PDA

View Full Version : Bret Michaels Hospitalized w/ Brain Hemorrhage

flo
04-24-2010, 04:45 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637737/20100423/bret_michaels.jhtml

How awful, I hope the guy will fully recover. Seems like he's just gotten his second wind artistically, like John Travolta did in Pulp Fiction.

MattHughesRocks
04-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Hope he pulls through ok :sad:

J.B.
04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I just read that he is still in critical condition. :unsure:

Thoughts and prayers are with him for sure.

Play The Man
04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
It sure seems strange that he has this happen a few weeks after appendicitis. He is a diabetic. I wonder if he has a septic aneurysm.

Bonnie
04-25-2010, 02:38 AM
It sure seems strange that he has this happen a few weeks after appendicitis. He is a diabetic. I wonder if he has a septic aneurysm.

I googled this, Play, but there were so many "medical" terms it was hard to understand. Could you put it in layman's terms for those of us who aren't braniacs or medical people. :rolleyes: Pretty please.... :)

matthughesfan21
04-25-2010, 03:07 AM
I googled this, Play, but there were so many "medical" terms it was hard to understand. Could you put it in layman's terms for those of us who aren't braniacs or medical people. :rolleyes: Pretty please.... :)
there are several septums in the body, but in this case it would be referring to the septum pellucidum(sp?) in the brain...It basically runs vertically through the midline of the brain seperating the lateral ventricles

So basically it would be an aneurysm(weakness in the wall of an artery that causes dilation or a short of ballooning effect in the blood vessel which could potentially rupture) at the area of the septum pellucidum

rockdawg21
04-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Hope he'll be ok, he always seems like a really good guy in his interviews and tv show.

Silverback
04-25-2010, 05:24 AM
I hope that everything works out for him, I met him last year at Ribfest in downtown St. Louis, seemed liked a good person, put on a very good show.

J.B.
04-25-2010, 06:29 AM
I guess I gotta be the one to post it.... and you all know it rocks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqjGywYOI8

:laugh:

Play The Man
04-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Diabetics are extremely susceptible to infection. He reportedly had appendicitis a few weeks ago. If it was a bad infection, like an abscess, he could have had bacteria released in his bloodstream. Bacteria in the bloodstream could travel to other places in the body, like a heart valve or the brain, where it could cause a mycotic or septic (i.e. infectious) aneurysm. Purely speculation on my part.

Buzzard
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I guess I gotta be the one to post it.... and you all know it rocks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqjGywYOI8

I was scared to click thinking it was Every Rose, whew.:laugh:

J.B.
04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I was scared to click thinking it was Every Rose, whew.:laugh:

Originally, thats what it was gonna be, but I couldn't do it :laugh:

atomdanger
04-26-2010, 04:05 AM
This guy is crazy, a diabetic, and he drinks like a fish.

Bonnie
04-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Diabetics are extremely susceptible to infection. He reportedly had appendicitis a few weeks ago. If it was a bad infection, like an abscess, he could have had bacteria released in his bloodstream. Bacteria in the bloodstream could travel to other places in the body, like a heart valve or the brain, where it could cause a mycotic or septic (i.e. infectious) aneurysm. Purely speculation on my part.

Thanks Play' and MHF21. Here's an article from today:

What May Have Caused Bret Michaels' Brain Hemorrhage? (Monday, April 26, 2010--By Karlie Pouliot)

Moments before Bret Michaels was rushed to the emergency room, a source close to the former Poison frontman said Michaels was in excruciating pain, complaining of a headache that felt like he was “getting hit in the head with a baseball bat over and over again,” – a relatively typical symptom of a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

"Usually patients say it’s the worst headache of their life,” Dr. Nicholas Bambakidis, a neurosurgeon at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio told FoxNews.com. "The most common cause is a brain aneurysm. Typically the aneurysms are present for many years — they may not bleed for years — either they grow or the wall of the artery gets thin enough that the blood starts leaking from the aneurysm.”

According to the Mayo Clinic, in any given year, an estimated six million people in the U.S. have aneurysms, but only a small percentage of those aneurysms will hemorrhage.

“Aneurysms are congenital and change in shape overtime,” Dr. Carolyn Brockington, director of the stroke center at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Medical Center in New York City said. “You can start with a very small one, but over a lifetime, the size of the aneurysm can increase. Many people have an aneurysm and don’t know because they don’t have symptoms.”

In the case of a subarachnoid hemorrhage, the bleeding occurs in the area between the brain and the thin tissues that cover the brain. Along with an aneurysm, there are two other main causes of this type of brain injury, which include trauma to the head and inflammation or infection in the brain.

In the case of Michaels, we still don’t know what exactly caused his brain injury, but we do know doctors discovered bleeding at the base of his brain stem when he was admitted to the hospital on Thursday. Further tests were planned for Monday to help pinpoint the exact source, according to the 47-year-old rocker's Web site. For now, he remains in intensive care, where Bambakidis said he could stay for the next several weeks.

“It’s all variable,” he said. “Twenty-five percent of patients don’t even make it to the hospital and 25 percent end up with some kind of neurologic problem even after successful treatment. A patient usually remains in the hospital two to three weeks after the bleeding episode.”

As for treatment, there are several options.

“Again it all depends on the extent of the injury, but one procedure is to open the skull where surgeons ‘clip the neck’ of the aneurysm, which is like tying a knot at the end of a balloon so blood can’t get into the brain,” Brockington said. “The other one involves endovascular coiling.”

This minimally invasive procedure is often performed to avoid brain surgery and involves treating the aneurysm through a catheter. Either way, Michaels still has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

“Even if he does OK with a surgical procedure to treat an aneurysm, there’s still two to three weeks where he’s at risk of having stroke,” Bambakidis said. “That’s because a bleeding episode creates a reaction in the blood vessels of the brain and they can spasm and get very narrow… and that can cause a stroke itself. There are things we do in the ICU to minimize that risk, but there is still an incidence in 10 to 20 percent of patients that can lead to permanent neurological injury,” he added.

This major health crisis comes just weeks after Michaels underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 12 after complaining of stomach pains before he was scheduled to perform at Sea World in San Antonio. Michaels later wrote on his Web site that although the surgery "has taken its toll," doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

I wonder why it's taking them so long to locate the source of the bleed.

flo
04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the update, Bonnie. Sounds like he's far from "out of the woods" yet.

Miss Foxy
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Seriously I can't handle it Bret is one of my favorite men ever!! His beautiful smile and eyes..I am so sad :cry:..First Corey Haim, now my Bret...:sad:

rockdawg21
05-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Doctor says he will make a full recovery! :happydancing:

http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/bret-michaels-might-be-ready-to-rock-in-weeks-1549844.story

flo
05-01-2010, 06:45 AM
That's great news!

Play The Man
05-06-2010, 09:53 PM
He was released from the hospital. The news station showed a picture of him in his hospital bed and he was wearing a bandana. Does the guy ever take that thing off?

MattHughesRocks
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
His security blanket I guess but good news!:w00t:

Miss Foxy
05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
He was released from the hospital. The news station showed a picture of him in his hospital bed and he was wearing a bandana. Does the guy ever take that thing off?

He wears extensions.. He's balding.. Poor Bret.. Im glad he made it!!:happydancing:

Bonnie
05-07-2010, 12:20 AM
He wears extensions.. He's balding.. Poor Bret.. Im glad he made it!!:happydancing:

I haven't seen him without his bandana, but he did take his shirt off on the Apprentice, and girlfriend, that man looked mighty fine.....mighty fine. :laugh:

I hope he really is going to be okay. He seems like a really nice guy from what I've seen. Very creative mind! :)

Miss Foxy
05-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I haven't seen him without his bandana, but he did take his shirt off on the Apprentice, and girlfriend, that man looked mighty fine.....mighty fine. :laugh:

I hope he really is going to be okay. He seems like a really nice guy from what I've seen. Very creative mind! :)

I love Bret!! Haha.. Since I was young.. My stepfather loved Poison so I grew up with long haired guys and Bret won my heart at an early age!!:ashamed:

flo
05-07-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm so glad he recovered, that was a loooong haul in the hospital.

Play The Man
05-24-2010, 05:39 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37264009

Bret Michaels has suffered what doctors call a "warning stroke," or a transient ischemic attack, according to his Web site.

The rocker, 47 — who is still recovering from a brain hemorrhage — was "readmitted to the hospital this week after suffering numbness on the left side of his body, predominately his face and hands," according to a statement posted on his site.

While undergoing tests — including an MRI and CT scan — doctors also discovered he has a hole in his heart.

The news is "devastating...to Bret and his family," says his neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Zabramski. Michaels has two daughters, Raine, 10, and Jorja, 5, with ex girlfriend Kristi Lynn Gibson.

Continues Dr. Zabramski, "The good news is that it is operable and treatable and we think we may have diagnosed the problem that caused the...warning stroke; however we feel it is highly unlikely this is connected to the brain hemorrhage he suffered just a few weeks earlier. Once again, it is great that he quickly reacted to the severe numbness and got to the hospital immediately."

Dr. Zabramski adds, "I realize Bret wants to make a full recovery so that he can be active with his family, attempt to attend the finale of Celebrity Apprentice and especially get back on the road to continue making music. Without a doubt he is very determined to get healthy and make a 100 percent recovery.

"Medically speaking it is a fantastic attitude both mentally and physically for him to have. However, Bret's brain and body are not quite 100 percent yet, especially with the hole found in his heart."

Says his rep Janna Elias, "Bret wants everyone to know he cannot thank you enough for all of the well wishes, prayers and good vibes you have sent his way. Even though these last few months have been tough on him and his family, especially this most recent setback, he is in good spirits, great medical hands and is positive and hopeful that everything is going to be OK. He is up, walking, talking, continuing his daily rehab and very happy to be alive but he has made it clear he is sick and tired of being in the hospital and is ready to rock again."

It sounds as if he had a DVT and flicked off a piece through a PFO.

flo
05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the update, PTM. He was on the Celebrity Apprentice live show tonight (against the wishes of his docs) and looked very good. Thinner and with a noticeable limp, but good.

He got a standing O when he walked on the set.

MattHughesRocks
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
And he won! :w00t:

MattHughesRocks
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Ooops! ***spoiler!***

Bonnie
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Ooops! ***spoiler!***

Better late than never! :laugh:

I've been rooting for him since the beginning to win the whole thing. :w00t: He just seems like a really terrific guy. I hope he's going to be okay. You could tell he seemed like he wasn't feeling well.

VCURamFan
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
And he won! :w00t:
I'm so stoked about that. I've always had a soft spot for guilty pleasures like his show "Rock of Love & a Shot of Penicillin". :laugh:

I gotta be honest, I was a little disappointed he didn't get to do both of his commercials. I thought it would have been really powerful to have the serious one included.

Bonnie
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm so stoked about that. I've always had a soft spot for guilty pleasures like his show "Rock of Love & a Shot of Penicillin". :laugh:

I gotta be honest, I was a little disappointed he didn't get to do both of his commercials. I thought it would have been really powerful to have the serious one included.

I know, I was really looking forward to seeing what he came up with for both of them. When he was giving his presentation and he stopped reading from his paper and just started talking from his heart, he was fantastic. He's very creative, quick on his feet and funny! And, such a gentleman!

One of the things I loved about Bret was he worked just as hard when someone else was project manager, to help them win, as when he was the project manager. Summer Sanders kind of ticked me off when she didn't immediately say she wanted Bret to win and that he was a great project manager. :angry:

Bret ROCKS! :) Love that name, "Troparocka"....totally has Snappitude! :laugh:

Play The Man
05-25-2010, 03:20 AM

Penicillin?!?! I'm thinking more of Ceftriaxone with some Azithromycin . . . and possibly some Acyclovir . . . and while were at it some HAART PEP!:laugh: