PDA

View Full Version : Self Service Check Outs

Spiritwalker
04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Just curious.. do you use them?

I am talking about grocery stores and the like..where you can scan your own purchases, and follow the prompts to pay.. there is normally one employee manning 2 - 4 of these..

I WILL NOT use them, unless I get a discount for using it.

Part of the price I pay for an item is for that employee to take my stuff out of the cart (no matter if it's 2 -20 or 200).. ring it up, bag my stuff, and COUNT BACK my change (that RARELY happens anymore - so I always stand there and count it).

I would use one occasionally in the past.. but about 6 months about.. I used one to buy like 4 or 5 things.. one of them wouldn't scan..the employee came over and proceeded to try to teach me how to hold the item to get it to scan...

She was teaching me to do her job.. and I was PAYING for the "privilige".

What prompted this thread??

I was just in Wally World on my lunch.. and I say this lady with a cart FULL of stuff.. picking and scanning.. picking and scanning...

what do you guys do? What do you think?

Give me a 5% discount on my total bill.. I will buy a month of groceries.. and use the self service... but not until.

Shoots like a girl
04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Our Kroger has it but its for 10 items or less. The benefit for me is that our Kroger usually only has 2 lanes open and there are always at least 5 people in each line with a heaping cart. So I either use the U-scan or I wait in line for at least a half hour. When you are in the groc store after work with 2 kids and have 3 hours to get home, cook dinner, do the dishes and laundry, get baths, put kids to bed, get in your workout, take your shower AND spend some much needed quality time with the hubby.............. YOU USE THE U-SCAN! LOL But I totally see why you dont want to use it. My other other arguement for not using it is that I feel it takes away jobs. I would much rather see 2 more lanes open and 2 more people going home with a paycheck at the end of the week. But its not going to happen.

Chris F
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
My kids love them but I prefer to give the employees some work so they keep their jobs.

one point of disagreement i have is that it is not the cashiers job to unload your cart or load it. It is their job to ring up the merchandise. If you want full service like that you would need to go to a store with baggers. Believe it or not their is a union for that stuff. But at Wally world if you are making the cashier load and unload your cart you may be costing them their job because they have quotas for items scanned and can be fired for poor performance and have to stop and load your cart or get stuff out of the cart takes time. It does nto take much to unload your cart and out the filed bags back in.

Spiritwalker
04-16-2010, 06:04 PM
My kids love them but I prefer to give the employees some work so they keep their jobs.

one point of disagreement i have is that it is not the cashiers job to unload your cart or load it. It is their job to ring up the merchandise. If you want full service like that you would need to go to a store with baggers. Believe it or not their is a union for that stuff. But at Wally world if you are making the cashier load and unload your cart you may be costing them their job because they have quotas for items scanned and can be fired for poor performance and have to stop and load your cart or get stuff out of the cart takes time. It does nto take much to unload your cart and out the filed bags back in.

Unions are pretty much worthless in the current time. I tend to belive that Unions are also part of the problem in many cases.

Having worked at Wally World for a few holidays, I can tell you that there is no quota for scanning, cashiers are supposed to take the items out of the cart if the customer does not, and they are to bag the items. They are supposed to put the bags in the cart if the customer does not remove them.

County Mike
04-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Unless I have a lot of items, I use them. Much faster. When it comes to shopping, "in and out", that's my motto.

flo
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
The only place I've used self-scan is at Costco, their lines are really long and it's quicker (plus, a pet peeve of mine is the employees there literally THROW your stuff after scanning it...not too good on fish, meat or produce).

There is also one at Wal-Mart but I haven't seen it in any grocery stores here yet.

The only reason Costco and Wal-Mart have them is that their stores are insanely busy; I don't think self-scanning was introduced to eliminate someone's job.

You bring up a good point, Spirit, I just don't like to wait. :)

rearnakedchoke
04-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Unless I have a lot of items, I use them. Much faster. When it comes to shopping, "in and out", that's my motto.

I am sure that is not your motto for only shopping .. back to the thread .. LOL

these are great ... scan my items, swipe my card .. self service ... SW, just curious, so you use bank machines? or do you only stand in line to see a teller .. i know some people like that .. so just curious ...

if i don't have to deal with a crabby cashier, i try not to ..

County Mike
04-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Well, with "other things" it must be repeated many, many times.

billwilliams70
04-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I'll use 'em on occasion.....only because I want to avoid interraction with the person at the register when I'm not in the mood to pretend to be happy.

Later.

matthughesfan21
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I only use them at walmart, and being a broke college student, I'm not buying much and its much much faster

Spiritwalker
04-16-2010, 07:09 PM

these are great ... scan my items, swipe my card .. self service ... SW, just curious, so you use bank machines? or do you only stand in line to see a teller .. i know some people like that .. so just curious ...

if i don't have to deal with a crabby cashier, i try not to ..

I use ATMs.. just cause it's the same service as going into the bank.. and I don't have to do anything extra for the same monthly fee..

If anything I do think that ATMs are great cause I can just pull up to them.. if I have to get out of the car, I will just go into the bank.

Chuck
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I can tell you that there is no quota for scanning, cashiers are supposed to take the items out of the cart if the customer does not, and they are to bag the items. They are supposed to put the bags in the cart if the customer does not remove them.

That's actually not even a possibility at the Wal Marts here because of how the cashiers are situated... I can't believe they expect them to run around to the cart, load the belt... run back around... scan things.. etc.. etc...

The only place I've used self-scan is at Costco,

WHAT??? They didn't have that when I was in the Tacoma Costco last and they still don't have them here! I'm bummed!!

Spiritwalker
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
That's actually not even a possibility at the Wal Marts here because of how the cashiers are situated... I can't believe they expect them to run around to the cart, load the belt... run back around... scan things.. etc.. etc...

WHAT??? They didn't have that when I was in the Tacoma Costco last and they still don't have them here! I'm bummed!!

With the 20 items or less lines.. they are supposed to.. the regular lines, it is set up for the customer to do the work.. which is still lame..

logrus
04-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Its very rare that I use one. Usually if its around dinner time and I have to be back 3 minutes ago. But that happens like once every 9 months lol.

flo
04-16-2010, 10:47 PM

Lacey Costco, Chuck; they added them around 6 months ago, IIRC.

Chuck
04-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Lacey Costco, Chuck; they added them around 6 months ago, IIRC.

Arrrgh!!!!

flo
04-16-2010, 11:04 PM
You lived in Littlerock, right? So you remember how busy the Tumwater and Lacey Costcos are (I'd guess Tacoma would be even more crowded!).

mscomc
04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I myself use them only for a few small items. But I have run into some frustrating situations. It goes like this.

Machine: Welcome to self check out, please scan your item

Me: Ok ...*scan*

Machine: Please place the item in the bag rack next to you

Me: Ok. (I do it)

Machine: Please place Item in the bag

Me: :blink:

Machine: Please place the item in the bag

Me: :huh:

Me: :sign0090:

Machine: You have not placed the item in the bag. Please wait for assistance. Stand by.

Me: :fighting0023:

matthughesfan21
04-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I myself use them only for a few small items. But I have run into some frustrating situations. It goes like this.

Machine: You have not placed the item in the bag. Please wait for assistance. Stand by.

Me: :fighting0023:just scan the next item when it is saying that, it doesn't require the item to be in the bag, at least not at the walmart here

flo
04-17-2010, 12:29 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think we get the same scanner.

mscomc
04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
just scan the next item when it is saying that, it doesn't require the item to be in the bag, at least not at the walmart here

LOL i try that all the time. It does not allow me to scan until the "item" is in the bag, there is like a sensor block on it. It must be a canadian walmart thing, HA.

Miss Foxy
04-17-2010, 12:36 AM

Lol!!! Even after I hit the button to not place item in the bag it still goes off!! Grrrr.. Makes me crazy. I have absolutely no patience at all!!:w00t:

TexasRN
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think we get the same scanner.

Me too!!! :laugh: I think they just all hate me.

I like having the cashier scan my stuff. I load it onto the belt from my cart and make sure that the stuff I want bagged together is grouped together. I hate when raw meat gets into the same bag as my veggies and fruits. I also turn the items so that the cashiers don't have to hunt for the barcode. It's already lined up so they just have to swipe it across. I try to be nice to the cashiers at the stores. Their jobs suck but at least they're working and trying to earn a living instead of staying home and cashing a welfare check that my taxes give them.

~Amy

Buzzard
04-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Unions are pretty much worthless in the current time. I tend to belive that Unions are also part of the problem in many cases.

If you ever work in an "At Will" state, your opinion may change. While not perfect, I do see the good in them as well as the bad.

Back on topic: I have used them but each time I did I needed a cashier to finish things up. I generally have good luck with the cashiers, and make it a habit to thank them for their service. I always look for ones I have used in the past and have had good service from. I'd rather wait a few more minutes for the good ones because I like my eggs unbroken and my bread un-smooshed.

Chris F
04-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Having worked at Wally World for a few holidays, I can tell you that there is no quota for scanning, cashiers are supposed to take the items out of the cart if the customer does not, and they are to bag the items. They are supposed to put the bags in the cart if the customer does not remove them.

Things have changed my wife works there right now and I did as well several years back and they surely did have an item scanned quota. If you could not keep up you were wrote up and eventually terminated. So sound like you just had a nicer store manager.

Bonnie
04-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I've only used the U-scan once at a Wal-mart. And I've never seen the checker unload a cart going thru the "20 items or less" line. To me that would defeat the purpose of going through the line in the first place because it would take more of "your" time for them to do so. My pet peeve about Wal-mart is they've got like 20 check-outs and usually keep less than half of the "regular" lines open.

I do, however, use them a lot at the grocery stores. For one thing (like already stated) it's much faster even with a glitch or two. :laugh: That happens to me too Malcolm. :laugh: And, secondly, I can put things how I want them and am more careful than the baggers. I'm like Amy, I don't want certain items with others and no matter how many times I tell them I don't want my dry items with wet, they still do it. Plus, some of those checkers just throw your cans down the belt--so after you've carefully made sure to select cans without "dents"... :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on my bread! :laugh:

Tyburn
04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
No. I never use self service.

Spiritwalker
04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
If you ever work in an "At Will" state, your opinion may change. While not perfect, I do see the good in them as well as the bad.

Back on topic: I have used them but each time I did I needed a cashier to finish things up. I generally have good luck with the cashiers, and make it a habit to thank them for their service. I always look for ones I have used in the past and have had good service from. I'd rather wait a few more minutes for the good ones because I like my eggs unbroken and my bread un-smooshed.

North Carolina is an "at Will" state... The two unions I have been a part of is where I formed my opinions of unions. History shows that unions where a good thing at one time.. no longer..

Spiritwalker
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Things have changed my wife works there right now and I did as well several years back and they surely did have an item scanned quota. If you could not keep up you were wrote up and eventually terminated. So sound like you just had a nicer store manager.

Actually I told the last one to @$#% off... cause he wanted me to stay past January 2 and tried to schedule me to work on my son's birthday... which is most likely the reason I didn't get a job there this past Christmas season..

I normally take a 3rd job around early Oct to really blow out the gifts for my kids and family (Christmas, then my son's birthday on Jan 7 and my daughters on Jan 9th).. this year was a little slim in gifts.. but rich in family!

Spiritwalker
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
No. I never use self service.

Something tells me you self service more than most. :Whistle:

NateR
04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I try to use the self-checkout lines every chance I get. Unfortunately the ones at my Walmart are rarely open. However, if I have something like an R-Rated movie or electronic device that would require age verification or disabling a security tag, then I use the regular express lane. Also, when I'm buying fresh fruit or vegetables, then I use the regular lanes.

Regardless, there is NO WAY that I would just stand there like a douche-bag and wait for the cashier to walk around the counter, unload all of my stuff out of the cart, walk back around the counter, ring it up, bag it, then walk around the counter once again to place it all in my cart; while I just sit on my thumbs. That's just poor human behavior right there.

There are quotas for cashiers at Walmart based on the training videos that I watched. It's just that many stores don't enforce them, especially if they are understaffed and can't afford to fire someone just because they are a little slow.

Buzzard
04-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I've only used the U-scan once at a Wal-mart. And I've never seen the checker unload a cart going thru the "20 items or less" line. To me that would defeat the purpose of going through the line in the first place because it would take more of "your" time for them to do so. My pet peeve about Wal-mart is they've got like 20 check-outs and usually keep less than half of the "regular" lines open.

I do, however, use them a lot at the grocery stores. For one thing (like already stated) it's much faster even with a glitch or two. :laugh: That happens to me too Malcolm. :laugh: And, secondly, I can put things how I want them and am more careful than the baggers. I'm like Amy, I don't want certain items with others and no matter how many times I tell them I don't want my dry items with wet, they still do it. Plus, some of those checkers just throw your cans down the belt--so after you've carefully made sure to select cans without "dents"... :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on my bread! :laugh:

I put my things on the belt in the order I want them bagged. It works like a charm.

North Carolina is an "at Will" state... The two unions I have been a part of is where I formed my opinions of unions. History shows that unions where a good thing at one time.. no longer..

I stand corrected then. In my experience the unions still have something to offer, if at the very least the protection of my job when the supervisor has a bad hair day.

Something tells me you self service more than most. :Whistle:

I lol'd.

TexasRN
04-17-2010, 11:51 PM
I try to use the self-checkout lines every chance I get. Unfortunately the ones at my Walmart are rarely open. However, if I have something like an R-Rated movie or electronic device that would require age verification or disabling a security tag, then I use the regular express lane. Also, when I'm buying fresh fruit or vegetables, then I use the regular lanes.

Regardless, there is NO WAY that I would just stand there like a douche-bag and wait for the cashier to walk around the counter, unload all of my stuff out of the cart, walk back around the counter, ring it up, bag it, then walk around the counter once again to place it all in my cart; while I just sit on my thumbs. That's just poor human behavior right there.

There are quotas for cashiers at Walmart based on the training videos that I watched. It's just that many stores don't enforce them, especially if they are understaffed and can't afford to fire someone just because they are a little slow.

I've also been known to bag my own groceries if I have quite a bit and it's set up in such a way that I can. Why not? It gets me out of there quicker and it certainly doesn't hurt me one bit to do it instead of standing there waiting while the cashier does it for me. I miss the days of shopping on base where I could get great baggers because I tipped big. Places here don't have dedicated baggers. I miss the good old days.

~Amy

Llamafighter
04-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I've also been known to bag my own groceries if I have quite a bit and it's set up in such a way that I can. Why not? It gets me out of there quicker and it certainly doesn't hurt me one bit to do it instead of standing there waiting while the cashier does it for me. I miss the days of shopping on base where I could get great baggers because I tipped big. Places here don't have dedicated baggers. I miss the good old days.

~Amy

Yeah i bag my own most of the time anyways. I find the cashiers here in the city just slam everything around anyways and stack the wrong stuff on top of each other.
I would never expect a cashier to to unload my cart.
Back home every lane had a bagger and they always did a great job. Can't find good help these days.

bradwright
04-18-2010, 02:51 AM

~Amy

your like in your mid 30s and you say you miss the good old days there Amy ?:huh:

get back to us when you get to be about 50 or so and let every one know how you feel then...:wink:

Kids these days...:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
04-18-2010, 05:28 AM
If I'm paying $75.00 for 1 bag of groceries you bet I'm making them bag it!

Bonnie
04-18-2010, 06:25 AM
I put my things on the belt in the order I want them bagged. It works like a charm.

Geeze, why didn't I think of that! :doh: Yeah, I do that too Buzzzz at HEB and Walmart where customers unload their own carts, but at Krogers here they unload the items as they are checking them. Even if you organize the items in the order you want them in your cart, they usually grab items how they want to check them. Glad it's worked like a charm for you though.

And, Amy, I've bagged my own too when their super busy and the checker has to scan and bag. :)

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Unions are good in keeping Institutions to check over large generic issues. What I hate about Unions, is when they think they should become a regulator of company process, which is actually terribly unfair. We see it happening all the time in England, its what causes a "strike"

NEVER should a Union strike because the people feel they arent being paid enough, or deserve a payrise...thats not for the Union or workers to decide...However, damn right a Union should step in if a Company is breaching protocol to try and constructively dismiss workers.

Unions should stick to what they were originally planned for. Which was just to make sure Employeees rights are upheld...NOT to demand different or better working conditions...there is a difference, and the Unions in England dont see that...infact they are so big they actually help finance political parties in Government...."Unite" Being one of them. If you dont know whats been going on with Unite Recently in England you oughta look it up...its fascinating...and in a way rather scary :ninja:

Kyle Lewsader
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
OMG.
i work at a grocery store and let me tell you that these are the most annoying things ever. People are so stupid sometimes. about every 30 sec. you just see a stupid little blinking ight and the customers are always like yelling at the darn thing. I mean i use it alot but thats only because i know how to lol.

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
OMG.
i work at a grocery store and let me tell you that these are the most annoying things ever. People are so stupid sometimes. about every 30 sec. you just see a stupid little blinking ight and the customers are always like yelling at the darn thing. I mean i use it alot but thats only because i know how to lol.

"unauthorized item in the bagging area...." :laugh:

rockdawg21
04-18-2010, 03:18 PM
I love them, they're fast and usually there aren't any lines. Plus, the majority of people who use them are younger and are swiping debit cards rather than paying cash or worse, writing a check.
I love them for their convenience.

rockdawg21
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
If I'm paying $75.00 for 1 bag of groceries you bet I'm making them bag it!
$75 worth of stuff in one bag? Where do you shop? I'd really like to make sure I don't go there. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Ok so I'm exaggerating but for 75 bucks in the bay area you get about 3 bags tops. Doesn't matter what store you go to either.

$75 worth of stuff in one bag? Where do you shop? I'd really like to make sure I don't go there. :laugh:

TexasRN
04-18-2010, 07:46 PM
your like in your mid 30s and you say you miss the good old days there Amy ?:huh:

get back to us when you get to be about 50 or so and let every one know how you feel then...:wink:

Kids these days...:laugh:

I'm going to be one mean old lady.....:laugh: Seriously though, I grew up in small towns all over the country and the service provided at places was very different from what you get today. I even remember gas stations with pump attendants. So yeah, I miss the good old days. :tongue0011:

~Amy

mscomc
04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm going to be one mean old lady.....:laugh: Seriously though, I grew up in small towns all over the country and the service provided at places was very different from what you get today. I even remember gas stations with pump attendants. So yeah, I miss the good old days. :tongue0011:

~Amy

Pump attendants? at a gas station? what was their job? :laugh:

Funny you mention that. Some time back, I was travelling in the states, and we were in oregon. Now I didnt know that in the state of oregon, you CANT pump your own gas, an attendant HAS to pump the gas for you. They have like 5 guys at each station just for that.

So I pull up to the gas station, I get out of the car and am walking over to the pump...and the attendant gave me this real clint eastwood staredown, as if he was saying "so whats about to happen here:angry:"....and then when I told him I just wanted to pump my gas, he said....."hahahaha, you must be from CANADA". He then kindly informed me of the new laws.:laugh:

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Just curious.. do you use them?

I am talking about grocery stores and the like..where you can scan your own purchases, and follow the prompts to pay.. there is normally one employee manning 2 - 4 of these..

I WILL NOT use them, unless I get a discount for using it.

Part of the price I pay for an item is for that employee to take my stuff out of the cart (no matter if it's 2 -20 or 200).. ring it up, bag my stuff, and COUNT BACK my change (that RARELY happens anymore - so I always stand there and count it).

I would use one occasionally in the past.. but about 6 months about.. I used one to buy like 4 or 5 things.. one of them wouldn't scan..the employee came over and proceeded to try to teach me how to hold the item to get it to scan...

She was teaching me to do her job.. and I was PAYING for the "privilige".

What prompted this thread??

I was just in Wally World on my lunch.. and I say this lady with a cart FULL of stuff.. picking and scanning.. picking and scanning...

what do you guys do? What do you think?

Give me a 5% discount on my total bill.. I will buy a month of groceries.. and use the self service... but not until.

Personally this made you sound like a complete jerk. Part of you paying for an item is so the employee can be your slave. I know that's not the words you said but you might of well said it that way. Does it make you feel better to sit there and make someone take stuff out of your cart? I always use the up most respect towards anyone. No matter their color or their religion? Yes even the Muslims lol. I always try to make their job as easy as I can. Mainly because I am not lazy and would want to be treated the same in return. You know. Like the Bible says. Treat people the way you want to be treated. I always like reading your posts and will continue to read them but this made you come across quite rude.

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 04:43 AM

This is a lie. My wife is a manager at walmart and the cashiers do have quotas. It's lazy and rude ass people like you costing someone a job. Shame on you. It's plum lazy what you're doing.

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Me too!!! :laugh: I think they just all hate me.

I like having the cashier scan my stuff. I load it onto the belt from my cart and make sure that the stuff I want bagged together is grouped together. I hate when raw meat gets into the same bag as my veggies and fruits. I also turn the items so that the cashiers don't have to hunt for the barcode. It's already lined up so they just have to swipe it across. I try to be nice to the cashiers at the stores. Their jobs suck but at least they're working and trying to earn a living instead of staying home and cashing a welfare check that my taxes give them.

~Amy

This right here is what makes you a good person. Always looking out for someone else. I don't know why but this thread really bothers me with SW. Truly shows what kind of person he is. He really needs to talk to soemone about this.

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 04:56 AM

In bold.

Finally I agree with this Buzzard guy. See you're not so bad after all lol.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Slave? No, but it is part of their job, the same job I would do. What does color or religion have to do with anything?

My point is that if you pay $5.00 for something, that $5.00 is paying for a bunch of different things. One of those things is the person that rings you out. If you are using a self service area, you are paying the same amount, and doing the work of someone that is getting paid to do what you are doing.

In essence, you are paying the company you are buying from for the priviliege of buying from them.

You can take a high road and say that you are keeping jobs for people if you would like, but that's just the reverse of what I am saying.

Personally this made you sound like a complete jerk. Part of you paying for an item is so the employee can be your slave. I know that's not the words you said but you might of well said it that way. Does it make you feel better to sit there and make someone take stuff out of your cart? I always use the up most respect towards anyone. No matter their color or their religion? Yes even the Muslims lol. I always try to make their job as easy as I can. Mainly because I am not lazy and would want to be treated the same in return. You know. Like the Bible says. Treat people the way you want to be treated. I always like reading your posts and will continue to read them but this made you come across quite rude.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
This is a lie. My wife is a manager at walmart and the cashiers do have quotas. It's lazy and rude ass people like you costing someone a job. Shame on you. It's plum lazy what you're doing.

No it is not a lie. Maybe you should define quotas better.

And why am I lazy? I go to the store, pick what I want to buy, and I pay for it. I should bag it as well? I should ring up my own stuff and pay the same price as people that use the employees??? And by me using the employees to bag up my stuff, and take things out of the cart (like they should.. it's called Customer Service for a reason)... I keep them in their jobs.

I work 40 - 50 hours a week at my regular job, I teach karate to kids 2-3 hours a day (Mon-Fri), then take my own classes, then I come home help clean my house. I am a full time dad and I do side work on peoples computer...

I am far from lazy..

And as for being a rude @55.. you might want to take a step back.

County Mike
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
SW: You actually make the cashier take the items from your cart and put them on the belt? You're quite a snob for someone who's crying "poverty" so much.

As for pumping gas, in NJ you're not allowed to pump your own either. Personally, I'd prefer stations have the option. Maybe pay a couple cents per gallon extra for "Full Service" but have the option to save some money and pump your own.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
SW: You actually make the cashier take the items from your cart and put them on the belt? You're quite a snob for someone who's crying "poverty" so much.

As for pumping gas, in NJ you're not allowed to pump your own either. Personally, I'd prefer stations have the option. Maybe pay a couple cents per gallon extra for "Full Service" but have the option to save some money and pump your own.

It's not that I make them do it. I don't stand there and "command". I stand in line, wait my turn, and then when it is my turn, I push my cart up to the spot and walk over to where cusotmers pay.

And it's harldy poverty.. I just had a rough "end of year" I guess you could say.

County Mike
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
That's why I quoted "poverty". I didn't really think you were in poverty, but you don't come off as a rich snob either. That's why I was surprised to read that you treat the minimum wage cashiers so poorly.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
That's why I quoted "poverty". I didn't really think you were in poverty, but you don't come off as a rich snob either. That's why I was surprised to read that you treat the minimum wage cashiers so poorly.

Maybe my wording was poor to most..

I normally say "thanks" and "you too" to people that say have a good day and the like.

Maybe it's because I feel that customer service has been lost over the years.

It's rare that cashiers (wally world and gas stations) will count back change. It's rare that I find a cashier that is friendly, (with the exception of a grocery store near my dojo.. they rock!).

I find it difficult to be happy about my going to chick-filet for lunch and I order "A number one combo with extra large fries" and the cashier says to me "Kayy???"

THEN I have to turn around and get my own drink cup filled, katsup, mustard straw and napkins and whatever.... I guess I don't mind filling my own cup.. cause I can get my own refills, but at least give me a cup that has my drink it it first.

Customer Service is about servicing the customers needs, and when the company is cutting costs (using self service lanes), and still charging the same amount, for what barely counts as customer service, it's gets old.

MattHughesRocks
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Changing the topic a tad....I never put tips in the cups at the cashier's in anyplace that I go when I have to #1 stand in line to place my order then #2 stand off to the side and wait for it to be done then # 3 go back up and get my item.
I can't even believe they put a tip cup at those types of places.I don't feel they deserve it and if they get paid that poorly that they feel they need tips then maybe they need to look for another job.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Changing the topic a tad....I never put tips in the cups at the cashier's in anyplace that I go when I have to #1 stand in line to place my order then #2 stand off to the side and wait for it to be done then # 3 go back up and get my item.
I can't even believe they put a tip cup at those types of places.I don't feel they deserve it and if they get paid that poorly that they feel they need tips then maybe they need to look for another job.

Reservoir Dogs comes to mind. I tend to agree with you there..

There is a Chinese Buffet that I like to go to. They have a sushi bar. they guy has a tip jar out. If I spot him 3 bucks, he custom makes all the sushi I can ask for. YUM!

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Reservoir Dogs comes to mind. I tend to agree with you there..

There is a Chinese Buffet that I like to go to. They have a sushi bar. they guy has a tip jar out. If I spot him 3 bucks, he custom makes all the sushi I can ask for. YUM!

Is this the Chinese Buffet in Pineville NC. If so that place is awesome.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Is this the Chinese Buffet in Pineville NC. If so that place is awesome.

I know that place.. it is GREAT!!!! You in the area often?

The one I am talking about is in Gastonia,

Dynasty Buffet

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Look SW I think the only thing that made you sound like a jerk was the fact that you wouldn't load your own groceries up on the belt. It takes a lazy person to make someone else do it. And yes walmart cashiers get timed on how many items they scan and bag.

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I actually live 3 hours away. I fish tournaments all the time on Lake Wylie and we always get season passes to Carolwinds.

Spiritwalker
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I will be ar Carowinds on 4/23 with my son if you want to hang out.

donaldbreland
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
I will see what my plans are. I might take my son as well. I will let you know by wednesday.

Tyburn
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Well I can tell you thats not company wide. Your checkouts are really short the ones I saw in the Walmarts I visited in the United States...in England, the Cashier couldnt physically unload a trolly onto the conveyor because the conveyor is about three to five metres in length..and they back onto the que for the cashier infront...It would be litterally impossible.

They have runners who can help those who are disabled or elderly and cant physically lift...but what Spiritwalker demands is not a company wide thing by any stretch of the imagination......and I thought the people in Harrogate were pompous :blink: You know...I give good customer service, not because there are rules about it...but because its how you should genuinely respond to anyone else...in effect its all about manners and treating people as they deserve to be treated...but you know for a good person it works both ways...I've had people click their fingers at me, and expect me to come to them...thats just rude...I would never do that to anyone...customer, employee, or not. I would never stand around and expect what he expects...because I think its very rude...Sure if they offered...I might take them up...and if they were good customer services...and they could do that...they would offer...but its the fact he stands there expecting it. Who does he think he is...that he can treat someone in that manner?? For me...sorry to drag this conversation this way...but its about respect for the individual...and ultimately its because I recognise that every person has intrinsic value because GOD made them, and they are made in his Image...Now if everyone seriously took that to heart...we would all be falling over ourselves to out do one another, in honouring and respecting one another.

I wouldnt dream of making a Cashier bag my stuff...even though its well within their job spec...why? because there is nothing bloody wrong with my own arms...and I, as a person, recognise I am no more important then them...and further more, I can think of better thing I would rather be doing...I assume they can think of better things also...so I help them out.

But we do have to deal with people like him all the time in our line of work....and they deserve good customer service too...even if they are ungrateful lazy snobs...it makes no difference...when you dont want to do it...thats the time you remind yourself that your paid to do it...even if you are paid peanuts in comparison.

Spiritwalker
04-20-2010, 03:28 AM
You are such a flathead in a phillips world....

"who does he think he is?"

"demands is not a company wide thing by any stretch of the imagination......and I thought the people in Harrogate were pompous "

So the pot is calling the kettle pompus..that's funny.. The people in Harrogate prolly think your totally wonderful...

.in England, the Cashier couldnt physically unload a trolly onto the conveyor because the conveyor is about three to five metres in length..

And England isn't the United States.. We lead, you follow

.I've had people click their fingers at me, and expect me to come to them...thats just rude...I would never do that to anyone...customer, employee, or not.

If you were providing good/decent customer service, you wouldn't have people "snapping their fingers at you... But if the way you treat and act around the police here.. is anything like people treat public servants and customer service people.. there... I would call you rude actually...

but its the fact he stands there expecting it. Who does he think he is...that he can treat someone in that manner??

I am the guy that is right.

I am the guy that you seem to think that I walk up and "command" the cashier... I push my cart to the register and walk to the area to pay... It's their JOB.. part of what you pay, is paying for the service.

But we do have to deal with people like him all the time in our line of work....and they deserve good customer service too...even if they are ungrateful lazy snobs...it makes no difference...when you dont want to do it...thats the time you remind yourself that your paid to do it...even if you are paid peanuts in comparison.

I am hardly a snob.. and if you don't like peanuts.. leave the circus.

In my job, I earned a 9.7% merit increase on my yearly review.. when the average was 3.6%... what did you earn?

Tyburn
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
1) The people in Harrogate prolly think your totally wonderful...

2) And England isn't the United States.. We lead, you follow

3) If you were providing good/decent customer service, you wouldn't have people "snapping their fingers at you... But if the way you treat and act around the police here.. is anything like people treat public servants and customer service people.. there... I would call you rude actually...

4) I am the guy that is right.

I am the guy that you seem to think that I walk up and "command" the cashier... I push my cart to the register and walk to the area to pay... It's their JOB.. part of what you pay, is paying for the service.

5) I am hardly a snob.. and if you don't like peanuts.. leave the circus.

6) In my job, I earned a 9.7% merit increase on my yearly review.. when the average was 3.6%... what did you earn?

1) no doubt. I give good customer service :cool:...even if they are rude to me. :unsure-1:

2) Wal-mart is an International Company now, with Branches all over the world. Forget lead and Follow...think Infiltrate instead :)

3) Sure you would. There you are minding your own business and to get your attention someone with the mannerisms of yourself I strongly suspect, might be inclined to just click his fingers and expect a response...someone who can be bothered to walk up to a member of staff and say "excuse me but..." or "can you help me" or whatever.

As for "the Police" I'm not an American Citizen, and I broke no American law...ergo I dont expect to be stopped and questioned...and in the case that I am...or was...I was not rude, but Totally forthcoming, because I respect authority, and although I found the process intimidating...I wasnt threatened in any way...Irritating though it was for me, the Officer involved was just following her procedures and doing her job.

4) You dont pay for their Service. You pay trade to the Company for goods, and you pay a proportionate ammount of Tax to the Government for trade rights. The Company pay the Employee for Service. Unless you are the Employer then Service is actually, technically speaking, nothing to do with you whatsoever. You dont pay for the experience...or else there would be an added extra tax wouldnt there...a service charge, or an expected tip if you like

5) You come across as a bit of a Toff on here.

6) Not sure what your talking about to be honnest. If its to do with pay rise then in England I have to tell you good performance doesnt equate to pay rise. If its progression your talking about, then you should know ive already got a specialist job on my department :)