PDA

View Full Version : would any one like to see Maia vs nate marquardt

Jason 16
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Id like to see it but I think nate has waited and won enough to get another shot at silva. O and for both fights im picking marquard koing maia and L.A.P/elbowing silva

Josh
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I would love to see it but I agree he should be next in line for Silva. That combo that Nate threw last night was incredible. That was the kind of beatdown I love to see. He wasn't just out punching Wilson. He was working over his whole body and I bet Wilson is really sore this morning. As for Maia the guy is amazing and I still say if the fight went his way he could beat Silva.

atomdanger
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Nate has 2 wins since his last lost.
I don't care if the loss was by points, it was a loss fair and square.
He fought dirty, he paid the price.

Maia is 5 - 0 in the UFC, with 5 impressive submission wins.

It isn't like Nate's fight with Anderson was a war, or super close or something,
I don't see why people think he deserves a shot before Maia.

Jason 16
02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I say nate would take maia because if you look at the ed herman fight, most people count him as a b level fighter with good bjj and he was able to give him problems and get some good gnp in. so if you take a A level fighter with great bjj and and strikeing that went from a c- to an A-/A I just see him not being able to take nate down and if he does a little bit of gnp than stand up and own him on his feet. sonnon lost becuse he seemed content rolling with him

matthughesfan21
02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I say nate would take maia because if you look at the ed herman fight, most people count him as a b level fighter with good bjj and he was able to give him problems and get some good gnp in. so if you take a A level fighter with great bjj and and strikeing that went from a c- to an A-/A I just see him not being able to take nate down and if he does a little bit of gnp than stand up and own him on his feet. sonnon lost becuse he seemed content rolling with himMMAMATH doens't work, especially when you are comparing someone as good as Maia, to someone as irrelevant as ed herman

lc87
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I still disagree with one of the fouls that was called in that fight. And I def think thalies doesn't deserve a title shot.sur noone else in the mw div doesn't either but still .

Jason 16
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
MMAMATH doens't work, especially when you are comparing someone as good as Maia, to someone as irrelevant as ed herman

so your saying it doesnt matter that ed herman gave maia problems

matthughesfan21
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
so your saying it doesnt matter that ed herman gave maia problems
I don't doubt that marquardt wouldn't be able to get some gnp in, but maia will either reverse him or lock something up, his bjj is just that good

ufcfan2
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I would'nt mind seeing that fight somewhere down the road. They both feel they deserve a titleshot right now. Nate had his,guys like Okami,Bisping,Maia should be next in line.

Jason 16
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't doubt that marquardt wouldn't be able to get some gnp in, but maia will either reverse him or lock something up, his bjj is just that good

thats not what I was getting at if some one like herman was able to get some gnp in than some one like marquardt should be able to keep it standing

atomdanger
02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I say nate would take maia because if you look at the ed herman fight, most people count him as a b level fighter with good bjj and he was able to give him problems and get some good gnp in. so if you take a A level fighter with great bjj and and strikeing that went from a c- to an A-/A I just see him not being able to take nate down and if he does a little bit of gnp than stand up and own him on his feet. sonnon lost becuse he seemed content rolling with him

Ehh Sonnen did not lose because he seemed content rolling,
Sonnen got swept because he was pinned against the cage, then got put in a slick triangle.

They weren't rolling when the action started.
Also, Herman was only his second UFC fight, and he finished him before the end of the second.

Krupp
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't see how anyone can put Nate ahead of Maia in the title picture. Marquardt has only won two fights in a row now; he couldn't even handle Leites. Maia's won five straight, and he's finished every single one of them. To even consider Nate better than Maia is just stupid.

I think Maia would beat him, straight up. How, I don't know, but either by decision or submission for sure. Nate's good, but I don't think he's ready to fight for a title yet. If he was to beat Maia or someone similar, then maybe I'd give him one. He hasn't done enough in my opinion.

atomdanger
02-23-2009, 02:03 AM
I've felt Nate was over rated since he came to the UFC.

He won 4 fights to get his title shot,
The only one he managed to finish was Crafton Wallace.

I don't know why everybody felt he was going to be the guy to topple Silva.

GroundNPound
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM

It isn't like Nate's fight with Anderson was a war, or super close or something,

But who has Maia fought? He needs to fight a top fighter first.

Let Nate and Maia fight and winner gets the shot.

I think Nate TKOs him BTW.

rockdawg21
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
There's no doubt that Maia's BJJ is one of the best in the world, and probably the best of all MW's in the world, but to get a shot at Silva, he needs to beat a top 10. IMO, Nate vs. Maia, winner faces Yushin Okami, that winner gets Silva.

EDIT, just found out that Okami gets the winner of Silva/Leites.

Krupp
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
There's no doubt that Maia's BJJ is one of the best in the world, and probably the best of all MW's in the world, but to get a shot at Silva, he needs to beat a top 10. IMO, Nate vs. Maia, winner faces Yushin Okami, that winner gets Silva.

Why? When was the last time Okami fought, against Tanner? Seriously? This is dumb. I'd rather Nate fights Silva than Okami right now, but Maia has dibs before either of those two.

rockdawg21
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Why? When was the last time Okami fought, against Tanner? Seriously? This is dumb. I'd rather Nate fights Silva than Okami right now, but Maia has dibs before either of those two.
Okami was supposed to fight Silva at UFC 90, but broke his hand during training, that's why Cote was given the shot. Okami fought at UFC 92 and with that victory, was guaranteed a title shot by Dana.

Okami is 7-1 in the UFC with his only loss being a decision to Rich Franklin. He has since won 3 fights in a row.

Jonlion
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
And dont forget, they need opponents for Anderson, make them all fight eachother and the'll only be one option left!

Jason 16
02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't see how anyone can put Nate ahead of Maia in the title picture. Marquardt has only won two fights in a row now; he couldn't even handle Leites. Maia's won five straight, and he's finished every single one of them. To even consider Nate better than Maia is just stupid.

I think Maia would beat him, straight up. How, I don't know, but either by decision or submission for sure. Nate's good, but I don't think he's ready to fight for a title yet. If he was to beat Maia or someone similar, then maybe I'd give him one. He hasn't done enough in my opinion.

I NEVER SAID THAT I only put nat ahead of maia if they fight GOD!

Jason 16
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
But who has Maia fought? He needs to fight a top fighter first.

Let Nate and Maia fight and winner gets the shot.

I think Nate TKOs him BTW.

thank you that is why I brought ed herman up becuse most people dont think much about him and he realy gave him problems and nate quarry was the best person he has fought and thats just a bad match up for nate.

Jason 16
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

what about Rousimar Palhares might not be better in bjj (but might be) but he is a better fighter as a whole in my opinon

atomdanger
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Its in his contract.

So they have to honor it.

atomdanger
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
thank you that is why I brought ed herman up becuse most people dont think much about him and he realy gave him problems and nate quarry was the best person he has fought and thats just a bad match up for nate.

I don't know about that.

I think it was over confidence.

talked to a friend who trains with Nate Quarry and he said that they had no worries about Maia's ground game and Nate felt like he could beat Maia anywhere.

Krupp
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I NEVER SAID THAT I only put nat ahead of maia if they fight GOD!

GOD > any MMA champion in the world hahaha...

Jason 16
02-24-2009, 01:14 AM
:unsure-1: :no: I dint mean that

atomdanger
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM

Fedor > God by armbar.

:Whistle:

Krupp
02-24-2009, 02:04 AM
I DEMAND PROOF OF THIS

atomdanger
02-24-2009, 02:07 AM
http://mixedmartialarts.blogg.se/images/2008/fedor-armbars-god_13773170.gif

Spiritwalker
02-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Nate is a great fighter.. but I have to agree with you.. Would it bother me if the UFC gave him a shot before Damien.. nope.. but I wouldn't mind seeing Maia get the fight first either.

Krupp
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
http://mixedmartialarts.blogg.se/images/2008/fedor-armbars-god_13773170.gif

I just had to see it again haha.

billwilliams70
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you atomdanger!!!!!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

Saying that Marquardt gets a shot at the MW title before Maia is the same as saying that Rampage gets a shot at the LHW before Machida does.

Very similar circumstances. Rampage has one win since his last loss and Machida is 6-0 in the UFC, minus the impressive "crowd pleasing" wins.

Later.

GroundNPound
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you atomdanger!!!!!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

Saying that Marquardt gets a shot at the MW title before Maia is the same as saying that Rampage gets a shot at the LHW before Machida does.

Very similar circumstances. Rampage has one win since his last loss and Machida is 6-0 in the UFC, minus the impressive "crowd pleasing" wins.

Later.

And who has Maia fought? B level fighters. He needs to step it up before he gets a shot at Silva.

Nate vs Maia for the spot.

Nate TKOs him IMO.

atomdanger
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
And who has Maia fought? B level fighters. He needs to step it up before he gets a shot at Silva.

Nate TKOs him IMO.

Nate did beat 2 tough guys, but he really only put one away impressively.
He didn't look amazing against Wilson or anything, he backed up a lot,
and won because Wilson was completely gassed.

Maia has been putting people away.

atomdanger
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM

Later.

Yeah exactly, hopefully Rampage doesn't get a shot before Machida

Jason 16
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Ill just repeat my self once more I did not make this thread to argue marquardt getting a title shot.

Hughes_GOAT
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Dana already has Rampage lined up for the title shot if he beats Jardine.

bj44
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM

Later.
differnce is Ramage was champ unlike marquardt and some people even question the decision in the firrest fight. Alot of people even wanted an immediate rematch between them. Compare that to Nate who got ran through in the first round by silva.

GroundNPound
02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Nate did beat 2 tough guys, but he really only put one away impressively.
He didn't look amazing against Wilson or anything, he backed up a lot,
and won because Wilson was completely gassed.

Maia has been putting people away.

Nate finished a tough fighter and I think the end was pretty nice. I'm not even saying Nate should get it but Maia hasn't fought enough to warrant it. Nate vs Maia for the shot. Makes sense to me.

bradwright
02-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Nate finished a tough fighter and I think the end was pretty nice. I'm not even saying Nate should get it but Maia hasn't fought enough to warrant it. Nate vs Maia for the shot. Makes sense to me.
if it makes sense to you then it makes sense to me,,:)

billwilliams70
02-25-2009, 04:08 AM

Nate TKOs him IMO.
Who has Machida fought?

Are you saying he's fought top caliber opponents?

He fought Tito Ortiz who doesn't care about fighting anymore, it's all about the business.

Rampage was the champ, and he lost; that's not an automatic qualifier to be in line for the title.....what happens should Jardine beat Rampage? Does Jardine then deserve the title shot because he beat the man that White/Silva thinks is the number one contender?

All I'm saying is that the same argument that's made for Machida fighting FOR the LHW title is virtually the same as Maia fighting FOR the MW title.

Later.

Hughes_GOAT
02-25-2009, 04:21 AM
the UFC doesn't have any logic to how they determine who gets title shots. some guys come in and win 1 fight and get a shot, others win 6 and get nothing.

billwilliams70
02-25-2009, 04:36 AM
the UFC doesn't have any logic to how they determine who gets title shots. some guys come in and win 1 fight and get a shot, others win 6 and get nothing.
That is my point exactly.

Later.

Tyburn
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Maia should fight for the Title IMHO.

Forget Marquardt

Hughes_GOAT
04-30-2009, 05:42 AM
I don't know about that.

I think it was over confidence.

talked to a friend who trains with Nate Quarry and he said that they had no worries about Maia's ground game and Nate felt like he could beat Maia anywhere.
no worries!?

VCURamFan
04-30-2009, 05:46 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/DigeratiPrime/holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Jason 16
04-30-2009, 07:44 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/DigeratiPrime/holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
LOL:laugh: