PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill Along Gulf Coast - One Unholy Mess!

Bonnie
04-30-2010, 03:14 AM
They say 5,000 barrels of oil, that's 200,000 gallons, a day is pumping out of the oil well that caught fire and sank last week off the coast of Louisiana. The leading edge of the oil slick is suppose to reach land some time tomorrow. This is going to be devastating/catastrophic to the area along the gulf coastline. Right now it looks like Louisiana is going to take the brunt of it, but that could change with the weather and winds. Wildlife refuges along the coastline could be affected, the shrimping industry of Louisiana, tourism along the beach areas of the southern gulf states. They say it could take as long as 90 days (3 months) to cap this thing off. BP (British Petroleum) first reported that the rig was only leaking 1,000 barrels a day, but either they lied or they didn't know what the heck they were talking about.

They say this could be, probably will be, worse than the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska in 1989.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4172569/oil-spill-could-reach-coast-within-hours?playlist_id=86856

MattHughesRocks
04-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Ooooh, so that's what thery were talking about on the news. That tanks! :sad:

Bonnie
04-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Ooooh, so that's what thery were talking about on the news. That tanks! :sad:

Yeah, it's really bad! :sad:

They are supposed to be looking into weather BP was following all the laws and safety precautions to avoid something like this, and supposedly they are going to be inspecting all the oil rigs to make sure everyone is following the rules and regulations. I heard it's costing BP 6 million dollars a day so far and they are going to have to pay back all the costs (taxpayers) that it's costing the coastguard and other entities that are helping in this fiasco.

If it turns out that BP wasn't following all the laws and regulations, I bet they will wish they had by the time they get the price tag for this clean-up. But that's not really going to help all the industries and wildlife that livelihood depend upon those waters and marshlands. :wink:

BamaGrits84
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
they need to find the contractor that built the underground road in australia and get them on capping that thing FAST. i wonder why they can't just run piping around the busted pipes and pump the escaping oil onto tankers. i know it's a mile deep but whatever equipment they use to lay the base for the wells is surely capable of running pipe. and there are underwater welding robots. i guess if i understood how these wells are made it would be better. i know if it gets to the bama shore BP better run for cover because jere beasley is going to go after the clothes on the execs back! if la and ms are smart they'll hire him too. he won the biggest civil verdict ever - $11 billion I think - against exxon mobil.

BamaGrits84
04-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I knew it wouldn't take them long...

"MONTGOMERY, AL. Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C. has filed a class action lawsuit against British Petroleum ("BP") and several other companies with ties to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The firm seeks to represent individuals and businesses that have incurred damages related to the disaster, including; real property damages; personal property damages; loss of profits and earning capacity; loss of commercial and subsistence use of natural resources; increased costs of public services; and, loss of revenues.

The oil spill resulted from the explosion and sinking of the oil platform Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20th. Coast Guard officials estimate 5,000 barrels a day are leaking into the Gulf. The oil slick made landfall in southern Louisiana early Friday and is expected to reach Mississippi and Alabama within the coming days.

Experts are calling this the worst environmental crisis since the Exxon Valdez and are predicting the economic impact to be greater than that associated with hurricane Katrina. They estimate the massive oil spill has the potential to negatively affect the entire Gulf coastline. This includes a negative economic impact on thousands who earn their livelihood in the fishing industry, as well as tourism, itself a major industry along the scenic oceanfront. Additionally, the environmental impact is expected to be severe, with oil and byproducts damaging fragile marshlands, marine and bird life.

"We are calling on the Alabama congressional delegation to do everything in their power to speed federal resources to the Gulf coast in order to minimize damage to the environment and the thousands of families that depend on these waters for their livelihood. Our thoughts and prayers are with responders," said Jere Beasley, founding shareholder of Beasley Allen.

Beasley Allen has an experienced Toxic Tort section that includes lawyers and staff who have handled numerous environmental disaster cases."

Tyburn
05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
They blew up an oil rig before capping it :blink::huh:

BP is one of the biggest Oil companies in the world...WTF is their excuse for this :mellow: Was this a case of negligence or something??

TENNESSEAN
05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
They blew up an oil rig before capping it :blink::huh:

BP is one of the biggest Oil companies in the world...WTF is their excuse for this :mellow: Was this a case of negligence or something??

its 100% negligence bad thing is they will never prove it. people will be fired papers will disappear. BP has enough money and political power they will never be held accountable.

Tyburn
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
its 100% negligence bad thing is they will never prove it. people will be fired papers will disappear. BP has enough money and political power they will never be held accountable.

I dont know what sort of political power you think they sway...I suppose money deals with oil...

You cant cover something like this up...its all over the news...how are they supposed to explain away an oil slick so large its hitting ground in several different American States :blink:

TENNESSEAN
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
google Kingston Tn coal ash spill. i have some experience with this sort of thing. thats all i can say:ninja:

flo
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM
British Petroleum will just pass costs from class action suits onto the consumer. The only ones who really benefit financially in those instances are the lawyers. I'm willing to bet that any person whose business suffers from this disaster and signs on to the class action suit will see little compensation.

Tyburn
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
google Kingston Tn coal ash spill. i have some experience with this sort of thing. thats all i can say:ninja:

:ninja: oooo are you in "the know" :ninja:

:laugh:

You know, I dont care a jot about PB, I dont really care about its effects on business, or tourists.....what I care about is the environment in this instance...how many fish...how many birds are going to perish because of this :unsure-1: Its Horrible, and a damning testiment I think to the priorities of big businesses out there

Why dont BP create hundreds of new jobs by always having a group of people who can quickly deal with the fall out from their little accidents. Imagine a paid workforce of a couple of hundred on hand, on the beaches when the slick makes landfall to scoope up and recover the wildlife and try to save as much as possible...and dont tell me they dont have the money to fund that....because they do...what they dont have is the inclination...these people could be a workforce that move around the globe to clear up after damages...im sure there is always a mess to be sorted...and if not it makes the company look good for supporting world environmentalism

The laugh is..England have LITTERALLY Millions of people who are out of work...when they could be employed doing worthwhile jobs like these! MOST big businesses can do something in this sort of extention....but they would rather keep their millions

Heck even bloody temporary work for say 6 months after every disastor! it need not be a permanent endevour. GOD forbid they spend a little of their profit on something worthwhile...and on fixing something they caused in the first place. :cry: