PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Hotel burned down!!

Tyburn
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
:scared0015: its about five mins walk south west from me. There has been a fire early this morning... :unsure-1: Someone is missing :sad: they think it could be....deliberate :blink: 5am the fire started...it was still on fire when I got to work at 8!

One person is unaccounted for after a fire broke out at a Victorian hotel in the centre of Harrogate, firefighters said.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service described the blaze at the Majestic Hotel just off Ripon Road in the town as "potentially suspicious".

Crews were called to the 170-bedroom listed Victorian building just before 0500 BST on Wednesday.

It is thought the blaze may have started in a bedroom.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "All 132 guests have been evacuated. There is currently one person unaccounted for and we are currently searching for that person to locate them in conjunction with the fire service."

Twelve fire engines have been at the scene. West Yorkshire Fire Service is providing support to crews from the North Yorkshire service.

A spokesman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "The hotel was evacuated and we currently have no reports of injuries and firefighters are still working hard to bring the fire under control and limit damage where possible.

More than 130 guests were staying in the hotel at the time of the fire
"It is still too early to comment on a cause for the fire but an investigation will commence as soon as practicably possible."

Philip Malkin, a guest at the Majestic, said: "It looks as though it started in one of the accommodation units used by staff on the fifth floor.

"At the front left of the hotel it was very seriously ablaze at five o'clock this morning. Police arrived and evacuated most of the guests.

"At the moment the fire service and the general manager of the hotel, Vince Johnson, are predicting that we'll not get back into the hotel to collect our belongings until mid-afternoon today."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/BREAKING-Fire-at-Harrogate39s-Majestic.6272609.jp (you can see videos of the fire :cry: )

Tyburn
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
:sad: they found human remains :cry:

Shoots like a girl
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Thats horrible!

Tyburn
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Thats horrible!

the smell of it is all over town :sad: it was in the store when I went to work...the smell of burned wood and fabric...and...obviously whoever was trapped inside the blaze for FIVE HOURS :cry:

Shoots like a girl
05-05-2010, 08:35 PM
the smell of it is all over town :sad: it was in the store when I went to work...the smell of burned wood and fabric...and...obviously whoever was trapped inside the blaze for FIVE HOURS :cry:

I went to EMT school straight out of high school and of all the screwed up things Ive seen, heard and smelled, burnt flesh is the worst. Ugh, sorry you had to witness that. :sad:

Tyburn
05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I went to EMT school straight out of high school and of all the screwed up things Ive seen, heard and smelled, burnt flesh is the worst. Ugh, sorry you had to witness that. :sad:

Thankfully I didnt see it...but you couldnt half smell the burning. It was on fire for five hours at least...there was a haze...course if you go to the end of my street, cross the road, go down the steps...you can SEE the Majestic looming behind the Conference Centre which is just over the road...so obviously with the wind blowing East slightly...it smelled as bad as when I use my burn bowl :blink: