PDA

View Full Version : China Struck by Earth Quake

Tyburn
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
(April 14) -- A series of powerful earthquakes has rattled the edge of the Tibetan plateau in western China this morning, killing at least 400 people and trapping scores more under collapsed homes in a vast mountain area of Buddhist farmers and coal miners.

Chinese state media say 10,000 have been injured. They put the biggest temblor's magnitude at 7.1, but the U.S. Geological Survey said it measured 6.9. It hit around 7:50 a.m. local time in western China's mountainous Qinghai area, close to the autonomous region of Tibet. Half a dozen aftershocks followed, reaching 5.8 magnitude.

Some 1,200 miles from Beijing, the area is home to Tibetan farmers and herdsmen who live on pastoral land dotted with coal, tin, lead and copper mines. The quake severed roads and communication lines and sparked avalanches careening down from some of the world's highest mountains, complicating efforts to ship relief supplies to the high-altitude region. A huge dam nearby suffered major cracks, state media reported, threatening deadly floods if it were to give way.

State television is running footage of collapsed multi-story buildings, and workers digging through debris with their hands in hopes of finding survivors.

Near the quake's epicenter in Yushu county, state media said 85 percent of all houses were destroyed. The vast majority of Yushu residents there are ethnic Tibetans or Mongolians who live in flimsy wooden houses with earthen walls.

"The streets in Jiegu are thronged with panic -- injured people, with many bleeding in the head," local official Zhuo Hua Xia told the state Xinhua news agency. "Many students are buried under the debris due to building collapse at a vocational school."

"I can see injured people everywhere. The biggest problem now is that we lack tents, we lack medical equipment, medicine and medical workers," Zhuo said.

Hundreds of rescue workers are already in Yushu and thousands more are en route, the government said. "Soldiers have been dispatched to save the people buried in the collapsed houses," Xinhua quoted another local official as saying. But the area is hundreds of miles from a major airport, and relief supplies could be slow to arrive.

"It's the most devastating thing I've ever seen," resident Guo Yang told The Wall Street Journal. "We are busy with rescuing people who are trapped."

Earthquakes are common on the Tibetan plateau, but they rarely cause mass casualties because the area is so sparsely populated. Still, the U.S. Geological Survey said this is the strongest quake since 1976 to strike within 60 miles of the area.

A massive 8.0-magnitude earthquake hit Sichuan in southwestern China in May 2008, leaving nearly 90,000 people dead or missing and millions homeless. Rebuilding still continues from that quake.

BamaGrits84
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I just want to say Revelation!

NateR
04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Is there any precedent for having so many large earthquakes, in different parts of the world, happening so close together? :unsure-1:

Llamafighter
04-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Is there any precedent for having so many large earthquakes, in different parts of the world, happening so close together? :unsure-1:

Per Wiki-answer
"Approximately 1,000 earthquakes measuring 5.0 and above occur yearly. Earthquakes of the greatest intensity happen about once a year and major earthquakes (7.0-7.9) occur about 18 times a year. Strong earthquakes (6.0-6.9) occur about 10 times a month and moderate earthquakes (5.0-5.9) happen more than twice daily. Most earthquakes are not even noticed by the general public, since they happen either under the ocean or in unpopulated areas. Sometimes an earthquake under the ocean can be so severe, it will cause a tsunami, responsible for far greater damage."

Tyburn
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Creation groaning in childbirth pangs...or something :mellow:

:laugh:

The Earth is obviously very active on a tectonic level at present. You must recall all the plates are touching each other...if one gives...it might actually cause another, half a word away to give I suppose....The Reason I dont think this says anything geologically large is on its way, is because if it were...we should have volcanic activity aswell....It probably just a phase the planet is going through this year.

...or maybe its Global Warming :scared0015:

:laugh::laugh:

eric84
04-15-2010, 04:20 PM

The Earth is obviously very active on a tectonic level at present. You must recall all the plates are touching each other...if one gives...it might actually cause another, half a word away to give I suppose....The Reason I dont think this says anything geologically large is on its way, is because if it were...we should have volcanic activity aswell....It probably just a phase the planet is going through this year.

Hey, who knows...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iceland_volcano

Tyburn
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey, who knows...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iceland_volcano

I know...they were talking about that at Work because its shut down all the Trans-atlantic flights...there are some Wal-Mart Officials kinda trapped in England at present...sooo they're comin to see us tommorow instead as they cant fly back to America for a bit :laugh::ashamed:

Neezar
04-16-2010, 03:45 AM

What's up NOW? :Whistle:

Tyburn
04-17-2010, 03:26 PM
The Icelandic Volcano...its into the third day of its erruption..and people looking back are slightly concerned because it was noted in the 1700s that the Volcano went off like this for nearly TWO YEARS!

could you imagine TWO YEARS of no Air Travel in Europe :blink::laugh: