PDA

View Full Version : The Prisoner Dilema

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 08:52 PM
:ninja: I havent done this in ages, and there is a completely new set of people...so I'll do a thread about it again. Apologies if your one of the few that remember it from last time :laugh:

There is a little Scenario I want to run past you, that will leave you with a difficult choice, and I want to know your answer. This can say a lot about people...not their primary answer...but then further questioning can really show peoples ethics.

You are an Honoured Guest on an Island Community. The day you arrive is Execution Day, Ten Prisoners who have been found guilty of crimes deserving death, are ready and waiting to be executed. What they have done and how guilt was determined is not information supplied to you. Neither essentially is the method of execution. In Honour of your arrival the Islanders impliment a custom for such occasions. Nine Pardons are produced and will be given. IF you aggree to be the executioner of any one of the prisoners you chose. IF you refuse, the execution will go ahead as previously schedualed resulting in ten deaths.

What do you decide to do :ninja:

Miss Foxy
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I would refuse... It's none of my business so how could I pardon someone who might have done something horrific and deserved to be there in the first place. :huh:

Blade
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Agree to execute the one person, but then use that weapon to kill EVERYONE on the island, then take all their valuables and their land and restart the British Empire. Simple.

Spiritwalker
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Kill the Messenger

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
I would refuse... It's none of my business so how could I pardon someone who might have done something horrific and deserved to be there in the first place. :huh:

You assume two things...first that the prisoners are guilty...and secondly that their crime would be considered punishable by death...In Islamic Cultures they cut hands off people that steal...they may not have done anything horrific, and may not deserve it.

Just food for thought.

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Agree to execute the one person, but then use that weapon to kill EVERYONE on the island, then take all their valuables and their land and restart the British Empire. Simple.

You assume its a weapon. What if its as simple as pulling a lever or pushing a button. :huh:

Complex.

County Mike
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Are any of them hot women that might show appreciation for being saved?

Miss Foxy
04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
You assume two things...first that the prisoners are guilty...and secondly that their crime would be considered punishable by death...In Islamic Cultures they cut hands off people that steal...they may not have done anything horrific, and may not deserve it.

Just food for thought.

It says on the passage they deserved death? And who would I be to just roll up on the island and start pardoning people? If we think its petty to cut a hand off for theft thats based on our culture, but whos to say thats right or wrong? Not me..

County Mike
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I like Foxy's answer. She's not one to push her beliefs on a different culture.

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 09:57 PM
It says on the passage they deserved death? And who would I be to just roll up on the island and start pardoning people? If we think its petty to cut a hand off for theft thats based on our culture, but whos to say thats right or wrong? Not me..

Well, according to that particular culture, yes, they deserved death...but who know exactly what is punishable by what. There are no particular right and wrong answers...its all just food for thought :)

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Are any of them hot women that might show appreciation for being saved?

I dont know...its not specified what gender the prisoners are :laugh:

Bonnie
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
That's what I was about to post, Foxy...."crimes deserving death", but then they're willing to give nine pardons just for an honored guest. :blink:

I think the only sensible thing to do is refuse. If they found them guilty (for whatever reason) and have sentenced them to death, then they should be the ones to execute them whether it's one or ten. Who knows, the nine pardoned could go out and commit crimes again and end up right where they are now.

Blade
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
You assume its a weapon. What if its as simple as pulling a lever or pushing a button. :huh:

Complex.

It doesn't matter, take your own weapons in the first place and colonise the place, sounds like they would need some civilising anyway.

Tyburn
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
It doesn't matter, take your own weapons in the first place and colonise the place, sounds like they would need some civilising anyway.

Well Everyone should be Subject to The Crown at least Once in their Lives, tiz true :w00t::laugh: