PDA

View Full Version : Some serious BS here (Kids can't wear Red,White,Blue on Cinco de Mayo)

County Mike
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.ktvu.com/news/23470391/detail.html

MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Five students at a South Bay high school stirred up some controversy Wednesday for wearing t-shirts depicting red, white and blue American flags on Cinco de Mayo.

School officials at Live Oak High in Morgan Hill told the students they had to go home if they wouldn’t turn the shirts inside out.

One of the students said it appeared school administrators were worried the patriotic shirts could trigger fights.

Some students at Live Oak High in Morgan Hill said others were planning to come to school Thursday wearing red, white and blue.

Four of the five students who wore American flags or patriotic colors on campus walked into a meeting with the superintendent of the Morgan Hill unified school district Wednesday night.

They were facing unexcused absences because they chose to go home early rather than take off what they were wearing.

“We knew it was Cinco de Mayo. But we just came to show our flag,” said student Dominic Maciel. “We didn't mean anything by it. We didn't want to start anything. Nothing like that.”

Student Anthony Caravalho was also sent home for not turning his shirt inside out.

“They said we had to wear our t-shirts inside out and then we could go back to class and we said no,” said Caravalho. “It would be disrespectful to the flag by hiding it.”

Daniel Galli, another student who was reprimanded for wearing a US flag, described what he was told by school administration.

“He said 'If you wear it on any other day, it’s fine; but just because it's today you can't wear it,'” Galli said. “His exact words.”

Galli said he was told it was inappropriate to wear the shirt because “it's supposed to be a Mexican Day and we were supposed to honor them.”

The boys said it was unfair because some students were wearing Mexican colors Wednesday.

“We're not mad that they wore their stuff,” said student Galli. “But we're mad that we were asked to change our stuff, but they could still wear their stuff.”

Caravalho also felt the action was unfair.

“I would have taken my stuff off if they had taken their stuff off too,” he said.

Some Mexican-American students KTVU spoke with said they thought wearing red, white and blue on Cinco de Mayo was disrespectful.

“It's just kinda disrespectful that they would do that on this day,” said student Victoria Wright. “I mean, we don't go around on 4th of July wearing red white and green and saying ‘Viva Mexico,’ because that's disrespectful.”

One student showed us a Mexican flag belt buckle he wore Wednesday. He disagreed with the way the American flag-wearing kids were treated.

“I think it was kind of going overboard with the suspension, but it's also kind of disrespectful because it's our day,” said student Sal Orona.

Dominic Maciel said his father is of Mexican descent.

“I have no problem with them wearing their Mexican stuff, their Mexican flags,” said Maciel. “I just thought I'd show my pride. American pride.”

The school district Wednesday issued a statement which read: “The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Shoots like a girl
05-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Thats kinda messed up! I have some mexican friends that work at my favorite mexican resturant and he told me that Cinco de Mayo really isnt a big deal in Mexico that the Americans actually blew this thing up and commercialized it. That doesnt sound like something we would do at all! LOL!

J.B.
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Thats kinda messed up! I have some mexican friends that work at my favorite mexican resturant and he told me that Cinco de Mayo really isnt a big deal in Mexico that the Americans actually blew this thing up and commercialized it. That doesnt sound like something we would do at all! LOL!

It's just another excuse for people to get drunk, like St. Patty's Day. :laugh:

Shoots like a girl
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
It's just another excuse for people to get drunk, like St. Patty's Day. :laugh:

Thats what I thought too

VCURamFan
05-06-2010, 03:46 PM
This is just another example of a government official beign terrified of a possible repurcussion & overreacting against the percieved threat. It's absolutely ridiculous, but it's not uncommon.

Silverback
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
This is just another example of a government official beign terrified of a possible repurcussion & overreacting against the percieved threat. It's absolutely ridiculous, but it's not uncommon.

I wished I had a way to sign that picture for you, your going to make me famous!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

VCURamFan
05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I wished I had a way to sign that picture for you, your going to make me famous!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:
Hahaha, happy to do it! I figured it was about time people stopped asking "Silver who?" :Whistle: :laugh:

Bonnie
05-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Total BS!

I can understand Mexican Americans being proud of their Mexican history, but, this concerns a battle fought in Mexico (Battle of Puebla in 1862), not America. Those kids had every right to wear their t-shirts with red, white and blue. This should have been a non-issue. I can see a community celebration, but not "national" unofficial or not. And I definitely don't understand the White House celebrating this as a "holiday".

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/05/cinco-de-mayo.html

News from Latin America and the Caribbean
« Previous Post | La Plaza Home | Next Post »

On Cinco de Mayo, a 'ridiculous' U.S. holiday (May 5, 2010/1:20 pm)

If you're in the United States, May 5 is an unofficial national holiday. Countless house parties, cultural festivals and bar specials will honor Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday commemorating the Battle of Puebla in 1862, in which Mexican defenders beat back a powerful invading army from France.

But if you're in Mexico, today is ... Que? It's a holiday?

Among the many contradictions and ironies of Mexican-U.S. relations is the curious case of Cinco de Mayo. It is a holiday in Mexico, yes, but not nearly as important to the national identity as say, Independence Day (Sept. 16). Yet Cinco de Mayo remains a stubbornly prevalent excuse to party in the U.S., perhaps, some argue, because it is more culturally "safe" than honoring Mexico's independence. The phenomenon is similar to the affection Americans have for St. Patrick's Day, where just about everyone is invited to don green and get in touch with their inner Irish.

Almost 140 years after the Battle of Puebla, Cinco de Mayo is so ingrained in the U.S. consciousness that even the White House celebrates it. And this year, so will the Phoenix Suns. The basketball pros will take the court in a Western Conference semifinal game against the San Antonio Spurs wearing "Los Suns" on their jerseys.

For his part, columnist and author Gustavo Arellano, has had it with Cinco de Mayo. Calling for an end to the "ridiculous" celebration in the U.S., Arellano writes at the OC Weekly:

Many people regard Cinco de Mayo as a celebration of resistance to imperial power. If only that were so. The events of that day didn't prohibit the French from turning Mexico into their Latin American playground. Mexicans taste the French legacy every morning in their pan dulce and tortas. Teenagers listlessly practice it in quinceañera waltzes. Men yelp their approval to our French conquerors whenever the mariachi violins begin their pizzicato coda.

Read the whole piece here.

But what's your take? Will you have a regular old Wednesday today or dig into a chic new margarita recipe and a plate of piping-hot nachos? (Which, by the way, are almost unknown in Mexico!)

-- Daniel Hernandez in Mexico City

Miss Foxy
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM

True. Its really only the celebration of when Mexico won it's Independence from France the battle of Puebla. It's pretty much an excuse to drink...

Miss Foxy
05-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I wish at times like this I could actually go and speak to the kids. The Mexicans yes this is a day in our heritage, however for the idiots that try to make it like its some holy day for Mexicans I would set them straight.
For the other kids I would tell them there's no need to get upset that no one is denying America anything and welcome to celebrate with some chips n salsa, enchiladas, rice, and beans.. Then make em all be happy. Oh and tell the school officials they are full of cow crap...:wink:

Spiritwalker
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
If my kids want to wear clothing that conforms to existing school policies..

and THEN the schools want to tell the schools that they can't on a specific day... They better have a damn good reason.

And that is not reason enough.

Just because it is another nations holiday, doesn't mean that we (they in this case) can't/shouldn't wear flag t-shirts.. or the American colors.

"Wheee.. whoopee... throw a party".. have all the fun you want to.. regarding the Mexican Independance.. but don't tell my kids what they can't wear just cause it's that day.

When the day comes that I am told.. or my family is told "You can't wear American colors on another nation's holiday".. Then I will join the lawsuit happy Americans.

And do my best to get whatever liberial democrate out of whatever offices I can.

On the other side of the coin..

America has corrupted just about ever other nations holiday to have Car Sales, excuses to drink, and other non-sense (in relation to the event)..

I was really embarressed when I heard on the radio yesterday...

"Let's celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Cinco de Drinko--- half priced margaritas at "Jim Bob's eat and Puke"...

MattHughesRocks
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I saw this on the news last night and at first, I didn't even understand what they were saying because it seemed so far out.Then I was disgusted. Then I laughed.

flo
05-06-2010, 06:13 PM

I think St. Patrick's Day is celebrated WAAAAY more here than in Ireland so he could have something there.

Either way, that is just unbelievable, I hope FNC picks up on it so the school gets some well-deserved heat. :angry:

County Mike
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
What's wrong with "Cinco de Drinko". 5 of drinks. More than I usually drink but to each their own. As long as they're not driving.

:)

I'll gladly have nachos and margaritas on May 5th. I'll gladly drink a Guinness on St. Patricks Day. I'll gladly wear an American shirt while doing both.

Spiritwalker
05-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I'll gladly have nachos and margaritas on May 5th. I'll gladly drink a Guinness on St. Patricks Day. I'll gladly wear an American shirt while doing both.

I am with you on that!

Shoots like a girl
05-06-2010, 08:53 PM
What's wrong with "Cinco de Drinko". 5 of drinks. More than I usually drink but to each their own. As long as they're not driving.

:)

Im with you! I will happily celebrate those foreign/american holidays but theres no reason we cant do that and still be proud of our own heritage.....ugh will someone just vote me into DC so I can straighten all this sh*t out please? :punch:

Rev
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Im with you! I will happily celebrate those foreign/american holidays but theres no reason we cant do that and still be proud of our own heritage.....ugh will someone just vote me into DC so I can straighten all this sh*t out please? :punch:
the only way I will vote for you is if I get to be your spiritual advisor/"minister" of defense. If you can promise me that, I will vote for you.:wink:
we could fix alot of crap.

Shoots like a girl
05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
the only way I will vote for you is if I get to be your spiritual advisor/"minister" of defense. If you can promise me that, I will vote for you.:wink:

Youre hired! :)

Rev
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Shoots like a Girl in 2012!!!!!!!
Gonna change not only the lives of Americans but the lives of illegal immigrants at the same time.

Shoots like a girl
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Shoots like a Girl in 2012!!!!!!!
Gonna change not only the lives of Americans but the lives of illegal immigrants at the same time.

ROFL! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Ha! You guys have my vote.

Play The Man
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm wondering if this school is in a high-crime, gang-infested area. Some gangs adopt sports team memorabilia for their gang colors. If this school has gang violence troubles they may have been trying to prevent gang fights based upon "colors". In any case, it is pathetic that we are in this state of affairs.

flo
05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
That's a good thought, PTM, but Principal Rodriguez told the students they could wear the American flag any other day, but not on the 5th of May.
And they were all wearing clothing that displayed the flag, not just the "colors" that could be gang-related.

flo
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm proud of them.

NateR
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I honestly can't even comment on this thread, this situation angers me so badly. It's hard to believe that our nation has sunk to this point.

And why does it not surprise me that this school principal's last name is Rodriguez?

Chuck
05-06-2010, 11:25 PM
What a bunch of bull****! I can't believe some people are that spineless.

The day somebody tells me I can't wear patriotic colors is the day I get thrown in jail for assault and battery.

I hope that school "official" gets fired.

Bonnie
05-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I honestly can't even comment on this thread, this situation angers me so badly. It's hard to believe that our nation has sunk to this point.

And why does it not surprise me that this school principal's last name is Rodriguez?

It's okay for people to wave around foreign flags in defense of breaking a federal law and in protest of that law, for foreign residents (legal or not) to burn the American flag in protest (this happened on the university campus of my hometown), and to tell school kids they are not allowed to wear America's colors on Cinco de Mayo day and punish them if they dare to do so. :angry:

What the hell is wrong with this picture! :mad0233:

rockdawg21
05-07-2010, 02:43 AM
It's a double-standard...The school's being racist to those kids of Portuguese/Brazil (Maciel & Carvalho) and Italian (Galli) descent.

NateR
05-07-2010, 02:51 AM
It's a double-standard...The school's being racist to those kids of Portuguese/Brazil (Maciel & Carvalho) and Italian (Galli) descent.

Mexican people are allowed to be racists. Didn't you get the memo?

Of course, white people can't even acknowledge the existence of the concept of race, much less show any sort of pride in their own heritage, without being vilified for it.

flo
05-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Of course, white people can't even acknowledge the existence of the concept of race, much less show any sort of pride in their own heritage, without being vilified for it.

Well said, Nate; isn't that a pitiful state of affairs? I think the same thing when I see Cain Velasquez' tattoo, Brown Power (and I like the guy). But can you imagine, say, the Dean of Mean sporting a White Power tattoo? :huh:

I was glad to see that O'Reilly gave this incident a full segment on his show tonight. Meghan Kelly said what the principal did was actually illegal.

BamaGrits84
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM

You really hit on a good point here. Our society has become a bunch of pansies if you ask me. It seems whites and Christians have to walk on eggshells to keep from offending anyone unless we are ready to be called racist or intolerant. It bothers me how badly these type of situations reflect on the group they are meant to stand up for supposedly. This principal has made the Mexican American students at his school look violent by saying they might start fights over a few kids wearing American flag shirts. Now if I was one of the Meixcan American students I'd be much more upset that I was being made to look like I would allow what someone else was wearing to offend me and act violently because of what someone was wearing.

rockdawg21
05-08-2010, 03:29 AM

It's true. Any non-white is allowed to voice it, when the irony of the whole concept is those who notice it are those who are the bigots.

Tyburn
05-09-2010, 11:45 AM
do you know there is a code of conduct when it comes to handling the National Standard :huh:

Whilst shirts depicting flags are fine....you know it is utterly wrong to actually "wear" a flag like many athletes at the Olympics do?

I only know this because when I went to the U.S on ADT1 in 2007, I bought myself a nice big American Standard, and it came with a leaflet telling me what I should and should not do with it.

Two caught my attention. First, it is actually quite disrespectful to drape yourself and run around with a standard, and secondly, old standards are decomissioned by burning. The thing is, the flag makers or whoever it is that has sanctioned these rules are treating the Flag with a liturgical sense of accuracy...that is to say, they are treating it with the deepest of respect.

Old Flags are burned in the same way as vestments if they have consecrated communion win spilled on them...and you dont go wearing a flag, like you shouldnt go wearing liturgical vestments to a fancy dress party.

America, treated liturgically is two things, a Document, and a Standard...they are to be honoured with deep reverence, and therefore not to be messed around with...you shouldnt even touch your flag without due cause...I suppose you should really wear a set of white gloves when handling also so it doesnt get dirty...thats why Her Majesty, The Queen in public is almost always seen wearing gloves