PDA

View Full Version : Almeida vs Hughes UFC 117

chum567
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
I guess Edward Gibbon was right: Revenge is profitable.

Ricardo Almeida may get the chance to take his frustrations out on Matt Hughes in a possible welterweight showdown at the upcoming UFC 117 event planned for Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., according to a McTweet from ESPN's Franklin McNeil.

"Cachorrão" should be in high spirits considering he's the winner of three straight. The grappling wizard recently made Matt Brown look mortal in their 170-pound clash at UFC 111: "St. Pierre vs. Hardy" last March.

His celebration was short lived however, as his Master and longtime friend Renzo Gracie was stopped by the flinty farmboy at UFC 112: "Invincible" earlier this month.

Almeida has looked good since dropping to 170-pounds, but will be be good enough to overcome the former welterweight champion?

Hughes battered Gracie en route to a third round TKO stoppage in Abu Dhabi. It was his second straight win since dining on Thiago Alves' knee at UFC 85: "Bedlam" in June 2008.

The former champ has been particular about his opponents since entering the twilight of his career, but doesn't seem to mind adding another Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter to his combat resume.

UFC 117 may feature the put-up-or-shut-up middleweight title fight between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva -- though the promotion has yet to release any details about the August 7 card or its participants.

Stay tuned.http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/14...hes-vs-ricardo

Llamafighter
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Another one...
This is a good matchup! Matt already has a grappling win over him:)
after this, Matt can whoop on Rolles:)

- ALMEIDA VS. HUGHES IN THE WORKS FOR UFC 117
Friday, April 23, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you fight someone from the Renzo Gracie academy, you're fighting the whole team.

It looks like Matt Hughes might be going for the actual trifecta of top fighters from the family of schools, as it's likely the former welterweight champion will face one of the top Renzo Gracie black belts to ever compete in MMA with Ricardo Almeida looking like his next opponent at UFC 117 in August.

Negotiations are ongoing and sources close to the bout indicated to MMAWeekly.com on Friday that the fight is in the works. Franklin McNeil of ESPN.com first reported the fight's possibility on Friday.

Hughes last competed at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi where he defeated the patriarch of the academy and legend of the sport Renzo Gracie. The former welterweight king employed a smart strategy of stand-up to keep from the ground game with Gracie, and eventually tagged him in the third round to earn the TKO stoppage.

It was the second win in a row for Hughes who also defeated Matt Serra, albeit in a somewhat controversial decision at UFC 98 last May.

Since the fight ended with Gracie just two weeks ago, top student Ricardo Almeida has made it no secret that he hoped to get a shot at Hughes in his next fight. Almeida fought a very tough and game opponent in Matt Brown in his last fight out at UFC 111 in New Jersey.

Almeida looked at his best in the fight, hitting Brown with good strikes before setting up a takedown, and finishing him off with a rear naked choke in the 2nd round. The win marked Almeida's debut in the welterweight division, and now he's gunning for a little bit of redemption for his teacher and long time friend, Renzo Gracie.

While no bout agreements have been issued for the fight, it appears at this time the fighters have at least verbally agreed to meet on the August card. UFC 117 is set to take place in Oakland, CA with a main event featuring middleweight champion Anderson Silva against Chael Sonnen in what is sure to be a grudge match for the ages as well.

MattHughesRocks
04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
And right across the bridge :happydancing:

J.B.
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
That is cool! :)

I'm gonna have to start planning a trip to Cali....:ninja:

Mac
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Man , i was praying for St Louis.

MattHughesRocks
04-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Sucka! Man , i was praying for St Louis.

Llamafighter
04-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Man , i was praying for St Louis.

ditto!
but surely one of your fleet of cars can make it the 3,000 miles to Oakland.:laugh:

TLC
04-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Oakland's right down the road!

TLC
04-24-2010, 04:09 AM
I've never been to a UFC event...how far out do the tickets go on sale?

MattHughesRocks
04-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Usually just right after an event. For instance, UFC 112 was on the 10th, 113 should have went on sale the 11th.At least that's how they used to do it. I don't pay as much attention anymore :unsure-1:

MattHughesRocks
04-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Hughes' next victim:
http://www.ufc.com/RicardoAlmeida

TLC
04-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm excited that matt's fighting in my back yard, but amd I the only person here that feels this guy's just not in Matt's League?

bj44
04-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm excited that matt's fighting in my back yard, but amd I the only person here that feels this guy's just not in Matt's League?

he was a split decision loss away from a middleweight title shot not to long ago!!!

Tyburn
04-24-2010, 05:54 PM

About NOW :laugh:

Seriously...the moment they go on sale!

Irish Pride
04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
he was a split decision loss away from a middleweight title shot not to long ago!!!

And he has one win in the WW division... I would think this wouldn't up Matt on the totem poll much. He needs top wins. Renzo didn't advance him much and a win against a guy with one fight in the division won't advance him much either.

Tyburn
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I think this is a good fight for Matt :w00t:

Liddellfan
04-24-2010, 07:36 PM
This is a GREAT fight for Hughes...........to put on another clinic.:punch:

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
04-29-2010, 02:34 AM
I was hoping for a re-match with Thiago Alvez!!!:punch:

I dont know much about this Ricardo guy.....but, I do know it
wont be a good day for him when he steps into the ring with Matt.....

But.....the Alvez fight was disappointing....short notice, the Alvez' lack of cutting weight....I really want to see this re-match. Alvez wont be so lucky next time!:)

Llamafighter
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I was hoping for a re-match with Thiago Alvez!!!:punch:

I dont know much about this Ricardo guy.....but, I do know it
wont be a good day for him when he steps into the ring with Matt.....

But.....the Alvez fight was disappointing....short notice, the Alvez' lack of cutting weight....I really want to see this re-match. Alvez wont be so lucky next time!:)

I think this gets Matt at least another shot at Thiago.
I think they want this one because it's a good story. More student avenging teacher.

flo
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
"Almeida has looked good since dropping to 170-pounds, but will be be good enough to overcome the former welterweight champion?"
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/14...hes-vs-ricardo
No.

:laugh:

Vizion
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
His biggest victory was going the distance with Kendall Grove at MW.

That's not bad, but 4 out of his last 5 fights have been decisions.

Irish Pride
05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
His biggest victory was going the distance with Kendall Grove at MW.

That's not bad, but 4 out of his last 5 fights have been decisions.

and Matt wants to face top guys to get him back in title contention or I thought that's what he said? I don't see how this gets him back in title contention. The guy has one fight in WW...:unsure:

bj44
05-04-2010, 05:00 AM
And he has one win in the WW division... I would think this wouldn't up Matt on the totem poll much. He needs top wins. Renzo didn't advance him much and a win against a guy with one fight in the division won't advance him much either.

n Vitor Belfort has zero wins in the mw division whats your point... Almedia has been a respectable fighter for years and its obvious there selling a grudge match here because of Matts wins over serra and Renzo... This is a good fight!!!

Irish Pride
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
n Vitor Belfort has zero wins in the mw division whats your point... Almedia has been a respectable fighter for years and its obvious there selling a grudge match here because of Matts wins over serra and Renzo... This is a good fight!!!

I know how they are MARKETING the fight...that's not my point.

First I'm not bashing Matt at all...this is my point. After his loss to Thiago people were saying, who do you think Matt should fight next? I mentioned Dennis Hallman. He had beaten Matt twice, once in the UFC. I thought it would be easily marketable and allow Matt to avenge two losses. People here on the forums responded with LEGITMATE opinions about that. They stated that Hughes has more to lose if he loses that fight then what he would gain. I agree. If he won, he would avenge two losses. But if he lost he would lose to a fighter just returning to the UFC and not a main event guy. After the Thiago fight I thought Matt said that he wanted to face TOP level guys. Since then he has fought Renzo Gracie. A 43 year old fighter that had not fought in three years. And who's last "true" win was against Carlos Newton in 2006. Now, this fight was easily marketed. Hughes had beat a Gracie already and now would be facing another. I understand the marketing, but Renzo was far from a "top" guy in the UFC. His next fight is against Ricardo Almeida who's had only one fight in WW and is no where near top competition in the WW division.

I just feel that if Matt said he wanted top competition, that Renzo and Almeida do not fit this. I support Matt. I want him to kick Ricardo's butt. It just seems like nobody is confused by these match-ups and the fact that Matt wanted top competition. When I responded with Dennis Hallman people jumped on me (not attacking me mind you) because Dennis isn't top competition. How is Renzo or Almeida top competition? (Nobody answers this question, they just point to the marketing of the fight and not Matt's words of wanting top competition and again I am only stating that I THINK that's what Matt said, pretty sure but I have no quote for it)

BamaGrits84
05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm ready for the rematch with Alves. If memory serves me correctly I read or maybe saw on youtube in an interview from Matt that Alves is the only person he has ever asked for a rematch with. Maybe Almeida is not the top competition Matt wants. But hey it's a fight. Better than us having to wait over a year to see him fight. Didn't Alves get hurt anyways? I was thinking he pulled out of a fight over an injury recently.

JohnnyB
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I know I read somewhere (around the time of finding out about the Renzo fight) that Matt was at a point in his career where he was no longer interested in a championship run. As I recall, he was looking for "big name" fights, instead of taking on top contenders. He also mentioned that he had no interest in the likes of Koscheck, Fitch, and Swick when they all called him out at the same time.

Sorry I couldn't find the link... I tried! :unsure:

Irish Pride
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I know I read somewhere (around the time of finding out about the Renzo fight) that Matt was at a point in his career where he was no longer interested in a championship run. As I recall, he was looking for "big name" fights, instead of taking on top contenders. He also mentioned that he had no interest in the likes of Koscheck, Fitch, and Swick when they all called him out at the same time.

Sorry I couldn't find the link... I tried! :unsure:

Aren't "big name" fights and top contenders the same thing?:blink:

JohnnyB
05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
No... "big name" fights refers to certain fighters that have some sort of history, or maybe an older legend, or some fighter with a marketable storyline.

Renzo, for example, was Serra's instructor, who Matt had beat. And Renzo himself had beat Miletich, who was Matt's instructor. It was a marketable storyline, as is Almeida.

It's like Randy fighting Coleman. No one thought Coleman would win, but it was a good storyline, with two legends going at it.

Matt has no reason to risk anything at this point in his career, so I doubt we'll be seeing the likes of Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, etc. anytime soon...

Although I don't think the fight will happen, Dennis Hallman would be another example of this idea.

VCURamFan
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
No... "big name" fights refers to certain fighters that have some sort of history, or maybe an older legend, or some fighter with a marketable storyline.

Renzo, for example, was Serra's instructor, who Matt had beat. And Renzo himself had beat Miletich, who was Matt's instructor. It was a marketable storyline, as is Almeida.

It's like Randy fighting Coleman. No one thought Coleman would win, but it was a good storyline, with two legends going at it.

Matt has no reason to risk anything at this point in his career, so I doubt we'll be seeing the likes of Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, etc. anytime soon...

Although I don't think the fight will happen, Dennis Hallman would be another example of this idea.
I'm going to disagree with you just slightly, but only because I think your category is too broad.

I think having 3 distinctions (Top Contenders, Big Names & Good Stories) makes better sense. The Alves fight was a Top Contender (winner moves to title shot). The Gracie fights were Big Name (someone whose name is widely recognized, even if he's not contender). The Almeida fight would be a Good Story (he's not a highly-recognizable name/face, but it's easy to market the whole "cleaning out the gym" angle).

Obviously the best match-ups are combinations of all three (i.e. Rashad/Rampage), but just so long as it's got at leat one, it's main card worthy.

And since Matt is a HUGE Name, he will never be on a pre-lim! :happydancing:

Irish Pride
05-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm going to disagree with you just slightly, but only because I think your category is too broad.

I think having 3 distinctions (Top Contenders, Big Names & Good Stories) makes better sense. The Alves fight was a Top Contender (winner moves to title shot). The Gracie fights were Big Name (someone whose name is widely recognized, even if he's not contender). The Almeida fight would be a Good Story (he's not a highly-recognizable name/face, but it's easy to market the whole "cleaning out the gym" angle).

Obviously the best match-ups are combinations of all three (i.e. Rashad/Rampage), but just so long as it's got at leat one, it's main card worthy.

I can agree with this, specifically the 3 distinctions.

Tyburn
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM

Repeat after me "I have built a Taxonomy by creating three Categories in which one can bracket fighters for the rightful distinction of Main Event level Status"

It just sounds so much better and means exactly the same thing....and some people accuse me of waffle :laugh:

VCURamFan
05-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Repeat after me "I have built a Taxonomy by creating three Categories in which one can bracket fighters for the rightful distinction of Main Event level Status"

It just sounds so much better and means exactly the same thing....and some people accuse me of waffle :laugh:
OR I could just say "the best match-ups are combinations of all three (i.e. Rashad/Rampage), but just so long as it's got at leat one, it's main card worthy."

O wait! I already did!!! :happydancing:

See, Dave, just because you know big words doesn't mean you have to use big words.

Tyburn
05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
OR I could just say "the best match-ups are combinations of all three (i.e. Rashad/Rampage), but just so long as it's got at leat one, it's main card worthy."

O wait! I already did!!! :happydancing:

See, Dave, just because you know big words doesn't mean you have to use big words.

I think you should :ashamed:

VCURamFan
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I think you should :ashamed:
It's really just about the context, ya know? If you're defending you thesis to a graduate review board, the you use the biggest words you can possibly string together. If you're talking to your baby neice, you babble incoherently. I just think you need to know your audience.

Btw, with this lot, it's closer to the babbling than the big words! :laugh:

lc87
05-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know if this fight is confirmed or just a rumer still? If confirmed when and where is it?

TexasRN
05-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know if this fight is confirmed or just a rumer still? If confirmed when and where is it?

Matt will tell us when his next fight is confirmed. So far nothing is signed yet.

~Amy

VCURamFan
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Matt will tell us when his next fight is confirmed. So far nothing is signed yet.

~Amy
I can confirm this.

rockdawg21
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Should be a good fight, 2 world-class grapplers going toe-to-toe. TKO him like the other Gracie blackbelts Matt! :punch: