PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite iPhone Apps?

Play The Man
04-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I finally broke down and bought an iPhone. What are your favorite iPhone apps (free or pay)?

Buzzard
04-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Am I the only one who still doesn't have a cell phone? What is the cheapest one would pay for service now? I would only want one to use in emergencies or if I absolutely had to call someone when away from home. I looked at Walmart yesterday but wasn't too impressed with the pay as you go phones and their prices.

Play The Man
04-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Am I the only one who still doesn't have a cell phone? What is the cheapest one would pay for service now? I would only want one to use in emergencies or if I absolutely had to call someone when away from home. I looked at Walmart yesterday but wasn't too impressed with the pay as you go phones and their prices.

You should explore the Tracfone website: http://www.tracfone.com/e_store.jsp?task=buyphone. You can get a basic phone for $10-$30 (they also have reconditioned models). You purchase a card for 400 minutes for about $100 (good for one year). Spread out over one year, it comes out to about $10 a month. I think (it might be an urban legend) that all cell phones, even phones that aren't signed up for a plan, can dial 911. If it was strictly for an emergency (i.e. 911) you could probably pick up a used phone for free, keep the battery charged, and you could at least dial 911.

rearnakedchoke
04-17-2010, 12:07 PM
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/iphone

it's funny though, it stopped working after he got elected but i kept having to pay for it ...

Play The Man
04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/iphone

it's funny though, it stopped working after he got elected but i kept having to pay for it ...

Don't feel bad. We are all going to have to keep "pay(ing) for it"

NateR
04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch and it gives me access to all the same applications.

As far as free apps go, I have an Ebay app that I will use to check in on auctions a lot. I also have a couple of Bible apps, one being a complete Tecarta NIV Bible that I can pull up for reference with or without an internet connection (I might have paid for that one, but I don't remember). I've also downloaded Google Earth, Paypal and Facebook apps. All for free.

When it comes to games, I really like Zombie Smash and I just downloaded Doodle Jump. Both are awesome games that only cost $1-2 each and they rival the fun factor that you would find in many $50-60 Playstation or XBox games. They also offer more in depth games like Final Fantasy and Myst. Each only costs about $5 and they are complete versions of the games, not just watered down ports. You can also get free games like Solitare, Hearts, Chess, etc.

I was considering buying a PS3 or Nintendo Wii a few months back, but I'm glad I got the iPod first since it's made those consoles almost completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could get Legend of Zelda on the iPod, because then I would never have to buy another video game console again.

Buzzard
04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I can't see myself ever playing any in depth games on a phone. Granted, it could be a time killer when away from a real gaming system.:laugh: My eyes are bad enough without having to squint at such a tiny screen.

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I dont have an iphone.

Play The Man
04-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch and it gives me access to all the same applications.

As far as free apps go, I have an Ebay app that I will use to check in on auctions a lot. I also have a couple of Bible apps, one being a complete Tecarta NIV Bible that I can pull up for reference with or without an internet connection (I might have paid for that one, but I don't remember). I've also downloaded Google Earth, Paypal and Facebook apps. All for free.

When it comes to games, I really like Zombie Smash and I just downloaded Doodle Jump. Both are awesome games that only cost $1-2 each and they rival the fun factor that you would find in many $50-60 Playstation or XBox games. They also offer more in depth games like Final Fantasy and Myst. Each only costs about $5 and they are complete versions of the games, not just watered down ports. You can also get free games like Solitare, Hearts, Chess, etc.

I was considering buying a PS3 or Nintendo Wii a few months back, but I'm glad I got the iPod first since it's made those consoles almost completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could get Legend of Zelda on the iPod, because then I would never have to buy another video game console again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to find an app to get the entire ESV Bible on my iPhone for free. I also found the Constitution. If you get the amazon/Kindle app you can download a lot of "Classics" for free. For example, I now have Conrad's Heart of Darkness on the iPhone to read when I have time.

Rochambeau
09-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Paid
Frogger
Karate Champ
PoliceRush!
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bejeweled 2
WORMS
Sumo Master
Grapplearts Submissions (Sports)
Mindfulness Meditation (Healthcare & Fitness)

Free
Bible (Reference)1
Mormon Channel (Lifestyle)2

1 It's by LifeChurch.tv
2 The 'scriptures' feature has audio for the Bible.

Play The Man
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Some of my current apps; not exhaustive and not necessarily favorites:

Free
Dog Whistler
Netflix
To Do
Up
Shakespeare
Grimm Tales
Ligonier
Audiobooks
MMA Junkie
OverDrive
Sherlock Holmes
Level
Epicurious
Pandora
Stanza
Lightsaber
Flashlight
Presidents
Alphabet
The Weather Channel
Uffizi
Louvre
Life
Fox News
iReagan
PRI
Classic Radio
World Heritage
Yelp
Better Buy
iGrand Canyon
WLS AM 890
Declaration of Independence
NASA
Planets
Space Images
Google Earth
WGN 720 Radio
Amber Alert
Carbonite
Urban Spoon
Drudge
iWrecked
Kindle
Constitution
Dennis Miller Radio
What Knot
Triglotta
Christian Creeds & Reformed Confessions
ESV Bible
MemBlock
TickDoctor
Kaplan SAT Flashcubes

Pay Apps
Audubon
100 Push Ups
Camera Genius
Art
iBird Pro
Shrek 4 Book
U.S. Army Survival Guide
SAS Survival Guide
iBookshelf

Play The Man
09-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Some of my iPad apps; not exhaustive and not necessarily favorites (did not list "doubles" from iPhone list):

Free
Wall Street Journal
Fox Business
Gettysburg
Word Search
Radio Disney
Pocket Pond
Disney Movies
iBooks
ABC Player
Toy Story
Free Books

Pay Apps
Navy SEAL Fitness
Hudson River School
Matthew Henry Commentary
Art Authority
Churchill
Flashcards
Scrabble
Instapaper
Star Walk

Rochambeau
09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Do you have favourites?

County Mike
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I've got the Droid X.

One of my most used apps is Kindle for Droid. I'm not likely to carry a book around (or even the larger Kindle device if I had one) but I always have my phone. I find myself with some free time and read a few pages. I used to love reading but the last several years I just didn't have time. With Droid, turns out I do have some time.

Other apps I find useful are:
GolfLogix GPS - Distance to hazards, greens, etc.
Places - look up restaurants, bars, gas stations, etc. in the area.
Calendar - handy organizer/reminder
Facebook - ya know.
Google Maps - navigation
Of course, the camera and camcorder are cool.
Flashlight app (uses the camcorders LED)
Email
Text Messaging

I went on a trip last week and never turned on my laptop. The Droid has practically replaced it.

VCURamFan
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
You must get Epic Citadel for the iPad/Touch. It's a demo of a 3D engine by Unreal Technology & it's amazing. They're planning to come out with a fantasy RPG in 2011, I believe.

I've also got Netflix, the Bible, iBook (Made in America is kinda jacked up thigh, I'm bummed), & a few others.