PDA

View Full Version : The Kimbo Nice tale featuring Matt Hughes and Robbie Lawler

mikthehick
02-22-2009, 06:49 AM
So I was going to tack onto a Ram's Tale, but I'm not a Ram, I'm a Cavalier....anyway.....

I started off today getting up to go to a benefit that the new MMA gym in Charlottesville did to support the Family and Social Services. We had a BUNCH of kids come and learn about lessons from the firemen, police, and soldiers in our area. Plus some of the fighters did some demos on the mat for the kids--I'll try to get pictures up here soon of that.

Just to say, it went REALLY well and I think the social services really benefited from the exposure in the Central VA area. Plus that kids were super cute and I had an awesome time figuring out how to print stuff and set up the network :)

I got home at 2, and was pretty tired, but logged on here and has 3 pm's asking if I was going to go up to DC to see the UWC fights. I was not going to go since I've got 21 pages to write for my class, homework for my weeklong class that's due in two weeks, and a boatload of other stuff. Since sleep is for losers, I decided to just chuck the stuff in the car and was out the door by 210.

So I drove up to my parent's house, said hi to the dog, left, and called up Ben (VCURamfan). Since I suck at getting directions, I had to call the poor chap about 6 times to get to the Panera, (no joke). Within a few minutes, Dave (Spirit walker) and his buddy Ryan were there with us.

We got to the Patriot center, and i was about to go home, defeated about not meeting Matt. But we meet up with TexasRN and Jeff Crow, and I decided to buy a ticket anyway. Took some pictures, and into the fights we went. (Ben did go on a field trip and got matt's fighter lanyard, which was super awesome!)

This was BY FAR the best 35 dollars I've spent so far on a show. It was extremely professional, well done, and not cheesy at all. All the fights were amazing, and Dave, the owner of my gym and one of my instructors and good friends, asked to fill him in. So I txted him about stuff the entire show. Also figured out how to record video on my piece of crap camera. I got some really good vids of the fights.

Even though the HIT Squad guys lost, they put up amazing fights. Whisper was taken down by a textbook knee from his opponent and Justin fought great his whole fight, not tapping until the end of the third round with about 70 seconds left on the clock. Felice lost by a split decision, which was complete doggy doo, but whatever she fought awesome. I want a Catfightmma tshirt now :)

The really great thing was seeing the utmost respect of all the fighters for each other. There wasn't really any crap shown between them.

While i didn't actually get to talk to Matt himself, just seeing him in action as the awes. coach that he is was enough for now. I can't wait to see him fight Serra in Vegas.

So moral of the story, if you had to chose between 21 pages of writing or seeing some fights featuring your favorite fighter,

chose the fights and your friends. Sleep is so overated and memories are so much more important than grades :wink:

ADD ON: The best news of the night was Kyle, a guy from the VA MMAI Harrisonburg branch won his fight by TKO. Pretty awesome and Rick, the owner was really excited about that. So the MMAI's of VA are right on track this year, two wins last weekend and a win this weekend :D

Josh
02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a blast.

Chuck
02-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Since sleep is for losers, I decided to just chuck the stuff in the car and was out the door by 210.

Hey!!!!! Watch the language sister!!!! :punch:

Spiritwalker
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I couldn't agree more. The card was very well run. With the exception of the intermission.. but that is more a me thing than a problem with the production.

Invading the VIP room was cool. Was walking up to Amy and Jeff and I turned to the left just a bit.. and there Matt was. I was in awe a bit. Was really cool, and he was much "bigger" in person, really broad chest and such. I mean we have all seen Matt on TV multiple times, street clothes, formal pictures, goofing off. But the TV doesn't really give you the complete impression.

My watching him for a few minutes with fans, "real fans" and others.. was super cool. Nothing other than what I expected really. Was talking, snapping pics, shaking hands..

When I called down to him, no I seriously don't think he recognized me from any forum picture, but it was an immediate smile.

I spoke to Robbie for just a quick second, telling him good luck, and he offered his hand. Very cool..

(Is it me.. or does he not look "ruthless" when he has hair?

Running into Marc at the concession was cool. I just said "Hey Marc, good luck on the fights tonight." And he seemed surprised that he was recognized.

More to come later.

mikthehick
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey!!!!! Watch the language sister!!!! :punch:

O hush :laugh:

I'll be honest with you guys, I don't remember writing a lot of that, but I'm so happy it was coherant! I left out a ton of memories, kinda feel like it was a dream, maybe a really nice dream....

Then I turned on my camera and it ALL happened! Granted I don't have boomer's ablility to tell stories and all (still waiting on one btw), but this will do.

How could I forget Marc Fiore???? I wasn't wearing my glasses, and Dave, Ryan and Ben were just walking and I froze, saying "omg it's Marc Fiore!!" We high fived, Dave and him shook hands, and he did look surprised to be recognized. It just shows that these guys are just regular people like you and I (except they are and train champion MMA fighters...), but anyway, the humility was pretty catching if you ask me.

After the fights, we were exiting and talking about MH and how awesome the experience was, and this lady shouts at me "I shook his hand! I SHOOK his hand!!!"

Wow.

And I didn't eat or drink for 12 hours before the fight. Promise, I didn't have a drop of alcohol in me. Maybe the memories are coming back slowly b/c it was really surreal, just everything was going on at the same time, the lateness and my lack of any planning (which is the usual these days), and being tired.

4 hours of sleep on Friday and 3 last night--but I did make it to church this am :cool:

I'm 5 pages into the 25 I need to write for my theory class, but thanks for reading this if you did.

This forum really is the best. I've made some great friends on here and it just goes to show the power of friendship and the characteristics that Matt retains in his life and shows as an example to the rest of us.

TexasRN
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm glad ya'll had a good time. It was great meeting you all even though we didn't hang out more.

~Amy

Tyburn
02-23-2009, 12:44 AM
ADD ON: The best news of the night was Kyle, a guy from the VA MMAI Harrisonburg branch won his fight by TKO. Pretty awesome and Rick, the owner was really excited about that. So the MMAI's of VA are right on track this year, two wins last weekend and a win this weekend :D

Wasnt he the guy that took out Levon Maynard...my support from suckerpunch :sad:

mikthehick
02-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Wasnt he the guy that took out Levon Maynard...my support from suckerpunch :sad:

Cry all you want Dave, he's from my gym and I stand behind my VA gym :) Have to.

Tyburn
02-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Cry all you want Dave, he's from my gym and I stand behind my VA gym :) Have to.
Levon is also from VA...and He's my support from Suckerpunch, I support them :) Have to :laugh:

Glad your guy won, but I perfer the other guy...I'm gonna meet him on Tour just like I'm gonna meet you :laugh:

Spiritwalker
02-23-2009, 01:20 AM
...I'm gonna meet him on Tour just like I'm gonna meet you :laugh:

Promise? Threat? Dream?

Tyburn
02-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Promise? Threat? Dream?
All Three :laugh:

Applicable to both of them :laugh: :laugh:

Spiritwalker
02-23-2009, 01:43 AM
All Three :laugh:

Applicable to both of them :laugh: :laugh:

Chill some.. you eager beaver...

Make sure you come this way also..

Tyburn
02-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Chill some.. you eager beaver...

Make sure you come this way also..
As a matter of fact I AM :laugh:

Great news...I now have nearly all the monies collected. I'll soon be able to start bookings :frantics:

hizo64
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Man you guys suck!! Im so jealous that cool stuff happens within easy driving distance! Im stuck over here in the middle of nowhere Southern NM where NOTHING happens!!!

VCURamFan
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Man you guys suck!! Im so jealous that cool stuff happens within easy driving distance! Im stuck over here in the middle of nowhere Southern NM where NOTHING happens!!!O, trust me, this is the first time something like this has happened! Before this, the closest Matt got was Columbus, OH!

Tyburn
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Is your Gym per chance The MMA Institute....you know a most dissagreeable man called Rick McCoy? because I've been hearing a great deal about how whoever was cornering your guy was rather...insulting, to the suckerpunch guy who lost...By all means be pleased with a win, but...well I'm sure you know my thoughts on camps and fighters with bad attitudes, I wont support them.

Theres one guy from that gym who says he's even re-thinking whether to be associated with the gym after the corner mans display.

http://www.suckerpunchent.com/fighter-news/maynard-uwc-update/

If thats your gym, I am suprised you stand by their actions....coz swearing at a fighter and rubbing his nose in the loss, the second it happens has to be one of the most unchristian things you can possibly do to a fighter....even if there is bad blood.

Course "cry all you want" isnt the nicest way to address a dissapointed fan, when your guy wins. Havent you and your guys heard of being Humble in Victory??

mikthehick
02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Is your Gym per chance The MMA Institute....you know a most dissagreeable man called Rick McCoy? because I've been hearing a great deal about how whoever was cornering your guy was rather...insulting, to the suckerpunch guy who lost...By all means be pleased with a win, but...well I'm sure you know my thoughts on camps and fighters with bad attitudes, I wont support them.

Theres one guy from that gym who says he's even re-thinking whether to be associated with the gym after the corner mans display.

http://www.suckerpunchent.com/fighter-news/maynard-uwc-update/

If thats your gym, I am suprised you stand by their actions....coz swearing at a fighter and rubbing his nose in the loss, the second it happens has to be one of the most unchristian things you can possibly do to a fighter....even if there is bad blood.

Course "cry all you want" isnt the nicest way to address a dissapointed fan, when your guy wins. Havent you and your guys heard of being Humble in Victory??

Ok Dave, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you over a misinterpretation of "cry all you want". It was a joke, and I'm sorry if you took it another way, but I had no intentions of demeaning you, Levon, or anyone when I said that. For that I'm sorry. If you took it personally, then I apologize. That's as sincere as I can make that :)

As for Rick, he's really good friends with Dave, the owner and head instructor at my gym. Dave is a pretty big Christian, he's a little rough, but he will never admit he's perfect and he's got a good character and a strong work ethic. Me and him were meeting last night and discussing how to get the gym off the ground, especially since we just moved to a bigger place. Boomer helped set up a ton of behind the scenes stuff at the gym, and the rest of us are trying to keep it afloat until more people sign up.

Rick basically runs the fight camp, MMAI, in VA in Richmond, Harrisonburg, Winchester, and Charlottesville. It's a large fight team. I've never met Rick, nor can I say how his character is, but I've heard he's pretty cool. As for actions, I also can't judge as I'm not perfect, and it's reasonably unfair in my opinion for people to judge what "may" have happened at an event you didn't attend. There was nothing but respect between the two fighters, Levon and Baker. They shook hands before and after the fight and hugged--I saw it, i was there, I even have a picture somewhere. Kyle Baker was nothing but humble and gracious in his post fight interview. So I don't know why you accuse the corner of being rough and tumble. Rick, from what I saw, looked happy--I didn't see any "bad blood" or swearing.

EDIT: I just read the blog of the fans that were there, and again, I didn't see how Rick acted. Most of the people were drunk near the floor, since they were stumbling over everything--I think that's usual at any live event. Rick does run the fight team, but each gym here has a separate owner from what I know. It just sucks that some people misinterpret stuff sometimes, and again, I don't personally know Rick, and I'm not going to stand up for any actions he displayed there. I'm more focused on helping the Charlottesville branch grow and keeping it feeling like the tight knit family it has become.

Matt. 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

So yeah, there's my thesis for the day.

I'm really upset that you think my fight camp is not humble and rubs victories in other people's faces--there are 4 gyms and they are all different, just under the McCoy name. That's is completely not what we are about. Every fight I've been to, they are gracious in defeat and honored when they win--definitely not like Mr. Serra and his actions. :rolleyes:

If anything, The HIT Squad is a model gym for what Dave wants to do to the Cville gym. You just wait and see. I really don't care either way if you support or even like the MMAI of VA. That's your opinion. But please please don't believe everything you read on the internet unless you were actually there. :cool:

Tyburn
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok Dave, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you over a misinterpretation of "cry all you want". It was a joke, and I'm sorry if you took it another way, but I had no intentions of demeaning you, Levon, or anyone when I said that. For that I'm sorry. If you took it personally, then I apologize. That's as sincere as I can make that :)

As for Rick, he's really good friends with Dave, the owner and head instructor at my gym. Dave is a pretty big Christian, he's a little rough, but he will never admit he's perfect and he's got a good character and a strong work ethic. Me and him were meeting last night and discussing how to get the gym off the ground, especially since we just moved to a bigger place. Boomer helped set up a ton of behind the scenes stuff at the gym, and the rest of us are trying to keep it afloat until more people sign up.

Rick basically runs the fight camp, MMAI, in VA in Richmond, Harrisonburg, Winchester, and Charlottesville. It's a large fight team. I've never met Rick, nor can I say how his character is, but I've heard he's pretty cool. As for actions, I also can't judge as I'm not perfect, and it's reasonably unfair in my opinion for people to judge what "may" have happened at an event you didn't attend. There was nothing but respect between the two fighters, Levon and Baker. They shook hands before and after the fight and hugged--I saw it, i was there, I even have a picture somewhere. Kyle Baker was nothing but humble and gracious in his post fight interview. So I don't know why you accuse the corner of being rough and tumble. Rick, from what I saw, looked happy--I didn't see any "bad blood" or swearing.

EDIT: I just read the blog of the fans that were there, and again, I didn't see how Rick acted. Most of the people were drunk near the floor, since they were stumbling over everything--I think that's usual at any live event. Rick does run the fight team, but each gym here has a separate owner from what I know. It just sucks that some people misinterpret stuff sometimes, and again, I don't personally know Rick, and I'm not going to stand up for any actions he displayed there. I'm more focused on helping the Charlottesville branch grow and keeping it feeling like the tight knit family it has become.

Matt. 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

So yeah, there's my thesis for the day.

I'm really upset that you think my fight camp is not humble and rubs victories in other people's faces--there are 4 gyms and they are all different, just under the McCoy name. That's is completely not what we are about. Every fight I've been to, they are gracious in defeat and honored when they win--definitely not like Mr. Serra and his actions. :rolleyes:

If anything, The HIT Squad is a model gym for what Dave wants to do to the Cville gym. You just wait and see. I really don't care either way if you support or even like the MMAI of VA. That's your opinion. But please please don't believe everything you read on the internet unless you were actually there. :cool:

My bone isnt with the fighters, its with Rick McCoy....As I understand it he represents the brand name of your gym, but not your specific gym? In which case, I guess thats alright, if you've never met him, and he doesnt really count in the day to day running of the specific gym, then you cant take a share of the blame for his bad character.

I speak privately to a number of those people, I'm not just reading something off the internet in the way it looks like. I posted the link because thats evidence I've not fabricated everything in a slandering effort....my knowledge goes deeper then a few comments you see on that page though.

Suckerpunch is the main reason I'm visiting Virginia on my States Tour, by cooincodence it happens to be a great Forum Hub aswell, but if I knew noone from this forum in the State, I would still be visiting Richmond Virginia.

I know that McCoy has a reputation for not exactly being the most humble person on the planet...but if he's just a brand name, like it sounds as if he is, I guess I can work past that to see the gyms themselves as separate identities.

So...I guess we are kewl after all :ashamed: when I heard about him I knew there must be some mistake, because I dont think you would condone his action anymore then myself...but I wanted to be sure...so forgive me for being so direct...but I didnt wanna beat about the bush...but just come out and say...look this guy has an attitude problem...whats his relationship to you, since you said that Kyle was from your gym

The HIT Squad is a good model to base things on. Hope you dont hate me for what I said. I know that Americans in general prefer the direct approach. We are still kewl right :huh:

mikthehick
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
We are still cool, Dave.

The gyms are separate, but just under the McCoy name. I'm going to remain neutral on Rick. I've never met him, like I said, but I'm not going to demean someone I don't know, except Matt Serra.

Don't stereotype Americans so easily, as quite a few do beat around the bush and try to cover stuff up.....

As for me, I'm really easy going and it really does take a lot to 'genuinely' piss me off. From the videos you've seen, that's just 'mildly' pissed and usually goes away quickly--in fact, most girls I know seem to do that.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, or Rick. It's about the great fights from Saturday, Matt, and Robbie. So carry on :cool:

Tyburn
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not going to demean someone I don't know, except Matt Serra.

:laugh: Good Call :laugh:

For me...its about Loyalty. I am rather Loyal to Suckerpunch, and Levon Maynard is my Favourite from them (not including Jens Pulver) So I am very Loyal to him. I dont like hearing that the Corner man from the winning team kicked him when he was down.

The fact Brian Butler makes no comment, is enough to convince me that it wasnt a figment of a few peoples imagination. Butler is like an American version of Emile Coleman...if they ever got together they'd understand each other perfectly, because they both have...the same kinda outlook towards both business and how you should treat people.

But...No hard feelings between you and me.

Glad you had a good time btw....but I do hope you managed to do all your papers aswell... :mellow:

County Mike
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Dave: Why do you think everyone should live up to YOUR standards? Some people have their own.

I'm not saying your standards are bad, just that quite a few people really won't care if they upset you. They'll happily go about life doing what they feel is right. Might be less stressful to you if you just accept that some people will have different standards.

Tyburn
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Dave: Why do you think everyone should live up to YOUR standards? Some people have their own.

I'm not saying your standards are bad, just that quite a few people really won't care if they upset you. They'll happily go about life doing what they feel is right. Might be less stressful to you if you just accept that some people will have different standards.
I try to base my standards on what is morally right and wrong. I base my Morals on Scripture, which isnt "what I feel is right" its actually what IS right, independant of what I or anyone else says or feels. Its called an Absolute. Its Correct, always has been and always will be.

Its obviously wrong to rub someones nose in a loss, if you happen to be the cornerman of the triumphant opponent... does anyone want to despute that? It is not Humble, it is not showing love to another, its not treating another how you'd like to be treated. Its prideful, its boastful. Its wrong. Now if you dissagree with me, you should know I dont make the rules, I'm just telling you what they are. If you dissagree..thats up to you...but I wont sit by and pamper you

There is this warped and twisted view going around that Moral Relativity actually exists. It doesnt...and for those of us who know what the Truth is, we should battle against those others who "go about life doing what they feel is right"

Am I perfect? No...but I will never, ever be silent on what I see is an injustice against someone I am loyal to.

County Mike
02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I try to base my standards on what is morally right and wrong. I base my Morals on Scripture, which isnt "what I feel is right" its actually what IS right, independant of what I or anyone else says or feels. Its called an Absolute. Its Correct, always has been and always will be.

Its obviously wrong to rub someones nose in a loss, if you happen to be the cornerman of the triumphant opponent... does anyone want to despute that? It is not Humble, it is not showing love to another, its not treating another how you'd like to be treated. Its prideful, its boastful. Its wrong. Now if you dissagree with me, you should know I dont make the rules, I'm just telling you what they are. If you dissagree..thats up to you...but I wont sit by and pamper you

There is this warped and twisted view going around that Moral Relativity actually exists. It doesnt...and for those of us who know what the Truth is, we should battle against those others who "go about life doing what they feel is right"

Am I perfect? No...but I will never, ever be silent on what I see is an injustice against someone I am loyal to.

Actually, I'm not even sure why I wrote that. I was just in a pissy mood and your post happened to be the last one I read when I felt like lashing out. I know you're a good guy. I just see a lot of people being judgemental and let it get to me. I don't necessarily agree with what the cornerman actions. I was more implying the accusation of Kim supporting such people. Maybe I misunderstood something. I apologize.

Tyburn
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Actually, I'm not even sure why I wrote that. I was just in a pissy mood and your post happened to be the last one I read when I felt like lashing out. I know you're a good guy. I just see a lot of people being judgemental and let it get to me. I don't necessarily agree with what the cornerman actions. I was more implying the accusation of Kim supporting such people. Maybe I misunderstood something. I apologize.
:ashamed: It okay, dont worry about it. I cant say my Response lived up to my own standards...so perhaps you have just inadvertantly prooved your point :laugh: