PDA

View Full Version : Jens Pulver Says He's Not Retired Yet

VCURamFan
05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Jens+Pulver/) knows why people think he should retire.

"I'm 34 years old and lost five fights in a row," Pulver said on HDNet's Inside MMA.

But Pulver, who's still probably the second-most popular fighter in World Extreme Cagefighting even though he has only one victory in the promotion (his WEC debut in 2007), says he's not yet ready to say he's finished in MMA.

"I'll never retire," Pulver said. "I just want to ride off into the sunset and be left alone. I'm never going to make one of those big speeches. ... I'm not going to retire and say I'm done because you're never done ... I'm never going to be done with this sport so for me there's no reason to say I'm retired."

Pulver knows that some people say he should retire for his own safety, but he says he hasn't been knocked unconscious and therefore doesn't believe it would be dangerous for him to step back into the cage.

"I guess No. 1, I look at it as how have I lost them? No doctors waking me up, no smelling salt, it ain't five minutes later and I'm on a gurney. I'm getting caught in submissions. I'm in wars with guys like Urijah Faber," Pulver said. "I would like to continue. Physically, I feel great."

Still, Pulver sounded like a man who knows the end of his career is near, even if he's not ready to say it's here.

"You never really think about the end, when it's going to be and how it's going to happen," Pulver said. "It's been an incredible run and it's been a fun ride."

Tyburn
05-09-2010, 11:37 AM
:laugh:

He's retired, until someone lets him fight again, then he'll fight again, until they tell him he cant...again

:laugh:

I think though he's not disconteted...its not like he's quit WEC and run to as many little and crap organizations as possible to get a fight fix...I think what he means is, he'll never rule out active competition with WEC/UFC...its called keeping your options open.

cubsfan47
05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I like him as a commentator for the WEC fights. While Mir does a decent job too, he comes across as a "stuffed shirt". Jens is a regular guy.

que
05-10-2010, 01:37 AM
in my humble opinion, he needs to NEVER fight again. he just can't keep doing this to me.

because as he said after his last loss, while crying, "I JUST CAN'T KEEP DOING THIS TO YOU GUYS! I CAN'T KEEP BREAKING YOUR HEART LIKE THIS"

jens, retire. stop doing this to me and stop breaking my heart. STOP BREAKING MY HEART. STOP DOING THIS TO ME.

i believe there is a big difference between still trying to challenge yourself realistically (matt hughes is a good example of someone who does this... because as some fans think he may be over the hill... he keeps proving that he can still compete with top fighters).... and simply being selfish and keep going for the sole purpose of trying to prove something to yourself when you are too blind to realize that you are DONE (jens pulver)

how would 6 losses in a row look? then he would probably having another crying post-fight speech, and say how he can't keep doing this to us. but then he would probably fight AGAIN, losing for a SEVENTH time in a row. and then another crying speech. and then lose for an EIGHTH time in a row. and keep going as long as zuffa keeps letting him (which they obviously have no desire to force him out if they keep letting him fight after FIVE one sided, brutal losses in a row)

i know this may sound harsh but i am a jens pulver fan, and quite honestly he is really starting to annoy me with his post fight speeches and his lack of logic to know that he should have retired long ago. his post fight, emotional, crying speeches are always exactly the same after every loss now. they almost sound cliche, and scripted, to the point where instead of making me feel emotional, it makes me annoyed.

Tyburn
05-10-2010, 03:12 AM
in my humble opinion, he needs to NEVER fight again. he just can't keep doing this to me.

because as he said after his last loss, while crying, "I JUST CAN'T KEEP DOING THIS TO YOU GUYS! I CAN'T KEEP BREAKING YOUR HEART LIKE THIS"

jens, retire. stop doing this to me and stop breaking my heart. STOP BREAKING MY HEART. STOP DOING THIS TO ME.

i believe there is a big difference between still trying to challenge yourself realistically (matt hughes is a good example of someone who does this... because as some fans think he may be over the hill... he keeps proving that he can still compete with top fighters).... and simply being selfish and keep going for the sole purpose of trying to prove something to yourself when you are too blind to realize that you are DONE (jens pulver)

how would 6 losses in a row look? then he would probably having another crying post-fight speech, and say how he can't keep doing this to us. but then he would probably fight AGAIN, losing for a SEVENTH time in a row. and then another crying speech. and then lose for an EIGHTH time in a row. and keep going as long as zuffa keeps letting him (which they obviously have no desire to force him out if they keep letting him fight after FIVE one sided, brutal losses in a row)

i know this may sound harsh but i am a jens pulver fan, and quite honestly he is really starting to annoy me with his post fight speeches and his lack of logic to know that he should have retired long ago. his post fight, emotional, crying speeches are always exactly the same after every loss now. they almost sound cliche, and scripted, to the point where instead of making me feel emotional, it makes me annoyed.

dont read to much into it, until you actually hear of a match being planned. IF a match is ever planned.