do that? My little boy will be laid to rest properly, and my memories of him will be of him running around free and happy with a big smile on his face, not gathering dust in the corner and staring into space.

Well I opted for cremation because Jager was too big to bury in my yard. The vet wasn't allowed to release him to me. So if I didn't cremate him he would have been "disposed of" and I couldn't allow that to happen.

I wasn't allowed to bury him in my yard so I had to do the next best thing.....

Llamafighter
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
ive got 7 bucks hanging on the walls and number 8 is at the taxidermist as we speak . And a coyote hide i had tanned.

not sure why you'd staple money to the wall but to each his own I guess...

J.B.
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM

that threw me off the first time I read it too :laugh:

flo
05-13-2010, 09:02 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MattHughesRocks
05-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I used to know a guy many years ago that was a taxidermist. Every time I went to his house he was sitting there sewing.Man it was SO gross.He'd also talk about he would stuff his Rottweilers when they died too ( he had 3):w00t:
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I personally would NEVER have a stuffed animal or bird or person, anywhere in my home:blink:

philips4
05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Ashes, stuffed?! No thanks, all my pets eventually get eaten by the coyotes around here.....and I have to admit that when my kids bunnies died, well, they were at school and I figured w/ the circle of life and all and I would toss them over the fence and feed the coyotes....took about 30 minutes and they were gone! :Whistle: Never did fess up what I did w/ the "bodies" My husband on the other hand, is getting a kudo, gorilla and some other animal stuffed....:scared0015:

MattHughesRocks
05-14-2010, 12:54 AM
You guys have a gorilla?:unsure-1:

Ashes, stuffed?! No thanks, all my pets eventually get eaten by the coyotes around here.....and I have to admit that when my kids bunnies died, well, they were at school and I figured w/ the circle of life and all and I would toss them over the fence and feed the coyotes....took about 30 minutes and they were gone! :Whistle: Never did fess up what I did w/ the "bodies" My husband on the other hand, is getting a kudo, gorilla and some other animal stuffed....:scared0015:

surveyorshawn
05-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Well, that's got me beat by a long shot! Lol! I've still got to find something to do with all my deer heads, because they won't fit where we're moving!

philips4
05-14-2010, 01:20 AM
You guys have a gorilla?:unsure-1:

Creepy huh? :blink: His it not here yet but the rest of the hunting guys have theirs from last year .... oh wait, its a baboon! I don't know the difference I guess, but still its scary and looks, well, kinda like a person!

MattHughesRocks
05-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Maybe he can stay at the zoo when he gets there? :unsure-1:

Creepy huh? :blink: His it not here yet but the rest of the hunting guys have theirs from last year .... oh wait, its a baboon! I don't know the difference I guess, but still its scary and looks, well, kinda like a person!

philips4
05-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Maybe he can stay at the zoo when he gets there? :unsure-1:

No kidding, his buddy also has a zebra.... talk about traumatizing the kids when they walk into his den (where he keeps them) he also has baboon in a tux holding a tray by his front door!:unsure-1:

DonnaMaria
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

All your pets?!?!? Do you have dogs?! The dogs too?!?:scared0011:

You are a MUCH stronger woman than I am. :laugh:Everything we own gets a burial or memorial when it passes on........everything....the dogs.....the hamster......the cats......the hermit crab.....the caterpillar..:rolleyes::laugh:
with singing, prayers, flowers.........grave markers.........:rolleyes::laugh:

All in our yard........but you get the idea.......we are VERY sentimental!:rolleyes::ashamed:

But I would NEVER have a pet stuffed. Thats just creepy......:blink:

VCURamFan
05-14-2010, 03:44 PM
All your pets?!?!? Do you have dogs?! The dogs too?!?:scared0011:

You are a MUCH stronger woman than I am. :laugh:Everything we own gets a burial or memorial when it passes on........everything....the dogs.....the hamster......the cats......the hermit crab.....the caterpillar..:rolleyes::laugh:
with singing, prayers, flowers.........grave markers.........:rolleyes::laugh:

All in our yard........but you get the idea.......we are VERY sentimental!:rolleyes::ashamed:

But I would NEVER have a pet stuffed. Thats just creepy......:blink:
My sister had what seemed like 15 hamsters growing up (prolly really only 5 or so). I don't think I ever saw one of them die. I mean, I knew they had all died, but it was usually more of a "Gee, this latest hamster escaped into the walls about 2 weeks ago. It's gotta be dead by now..." :laugh:

As for dogs, my family's only ever had 2: Right now we've got Harley (good old 5.5 year old American Mutt), but when I was little (i.e. Kindergarten), we got Pepper. She was a black lab & I loved her to death. I can remember being very jealous of her attention, going so far as to smear syrup on my hand, so she would follow me to my room & ignore my brother & sister! :laugh: We got her for Christmas my Kindergarten year. She passed away not long after I got my college acceptance letters. I buried her out back next to the pond I had installed. :cry:

flo
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, some don't understand about cremation but our pets are our family. Like DonnaMaria, I didn't want my beloved pet "disposed of" and had him cremated.

I think "to each his own" (as long as the animal isn't abused in life), and it's the owner's choice what to do after death.

flo
05-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I can remember being very jealous of her attention, going so far as to smear syrup on my hand, so she would follow me to my room & ignore my brother & sister! :laugh: We got her for Christmas my Kindergarten year. She passed away not long after I got my college acceptance letters. I buried her out back next to the pond I had installed. :cry:

Aww. We buried two of our pet cats on our property under a doug fir and marked the spots with large granite rocks. I like it because when I walk by I think about them and how much love and affection they brought to our lives.

Neezar
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Aww. We buried two of our pet cats on our property under a doug fir and marked the spots with large granite rocks. I like it because when I walk by I think about them and how much love and affection they brought to our lives.

We buried Nitro at the back of the property. Hubby marked it with a small white cross and hung his collar on it. :cry:

Nice. However, I don't want a white cross there permanently. I want to plant something nice there. I will have to figure out what to plant though because it is in full shade.

TexasRN
05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
We buried Nitro at the back of the property. Hubby marked it with a small white cross and hung his collar on it. :cry:

Nice. However, I don't want a white cross there permanently. I want to plant something nice there. I will have to figure out what to plant though because it is in full shade.

Plant a red fern. Like in the first book that ever made me cry....:cry:

Where The Red Fern Grows is one of my all time favorites. I have read it several times and plan to read it again soon.

~Amy

Neezar
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Where The Red Fern Grows is one of my all time favorites. I have read it several times and plan to read it again soon.

~Amy

:angry: Dang it, Amy! Now I am all teary eyed again! :cry:

TexasRN
05-14-2010, 06:39 PM
:angry: Dang it, Amy! Now I am all teary eyed again! :cry:

Sorry. I just love that book. :cry: Now I have to go to the library tomorrow.

~Amy

VCURamFan
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Aww. We buried two of our pet cats on our property under a doug fir and marked the spots with large granite rocks. I like it because when I walk by I think about them and how much love and affection they brought to our lives.Yeah, I walk by the pond every time I head over to Granny & Granddaddy's house (our backyards are kind catty-cornered).

~Amy
O, c'mon, Amy, that's just cheating! :cry: