PDA

View Full Version : Immigrant who turned in officer fights deportation

Spiritwalker
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Thoughts on this?

http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/625539/immigrant-who-turned-in-cmpd-officer-fights-deportation

Should he be deported?

CHARLOTTE -- An illegal immigrant is fighting deportation after, according to his attorney, he was falsely arrested while trying to stop a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer from sexually assaulting his girlfriend.

Abel Moreno, a Mexican native, was in court for a deportation hearing Thursday morning. Earlier this year, his actions helped land Marcus Jackson in jail on charges of groping multiple women while on the job.

Moreno says Jackson pulled his girlfriend over at an east Charlotte apartment complex and sexually assaulted her.

"I thought, ‘is there something I can do to help her’ because I didn't think she needed to be alone and be there without me to protect her," he said.

As Moreno called police, Jackson could be heard in the background ordering him to get off the phone. Jackson arrested Moreno.

"I didn't do anything wrong,” Moreno said. “I just tried to protect someone who needed help."

Because of the 287g program, which allows authorities to begin deportation proceedings on any inmate in the U.S. illegally, Moreno now has to convince the government to let him stay.

"I don't think I have to go back because I'm not a criminal, I'm not a delinquent, I'm not a drug dealer," he said. "I'm the only person who's able to provide for my family and my sister is very small and she needs me, she needs to study, she needs to go to school, I'll fight this for her, not for me."

Moreno’s attorney, Rob Heroy, is asking for a victim's visa because he's an integral part of the Jackson case.

"In those cases, they will sometimes give visas that will allow someone to stay here temporarily," he said.

When asked if he would take the same actions to help his girlfriend, knowing now what he's going through, Moreno didn't hesitate to answer, “yes, absolutely yes.”

Moreno's call to police is credited with setting off the investigation that led to Jackson's arrest. The former officer is in jail awaiting trial.

In all, six women have come forward in the Jackson case.

Spiritwalker
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
"I don't think I have to go back because I'm not a criminal, I'm not a delinquent, I'm not a drug dealer," he said. "I'm the only person who's able to provide for my family and my sister is very small and she needs me, she needs to study, she needs to go to school, I'll fight this for her, not for me." - Says it all as to his mentality of the immigration issue to me.

rearnakedchoke
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
sucks, but if he is not there legally, he should be deported ... there are legal ways to be in the US, so if he can do it that way, he should ..

VCURamFan
05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
sucks, but if he is not there legally, he should be deported ... there are legal ways to be in the US, so if he can do it that way, he should ..
This.

Everyone seems to act as though the word "illegal" somehow doesn't matter in the case of immigration. :faint:

NateR
05-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Give him a temporary visa until the court case against this police officer is over with, then put him on a fast track to becoming a citizen. Or, if this girlfriend that he cares so much about is a US citizen, then why not just marry her? That would solve the whole problem, because he wouldn't be able to be deported and would then have time to apply for citizenship.

If he is not willing to become a naturalized US citizen, then deport him.

VCURamFan
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Give him a temporary visa until the court case against this police officer is over with, then put him on a fast track to becoming a citizen. Or, if this girlfriend that he cares so much about is a US citizen, then why not just marry her? That would solve the whole problem, because he wouldn't be able to be deported and would then have time to apply for citizenship.

I find no fault with this reasoning. I hereby revoke my "This" from RNC's post & add it here:

This :happydancing:

Tyburn
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
"I don't think I have to go back because I'm not a criminal,

You are not a Citizen, therefore, you are either a Criminal, OR, someone who shouldnt BY LAW be in the country :laugh:

If you want to provide for your family....apply for a visa, or citizenship, or whatever it is that would allow you to enter and NOT be a Criminal :rolleyes:

rockdawg21
05-10-2010, 03:46 AM
If he's paying his taxes (and speaking English which the article implies he is), he's doing the same thing as every other citizen in the U.S then I don't see any reason for him to leave. I'd of crossed the border too if I were in his situation.

Bonnie
05-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Sound reasoning. Too bad we can't deport that creep who was using his badge to commit sexual assualt. :punch: