PDA

View Full Version : 10-year-old's pregnancy fuels Mexican abortion debate

Spiritwalker
04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
This should be interesting...

Forced to have a baby, while still a baby? Opinions? Thoughts?

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- A pregnant 10-year-old, allegedly raped by her stepfather, has become the latest lightning rod in the country's heated abortion debate.

The girl's stepfather has been arrested. But advocates on both sides of the issue say their battle is just beginning.

"This girl is much more than an isolated case," said Adriana Ortiz-Ortega, a researcher at Mexico's National Autonomous University who has written two books on abortion in Mexico, "and there is much more influence now from conservative groups that are trying to prevent the legalization of abortion."

Read more at CNN Mexico

Abortion is legal in Mexico's capital city, but prohibited or significantly restricted in most of the country's states. The girl's home state of Quintana Roo, on the Yucatan peninsula, allows abortion in cases of rape during the first 90 days of the pregnancy. But the 10-year-old girl is at 17 weeks, nearly a month past that limit.

Advocacy groups are calling for federal officials and the United Nations to investigate Quintana Roo's handling of the matter, claiming officials did not inform her of her abortion rights.

"We don't know what is happening, and the institution that is supposed to provide support and care for these minors hasn't been transparent. We're really asking for accountability," said Maria Luisa Sanchez Fuentes, director of the Information Group on Reproductive Choice.

State Attorney General Francisco Alor Quezada said he did not know whether officials had told the girl she had the option of pursuing an abortion, and he did not know how far the girl was into her pregnancy when her mother reported the assault to authorities last month.

He said the girl is in the custody of state protective services, and officials are closely monitoring her physical and psychological care.

"I do not think there is another instance in which the girl could be in better hands," he said Monday.

Child protective services officials in Quintana Roo said in a statement last week that the girl and the fetus were in good health.

But Quintana Roo state legislator Maria Hadad said the girl's doctors aren't telling the whole story. She said continuing the pregnancy could cause severe mental and physical health problems for the girl.

"It's not just a high-risk pregnancy. It's a pregnancy that puts the girl at risk," Hadad told Mexican broadcaster Channel 10 in Chetumal, Mexico.

The Roman Catholic Church vocally opposes abortion in Mexico, and the topic has long been controversial there. The debate has been particularly heated since 2007, when the nation's more liberal capital city approved a law legalizing abortion during the first three months of pregnancy with no restrictions. That decision was challenged and ultimately upheld by the country's Supreme Court in 2008.

Since 2007, 17 states have passed laws "protecting life beginning at conception," according to the Information Group on Reproductive Choice. Legislators in Quintana Roo, which is also is home to the popular resort city of Cancun, approved such changes to its constitution last year

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/19/mexico.abortion/index.html?hpt=T2

Play The Man
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
The baby should be put up for adoption.

Spiritwalker
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
So the raped 10 year old (by the dad), should be "punished"?

Play The Man
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM

I didn't say anything about punishment. Obviously, the rapist should be punished. The girl should receive excellent medical care and counseling. After she gives birth to the baby, it should be put up for adoption.

NateR
04-20-2010, 10:20 PM

So babies are a punishment now?

What did the unborn baby do to deserve being put to death?

Miss Foxy
04-20-2010, 10:24 PM
I would gladly adopt the baby. Abortion is not the answer!!!

logrus
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
So babies are a punishment now?

What did the unborn baby do to deserve being put to death?

Not all, but this one is. I hope they kill it twice.

Miss Foxy
04-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Can you please clarify killing who and what twice? I pray to God you didnt mean the baby..:unsure:

NateR
04-20-2010, 11:52 PM

Why does the baby deserve to die? Does the step-father who raped this girl deserve to die?

rearnakedchoke
04-21-2010, 12:25 AM
doctors would be able to tell if the girl would be at danger ... but i think if she is able to get pregnant, she will be fine delivering the child ... the father should be put in GP and raped until he is pregnant ..

NateR
04-21-2010, 01:07 AM
doctors would be able to tell if the girl would be at danger ... but i think if she is able to get pregnant, she will be fine delivering the child ... the father should be put in GP and raped until he is pregnant ..

I just find it interesting that, if Mexican law is anything like American law, then the death penalty would not even be a possibility as a punishment for the stepfather. And yet, people still believe that the baby, one of the two victims in this crime, deserves to die.

AMJ
04-21-2010, 01:09 AM
She's 10 years old! It's very easy for all of you to sit there and say she should be put up for adoption or you would gladly adopt the child. However, what about the process of giving birth and dealing with the fact that she was raped by her step-father. This is not a natural situation for adult women, let alone a 10 year old baby girl who doesn't even comprehend what she's in for.

Why not think of her as well?

I know i'm going to catch a lot of heat for this but in the case of rape/incest, I can't blame a woman who wants an abortion.

NateR
04-21-2010, 01:21 AM
She's 10 years old! It's very easy for all of you to sit there and say she should be put up for adoption or you would gladly adopt the child. However, what about the process of giving birth and dealing with the fact that she was raped by her step-father. This is not a natural situation for adult women, let alone a 10 year old baby girl who doesn't even comprehend what she's in for.

I know i'm going to catch a lot of heat for this but in the case of rape/incest, I can't blame a woman who wants an abortion.

The memories of that horrible event are going to be with her for the rest of her life anyway. Why compound that with the guilt she would feel over murdering her child? You act as if somehow killing the baby will ease her suffering, when in fact it will most likely make it many times worse. So, yes, I am thinking of the girl's welfare as well.

flo
04-21-2010, 01:34 AM
The baby should be put up for adoption.

I agree. Then castrate the stepfather/rapist. At the very least, he won't be raping any more 10 year-old children.

flo
04-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Excellent points, Nate.

TENNESSEAN
04-21-2010, 01:41 AM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 didn't work :mad0233:

J.B.
04-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I just find it interesting that, if Mexican law is anything like American law, then the death penalty would not even be a possibility as a punishment for the stepfather. And yet, people still believe that the baby, one of the two victims in this crime, deserves to die.

The death penalty should be applied to cases like this, no doubt.

Spiritwalker
04-21-2010, 01:55 AM
ok.. what if it was the girls father? Then you have inbreeding issues.. birth defects and other such concerns...

NateR
04-21-2010, 02:00 AM
ok.. what if it was the girls father? Then you have inbreeding issues.. birth defects and other such concerns...

So now people with birth defects deserve to die?

Spiritwalker
04-21-2010, 02:02 AM
So now people with birth defects deserve to die?

depending on the severity.. I would call it a mercy... granted that isn't the case here since it was the step father..

NateR
04-21-2010, 02:09 AM
depending on the severity.. I would call it a mercy...

Hmmm, I've heard that many Nazi doctors felt the exact same way.

Spiritwalker
04-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, I've heard that many Nazi doctors felt the exact same way.

Really?

From my reading of history I don't know that I agree completely...

What about babies born to a life time (however much they have) of paid due to the dozens of operations.. just to preserve the baby that is blind, deaf and mute....

I am not saying that I am right on this.. what I am saying is that sometimes a mercy killing would be better.. but that is getting off topic a bit.

NateR
04-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Really?

From my reading of history I don't know that I agree completely...

What about babies born to a life time (however much they have) of paid due to the dozens of operations.. just to preserve the baby that is blind, deaf and mute....

I am not saying that I am right on this.. what I am saying is that sometimes a mercy killing would be better.. but that is getting off topic a bit.

But, who determines when a child's life is not worth living? I can guarantee you that the most important person in that decision is never even consulted, even though his/her life is hanging in the balance. Someone else has to decide whether or not that child's life is worth living.

Do you want someone making that decision for you about your life, or your son's life? If not, then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to suggest that other people have that right taken away from them as well.

Spiritwalker
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
But, who determines when a child's life is not worth living? I can guarantee you that the most important person in that decision is never even consulted, even though his/her life is hanging in the balance. Someone else has to decide whether or not that child's life is worth living.

Do you want someone making that decision for you about your life, or your son's life? If not, then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to suggest that other people have that right taken away from them as well.

If the doc showed me that my son was going to be born very deformed, horrid learning disabilities, would require breathing through a tube, and/or other things that you and I are fortunate enough to not have, it would be something to consider. I am lucky that I never had to cross those bridges.. and I won't pass judgment on those that have had to make those decisions.

NateR
04-21-2010, 02:47 AM
If the doc showed me that my son was going to be born very deformed, horrid learning disabilities, would require breathing through a tube, and/or other things that you and I are fortunate enough to not have, it would be something to consider. I am lucky that I never had to cross those bridges.. and I won't pass judgment on those that have had to make those decisions.

Well, what about Helen Keller? She was born normal, but lost her vision and hearing due to a severe illness 19 months after she was born. Do you think that she should have been euthanized immediately after it was learned that she would be permanently blind and deaf?

MattHughesRocks
04-21-2010, 03:30 AM
That poor girl needs someone to take her and her baby in. Just don't look at me.

logrus
04-21-2010, 03:45 AM
I don't know, if the 10 year old was indeed raped by an adult, then why force her to carry the child. That would be like saying it was perfectly fine to be molested and raped. Sure you can argue its not the babies fault. An your right, but then again neither is it the 10 year old as well.

we talk about the trauma of giving up the baby and what it would have on the child but its also possible that having that constant reminder could also do more harm then good. I mean if I get a 3 day ban for talking about a Hughes loss and how he doesnt like to be reminded ( quoted from nate) then how could a rape victim feel.

NateR
04-21-2010, 03:53 AM
I don't know, if the 10 year old was indeed raped by an adult, then why force her to carry the child. That would be like saying it was perfectly fine to be molested and raped. Sure you can argue its not the babies fault. An your right, but then again neither is it the 10 year old as well.

we talk about the trauma of giving up the baby and what it would have on the child but its also possible that having that constant reminder could also do more harm then good. I mean if I get a 3 day ban for talking about a Hughes loss and how he doesnt like to be reminded ( quoted from nate) then how could a rape victim feel.

Your logic is completely flawed. Everyone here fully supports the idea of severe punishment towards the rapist. So claiming that NOT committing cold blooded murder is somehow endorsing rape and child-molestation is just too ridiculous for words.

Who says that this girl has to give up the baby? And how would that be more traumatic than living with the knowledge that the child was killed?

TexasRN
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM

She probably wouldn't carry to term (37 weeks) and they'd do a c-section for delivery. We get very young girls at my high risk practice sometimes.

~Amy

logrus
04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Your logic is completely flawed. Everyone here fully supports the idea of severe punishment towards the rapist. So claiming that NOT committing cold blooded murder is somehow endorsing rape and child-molestation is just too ridiculous for words.

Who says that this girl has to give up the baby? And how would that be more traumatic than living with the knowledge that the child was killed?

No more, then you saying that it will be all rainbows and unicorns for the mother when she has the kid. Like having the kid will make everything go away. Thats your logic.

Well I get what your saying, Don't punish the baby, punish the father and the mother well **** her, who cares about her..

TexasRN
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
No more, then you saying that it will be all rainbows and unicorns for the mother when she has the kid. Like having the kid will make everything go away. Thats your logic.

Well I get what your saying, Don't punish the baby, punish the father and the mother well **** her, who cares about her..

I think Nate cares about her long term emotional well being and her soul. At least that is how I see his position.

It's a horrible thing for this child to go through but with therapy and a good home life from here on out, she can heal from this. She may never be 100% ok again and that is just tremendously sad but it is possible for her to heal from this situation.

~Amy

NateR
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM

No, that's not my logic. That's your warped view of my logic. No one is claiming that this girl's life is going to be easy. This is simply not a situation that the cold-blooded murder of an innocent person can solve.

And again, here is that idea that babies are a punishment. I really feel sorry for the children of anyone who holds that point of view.

NateR
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Nate cares about her long term emotional well being and her soul. At least that is how I see his position.

It's a horrible thing for this child to go through but with therapy and a good home life from here on out, she can heal from this. She may never be 100% ok again and that is just tremendously sad but it is possible for her to heal from this situation.

~Amy

Exactly, if she keeps the child then there is at least a chance that something positive can come out of this horrible situation.

BamaGrits84
04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
This girl has been through hell. An abortion is not a magical cure. What will it solve? Do you think once the baby is gone her pain will be? No way. Think of the mind set of little girls. This girl knows she had a baby growing inside her. What do you think she will be feeling if she knows someone killed it? I mean this story never mentions her desiring an abortion. She may see that baby is some type of comfort right now. We have no idea what the child's state of mind is, but having an abortion is sure to do nothing but add to her emotional torture.

I have a friend that's dad molester her. She got pregnant by him when she was 14. She had a choice to have an abortion and was the poster child for excuses to do it. Her mom had kicked her out for telling a teacher. She wasn't old enough to work. She had no other family. Well she decided to keep the baby. He is 9 years old now. She's loves her son like any other mother. She doesn't look at him and see her monster of a father. When asked why she kept him she says she couldn't just wrap her mind around the thought of HER baby being killed.

As for abortions for "medical reasons", less than 3% of abortions are for that reason. This based on research I found for a psyc paper 4 years ago. And no doctor can say 100% how a child will be born. Look at Tim Tebow in case you haven't heard that story. His mom was told he was be born seriously retarded and she might die from continuing the pregnancy, but she listen to God, not a doctor. Needless to say he is fine as is she.

Most important of all is God is the only person who should control life. No one has a right to decide if another life is worth being lived. If we as a nation are going to continue to value life so poorly, we might is well just start taking out people who are a burden to our society right? Criminals, the elderly, the disabled, those on government aid.

Chris F
04-21-2010, 06:39 PM
NateR- It is impossible to convince a blind unbeliever of any moral truth. They, in their blindness embrace death and not life. Until blind eye are open to the truth of Jesus Christ these people will continue to find new and creative ways to excuse their desires to kill any form of life. It is sad sure enough.

Chris F
04-21-2010, 06:42 PM
As for a punishment I think they need to put hundreds of paper cuts on his man parts and make him bathe in lemon juice and then castrate him. The crime is all the man's and he alone should be punished

Shoots like a girl
04-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow, Im hearing some hurtful words here...... "it" or "the kid". Bottom line is no matter what happens this poor little girl has a horrid scar to live with for the rest of her life. Someday I hope she is able to say that she overcame this tragedy and preserved a human life created by God. Whether she gives this child to a loving family or keeps this baby in her own family I hope he/she has the chance to live. I dont see how terminating this baby's life is going to ease anyones pain. Abortion is something so hard to live with. One of my best friends morns her child every year on the date of his death and its worse for her because she took his life before he took his first breath. Both mother and child are victims here. As far as the step-father, just let me get my bow............... Im a REALLY good shot! :punch:

Spiritwalker
04-22-2010, 03:47 AM
NateR- It is impossible to convince a blind unbeliever of any moral truth. They, in their blindness embrace death and not life. Until blind eye are open to the truth of Jesus Christ these people will continue to find new and creative ways to excuse their desires to kill any form of life. It is sad sure enough.

Moral Truth?

So because I don't agree with some.. I don't believe in God?

Primadawn
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Moral Truth?

So because I don't agree with some.. I don't believe in God?

Even Satan "believes in God"...but if you think killing an innocent unborn child is acceptable in ANY instance...you aren't following his mandates. Thou shalt not kill. It's not rocket science.

NateR
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Moral Truth?

Yes, moral truth. As in "do not murder." Abortion is murder and there is NEVER a good reason for it.

Miss Foxy
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
That poor girl needs someone to take her and her baby in. Just don't look at me.

lmao!! Omg Michelle thanks for making me laugh as much as this post was depressing me!!!:laugh:

Spiritwalker
04-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Yes, moral truth. As in "do not murder." Abortion is murder and there is NEVER a good reason for it.

See that's where we disagree... I do believe that there are times when abortion is valid.

"Thou Shall Not Kill"

Killing is different than murder... IMO.

MattHughesRocks
04-23-2010, 02:49 AM
It is funny but it's sick and true. She does need someone to take them both in but I certainly don't have what it takes:sad:

lmao!! Omg Michelle thanks for making me laugh as much as this post was depressing me!!!:laugh:

J.B.
04-23-2010, 02:54 AM
See that's where we disagree... I do believe that there are times when abortion is valid.

"Thou Shall Not Kill"

Of course killing is different than murder....

That's not the point!

"Abortion" is the conscious decision to take life away from another living being when it poses no physical harm to your own life. That is basically the accepted definition of "murder".

flo
04-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Nice sig pic, JB.

J.B.
04-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Nice sig pic, JB.

Today is the 6 year anniversary of Pat's death.

He is a true hero, not only here in the Valley, but to our country.

adamt
04-23-2010, 03:26 AM
okay.... more to the political side of the debate.... they say pro choice right.

do we honestly think whatever happens is going to be the sole choice of the ten year old girl???

it's the "choice of the woman, and woman's right to chose" right?

flo
04-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Today is the 6 year anniversary of Pat's death.

He is a true hero, not only here in the Valley, but to our country.
Amen to every word.

I didn't know that was today, wow, hard to believe 6 years has gone by.

adamt
04-23-2010, 03:53 AM

"Thou Shall Not Kill"

so if you're an inconvenience to me can i abort you? then call it killing instead of murder

Chuck
04-23-2010, 03:56 AM

"Thou Shall Not Kill"

You're right it is... and the Bible says thou shall not commit murder.... not "kill"... it's a commonly misquoted scripture...

So..... abortion IS murder is it not??? :huh:

adamt
04-23-2010, 03:56 AM
they should abort the ten year old girl for seducing her stepfather.

oh wait that makes more sense than killing the baby for being conceived.

TexasRN
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
The girl has turned 11 now and says she wants to keep her baby. She is having a girl and is being cared for by government child protective services. She is also being monitored closely by doctors. Apparently she never once considered abortion.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/23/year-old-mexican-rape-victim-wants-baby/

~Amy

Miss Foxy
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
The girl has turned 11 now and says she wants to keep her baby. She is having a girl and is being cared for by government child protective services. She is also being monitored closely by doctors. Apparently she never once considered abortion.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/23/year-old-mexican-rape-victim-wants-baby/

~Amy

Bless her heart!!! <3..