PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Governor Candidate: "Speak English if you want to live in Alabama"

rockdawg21
04-29-2010, 12:58 AM
I love it!

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Tim-James-ad.aspx?cp-searchtext=Tim%20James%20ad?GT1=36010

Watch the ad: A Republican Alabama gubernatorial candidate has spoken. Tim James' campaign commercial declaring "This is Alabama; we speak English" has hit the airwaves. Watch it (http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/james-speak-english-if-you-want-to-live-in-alabama/6f4bbmb?form=msnlfa).
About the ad: In it, he vows that a common state exam will be given in English only (currently the test is offered in 12 other languages) if he is elected.
Possible consequences? James may have bigger problems if he gets his way. It's been reported that his state could lose federal funding. How much?
His education: According to his official campaign site, he earned a finance degree from Auburn University in 1985.
Previous run for governor: He ran for governor in 2002. How did he finish?
His family: James, 48, is the son of a previous two-term governor. Married for 26 years, he and his wife have three children.
Other candidates: He's not the only candidate for governor. Who are the others?
Immigration: The ad was released just a week after Arizona passed a controversial immigration bill.

Vizion
04-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Good. Sounds like the Republicans are finally getting their balls back :punch:

Spiritwalker
04-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Not that I disagree...

But America doesn't have an official language.. We would need to have an official language to really make that stick.

Neezar
04-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Where did Georgia enter the picture? :unsure-1:

This is in Alabama! :laugh:

Bonnie
04-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Where did Georgia enter the picture? :unsure-1:

This is in Alabama! :laugh:

:laugh:

(Logrus posted a youtube link of this ad also, in the "Arizona Immigration" thread.)

J.B.
04-29-2010, 03:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY

rockdawg21
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Not that I disagree...

But America doesn't have an official language.. We would need to have an official language to really make that stick.
I agree with that. My mother the other day was bragging about the time when she was at Wal-Mart and was walking by some Mexican men speaking in Spanish. She walked over and said something like, "Hey, this is America, speak English" and said some of the other people walking by said "right on." I laughed at that and chose not to say anything to her, but laughed due to the ignorance. If my mother and I were in, say, France, and both of us were fluent in French, we would still speak to each other in English.

I personally don't have a problem with people from other countries speaking in their native tongues (my wife and stepmother talk to each other in Tagalog all the time), but I don't think we should have to spend tax dollars to support those who refuse to learn English. However, I do agree it should be made the official language before it could TRULY be argued.

Spiritwalker
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
My only issues with language is that I don't want to have to learn Spanish.. when I go into my local McD.. and their accent is so heavy that I can't understand them.

To have a Csutomer Service job, you should be able to be fluent in the dominate language of the area.

When I was in Colombia, everyone could speak "broken" English pretty well.. and some were surprised that I could gt my point across in "fractured" Spanish.

County Mike
04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Try going to Miami (anywhere beyond the strip). The area is heavily Cuban and English is NOT the native language in that area.

NateR
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
When I was stationed in Germany and South Korea, it was considered very rude and arrogant if we didn't at least make an attempt to learn the native languages of those countries. However, illegal immigrants can invade our country and not only make no attempt whatsoever to learn English, but demand that we adapt to their languages instead and if we object, then we're labeled "racists" or "xenophobic"? That's just idiotic.

I think America has been too generous for too long and we need to stop allowing these people to take advantage of our good will.

Chuck
04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I love it!

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Tim-James-ad.aspx?cp-searchtext=Tim%20James%20ad?GT1=36010

People should obviously be allowed to speak whatever language they choose but I do support adopting English as the official language in the US. I would be fine with printing tests and things like that in other languages but why not charge the people to use them to cover the cost of printing? English test = free... Korean test = cost of printing??

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
What is the common state exam for?

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I can't wait for James to be MY governor! :w00t:

I don't see any opposing views that really make sense. not on here or any other source where comments are being made on this. It's pathetic that all they can come up with is "racist". Which I think is very disrespectful to those how have actually endured racism.

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM

People should obviously be allowed to speak whatever language they choose but I do support adopting English as the official language in the US. I would be fine with printing tests and things like that in other languages but why not charge the people to use them to cover the cost of printing? English test = free... Korean test = cost of printing??

I work with dozens of Koreans. They all know how to speak English - some better than others. But they all also are constanly reading books in English, asking American's the correct way to state something, to check their writing. They desire to know the language well.

We also have probably 50 Mexicans here that work for contractors. I asked the cleaning lady for a broom and she didn't know what I was saying. One looked his keys in his car yesterday and when I asked if he wanted help getting them out he couldn't even respond. Just point and shake his head. Now clearly that man drives. And clearly he has no idea how to speak any English, is probably illegal, probably doesn't have a DL or insurance, and could leave work, go hit another motorist or get pulled over for a traffic violation and get treated with amnesty because he can give any name he wants and the police have no way or verifying who he really is or doing anything to him is he doesn't pay for the damage he caused or pay his tickets. Why in the world should someone that came here ILLEGALLY not be held to the same standards everyone else here is? :muttering:
:mad0233:

flo
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
What is the common state exam for?
rnc, it's the driver's license exam.

logrus
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I love it!

I posted this in another thread, typical tea party members...

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I posted this in another thread, typical tea party members...

what do you mean "typical tea party members"?

atomdanger
04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
HELL YEAH! haha.

I have no problems with immigrants, if they do two things.
1. Learn English.
2. Pay taxes.

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 06:49 PM
HELL YEAH! haha.

I have no problems with immigrants, if they do two things.
1. Learn English.
2. Pay taxes.

The forum needs a like button.

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
rnc, it's the driver's license exam.

so don't you have to proof your citizenship or legal status papers before you apply for a driver's licence?

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I work with dozens of Koreans. They all know how to speak English - some better than others. But they all also are constanly reading books in English, asking American's the correct way to state something, to check their writing. They desire to know the language well.

We also have probably 50 Mexicans here that work for contractors. I asked the cleaning lady for a broom and she didn't know what I was saying. One looked his keys in his car yesterday and when I asked if he wanted help getting them out he couldn't even respond. Just point and shake his head. Now clearly that man drives. And clearly he has no idea how to speak any English, is probably illegal, probably doesn't have a DL or insurance, and could leave work, go hit another motorist or get pulled over for a traffic violation and get treated with amnesty because he can give any name he wants and the police have no way or verifying who he really is or doing anything to him is he doesn't pay for the damage he caused or pay his tickets. Why in the world should someone that came here ILLEGALLY not be held to the same standards everyone else here is? :muttering:
:mad0233:
Don't single out certain races that's just effin ignorant..

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree with learning the native tongue! However upon reading this thread I am so annoyed of some of the shyt im reading.

County Mike
04-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with learning the native tongue! However upon reading this thread I am so annoyed of some of the shyt im reading.

Yeah! Bunch of racist bass turds.

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah! Bunch of racist bass turds. I never said racist. Lord knows I am.. Against IGNORANT people, certain minorities, whites that are hillbilly's, umm and anyone STUPID that does not have a medical dx to back it up!:angry:

atomdanger
04-29-2010, 07:41 PM
so don't you have to proof your citizenship or legal status papers before you apply for a driver's licence?

Nope.

In Washington you don't have to be a citizen to.
1. send your kids to school
2. get a license
3. get food stamps
4. get WIC

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Nope.

2. get a license
3. get food stamps
4. get WIC

damn ... you can do all that here too without being a citizen, but you have to at least have a legal status such as landed immigrant, valid visa etc ...

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Both of you just proved by biggest point in the whole deal the lack of debatable points leads to name calling. Racist being my now hated one. Neither of you gave a counter point to what I said - you just wanted to belittle because I don't share your views.

Miss Foxy you called my thoughts ignorant & couldn't come up with a response other than name calling - not only is that childish but it really shows I'm not the one lacking in the area of intelligence. And I didn't single out ALL Mexicans. I spoke about the ones I work with. I know plenty of Mexicans and Guatemalans that can speak English. And the thing is they don't expect America to cater to their language but rather are smart enough to know it's their responsibility to educate themselves well enough in English to function in society. They also pay taxes and legally came here.

Country Mike you did the same thing calling folks names. It's what pissed me off the most about this. Why can't people with opposing view points have a civil debate without name calling?

And I did just ask a Korean co-worker if he took the drivers' test in Korean. He did and made a good example for why he needed to. Even though he can speak English pretty well he said there could easily be confusion with words like too, two, and to that could have caused him to fail. That would be a good argument on behalf of keeping the test in several languages. And I think two things should happen if it is kept - solid proof of citizenship and an additional cost (maybe $5, not much). Reason being that an entirely different software is used to test in other languages and that's an increased cost on taxpayers for someone who willing decided they wanted to be here.

Now go ahead and name call. That seems to be all you can do.

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Please people, stop the fighting .. there are two things that I can't stand and one of them is racial intolerance ... please, let's just be friends ...

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Both of you just proved by biggest point in the whole deal the lack of debatable points leads to name calling. Racist being my now hated one. Neither of you gave a counter point to what I said - you just wanted to belittle because I don't share your views.

Miss Foxy you called my thoughts ignorant & couldn't come up with a response other than name calling - not only is that childish but it really shows I'm not the one lacking in the area of intelligence. And I didn't single out ALL Mexicans. I spoke about the ones I work with. I know plenty of Mexicans and Guatemalans that can speak English. And the thing is they don't expect America to cater to their language but rather are smart enough to know it's their responsibility to educate themselves well enough in English to function in society. They also pay taxes and legally came here.

Country Mike you did the same thing calling folks names. It's what pissed me off the most about this. Why can't people with opposing view points have a civil debate without name calling?

And I did just ask a Korean co-worker if he took the drivers' test in Korean. He did and made a good example for why he needed to. Even though he can speak English pretty well he said there could easily be confusion with words like too, two, and to that could have caused him to fail. That would be a good argument on behalf of keeping the test in several languages. And I think two things should happen if it is kept - solid proof of citizenship and an additional cost (maybe $5, not much). Reason being that an entirely different software is used to test in other languages and that's an increased cost on taxpayers for someone who willing decided they wanted to be here.

Now go ahead and name call. That seems to be all you can do. I didnt like you from your previous posts and still don't like you.. Just like you have a right to post what you wanna post so do I.. Really if I was name calling I would use much more adult words, but being that I can care 2 pennies about you I am gonna go on my merry little way..:Whistle:

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Please people, stop the fighting .. there are two things that I can't stand and one of them is racial intolerance ... please, let's just be friends ...You know me this isnt fighting silly..I only fight when someone bashes Matt!! Got it...:laugh:

Vizion
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Nope.

2. get a license
3. get food stamps
4. get WIC Well isn't that special ? :angry:

What is the reasoning behind this?

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I didnt like you from your previous posts and still don't like you.. Just like you have a right to post what you wanna post so do I.. Really if I was name calling I would use much more adult words, but being that I can care 2 pennies about you I am gonna go on my merry little way..:Whistle:

There's a great word to describe you too, but I don't think it because I don't like your opinions - I think it because of the way you present yourself. Did I give you some impression that I give a crap if you like what I have to say or not? Let me clearify - I don't. You really need to grow up and find a better way to respond to people when you disagree with their thoughts. It's very childish.

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Before I get a warning from a moderator. Honey when you wanna put on your big girl panties and call me what you want go ahead feel free I guarantee I have been called it before. However you calling me childish? Hmm the first sign to me that your very childish maybe even idiotic was your lame thread about Whos Matts biggest fan.. Lmao..:laugh:

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Please people, stop the fighting .. there are two things that I can't stand and one of them is racial intolerance ... please, let's just be friends ...

No body is fighting. And I don't think anyone is being racial intolerant. Some might be opinion intolerant but that's it. And note I never said 1 thing bad about anyone for expressing their opinion. I think everyone has a right to one. The problem is when some people resort to acting like jerk just because they don't agree with someone. & I'm one to stand up to people who think they are all that because they can belittle people.

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/2/8/f28814974d3e13516658bd48817dd0b9.gif

BamaGrits84
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Before I get a warning from a moderator. Honey when you wanna put on your big girl panties and call me what you want go ahead feel free I guarantee I have been called it before. However you calling me childish? Hmm the first sign to me that your very childish maybe even idiotic was your lame thread about Whos Matts biggest fan.. Lmao..:laugh:

I've been trying really hard to love like Jesus even when I'm not really up for it, so I'm going to stop. No one likes mean girls. It doesn't make you look good. It didn't when you made a smart comment on my first post and it's not now. Learn to be kind for goodness sakes.

NateR
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM

:sick:

NateR
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't single out certain races that's just effin ignorant..

I saw nothing objectionable in Bamagrits post. If you actually see racism in those comments, then maybe you have some racial intolerance in your own life that needs to be dealt with.

I've had very similar experiences dealing with Mexicans here in the US. My dad was born in Mexico and became a naturalized citizen as soon as he turned 18 and he is very adamant that people living in America need to speak English.

MattHughesRocks
04-29-2010, 09:07 PM
What does that mean? :huh:

I never said racist. Lord knows I am.. Against IGNORANT people, certain minorities, whites that are hillbilly's, umm and anyone STUPID that does not have a medical dx to back it up!:angry:

Tyburn
04-29-2010, 09:34 PM
See I have nothing against people who speak a foreign language...BUT...in England its kinda become like these immigrants come across and all they do is shout at each other in their own language...its really rude...the majority of them can speak English...they just choose not to...I do find it irritating.

Mind due...if you say that in the political sphere, you will get branded far right...what we in England refer to as "Nationalists" :ninja:

You know what I'm like with half those Brazillian MMA fighters who wont speak English...we wont even go into how the language they speak isnt their native tongue anyway LOL...but then I doubt many Americans speak whatever languages were natives to the Tribes that lived their before collonization... Essentially...Niether English, Nor Spanish, Nor Portuguese belong in the Americas at all...they are all imports from Europe...and they basically wipped out the native languages...the irony is...as immigration gets worse and worse...we all might find that English soon gets eclipsed, in much the same way as Incan...Eventually...we'll probably all have to speak Chinese!

I remember the advert that said something like "in the year 2050, Man first arrived on Mars...and these were the first words spoken" and it was something in Russian I think...

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I saw nothing objectionable in Bamagrits post. If you actually see racism in those comments, then maybe you have some racial intolerance in your own life that needs to be dealt with.

I've had very similar experiences dealing with Mexicans here in the US. My dad was born in Mexico and became a naturalized citizen as soon as he turned 18 and he is very adamant that people living in America need to speak English.

I never said she was racist thats the whole thing. Dude come on how many times have I agreed with the learn to speak English thing I even went as far as telling a sailor in his uniform. I always say I am racist and I dont have to lie for anyone.. Racism comes in all forms.

Miss Foxy
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
What does that mean? :huh:

I don't know what does it mean?

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
on a serious note, America was built by immigrants and America seems to have an open arm policy as the promised land ... heck the Constitution is tranlated into many languages ... since the US doesn't have an official language, i am gonna have to say that i don't agree with this ...

MattHughesRocks
04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
You said it. That's why I was asking you. I don't know what does it mean?

rockdawg21
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM

I sell library books in several of the border towns in Texas and the educators there have one common theme..."They need to learn the English. It's great they speak Spanish, but if they want to have a future in the U.S., they've got to learn it." I hear it quite often from principals, teachers, and librarians. Truth is, they're right. Retain the culture (I would), but learn the language of business in the new country.

flo
04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Not to get too far off topic but reading Dave's comment about the original languages spoken in the Americas made me think of The Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson.

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-688-07895-8.html

This is a wonderful book, a very quick read (although I read several sections over again, it was so funny/interesting/enjoyable). I've even given it as a gift, I know anyone here with an interest in language - and the English language in particular - would LOVE this book. I doubt it will ever be out of print.

Chuck
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I sell library books in several of the border towns in Texas and the educators there have one common theme..."They need to learn the English. It's great they speak Spanish, but if they want to have a future in the U.S., they've got to learn it." I hear it quite often from principals, teachers, and librarians. Truth is, they're right. Retain the culture (I would), but learn the language of business in the new country.

But why would they???? :blink:

That's the problem... they (non-English literate) have no reason to learn. That's why we need to make English the national language and help "encourage" that process.

atomdanger
04-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Well isn't that special ? :angry:

What is the reasoning behind this?

No clue?!?

I can't comprehend it.

atomdanger
04-30-2010, 12:00 AM

don't worry, you're still hot.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 12:54 AM
But why would they???? :blink:

That's the problem... they (non-English literate) have no reason to learn. That's why we need to make English the national language and help "encourage" that process.
Depends how you look at it. For a 9-5 job, sure, not a problem. For a career in a high-paying field such as business, medicine, legal field, science, etc., it has to be English.
Education is also taught in English, so if one wants to go to college, they must learn English.

County Mike
04-30-2010, 12:55 AM

You took my "racist bass turds" comment seriously? That was just a joke and wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Rule #1 on this forum: Almost everything County Mike says is meant for a laugh. Don't take me seriously until I start showing off pics of my daughter, whenever she decides to get her. My pride in her will be genuine.

It might not really be rule #1, but in regards to me it is.

Carry on.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 12:57 AM
:rolleyes:

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM
You took my "racist bass turds" comment seriously? That was just a joke and wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Rule #1 on this forum: Almost everything County Mike says is meant for a laugh. Don't take me seriously until I start showing off pics of my daughter, whenever she decides to get her. My pride in her will be genuine.

It might not really be rule #1, but in regards to me it is.

