PDA

View Full Version : Springfield GI 1911a1

Garandshooter
04-11-2010, 06:02 AM
I just baught a springfield GI 1911a1. It's just like the ones I trained on in the Navy, except way more accurate. I've only shot 100 rounds so it's not even close to broke in, but I had zero malfunctions. I'll need to fire many more rounds before I can give it a full recomendation, but from what I can tell it's worth the price:cool:

Chuck
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I just baught a springfield GI 1911a1. It's just like the ones I trained on in the Navy, except way more accurate. I've only shot 100 rounds so it's not even close to broke in, but I had zero malfunctions. I'll need to fire many more rounds before I can give it a full recomendation, but from what I can tell it's worth the price:cool:

Pics I say!!!!

Oddtodd76
04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
You bought one heck of a good gun!

Garandshooter
04-24-2010, 01:21 AM
I got a chance to take this out again, and found it will not feed JHP's at all. They nose dive into the frame, and will not load.

Oddtodd76
04-24-2010, 01:45 AM
I got a chance to take this out again, and found it will not feed JHP's at all. They nose dive into the frame, and will not load.

you didn't buy cheap ammo did you?
That gun should fire jhp's just fine.
What brand of ammo was it?

TENNESSEAN
04-24-2010, 03:08 AM
I got one from the springfield custom shop. I had the throat buffed on mine It helped a lot.

Garandshooter
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
you didn't buy cheap ammo did you?
That gun should fire jhp's just fine.
What brand of ammo was it?

remington 230gr JHPs that I used in a Colt 1991a1& springfield xd with out any problem. I don't mind being limited to hardball, because I shoot it almost exclusively in my 45's. I have a glock 22 I keep around for home protection.

Oddtodd76
04-24-2010, 07:30 PM
remington 230gr JHPs that I used in a Colt 1991a1& springfield xd with out any problem. I don't mind being limited to hardball, because I shoot it almost exclusively in my 45's. I have a glock 22 I keep around for home protection.

i shoot the "hard ball" for practice, but i carry only hollow points. I would call Springfield and see what you can do to fix that problem. I don't want a gun that could easily malfunction.

Garandshooter
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I took her out today and fired another 100rds of hardball. Experienced two failure to feeds, and it will not go into battery when a live round is placed down the pipe by hand. I don't plan on modifying this weapon, I wan't to keep it as is. This will never be anything other then a range toy, and that was my thought when I purchased it. With that being said, I pollished the feed ramp to a mirror finish prior to this outing. I will next remove the extractor and gently pollish the leading edge so it slips over the case head. If need be I will also change the angle of the arch on the extractor.
From my experience, and in talking with others who own this model, this would not be a good buy for the guy looking for a home deffense weapon. A loaded, TRP, or even the standard milspec are better choices than the GI model for that purpose.

Tommy Lee Jones is right, "get yourself a glock, lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" Simple operation, reliability, better sights, external spring loaded extractor, and cool factor are why I like the glock 22.:)

Rev
05-09-2010, 05:31 AM
i love my Walther P99 40, but will get a Springfield 1911