PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so George et al.

Buzzard
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7092435.ece

If this is true, which I believe it is, they should have their day in court. A sure way to turn someone against us if they weren't in the first place. I have posted a few links to sites showing how innocents were turned in for cash, and this reaffirms my thoughts.

Thoughts? If this turns out to be true, thoughts?

J.B.
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM
It ain't so.

/thread

logrus
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
It ain't so.

/thread

ha, mocking him on this site is like insulting God,

Buzzard
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
It ain't so.

/thread

Aw c'mon, did you read it? Surely you have an opinion about it. How about answering the last part of asking for your opinion if it were found out to be true? Personally, I believe it to be true, same as when I posted a few links showing how innocents were turned in to make a buck.

NateR
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Define "innocent" when it comes to prisoners of war. If they were enemy combatants captured on the battlefield, then I fully support the decision to NOT release them. You don't give your enemy back their fighting forces just because they haven't actually done anything wrong. That's a sure way to lose a war.

Dethbob
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
The whole story hinges on the assertion that it was “politically impossible to release them”. That just doesn’t wash. A number of them have been released already because they were determined to be no longer a threat. Why would the ‘innocent’ be impossible to release?

Crisco
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
It all depends on what you mean innocent.

Rev
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm not a fan of taking POWs, they slow you down.
IF this is true, than the guilty parties should stand trial, despite what you liberal crybabies think this isnt "one nation under Bush". If he does wrong he should answer for it. Just like BHO should stand trial for his part in the recent casting aside of the US Constitution. That should fall under treason. lol I believe that carries the death penalty.

rockdawg21
04-16-2010, 03:55 AM
It ain't so.

/thread
LOL, owned

Llamafighter
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I think all enemy POW should be fitted with radio collars and released into the ocean.

TexasRN
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I think all enemy POW should be fitted with radio collars and released into the ocean.

:laugh: Great idea!

~Amy

Buzzard
04-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Define "innocent" when it comes to prisoners of war. If they were enemy combatants captured on the battlefield, then I fully support the decision to NOT release them. You don't give your enemy back their fighting forces just because they haven't actually done anything wrong. That's a sure way to lose a war.

You know, innocent as in not being guilty of a crime. Or is it a crime now to just be a living human being? Did you not read where many of them never saw a US soldier when they were captured. Many were turned over for money. There are other articles out there that also claim people were turned in for the money because of long standing clan feuds.

Colonel Wilkerson, a long-time critic of the Bush Administration’s approach to counter-terrorism and the war in Iraq, claimed that the majority of detainees — children as young as 12 and men as old as 93, he said — never saw a US soldier when they were captured. He said that many were turned over by Afghans and Pakistanis for up to $5,000. Little or no evidence was produced as to why they had been taken.

Referring to Mr Cheney, Colonel Wilkerson, who served 31 years in the US Army, asserted: “He had absolutely no concern that the vast majority of Guantánamo detainees were innocent ... If hundreds of innocent individuals had to suffer in order to detain a handful of hardcore terrorists, so be it.”

He alleged that for Mr Cheney and Mr Rumsfeld “innocent people languishing in Guantánamo for years was justified by the broader War on Terror and the small number of terrorists who were responsible for the September 11 attacks”.

He added: “I discussed the issue of the Guantánamo detainees with Secretary Powell. I learnt that it was his view that it was not just Vice-President Cheney and Secretary Rumsfeld, but also President Bush who was involved in all of the Guantánamo decision making.”

Mr Cheney and Mr Rumsfeld, Colonel Wilkerson said, deemed the incarceration of innocent men acceptable if some genuine militants were captured, leading to a better intelligence picture of Iraq at a time when the Bush Administration was desperate to find a link between Saddam Hussein and 9/11, “thus justifying the Administration’s plans for war with that country”.

He signed the declaration in support of Adel Hassan Hamad, a Sudanese man who was held at Guantánamo Bay from March 2003 until December 2007. Mr Hamad claims that he was tortured by US agents while in custody and yesterday filed a damages action against a list of American officials.

Defenders of Guantánamo said that detainees began to be released as early as September 2002, nine months after the first prisoners were sent to the jail at the US naval base in Cuba. By the time Mr Bush left office more than 530 detainees had been freed.

A spokesman for Mr Bush said of Colonel Wilkerson’s allegations: “We are not going to have any comment on that.” A former associate to Mr Rumsfeld said that Mr Wilkerson's assertions were completely untrue.

The associate said the former Defence Secretary had worked harder than anyone to get detainees released and worked assiduously to keep the prison population as small as possible. Mr Cheney’s office did not respond.

I'm sure not happy with some of the policies Obama is continuing that started with Bush. I think that they were wrong when Bush implemented them and still think that they are wrong when Obama continues them.

LOL, owned

Nah, I would have been owned if he came back with a post that had countered the information in the article and showed proof that it wasn't the case. As it was, a non-answer hardly wins the Owned title. Furthermore, since JB isn't Bush or any of the et al which was referred to in the title, the claim that the thread was ended never held, as you can obviously see by the responses after the /thread response and due to the fact that JB doesn't hold the proper credentials.

I will give it C+ for effort.