Carry on.
Is this statement serious or not? Damn it Mike, you're confusing me here! :frantics:

J.B.
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM

I don't think Michael would find this thread entertaining... :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
04-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Me either :angry:

Nathan :muttering:

I don't think Michael would find this thread entertaining... :laugh:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Look here people. This is The United States of America. Saying that the English language is not our Language is like saying the American Flag isn't the American Flag. Our forefathers spoke English and 95% of this Country speaks the English language. Is it right for me to say that people shouldn't be allowed to speak their language? No. It is right for me to say that we Americans shouldn't have to learn their language to accommodate them. We shouldn't spend tax dollars teaching everyone their language or make every sign with every language on it. It should be our right to want to learn any language we want. If you want to be the one who doesn't want to educate yourself then that's fine. This is a Country that speaks English. We should not change who we are or what has made this Country great for so many years.
I know we have a big debate in this section every couple months about what this country was founded upon. Some say Christian beliefs and others think not. One thing I think we can all agree on is that this Country was based on FREEDOM. What does freedom mean to you? I know what it means to me? Freedom to me means being able to learn anything in this world that I want and to be able to use my knowledge to become anything I wanna do or do anything I want to do as long as I am not out their hurting a soul. Freedom means being able to Pray to my God and worship him at all times if I may choose. Freedom to me means being able to speak any language I want to. Does that mean we should have to pay for 50 different languages to be posted on every tv station, newspaper or Home depot door in this country. No. We as humans and as Gods children should want to be able to learn all about what God gave us. We should want to learn every language just in case
we might need to help our brother or sister who can't speak English out. We should have the desire to want to, but the good thing about Freedom is we have that right to choose. Freedom is everything. We as people on here disagree from time to time and sometimes a couple of us disagree all the time. We should not put hatred of any kind in our mouths. We should keep a positive attitude and try and help each other out at all times. Remember we are free. We are not going to always agree but we should always hit these discussions with respect towards each other. We don't need to make every issue a race issue either. Lets try and have a conversation and debate about serious issues and try and come to an agreement on why we feel the way we do. Lets do it with dignity and pride. Lets do it without racism being called every 5 seconds.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Look here people. This is The United States of America. Saying that the English language is not our Language is like saying the American Flag isn't the American Flag. Our forefathers spoke English and 95% of this Country speaks the English language.The U.S.A. does not have an official language, so your statement is merely opinion rather than fact. However, it is a fact that the American Flag is our flag, so your analogy doesn't quite match. Not that I'm disagreeing with your opinion, just saying you're comparing an opinion to a fact.

I suppose in other words, I'm just being an argumentative butthole because it's one of the many freedoms I enjoy in America. :laugh: http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/55.gif

J.B.
04-30-2010, 04:42 AM
I suppose in other words, I'm just being an argumentative butthole because it's one of the many freedoms I enjoy in America. :laugh: http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/55.gif

Nooooo, nobody ever does that around here! :laugh:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 04:47 AM
The U.S.A. does not have an official language, so your statement is merely opinion rather than fact. However, it is a fact that the American Flag is our flag, so your analogy doesn't quite match. Not that I'm disagreeing with your opinion, just saying you're comparing an opinion to a fact.

Sometimes things don't have to be worded in books for something to be official. English is our main language. To me that means official.

J.B.
04-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Sometimes things don't have to be worded in books for something to be official. English is our main language. To me that means official.

I gotta agree with you Don.

Kinda like the idea that America is a Christian Nation. :wink:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 04:54 AM
The English language may not be the Official language of the United States but it's a language that our forefathers spoke. It's a language that is taught primarily in our schools as a subject our kids have to pass in order to continue to the next grade. Although it may not be official, it is what we speak.

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=J.B.;114011]I gotta agree with you Don.

Kinda like the idea that America is a Christian Nation. :wink:[/QUOTE

There is no doubt in my mind that this Country wasn't founded upon Christian beliefs. I bet that if our forefathers would have known whats happening now back then they would have put in the D.O.I. They would have tattooed that sucker on every place they could have. I don't want to bring this up in the political section but I have to ask one question. Does anyone here honestly have so much love in their life that they can't want or need the love of God? The reason we are having all these discussions and problems is because we are so filled with hatred towards one another that we can't actually see what's right in front of our faces. English is what we are typing. It's what we are speaking. It's what we are teaching are kids in school that actually counts against our kids if they don't pass. It is mandatory for kids to take English. It's not mandatory for them to take Spanish. You know why? Because they teach Spanish in Mexico. They teach French in France. They teach Portuguese in Brazil. I bet you don't go to China and say that Chinese isn't their official language. You do not have to have something written on paper for it to be true. When you go fishing and you catch 20 bass do you honestly have to take pictures to prove to your friends you actually caught fish? What happened to Honesty? What happened to Honor. Do we not trust what our forefathers believed in or fought for anymore? I know I need the love of God. Without him I am weak and with him I am strong. I need this Country and I need Freedom. I want to learn and make better of my life but I also know truth. Think about it.

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 07:45 AM
The issue that I am concerned about is printing voting ballots in multiple languages. My state has ballots in at least 4 languages besides English (that I am aware of). In order to become a naturalized American citizen, one must possess an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English (there are a few limited exceptions to this rule). My question is: If you must be a U.S. Citizen to vote and you must have an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English in order to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, why are ballots printed in other languages? I have written to my political representatives and only receive form letters with doggerel about "diversity".

The reason, I fear, is massive voter fraud with illegal aliens voting.

J.B.
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM

There is no doubt in my mind that this Country wasn't founded upon Christian beliefs. I bet that if our forefathers would have known whats happening now back then they would have put in the D.O.I. They would have tattooed that sucker on every place they could have. I don't want to bring this up in the political section but I have to ask one question. Does anyone here honestly have so much love in their life that they can't want or need the love of God? The reason we are having all these discussions and problems is because we are so filled with hatred towards one another that we can't actually see what's right in front of our faces. English is what we are typing. It's what we are speaking. It's what we are teaching are kids in school that actually counts against our kids if they don't pass. It is mandatory for kids to take English. It's not mandatory for them to take Spanish. You know why? Because they teach Spanish in Mexico. They teach French in France. They teach Portuguese in Brazil. I bet you don't go to China and say that Chinese isn't their official language. You do not have to have something written on paper for it to be true. When you go fishing and you catch 20 bass do you honestly have to take pictures to prove to your friends you actually caught fish? What happened to Honesty? What happened to Honor. Do we not trust what our forefathers believed in or fought for anymore? I know I need the love of God. Without him I am weak and with him I am strong. I need this Country and I need Freedom. I want to learn and make better of my life but I also know truth. Think about it.

I love you Don...:wink:

You seriously hit on so many points at once it made me dizzy...:wacko:

rearnakedchoke
04-30-2010, 11:32 AM

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/howto.asp

English and French are the official languages of Canada .... and you have to learn them before you can become a citizen ....

BamaGrits84
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
The issue that I am concerned about is printing voting ballots in multiple languages. My state has ballots in at least 4 languages besides English (that I am aware of). In order to become a naturalized American citizen, one must possess an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English (there are a few limited exceptions to this rule). My question is: If you must be a U.S. Citizen to vote and you must have an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English in order to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, why are ballots printed in other languages? I have written to my political representatives and only receive form letters with doggerel about "diversity".

The reason, I fear, is massive voter fraud with illegal aliens voting.

You fears are just as it's happened several times with in state elections.

I'm not against immigrants or Mexicans. I'm against anyone here illegal - especially that thinks they are being treated "unfairly" and "discriminated" against. When the truth is catering to illegals is BS and unfair to Americans and those who spent money and time to get here legally. Illegals are getting a pass on everything. They can make money, not pay taxes, get social transfers (i.e foodstamps, wic, medicaid), get away with crimes, get injured and rack up massive medical bills then skip on them (which I know several citizens do, but atleast the is some way to try to recover cost from them), send kids to school that can learn because no one is teaching them English at home because no one at home knows it, and in turn that brings down overall test scores in school and leads to reduced funding and extra spending. Again I don't have a problem with Mexicans coming here, but it they aren't will to take the step set in place to ensure the are capable of being a productive member of society (via the legal immigrantion process) then we need to keep them from coming in and send back the ones who are already here.

Buzzard
04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't want to bring this up in the political section but I have to ask one question. Does anyone here honestly have so much love in their life that they can't want or need the love of God?

Buenos dias amigos. Que te pasa?

I'm glad that you find comfort with your belief in God. I'm doing just fine though without it. I don't need it to find comfort in my life, as life itself provides me with it. I don't need imaginary love from what I consider an imaginary God.

The reason we are having all these discussions and problems is because we are so filled with hatred towards one another that we can't actually see what's right in front of our faces.

I'm not filled with that hatred. Why do you suppose that you are?

English is what we are typing. It's what we are speaking. It's what we are teaching are kids in school that actually counts against our kids if they don't pass. It is mandatory for kids to take English. It's not mandatory for them to take Spanish.

Heck, it seems that most of the American kids and adults can't speak or write the language properly as it is. Last time I checked, in order to graduate high school you needed to take a foreign language. It may have changed, but I know I needed at least one year of a foreign language to graduate.

You do not have to have something written on paper for it to be true. When you go fishing and you catch 20 bass do you honestly have to take pictures to prove to your friends you actually caught fish?

I never believe fish tales unless I see a picture!:wink:

What happened to Honesty? What happened to Honor. Do we not trust what our forefathers believed in or fought for anymore? I know I need the love of God. Without him I am weak and with him I am strong. I need this Country and I need Freedom. I want to learn and make better of my life but I also know truth. Think about it.

I think that honesty and honor are still there, but that doesn't sell newspapers or ad time on TMZ. I believe that in your heart you mean well, I seriously do. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget that there is still good out there, sometimes right in front of our eyes.

Seeing instructions in other languages is only a very small annoyance, if that, in my life. I usually try to make it a positive experience and learn from them myself.

You fears are just as it's happened several times with in state elections.

I'm not against immigrants or Mexicans. I'm against anyone here illegal - especially that thinks they are being treated "unfairly" and "discriminated" against.

Was it fair of you to assume that the guy at your work who locked his keys in his car was here illegally just because he didn't speak the language? If you think that they are here illegally, have you done your civic duty to report it to the authorities? Can you post some links to these illegals who think they are being treated unfairly and discriminated against?

When the truth is catering to illegals is BS and unfair to Americans and those who spent money and time to get here legally.

How is the USoA catering to illegals?

Illegals are getting a pass on everything. They can make money, not pay taxes,

Don't they pay taxes when they make purchases? Shouldn't you instead be angry with the American companies that hire them?

get social transfers (i.e foodstamps, wic, medicaid), get away with crimes,

How does one get away with crimes because of an illegal status?

get injured and rack up massive medical bills then skip on them (which I know several citizens do, but atleast the is some way to try to recover cost from them),

They can always try to recover them from illegals too. Are you also angry with the citizens who rack up massive bills and don't pay?

send kids to school that can learn because no one is teaching them English at home because no one at home knows it, and in turn that brings down overall test scores in school and leads to reduced funding and extra spending.

How does a kid of an illegal bring down the scores if the child is learning? Take a look at almost any online forum and see that our very own children and adults lack the most basic grammar and writing skills. It seems that you are placing the blame solely on illegal immigrants. If not, then my apologies. If these children of legal immigrants go home and teach their family English, isn't that a good thing?

Again I don't have a problem with Mexicans coming here, but it they aren't will to take the step set in place to ensure the are capable of being a productive member of society (via the legal immigrantion process) then we need to keep them from coming in and send back the ones who are already here.

I thought this thread was about the Alabama governor candidate wanting people to speak English if they were going to live in Alabama, not illegal immigration. Just because someone doesn't speak English doesn't mean that they aren't or can't be a productive member of society.

Sure I'd like it if everyone who lived here spoke fluent English. If they don't and are trying to learn, then I need to be patient and try to help them along their way.

BamaGrits84
04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I've seen this aspect of the debate brought up before. Doesn't the Bible say to love one another? Yes it does. It also says we are to obey the laws of the land except where they are a violation of God's law. And just because a Christian has an issue with illegal immigrants not being held accountable for breaking the law doesn't mean their is a lack of love. As parents we love our kids but that doesn't mean we just let them do whatever they want. Doing so would show a lack of love. No one is saying "hey lets just kick out all the latinos because we don't like them." If you really want to put God at the center of this issue then lets do. I believe our country's problem is that we fail to put God at the center of issues. So what's the best way to do that? Give people that are breaking the lawS (being here illegally & not paying income tax) a free pass? No that would be a contradiction to following the laws of the land. Load them all up in buses and just drop them off over the boarder? I don't think that is the Godly way to handle it either. I don't know the perfect answer but I know doing nothing is no longer an option the American people are ok with.

BamaGrits84
04-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Was it fair of you to assume that the guy at your work who locked his keys in his car was here illegally just because he didn't speak the language? If you think that they are here illegally, have you done your civic duty to report it to the authorities? Can you post some links to these illegals who think they are being treated unfairly and discriminated against?

Well yes that is why I assume he is illegal because in order to gain citizenship you have to be able to speak some English and he clearly could not. As for my civic duty, I'm going to keep that one to myself.

How is the USoA catering to illegals?
Hum lets see - in many states no proof of citizenship is required to receive government assistance. Schools have to spends time and resources trying to teach children who cannot speak English and whose parents can speak English well enough to even help these kids with their homework or communicate with the teachers to even understand when thier child is having a problem. And yes I all would conclude these parents are illegals because of the same reason stated above.

Don't they pay taxes when they make purchases? Shouldn't you instead be angry with the American companies that hire them?
Everyone pays sales taxes. I said INCOME tax. This week I paid $200 in taxes. And I'll go spend about 25% of my income on the purchase of items that will have sales tax. Why do I have to pay both & they don't?

How does one get away with crimes because of an illegal status?
When they get pulled over for a traffic violation they give a false name and address, how no ID to verify it. The cops have nothing they can do about it. Even if they arrest them the INS won't help to deport them. Same case. One robs someone, a witness follows them, tell the cops where they live, cops go to pick them up. Cops arrest them. A false name is provided - no way to verify it without ID. They sit in jail until a court date. get ordered to pay a fine, maybe some jail time & probation. And then they don't do it because the cops have no idea who the person really is and when the cops go back to the same house they picked the criminal up from guess what? Someone that can't speak English answered the door and has no idea what the police are saying or who in the world they are looking for.

They can always try to recover them from illegals too. Are you also angry with the citizens who rack up massive bills and don't pay?
Yes I'm disgusted with both. But American citizens usually don't lie about who they are. Hospitals can sue these people if no payment efforts are made. Illegals can give a false name and address and nothing can be done about it. I'm sure some Americans are sorry enough to do this too but most don't. Now let me say I don't agree with national health care but I do think there should be help for people who have a major medical problem and can't just write a multi thousand (or hundreds of thousands in some cases) check to pay a hospital bill. My sister didn't have insurance when she devoleped ARDS back in October. She ended up passing away from it. You know what her husband did the day she was hospitalized? Went to the hospital to see what he needed to be doing to make some type of payment arrangement or apply for help. The day after her funeral, he did the same thing. Because he is a responsible member of society. he knew it may take him his entire life time to pay off the $300,000 bill, but he wasn't go to just screw the place the took care of and tried to save his wife.

How does a kid of an illegal bring down the scores if the child is learning? Take a look at almost any online forum and see that our very own children and adults lack the most basic grammar and writing skills. It seems that you are placing the blame solely on illegal immigrants. If not, then my apologies. If these children of legal immigrants go home and teach their family English, isn't that a good thing?
i've got 1 son in a magent school. test scores are the best in the state, top 10 in the us. percentage of latinos - .3%. percentage of asians 14%. percentage of other non american (middle eastern, european, etc.) 7%. Reason being there are not enough quaified latino child who can pass the test to get in because of there language. I know all of the .3%. Dads are all business men and military who have taught their children Spanish and English. & fyi at this school spanish is taught beginning in kindergarten for 13 weeks of the school year. my youngest is going to a school with 14% latino starting next year. i've already been talking to parents who say the children whose parents cannot speak english don't do well in school. poor test scores effect school funding based on the no child left behind act. then local school boards have to spend money to higher specialist to help these kids learn English & spend money on the materials to teach them

I thought this thread was about the Alabama governor candidate wanting people to speak English if they were going to live in Alabama, not illegal immigration. Just because someone doesn't speak English doesn't mean that they aren't or can't be a productive member of society.
That's what it was about but it kind of transformed.

Sure I'd like it if everyone who lived here spoke fluent English. If they don't and are trying to learn, then I need to be patient and try to help them along their way. The thing is most are not trying to learn and know no english. They have no reson or desire to learn it. why would they? and those illegals who do still play the "i don't speak english" card when they get pulled over. I know - i've have some tell me that's what they do.

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Look here people. This is The United States of America. Saying that the English language is not our Language is like saying the American Flag isn't the American Flag. Our forefathers spoke English and 95% of this Country speaks the English language. Is it right for me to say that people shouldn't be allowed to speak their language? No. It is right for me to say that we Americans shouldn't have to learn their language to accommodate them. We shouldn't spend tax dollars teaching everyone their language or make every sign with every language on it. It should be our right to want to learn any language we want. If you want to be the one who doesn't want to educate yourself then that's fine. This is a Country that speaks English. We should not change who we are or what has made this Country great for so many years.
I know we have a big debate in this section every couple months about what this country was founded upon. Some say Christian beliefs and others think not. One thing I think we can all agree on is that this Country was based on FREEDOM. What does freedom mean to you? I know what it means to me? Freedom to me means being able to learn anything in this world that I want and to be able to use my knowledge to become anything I wanna do or do anything I want to do as long as I am not out their hurting a soul. Freedom means being able to Pray to my God and worship him at all times if I may choose. Freedom to me means being able to speak any language I want to. Does that mean we should have to pay for 50 different languages to be posted on every tv station, newspaper or Home depot door in this country. No. We as humans and as Gods children should want to be able to learn all about what God gave us. We should want to learn every language just in case
we might need to help our brother or sister who can't speak English out. We should have the desire to want to, but the good thing about Freedom is we have that right to choose. Freedom is everything. We as people on here disagree from time to time and sometimes a couple of us disagree all the time. We should not put hatred of any kind in our mouths. We should keep a positive attitude and try and help each other out at all times. Remember we are free. We are not going to always agree but we should always hit these discussions with respect towards each other. We don't need to make every issue a race issue either. Lets try and have a conversation and debate about serious issues and try and come to an agreement on why we feel the way we do. Lets do it with dignity and pride. Lets do it without racism being called every 5 seconds.

:wink:

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks honey!!

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM

True!! My ex-husband came here at 14yrs old on a Visa learned the language literally within a year and went to the Navy at age 17!! So if they want it bad enough they can learn it.. Its the older people that say they are embarrassed, but thats not an excuse.. You can't learn to ride a bike till you get on it and start peddling..:happydancing:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Buenos dias amigos. Que te pasa?

I'm glad that you find comfort with your belief in God. I'm doing just fine though without it. I don't need it to find comfort in my life, as life itself provides me with it. I don't need imaginary love from what I consider an imaginary God.

Look I am not insulting you so please do not insult my God. God loves you so much and all you do is down him. I just want you to know I love you and you will continue to be in my prayers.

Tyburn
04-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Look I am not insulting you so please do not insult my God. God loves you so much and all you do is down him. I just want you to know I love you and you will continue to be in my prayers.

:) Bless you Donald :)

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 09:05 PM
That was beautiful!! Buzzard, even though we disagree on religious beliefs I feel ya sometimes.. Your just trying to look on the opposite side of the coin..

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 09:06 PM
:) Bless you Donald :)

Thanks Dave. I appreciate it.

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
That was beautiful!! Buzzard, even though we disagree on religious beliefs I feel ya sometimes.. Your just trying to look on the opposite side of the coin..

I can understand if he was truly looking on the opposite side of the coin but Buzzards only defense is if we don't agree with what he says then we are racist. Sometimes I see his points when he is debating in a manner with respect to all, but I have heard him time and time again down my God. I as a Christian do not appreciate that and I find what he is doing very offensive and in a sort racist. It's ok if you have a reason not to believe in God but bring it out in the open and lets discuss it. It's not right for him to come on here and say God is imaginary. I know a little boy who passed away and right before he did he said he was going to sit at the right hand of Christ Jesus. How did he know this? He said he seen Jesus and wanted his mom to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Saviour.
I'm still stuck on the part that why won't you let someone love you. God wants to give you love. If someone came to you and just said can I love you, what would you say? I accept love from everyone and will give my love to all. I have said some very hateful things on this forum and offended a few people. I said most of of anger but the majority of what I said was out of stupidity. I was not intelligent enough to see that everyone is Gods people and instead of insulting you I should be praying for you. I should be here on my knees asking God to make my wrongs right and forgive me of the sins I have committed. I need to be here making me a better person but I have to understand I don't have the power to do so. I have to live my life as Holy as I can and understand that it is ok to make mistakes. I make mistakes all the time but not once have I ever not went back and thought of what I said or did and either admit or apologize or ask forgiveness for my mistakes. If I am on here, at work or spending time with my family I want them and you to understand I am only human. I am man enough to admit fault and humble enough to know I can't do this alone. I love y'all. I really do. I thank God for this forum and even though this is a post more about Christianity, I think it plays a huge part in our politics. God Bless.

DonnaMaria
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot.

My grandparents came here from Sicily in the 1930's. They didn't speak English when they arrived but they learned. They taught their children English because they were American. According to them it was the "right thing to do." They were no longer Sicilians. They were Americans.

America is made up of all different races and cultures, but the thing that unified us in the past was this:

once we got here from wherever we came from we were all Americans and we learned to speak English. The American language. Official language or not.

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I can understand if he was truly looking on the opposite side of the coin but Buzzards only defense is if we don't agree with what he says then we are racist. Sometimes I see his points when he is debating in a manner with respect to all, but I have heard him time and time again down my God. I as a Christian do not appreciate that and I find what he is doing very offensive and in a sort racist. It's ok if you have a reason not to believe in God but bring it out in the open and lets discuss it. It's not right for him to come on here and say God is imaginary. I know a little boy who passed away and right before he did he said he was going to sit at the right hand of Christ Jesus. How did he know this? He said he seen Jesus and wanted his mom to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Saviour.
I'm still stuck on the part that why won't you let someone love you. God wants to give you love. If someone came to you and just said can I love you, what would you say? I accept love from everyone and will give my love to all. I have said some very hateful things on this forum and offended a few people. I said most of of anger but the majority of what I said was out of stupidity. I was not intelligent enough to see that everyone is Gods people and instead of insulting you I should be praying for you. I should be here on my knees asking God to make my wrongs right and forgive me of the sins I have committed. I need to be here making me a better person but I have to understand I don't have the power to do so. I have to live my life as Holy as I can and understand that it is ok to make mistakes. I make mistakes all the time but not once have I ever not went back and thought of what I said or did and either admit or apologize or ask forgiveness for my mistakes. If I am on here, at work or spending time with my family I want them and you to understand I am only human. I am man enough to admit fault and humble enough to know I can't do this alone. I love y'all. I really do. I thank God for this forum and even though this is a post more about Christianity, I think it plays a huge part in our politics. God Bless.

I understand where you are coming from that's why I said he and I disagree on a religious level. I think you are doing the right thing by praying for him. I see where he is coming from on the humanitarian side sometimes. I really do. I think your admirable by admitting your mistakes.. Very good quality..:wink:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I understand where you are coming from that's why I said he and I disagree on a religious level. I think you are doing the right thing by praying for him. I see where he is coming from on the humanitarian side sometimes. I really do. I think your admirable by admitting your mistakes.. Very good quality..:wink:

And you're just hot lol. Very good quality. Seriously. I do understand him to a certain extent but when he downs or degrades My God then I have nothing left to do then to pray for him and his soul.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Nooooo, nobody ever does that around here! :laugh:
Not us for sure! :ninja:

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 10:41 PM
The English language may not be the Official language of the United States but it's a language that our forefathers spoke. It's a language that is taught primarily in our schools as a subject our kids have to pass in order to continue to the next grade. Although it may not be official, it is what we speak.
Well, if you want to be even more technical, the native language of Missouri is Siouan-Catawban spoken by the Crow of this area. Thus, the invading Europeans did the EXACT same thing these people are doing now.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Don't worry about Buzzard, he's liberal, he doesn't believe in God, well, at least in God-like principles. :ninja:

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, if you want to be even more technical, the native language of Missouri is Siouan-Catawban spoken by the Crow of this area. Thus, the invading Europeans did the EXACT same thing these people are doing now.

