04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Warning, some people may find some of the pics "gross."

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2056

sender
04-29-2010, 04:45 AM
mannnnn the one of the guys foot seriously made me feel a little weird

TexasRN
04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Awesomely gross pics. Staph is no joke. My first day at my local JJ class I told the instructor that one guy had staph on the back of his leg. He pulled the guy aside and they decided it was a spider bite but the instructor played it safe and had him go to the doctor before he could come back to class. Turns out I was right....staph.

~Amy

County Mike
04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
http://emoticons4u.com/obscene/eck06.gif

KevinD
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
:duh:why did I look

VCURamFan
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Those were some gnarly pics, man. I will be bathing in Lysol after each night at the gym from here on out.

DonnaMaria
04-29-2010, 04:27 PM
my youngest daughter was home three days with a staph infection this week. nasty, nasty, serious, horrible thing!:scared0015:

She has had a total of four staph infections so far in her 9 years. They figured out through blood tests that she has a weakened immune system. She gets infections very easily .....staph being one kind that she is prone too.

so she is on yet ANOTHER round of antibiotics and an antibiotic cream. the poor baby.:cry: my heart breaks every time she gets sick like this. they are really painful. and the fever. the aches and pains.

and they scare the hell out of me. :cry::cry::cry:

The last one she had was in September.

TexasRN
04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
my youngest daughter was home three days with a staph infection this week. nasty, nasty, serious, horrible thing!:scared0015:

She has had a total of four staph infections so far in her 9 years. They figured out through blood tests that she has a weakened immune system. She gets infections very easily .....staph being one kind that she is prone too.

so she is on yet ANOTHER round of antibiotics and an antibiotic cream. the poor baby.:cry: my heart breaks every time she gets sick like this. they are really painful. and the fever. the aches and pains.

Have they ever told you to do a bleach bath for her? We used to tell parents to do that in the children's ER I worked in if the kid came in with staph. Half a tub of water with half a cup of bleach and wash only from the neck down. This should be done anytime she's had contact with a gym, PE with matts at school, or any other high risk area. She can shower after the bath to remove the bleach smell and wash her face and hair.

~Amy

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Have they ever told you to do a bleach bath for her? We used to tell parents to do that in the children's ER I worked in if the kid came in with staph. Half a tub of water with half a cup of bleach and wash only from the neck down. This should be done anytime she's had contact with a gym, PE with matts at school, or any other high risk area. She can shower after the bath to remove the bleach smell and wash her face and hair.

~Amy

never heard of that .. but it would work .. that stuff kills anything ...

Tyburn
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Can I ask...is Staph a form of necrosis? because it certainly looks like it :ninja:

TexasRN
04-29-2010, 06:48 PM
never heard of that .. but it would work .. that stuff kills anything ...

There were a few years when I was a kid that we lived in Missouri and there are things called seed ticks which were the size of poppy seeds and you could get like 50 on your left foot where your sock would be and the only way to get them off was to take a bleach bath because it killed them. So I've done them myself and recommended them to others. It really works.

~Amy

DonnaMaria
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
There were a few years when I was a kid that we lived in Missouri and there are things called seed ticks which were the size of poppy seeds and you could get like 50 on your left foot where your sock would be and the only way to get them off was to take a bleach bath because it killed them. So I've done them myself and recommended them to others. It really works.

~Amy

I actually had to do the same thing a few years ago when I walked on a tick nest in the park.......

That sounds like good advice for Corrine. I'll have to try that. Right now she is miserable and still in a lot of pain. And it itches. The itch is driving her crazy.

I've seen pics like those before because Corrine's doctor showed me them when she got her first infection. He wanted to make sure I took her treatment seriously.

I did.:scared0015:

Another thing about infections......just to add to the gross factor of the pictures, is the smell. Staph infections smell absolutely disgusting. Nasty, gross -I'm- gonna- hurl- on- the- floor kinda smell.:sick: When I treated Corrine's first wound I almost passed out.........:wacko:

TexasRN
04-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I actually had to do the same thing a few years ago when I walked on a tick nest in the park.......

That sounds like good advice for Corrine. I'll have to try that. Right now she is miserable and still in a lot of pain. And it itches. The itch is driving her crazy.

I've seen pics like those before because Corrine's doctor showed me them when she got her first infection. He wanted to make sure I took her treatment seriously.

I did.:scared0015:

Another thing about infections......just to add to the gross factor of the pictures, is the smell. Staph infections smell absolutely disgusting. Nasty, gross -I'm- gonna- hurl- on- the- floor kinda smell.:sick: When I treated Corrine's first wound I almost passed out.........:wacko:

Poor baby and poor mama. I know that smell well unfortunately. I have had to many dressing changes and wound packing. Seriouslyl, I'd bleach bath that baby girl weekly and any time there was a concern. Also, there's a product you can buy called hibiclens. She can use this in the shower. It's at Walmart and can be a little pricey but it's a pink liquid that we use as soap on our patients before surgery. We give it to them and tell them to shower using it and then we do another wash with it at the hospital. It will kill any staph. So if she gets a little sore or say she cuts herself shaving her legs when she's older, she should wash it with hibiclens.

~Amy

DonnaMaria
04-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I will definately get that stuff. Tomorrow. ASAP.

Thanks!

flo
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
:duh:why did I look

I'm asking myself the same thing.

:jaw-dropping:

:yuck:

:sick:

:vomit:

flo
04-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Oh no. :sad: That's just awful, DonnaMaria, poor thing.

TexasRN
04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I will definately get that stuff. Tomorrow. ASAP.

Thanks!

I keep hibiclens at home and clean ANY cut or wound with it. It is outstanding stuff. And it doesn't sting!

~Amy

atomdanger
04-30-2010, 01:02 AM
http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/staph/sherdog.jpg

HOLY

atomdanger
04-30-2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.mmagearguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/boxmaster.jpg

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Can I ask...is Staph a form of necrosis? because it certainly looks like it :ninja:

Community Acquired MRSA (CA-MRSA) has a virulence factor, Panton-Valentine Leukocidin (PVL), which can cause necrosis.

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 04:24 AM

Be sure to trim her fingernails short. That is often how the Staph is inoculated in the skin.

Hygiene is very important. Shower immediately after exercise. Use a clean towel with each shower. Avoid using shared soap or towels, pillowcases or other personal items. Avoid communal whirlpools and shared exercise equipment.

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Poor baby and poor mama. I know that smell well unfortunately. I have had to many dressing changes and wound packing. Seriouslyl, I'd bleach bath that baby girl weekly and any time there was a concern. Also, there's a product you can buy called hibiclens. She can use this in the shower. It's at Walmart and can be a little pricey but it's a pink liquid that we use as soap on our patients before surgery. We give it to them and tell them to shower using it and then we do another wash with it at the hospital. It will kill any staph. So if she gets a little sore or say she cuts herself shaving her legs when she's older, she should wash it with hibiclens.

~Amy

The generic name is Chlorhexidine. Leave it on for at least one minute before rinsing. Using 1 weekend per month for one year may help reduce bacterial count on skin.

If she has multiple infections (3 or more per year), you might want to discuss decolonizing her with your physician. The physician might try something like Mupirocin ointment to the inside of the nostrils and a course of oral antibiotics like Bactrim and Rifampin.

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 04:32 AM
http://www.mmagearguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/boxmaster.jpg

Soaps with Tea Tree Oil have activity against Staph.

Play The Man
04-30-2010, 04:35 AM
http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/staph/sherdog.jpg

HOLY

With that visible bone, he has Calcaneal osteomyelitis. He will need debridement, IV antibiotics, a muscle flap and a skin graft.

Bobby71
04-30-2010, 05:48 AM
I've come home from work many nights and taken a hibiclens shower.

MattHughesRocks
04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Oh my gosh why did I come in here?!!!:scared0011:

That last picture...well you may as well just cut it off whatever "it" was!:scared0011::scared0011::scared0011:

I'm totally NOT coming in here again:laugh:

J.B.
04-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Why would anybody come in here again?

We will just wait until the next top 10 staph infections....:laugh:

Oh crap... I came back to respond to you...:dunce:

TexasRN
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
The generic name is Chlorhexidine. Leave it on for at least one minute before rinsing. Using 1 weekend per month for one year may help reduce bacterial count on skin.

If she has multiple infections (3 or more per year), you might want to discuss decolonizing her with your physician. The physician might try something like Mupirocin ointment to the inside of the nostrils and a course of oral antibiotics like Bactrim and Rifampin.

Yep. We actually had to switch to the specific hibiclens brand at the office instead of the generic. It had to do with the packaging, we could get individual use packets of hibiclens instead of using a bottle of chlorhexidine. When we made the switch I had to throw out the bottles so I threw them out at my gym to the JJ instructor. I gave him like 20 bottles and kept a few for home use.

~Amy

TexasRN
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh my gosh why did I come in here?!!!:scared0011:

That last picture...well you may as well just cut it off whatever "it" was!:scared0011::scared0011::scared0011:

What? This is like one of my favorite threads! :laugh:

~Amy

VCURamFan
04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
What? This is like one of my favorite threads! :laugh:

~Amy
That's because you're weird! :wacko:

DonnaMaria
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Be sure to trim her fingernails short. That is often how the Staph is inoculated in the skin.

Hygiene is very important. Shower immediately after exercise. Use a clean towel with each shower. Avoid using shared soap or towels, pillowcases or other personal items. Avoid communal whirlpools and shared exercise equipment.

Both you and Amy have given me some excellent advice. I really appreciate it!

She does have the short nails already, but we will try the bathing with the stuff you mentioned. And I will also bring up the other things that you have suggested. She has been lucky so far and all her infections have cleared up quickly with no scars.......... but I am always afraid of the NEXT infection to come down the pike.

flo
04-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Amy, I just picked up the Hibiclens you recommended to Donna, thanks.

TexasRN
04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Amy, I just picked up the Hibiclens you recommended to Donna, thanks.

:laugh: We'll all be very clean on the MH Forums....

Keep in mind though that we have a normal amount of bacteria on our skin that is helpful to us and that protects us. If you continuously kill all of your "good" bacteria, you can have overgrowths of bad bacteria. It's why antibiotics cause yeast infections. I don't think we should live in a world free of all germs so keep a logical balance and all will be well. I use hibiclens but it's maybe a couple of times a year.

~Amy

flo
04-30-2010, 11:27 PM
:laugh: We'll all be very clean on the MH Forums....

Keep in mind though that we have a normal amount of bacteria on our skin that is helpful to us and that protects us. If you continuously kill all of your "good" bacteria, you can have overgrowths of bad bacteria. It's why antibiotics cause yeast infections. I don't think we should live in a world free of all germs so keep a logical balance and all will be well. I use hibiclens but it's maybe a couple of times a year.

~Amy

I'll admit to being a little OCD...

But mainly I got it because I work outside a lot and am always cutting myself or getting bit because I don't like to wear gloves.

Yesterday I unloaded a half yard of mulch mixed with manure and some dang bug in it bit me twice so I figured the hibiclens would be perfect to have in our mud room (and it is). :)

flo
04-30-2010, 11:28 PM

~Amy

But that's a good precautionary warning; I tend to "overdo" everything. :unsure-1:

TexasRN
05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll admit to being a little OCD...

But mainly I got it because I work outside a lot and am always cutting myself or getting bit because I don't like to wear gloves.

Yesterday I unloaded a half yard of mulch mixed with manure and some dang bug in it bit me twice so I figured the hibiclens would be perfect to have in our mud room (and it is). :)

Yeah, I use it for cuts, bites, etc. I was mostly posting a warning because I can see people seeing that a nurse had posted about this hibiclens product and going out and showering with it every day. That's not my advice so I wanted to be clear.

And I'm OCD as well. If I'm stressed, I clean or bake and then clean. :laugh:

~Amy

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
05-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I use it for cuts, bites, etc. I was mostly posting a warning because I can see people seeing that a nurse had posted about this hibiclens product and going out and showering with it every day. That's not my advice so I wanted to be clear.

And I'm OCD as well. If I'm stressed, I clean or bake and then clean. :laugh:

~Amy

OCD on cleaning and baking too!!!!:)

Unfortunately, I eat what I bake!!!!:sad: