PDA

View Full Version : Polish President Killed over Russia in Plane Crash

Tyburn
04-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Polish President Lech Kaczynski and his wife died along with 130 others when their plane crashed while coming in for a landing in western Russia, officials said.

The governor of the Smolensk region, where the crash took place, said no one survived.

"The Polish presidential plane did not make it to the runway while landing. Tentative findings indicate that it hit the treetops and fell apart," Sergei Anufriev said on state news channel Rossiya-24. "Nobody has survived the disaster."

The Polish foreign ministry confirmed that Mr Kaczynski and his wife were aboard the plane.

The head of Russia's top investigative body, Sergei Markin, said there were a total of 132 people on the plane, a Tu-154.

rockdawg21
04-10-2010, 02:05 PM
That's sad. I'm sure there will be plenty of finger pointing in this.

Tyburn
04-10-2010, 07:47 PM
That's sad. I'm sure there will be plenty of finger pointing in this.

Whats worse is who else died. I think their Parliamentary Speaker, their Military Chief of Staff, the head of their Investigations..the plane was packed with dignitaries...and they were enroute to a memorial service commemorating an event where the Russians massicred the Polish :unsure-1:

However...Unlike the United States...the Polish Government has both a President AND a Prime Minister....The Prime Minister was not on the plane because he was flying in from somewhere else.

Apparently they were supposed to fly to a military base, but made a last min change to land due to bad weather or something. :sad:

rearnakedchoke
04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Very sad news .... prayers with his family and all of Poland

Tyburn
04-11-2010, 05:39 PM
The Russians are blaming the Poilet, who isnt alive to defend himself...

The pilot of the plane which crashed on Saturday, killing Polish President Lech Kaczynski, ignored several orders not to land from Russian air traffic control, a Russian military official has been quoted as saying.

Kaczynski, his wife and at least 95 others were killed when the aged Tupolev Tu-154 they were travelling in crashed in a forest while trying to land near the Russian city of Smolensk.

"At a distance of 2.5 kilometres (1.5 miles) the head of air traffic control ascertained that the crew had increased the speed of the descent," the first deputy chief of the Russian Air Force's general staff, Alexander Alyoshin, told the Interfax news agency.

"The head of the air traffic control group gave a command to the crew to put the aircraft into the horizontal position and when the crew did not implement this order, several times gave orders to divert to an alternative airport," he said.

"Despite this, the crew continued the descent. Unfortunately this ended in tragedy," he said.

Tyburn
04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyA-MjZZFY

:sad:

Neezar
04-21-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry that our President couldn't attend the service. :sad:

Tyburn
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry that our President couldn't attend the service. :sad:

Its not his fault. President Barack Obama was invited, and accepted...but how was he supposed to get to Poland when the Atlantic and half of Europe closed their airspace...I'm not sure he could have gotten there by ship quick enough...and...not meaning to be rude...but he wasnt required to attend, so if he couldnt get their resonably I dont think anyone should hold it against him...Its a pity for the Poles though because I think ALOT of people had to cancell last moment for something as obscure as the Icelandic Volcano :laugh:]

It did look to be a beautiful Service...the Introit was The Opening of a Requiem...without looking I cant be sure but I think it was Mozart...so it would have been a splendid service indeed :)

Tyburn
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I was correct. Here is the Introit they used :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88xIIRDI9U