That may be true to an extent but the last time I checked Missouri was a state in the United States of America. We did take this land from Indians I agree. However our forefathers did a great job with what we have today. We don't have to have everything placed in a constitution in order for us as Americans to know whats official or not. Do me a favor. Turn on your T.V and go through the stations and hear what language people speak. Go to the library and see what language is printed in all the books. English is our official language. I don't see what the problem is with that.

rockdawg21
04-30-2010, 11:11 PM
That may be true to an extent but the last time I checked Missouri was a state in the United States of America. We did take this land from Indians I agree. However our forefathers did a great job with what we have today. We don't have to have everything placed in a constitution in order for us as Americans to know whats official or not. Do me a favor. Turn on your T.V and go through the stations and hear what language people speak. Go to the library and see what language is printed in all the books. English is our official language. I don't see what the problem is with that.
I'm just saying it's still a statement of opinion rather than fact. I agree with it, just being an argumentative butthole. :laugh:

Miss Foxy
04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm just saying it's still a statement of opinion rather than fact. I agree with it, just being an argumentative butthole. :laugh:

Your stirring the pot huh!!?? pacman lova'!!:stirthepot:

Black Mamba
04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Before anyone gets the pitchforks out, understand this: I'm all for legal immigrants learning English. There's no doubt about that.

But in terms of Native Americans, that's a totally different subject (not bashing ya Donald, just sharing what I've been taught in college :) ). Native Americans had to do a TON of fighting just to become citizens of this land, that is rightfully theirs. Native Americans didn't become full fledge citizens until 1924 under the Citizenship Act of 1924 (aka the Synder Act). And yes, the 14th amendment guarantees citizenship to persons born in the US, but only if "subject to the jurisdiction thereof," thus excluding Native Americans.

And also, Native Americans (Sioux Nation, Cherokee Nation, Blackfoot, Brulee, etc) are sovereign nations (meaning we have no rights consitutionally on their land). They fall under only federal jurisdiction, depending on what happens on their land. An example of a nation flexing their independence was during World War 2. The Iroquois (sp?) declared themselves independent of the United States, and declared war on I believe Germany (<- - - not too sure on where).

So what I'm getting at with the sovereign nation stuff is, whatever their official language is, it's their official language because Indians are sovereign. And I will say, it's a shame that the current generation of Native Americans cannot even communicate with their grandparents because of the need to conform to the "white man" rules.

donaldbreland
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Before anyone gets the pitchforks out, understand this: I'm all for legal immigrants learning English. There's no doubt about that.

But in terms of Native Americans, that's a totally different subject (not bashing ya Donald, just sharing what I've been taught in college :) ). Native Americans had to do a TON of fighting just to become citizens of this land, that is rightfully theirs. Native Americans didn't become full fledge citizens until 1924 under the Citizenship Act of 1924 (aka the Synder Act). And yes, the 14th amendment guarantees citizenship to persons born in the US, but only if "subject to the jurisdiction thereof," thus excluding Native Americans.

And also, Native Americans (Sioux Nation, Cherokee Nation, Blackfoot, Brulee, etc) are sovereign nations (meaning we have no rights consitutionally on their land). They fall under only federal jurisdiction, depending on what happens on their land. An example of a nation flexing their independence was during World War 2. The Iroquois (sp?) declared themselves independent of the United States, and declared war on I believe Germany (<- - - not too sure on where).

So what I'm getting at with the sovereign nation stuff is, whatever their official language is, it's their official language because Indians are sovereign. And I will say, it's a shame that the current generation of Native Americans cannot even communicate with their grandparents because of the need to conform to the "white man" rules.

Why does it have to be "White Man" rules? Why can't we stop using racist terms and say United States Rules.

donaldbreland
05-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Black Mamba I wasn't trying to say you were racist for using the term white men rules. I just get tired of everything being about race.

Black Mamba
05-01-2010, 12:26 AM
No worries.... :)

Why does it have to be "White Man" rules? Why can't we stop using racist terms and say United States Rules.

You want my honest answer? :)

Because that's who wrote history. Truly, look back at our history. And even better, if your son(s) or daughter(s) attend a public school, read their textbooks. From my generation, the textbooks reeked of Eurocentric bias. What about the other non Eurocentric points of views? Why weren't they included in the textbook? Anytime I asked that question in class all I got for answer was "this was the only view point that survived" or go research it on google.

Who made the majority of the rules for this Nation? Who wrote the "rules" for this Nation? When the rules were being written for this Nation, were those "freedoms" included for anyone who wasn't of Caucasian male descent? Those "freedoms" for anyone other than Caucasian male had to be won. Peacefully or brutally.

And I'll even go on a further and really apparent limb: Who held the presidential offices until Obama? Who up until, I'm going to guess 70s, 80s...held seats in the Senate and H.O.R.? Who held seats in the Supreme Court until Thurgood Marshall came into the view?

Realistically, there's one answer for all my questions beginning from the second paragraph.

J.B.
05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
And I'll even go on a further and really apparent limb: Who held the presidential offices until Obama?

http://www.jontanis.com/gallery/d/4025-1/obama-combo-breaker.jpg

Buzzard
05-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Well yes that is why I assume he is illegal because in order to gain citizenship you have to be able to speak some English and he clearly could not. As for my civic duty, I'm going to keep that one to myself.

From this site: http://www.visaus.com/citizen.html

Generally -- very generally -- you may not become a naturalized U.S. citizen unless you:

7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;

You will be required to take a literacy test to assess your knowledge of the English language, unless you are:

1. Unable to comply due to a documented disability;
2. Are more than 50 years old and have lived in the United States for 20 years or more as a permanent resident alien;
3. Are more than 55 years old and have lived in the United States for 15 years or more as a permanent resident alien.

You will be required to take a test of your knowledge of U.S. history and government unless you are:

1. Unable to comply due to a documented disability;
2. Are 65 years old or older and have been a permanent resident alien for more than 20 years.

If you are age 65 or older and have been a permanent resident of the US for 20 years you can take a simplified civics test in your language.

I wasn't really sure what the actual requirements about speaking/knowing the English language were, so I looked it up and decided to share with my new found knowledge with everyone else.

PS: I wasn't trying to single you out with this post BamaGrits84, I just wanted to add to my prior reply to you.