PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Tale: Abu Dhabi

Boomer
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Part 1 of 4

A heavy mist slowly seeps from the ground … a stillness in the air. Surrounded by seas of sand .. surreal. As the new dawn breaks crescent across the desert sky, weeping is heard in the distance.. At first only faint, but as the sun pushes back the darkness and the winter has finally been laid to rest a centuries old cycle has re-birthed anew from this long arabian night and the maidens can hold back no more …. weeping turns to deep loud sobs of sorrow ...... they know their loves fate. The Country Sage is in sight, they sob in fear as he draws near for the time has come FOR WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

HAIL HAIL forum of forums Boomers got a tale to tell!! I know I've been MIA for a good portion of this year from my happy little forum family … but after my long stint in Afghanistan last year I had to take some time to decompress and try and do everything I've ever wanted to do in life in six months. It's also called loosing your mind and not knowing when to draw healthy boundaries, but I've regained some composure and cut back from 5 projects to 2 (maybe 3) and starting to feel like my old self after being back for a little over 5 months now. When I hopped on that plane in Afghanistan to jump across the pond this past November I clicked my heels together.. got all the dust off and shouted into a strong East wind “NEVER AGAIN”!! For the past three years I've spent more time in Iraq or Afghanistan then I have on US soil and I've done my time, paid my dues, and let Uncle Sam take me to a point of almost loosing myself and this vow would hold strong …. the vow would hold true … nothing in the world could ever get me back into the middle east .. no amount of money, no over developed sense of duty … no …

Hold the phone … I just go a text from the country sage ….. :)

He has another fight lined up ….. :happydancing:

Its going to be the fight of the CENTURY …...... :w00t: :w00t:

It's ….. :w00t:

In the Middle East ….... :mellow:

:cry:

WHY GOD?? WHY ?? I lamented ….... is matt just messing with me??? Is this another posting 100 videos in his blog cause I cant see them type of trick?? I was hoping for an East Coast Hughes War, or a Mid-West show where Matt could fill a stadium himself but Fri'kn Abu Dhabi??????? :muttering:

After my initial knee-jerk reaction, (which matt was exposed to a little bit of, sorry buddy) :biggrin-1: I got online and booked my tickets round trip back into the land of Ali-Babba and his forty thieves. Two weeks earlier the powers that be asked me to return to the fight in Iraq and I said no … so when my leave form was passed through for signatures I got a call.

Boss man “Soooo … Matt, you can go to the middle east for vacation but not for work?”

“ Yes ...”

Boss man “And what on earth could you want to go to Abu Dhabi for??”

“Well there is a UFC ...”

Boss man :huh: “Wait, there is one of your MMA things in Abu Dhabi??? Is your friend fighting?”

“Yes .. he will be establishing total dominance in a poetic fashion in a totally different sphere of influence spanning the Middle East and Asian markets. If you want to simplify such a feat, than yes .. I guess you could say he is just “fighting” but you are missing deeper levels of meaning and significance that disappointes me .”

Boss man :mellow: :angry: “<DEEEEP Sigh> Ok, so why are you gone for over a week? A fights not that long.”

“I have to carry his bags, get take-out, hail his entry and exits to and from rooms of importance … you know, normal stuff.”

Boss man, :censored: “ You are lucky you are good at your job.”

“You are lucky I am great at my job.”

Boss man, :angry: “ So, can you swing by Baghdad on your way back? Just for two or three weeks.”

“No”

Boss man, :grumpy: “Whens the fight?”

“Saturday, April 10th … “

Boss man, :mellow: “On PPV”

“Yes”

Boss man, :grumpy: “Ill be watching .. get your country brief before you leave.”

TO WARRRRRRRRRR!!!

So here I sit … I left at 930 am this morning to make the jump from Richmond to Chicago and after connecting in Germany I'll finally get to Abu Dhabi sometime tomorrow night!!!!

The Country Sage just called and he is settled in and sharpening his tools for battle. I'll connect with the crew tomorrow and keep ya'll updated!!!!!!!

Silverback
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Yes, Boomman is on the job, Forums we are very lucky, very lucky indeed, we get Matt over there in the sand to bring a good old country a-- beatin to the land of the sand, and we have Boomer to keep us up to date,, Thanks Matt and Boomer, very good stuff.War Hughes and Boomer:punch::punch::punch:

County Mike
04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Awesome!

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Boss man “Soooo … Matt, you can go to the middle east for vacation but not for work?”

“ Yes ...”

Boss man “And what on earth could you want to go to Abu Dhabi for??”

“Well there is a UFC ...”

Boss man :huh: “Wait, there is one of your MMA things in Abu Dhabi??? Is your friend fighting?”

“Yes .. he will be establishing total dominance in a poetic fashion in a totally different sphere of influence spanning the Middle East and Asian markets. If you want to simplify such a feat, than yes .. I guess you could say he is just “fighting” but you are missing deeper levels of meaning and significance that disappointes me .”

Boss man :mellow: :angry: “<DEEEEP Sigh> Ok, so why are you gone for over a week? A fights not that long.”

“I have to carry his bags, get take-out, hail his entry and exits to and from rooms of importance … you know, normal stuff.”

Boss man, :censored: “ You are lucky you are good at your job.”

Boss man, :angry: “ So, can you swing by Baghdad on your way back? Just for two or three weeks.”

“No”

Boss man, :grumpy: “Whens the fight?”

“Saturday, April 10th … “

Boss man, :mellow: “On PPV”

“Yes”

Boss man, :grumpy: “Ill be watching .. get your country brief before you leave.”

!

you mean you still work for them :huh::blink::laugh:

Boomer...you are SOOOO Funny!

:happydancing: Crack On :happydancing:

Llamafighter
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the update Boomer. I have to say I feel a lot better knowing you're over there with the HIT squad. What better dude to represent the forum?
Safe travels my friend and PUHLEEEAAASE keep us up to speed and pass along our good wishes to Matt.

TENNESSEAN
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
does this guy have a way with words or what :w00t:
reading that got me so fired up ill be worthless the rest of the week. may as well go sit on the couch and wait for sat.:frantics:
safe travels buddy.
WAR HUGHES

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 10:53 PM
ill be worthless the rest of the week. may as well go sit on the couch and wait for sat.:frantics:

may I join you :laugh:

Jonlion
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Great read!

Enjoy the middle east again and being with Matt.

To war!

Bonnie
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM

No, we are lucky you are great at your job! :laugh:

He is a silver-tongued.....angel. :wub:

Safe journey Boomer, there and back. Please tell Matt we're with him in spirit and we'll be watching, cheering him on to victory! :)

flo
04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I loved it, made me feel like I was going along! It's so cool that you are there to see the fight! Stay safe, Boomer, keep Matt safe too.

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!

flo
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM

WAR HUGHES

He is a silver-tongued.....angel. :wub:

Safe journey Boomer, there and back. Please tell Matt we're with him in spirit and we'll be watching, cheering him on to victory! :)

Word and word. :happydancing:

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I havent had warm fuzzies on this forum for a very long time...but in this thread.....

:happy:

Neezar
04-06-2010, 04:40 AM
I have been texting Boomer, "So....where are you now?"

:laugh:

Silverback
04-06-2010, 04:51 AM
I have been texting Boomer, "So....where are you now?"

Now change it to,"Are you there yet".:ninja::ninja::ninja:

KevinD
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I have goose-bumps reading this. Can't wait for the fun to start!

DonnaMaria
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
That was a fantastic first chapter! :w00t:

Can't wait for the next!!!!!!

Shoots like a girl
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the update Boomer......... its like having a front row seat! Send our love and support to our UFC hero!!

Llamafighter
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Boomer landed in Abu Dhabi about an hour ago! it's almost 10pm there.

billwilliams70
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Good stuff.

Something tells me that Abu Dhabi will be much different than your time in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Later.

Black Mamba
04-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Great first chapter Boomer! :cool: And glad to hear you made it safely there.

VCURamFan
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
WAR BOOMER!! Man, I'm soooo stoked for this fight on Saturday!! :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

Bonnie
04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
B-O-O-M-E-R! :yell: Wake-up! There's no time for jet lag! What's going on over there? :unsure-1:

Have you met a sheikh yet? What do they wear under those robes? :unsure-1: :laugh:

Boomer
04-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Part 2 of 4

OK gang!! I landed here in Abu Dhabi Tuesday around 8:45 PM …. got through getting our Visas and got to the hotel around 930. In Germany I picked up another forum member Christie … AKA Philps13. She made the trek from Cali to come see our champ so we are OUT IN FORCE!!!!!

matt came down to the lobby to meet us as we were signing in … great seeing him. He looked in fight shape of course .. and MAN Michelle you should see those abs!!!!!! Christie and I went up to drop our things off and we came down and matt was sitting at a table with Jeremy Horn, Matt Pena, DaMarques Johnson and Shawn so Christie and I sat at the table next to them to get some food. After that we walked around a bit with matt in the hotel and then went with him for a training session. After that I turned in ….. Jet lag.

The next day I was up bright and early because I went to bed at a time that was “early” for me. Went down to the gym because that helps with the jet lag. While I was there I saw Anderson Silva for a brief moment and gave him a wave and he smiled and went into the dry heat to cut weight. After a bit of a sweat I went back up to the room, took a shower and txted matt.

“You up?”

matt “In the lobby waiting to go to a press conference.”

“Want some company or no?” With room space, movement and a host of other responsibilities matt has pre-fight I didnt want to get in the way, but he shortly responded with,

“Sure”

So Christie and I go down to meet matt and he sets us up with a ride over to the place where the press conference is going to be. He leaves first and Christie and I are waiting to get in the next set of vans and there is only room for one person … I look in the van and see who I would be sitting by, so I turn and smile at Christie and tell her she can have this one, I'll wait for the next. SHE will have to fill in what happened after that!

This is my third or forth press conference with matt at one of his fights and something that I really enjoy. I'm going to post that vid soon if I can get it uploaded out here. If not than Ill load it when I get back. Matt and I talked with one of the local guys getting his own promotion started there in Abu Dhabi and it was really interesting to hear some of his perspective on the sport and industry. I got to sit next to matt as he was giving an interview to the yahoo sports guy and every answer he gave just made me prouder to be his friend. He talked about past fights, who he is, his fighting goals …... and the reporter was queing in on the fact that matt and BJ Penn seemed to have a playful banter going on during the conference and asked about bad blood .. or if there ever was any? To that matt replied,

“ I really dont think it was bad blood, more just competition. That plus the fact that both of us are two different people now … I mean Im 35, we both have kids … we are just different people now than we were 5 years ago.”

After the press conference matt got us all in the same van going back and we headed up to matt's room to chill for a bit. We watched some TV and as matt was dozing off, Christie and I decided to go out on the town a bit. She really wanted to ride a camel. The hotel folks said that there was no place to do that other than us going on an all night safari and we just were not going to do that. We decide to go over to a local market area and check out some of the touristy things they had. They had old school glass blowing, bronze workers, woodworkers, knife maker and a tapestry maker. Then just as we were in the last shop … the good Lord gave Christie her wish … and camel ride. Here are a few shots of that.

After we get back to the hotel we go back up to matt's room. He is on the bed just resting and gives Matt Pena a call to see when he wanted to go practice. They set a time for 830 and we just chilled in his room until that time. After we go back down to the practice area matt gets on the mat and looks just as comfortable on that mat than he did 2 minutes ago in that bed. I wonder if we could count the time spent in each which would win?

Not going to talk about matt's practice much, still pre-war but I have been given a defacto time keeper responsibility. I time the fighters pratice rounds (to which DaMarques Johnson insists im a “Hillsboro” time keeper from my beginners errors) and call out the time hacks as they progress. Oh and I am a 215 lbs human door stop. To keep prying eyes out of the room when matt throws the mits … my natural gurth makes a hard move for the strongest of foe trying to open a door. Like I said cant say to much, but matt looks AWESOME!! This is going to be an incredible match!!

After the training, Christie and I go eat with Matt Pena, DaMarques, Shawn and Jeremy Horn at the stake place in the hotel. It was a good time getting to know those other guys a little bit better and of course hanging with Pena is always a good time. He is just good people. Well I gotta go, almost 3:00 am here and gots to do more running around tomorrow. The pictures aren't uploading right now for some reason so they will have to wait. The energy in the air here is just intense!!! matt looks great .. he's in good spirits and this really will be something you shouldn't miss. Till later forum buds …

Amy I will try and txt you as soon as I know something during the fight …

Silverback
04-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Boomer good job, have fun, a once in a lifetime deal, Could not happen to better people, enjoy.:punch::punch::punch:WAR MATT

Bonnie
04-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the update, Boomer. :)

MattHughesRocks
04-08-2010, 01:18 AM
And this was all I'll read. I never liked you anyway, you know that right?:angry:
:muttering:

matt came down to the lobby to meet us as we were signing in … great seeing him. He looked in fight shape of course .. and MAN Michelle you should see those abs!!!!!!

Mac
04-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Thats Great Boomer. Thanks for keeping us updated.!!!

Llamafighter
04-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Awesome continuation of the tale, buddy! Glad you're having a good time! I'll be glued to the TV come Saturday. stay safe and have fun

countrybumkin
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Love love your stories Boomer... Keep it coming we are all sooooo excited for the big fight!!! Have a GREAT time you deserve it!!!

TexasRN
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
:w00t: Sounds like you guys are having a blast out there. I love hearing about it all. Tell Christie I said hello and to have a little girl fun for me too!

~Amy

KevinD
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the play by play. It definately adds to the excitement of a Hughes fight!! What I would give to be in your shoes right now. :) Enjoy!!

VCURamFan
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Boomer, that's awesome man. Keep up the hard work & make sure Matt knows how much we're rooting/praying for him this week! :happydancing: :punch:

CAVEMAN
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the updates, Boomer. Sounds like fun! I am SO ready to see this fight!

County Mike
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Very cool. Sounds like a great experience for all of you.

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
04-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Boomer,

U make me feel like I am there:)...in the press conference:w00t:...in the hotel:w00t:.....
But.........I am not there!!!:scared0011:
So, all I have are the Boomer-tales:)
Gotta love them.....so, when u arent helping Matt and eating with Matt and riding with Matt and chatting with Matt and keeping time for Matt.......
get typing!!!! :wink:
Us not so fortunate ones are awaiting the next chapter....:w00t:

U know that down deep, I am so secretly jealous!!!!!!!!
Why in the crap is he fighting over the pond?????????:punch:
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH:cry:

Oh well, we wish him the best and we cannot wait until Saturday!!!!!!!:happydancing::happydancing::happyd ancing:
Tell the man that we are all behind him and we cannot wait to see his hand raised at the end!!!!!!:)

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:punch::punch::punch::punch::punch:
WAR HITSQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS......text me too!

Kix
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
That's awesome Boomer, sounds like you are having a great time. Thank you for the updates...l feel as if l'm right there with ya :w00t:

Boomer
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Part 3 of 4

It's amazing how the human mind works, especially in relation to time. In a single hour of the day you can have one person have it fly by and look a clock in disbelief or you can have someone looking at that same clock, insisting it is not working properly as the moments draw out in some sort of eager anticipation. In my mind this simple truth is never more apparent than on the day before the fights. Cutting weight is a huge part of this sport as you go against your bodies natural defenses to keep one alive and functional. It really is the best personification of the mind telling your body what it can do vs what your body is sending in impulses what it wants/needs. The closest comparison I'd say is when I have seen someone trying to kick a heavy drug addiction. When the body has become dependent on the narcotic, the mind has to beat it.

I pulled an all nighter with matt last night watching movies and making bets to which I am once again loosing :dry: ….. in case it ever comes up in conversation, the same actor who plays “Mac” in Super Troopers also plays “Fink” in the movie Beerfest. Don't let the glasses and 40 extra lbs fool you. I leave his room about 600am and go and try and get a few hours sleep. Had my alarm set cause I had to catch a cab and get some Gatorade for after the weight ins. On the way over Matt sends me a text that he'll be cutting in about a half hour and tell him ill be there soonest I can. When I get back to the hotel matts been at it for about 20 mins already. He rolls for three rounds and hits mits with Pena for three rounds. Then after he goes and rides a stationary bike. As I'm standing there next to him I see rivers of sweat coming from his wrists, seeping from the plastics he is wearing.

“Where am I at Robbie?” matt says

Ruthless Robbie Lawler comes over looks at the time and speed, looks at matt, looks at the sweat puddle on the ground ….

“You've got about a pound left” Robbie says with experienced confidence

matt leans forward and pushed through … this is where it hurts, where you have to tell your body want it can and will do. Massive dehydration slows motor skills, speech and cause your joints to lock …

After a few more mins matt jumps off the bike, heads down to the scale room and hits the floor. Matt Pena (Matts Boxing coach) covers him with towels head to toe. After about 10 mins matt hops up, strips down and gets on the scale …. bullseye. Doing this for over a decade has turned this into a science. After the cut I head up to matt's room for a sec and Robbie gives me one of his TapOut shirts. :w00t: Best design I have seen out of them. Honestly. Of course liking the medieval time period, his shirt caters to my natural likings, but still .. one of the best.

Pena and I go down stairs to grab some food, which Robbie joins us from the pool a little bit after we sit down. I leave a bit early to go make reservations at an Italian restaurant for the crew after the fights .. and apparently I “skip out” on the lunch bill as Robbie calls me out on it later that day. :blink: Hey I gave them my room number … it should have just been charged to the room. :Whistle:

I make the reservation of 18 people and get them to open a half hour earlier for us. Normally they don't open until 7:00pm but explained the to manager the need .. he went back and talked to the cooks and arranged for them to start early for us. The manager also let me take a menu so I could pre-order food so the fighters did not have to wait so long before they got served.

At the time for movement over to the weigh ins we wolf pack up in a combination of Jeremey Horn's gym and HIT squaders. Christie and I are carrying all the water, food and Gatorade to get the fighters back to the land of the living after the scales. When we have to enter into the briefing room, its only fighters and their camps. I get called out for going in and matt steps up and says, he's one of my corner men ….

matt had told me earlier that he was going to get me a corner pass to be back there with them, to which again I was left speechless and just muttered a grossly insignificant “wow thank you matt”. :) This will be a once in a life time experience for me for sure.

We move over to the weigh ins by bus and I sat with Marc Fiore. Marc is so full of life that he is always fun to be around. We get to the place and fighter “camp” members get off the bus first, so I file out and enter the mall. They have security making paths for us through the people. The place was PACKED. It was in a HUGE Mall and you couldn't even get close to the stage. On the way up to where there camps were suppose to stand I got stopped for a picture with someone. I smiled and told them that I wasn't anyone they wanted a picture with that the really stars are coming in a few mins and moved on. :biggrin-1:

During matt and Renzo's time, the crowd started booing matt. Then when matt was trying to talk they were getting more rowdy and rude as matt was trying to speak …... :punch:

After the weigh ins we all pile back on the bus and head back to the hotel. We had a great dinner at the restaurant and one of matt's fans from Kuwait who was with us named “Light” (Noor I think is her proper name, but it means Light and its easier for me to say) paid for us all. She said, “This is your first time to my part of the world, I had too ...” Thank you once again Light. You are a jewel! :)

After dinner I left the pack and went to the room, took a shower and laid down at 9:00pm. Got woken up by a call from the states around mid-night so now here I sit at 200 am getting you all caught up. This is just going to be an amazing event and matt is suiting up for war in a few hours. So now time marches on. Before the weigh ins that clock was relentlessly slow and mocking, drawing out the Country Sage's pain .. trying to beat him before the hour of glory. And now its racing … before we know it the lights will dim .. the arena will roar and the anthem of matt hughes will fill the whole world once more.

TO WARRRRRR!!!

Neezar
04-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you for sharing with us, Boomer. You are so generous with the best thing ever...yourself. :)

TexasRN
04-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Oh Boomer! :w00t:This is all so, so....FANTASTIC!!!! I love every word of it! Well except for the part where those yahoos boo'd our Matt:angry:. Turds. Oh well, it'll make his victory all that much sweeter tomorrow. Just don't forget to breathe during the fight. Remember what happened in Vegas. :wink:

~Amy

TENNESSEAN
04-10-2010, 12:53 AM
WoW!!! What a DAY!!!
Watching the weigh ins I couldn't help but grin. They were booing and matt just played it cool as luke.
Renzo came to his defense but I thought he kind of sounded defeated in the press conference. Like he was preparing his fans for a loss.

Chuck
04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Great read brother!!!!

Tomorrow is going to be AWESOME!!!!!

TENNESSEAN
04-10-2010, 02:41 AM
What time does the live fight start. 12:00 central time I think?

Llamafighter
04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I think this is the best Boomer Tale to date. I'm soo glad you are having a great experience! you deserve every good thing that comes your way, my friend!

WAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR MATT

I was glad Rogan at least said "How dare you" when the crowd booed.

VCURamFan
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I think this is the best Boomer Tale to date. I'm soo glad you are having a great experience! you deserve every good thing that comes your way, my friend!

WAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR MATT

I was glad Rogan at least said "How dare you" when the crowd booed.
Me too. I think at least some of that were people yelling "Huuuuuuuughes" (remember Vegas?), but I don't doubt there were a bunch of idiots there, too.

Jeff Crow
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Jsut saw Boomer on TV in Matt's corner!!! Awesome!!!:cool:

VCURamFan
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Jsut saw Boomer on TV in Matt's corner!!! Awesome!!!:cool:
BOOMER'S FAMOUS!!! :happydancing:

Oddtodd76
04-10-2010, 09:29 PM
We just called Boomer after the fight! We just talked to a famous person!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!
WAR BOOMER!

Boomer
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Part 4 of 4

Well gang this is the last installment of Boomer Tale: Abu Dhabi. From where I left off after the weigh ins, the morning of the fight I wake up and take a long over due shower. I go up and see matt and he is in bed watching tv, just relaxing before go time.

matt “hey boomer, whats going on?”

“not much. Just wondering whats lined up for today.”

matt “I got noth'n but getting to the fight”

I was going to go over with matt around 600pm, the other fighters from the hit squad had to go early because they were the first few fights on the card.

“ok well Im going to go grab some food and I'll come up later.”

matt “ok buddy”

I get some food and lay back down for a bit and its now 1030. I get a call and its Robbie wanting to know if I wanted to go to the mall with him. I said sure so we met down in the lobby about a half an hour later. Christie went with us and is fun to have around. Don't think you could meet someone easier to talk to. I asked the hotel folks if a gold souk was around. In the middle east you have special shopping areas called souks (not sure if im spelling that right but thats how is sounds) that cater to a certain line of merchandise. Gold souks cater to gold, so its popular to go to because you can get some nice jewelry for a lot less than what you can get in the states. Robbie was looking for something for his wife, I just like looking, Christie had never been. On the cab ride over I really enjoyed talking to Robbie. He is extremely smart and observant .. and he followed all my world view babbling well. Most people get the glazed eye look when I get to talking …. but Robbie seemed interested, and added often to what I was saying about world politics, international organizations and stuff most people just dont really know much about. I thought during one of the lulls in the convo that I wished that this could have been captured on a a tape somehow. This if nothing else breaks a common sterotype that mma fighters only fight because they cant do anything else. Honestly with the mind on Robbie, he could do whatever he wanted and be extremely successful. But, Im kinda glad he uses it to bait other world class athletes into dropping there guard so he can open a window for a knock out shot ….. glorious.

We get back from our shopping outing and I head up to sit with the champ until its go time. Christie left us early to ride over with a few other folks matt got some tickets for. I got to talk with matt for a good long while about some aspects of life and faith and pray with him before we march down to go to war. Once we get down there, we end up waiting an extra 30 mins because Silva was late. When we finally make it over to the arena Madsen had already fought and Veech was about to get his war on. It was upsetting that we missed Madsen's fight, but he pulled a “W” so that was good. Veech didn't fair so well this time, but it was a great fight. During the entire fight matt was locked into the screen, screaming out commands and tactics as if he was ringside himself.

Finally after a few hours it was matts time to shine. He got me a corner pass so I was going to get to march out with him and be in his corner. His working corner consisted of Jeremy Horn, Matt Pena and Robbie Lawler. The production staff came and get matt to line him up for the march out and I follow close behind. Silence …. our country warrior's anthem starts … the crowd goes wild .. to be honest the first few notes of the song are all I remember about that aspect of the walk. I was raised on a stage and when I was in the ministry have spoken to crowds of a few thousand people. Its actually much easier than a small crowd because it all just becomes white noise. I do remember following matt through the crowd, close behind matt pena, the UFC production staff directing me at cage side where to stand, the official in charge of checking the fighters gloves saying “hug your corner now if you want.” Matt going down the line and hugging us all. When he came to me, it felt like it was with the energy of us all. All his fans, everyone who loves him and what he has given to the sport. I say to him in his ear .. “this is all you matt.”

He climbs into the cage and the working corner grab the banner. I get on the cat walk and stand behind our champ looking across the way at the people who want to reclaim their family name … and give the crowd what they want to see in a Gracie victory. Not going to happen. Not this night. Buffer gets through his announcements, the corner folds up the banner, and marches down to where the stools are. I squat behind them … the fight starts.

Sitting there behind Pena, Jeremy and Robbie was just amazing and I understood an aspect of the fight game more than ever before through this experience. Cornering is huge and I knew that, but now I feel I understand that. These men, craftsmen and fighters in their own right had spent the last few months (and in this situation have spent decades) of there lives, training and pouring themselves into matt for this fight. Each of them had apart of themselves in that cage with matt, each of them tuned into their area of expertise. They were like three minds acting as one with one voice. The small comments not screamed out fed each others perspective, often they all saw the same hole or flaw in matt or Renzo's game and when called out their instructions where distinctly unique to there own personality. Often the same advise to matt, but delivered in a completely different way but never contradicting. It was just amazing. And matt was in there digesting it all. What was being called, what he felt … how Renzo was responding. Me, I prayed …. haha .. we stick to what we know right. I'm a fan, I've watched 100s of fights .. but I could offer about as much help as they could in helping me write government policy. This was their time, their sweat, their prize, their fight. It was just an honor to be next to them. Honestly can you have a better corner? Jeremy Horn, who has fought in just about every fight organization known to man and pulls a “W” more often than not, Matt Pena who is a renown boxing coach training some of the industries biggest MMA personalities and Robbie Lawler who I think had to get parental consent for his first fight because he started so young, established himself in the industry as a major force in record time and grew that into a dominating career that has organizations fighting over him.

Did that really happen? Was I actually there? Haha ….

The fight was just Epic … all of you saw it. After the fight and matt won the corner gets on the cat walk and they only let Robbie and Jeremy in the cage. The UFC production staff look at Pena and say,

“New rule, only two people in the cage with the fighter. Pena's eyes just dropped … he didn't argue just looked at the man and said,

“Man thats hard .. yea know?”

They all had worked so hard … they all wanted to celebrate together. I almost spoke up, but caught myself. I have a tenancy to take over situations when I see injustice … but I was a guest up there. Robbie ended up coming out so Pena could get in .. I followed matt around the outside of the cage. Then we left the fight area. We were rushed back and he had a medical screening …. and the battle was over.

Matt and crew flew out early Sunday morning … my flight doesn't leave until 2:00am monday morning so Im catching up on sleep and just thinking about this time I had. matt made this one of the best experiences of my life. I got to hang out with some really good folks and make some new friends. One of my favorite movies is “Young Guns” because the theme that ties the movie together is Pals. Alone you are always capped within the limitations of what your own gifts can provide, but when you are surrounded by people you love and respect and you use all of your individual talents and abilities to achieve a common goal, it makes for something pretty incredible.

Til next time my forum friends. This is Boomtown signing off.

Christie is going to post some good pics for you guys soon so stay tuned ... :)

Bonnie
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Boomer, I didn't realize you were going to get to be a cornerman until I saw Matt hug you. I'm kinda glad I missed your post about it because it was such a great surprise! :w00t: "OMGosh......that's Boomer!" :laugh:

I just want to say "thank you" for sharing all of these great moments with us through your Boomer Tales. You are blessed my friend. GOD made you an artist; He gave you a way with words to paint a picture. You make us feel like we can step into the scene and be a part of it all. :)

flo
04-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow, what an experience! Thanks for sharing it, you made me feel like I was there...

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I didnt realize u were going to be walking out/corner with Matt either!!!
I hadn't read the Boomer-tale yet....so what a surprise it was!:)

We had all our friends over......the music begins.....Matt is coming out.....
The excitement and the nervousness are both present, in my living room!:w00t:

And....all of the sudden....
"Was that Boomer?:huh:
My friends are all like, "Who Is Boomer?":unsure-1:
Me, "That IS Boomer!":)

What an awesome experience Boomer, a lifelong memory!!!!!!!!

Congrats to HUGHES and the HITSquad!!!!!:punch:
It was Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Whos next?:punch: Who will Matt fight next? :punch:Whats the prediction?????:punch:
Whoever it is, I feel sorry for them!!!:w00t:

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3dlee
04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Boomer, u had to have had the best experience any sports fan could have. Congrats and thanks for sharing the good times with us. Wow, I wish I taped those fights. Matts striking was top notch

VCURamFan
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Did anyone else notice that Christie got on the PPV, too? Just before Matt walked out, they show a crowd shot of some guy & 2 hot chicks: Christie was the hotie closest to the camera! :cool:

Chuck
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I hadn't read the Boomer-tale yet....so what a surprise it was!:)

We had all our friends over......the music begins.....Matt is coming out.....
The excitement and the nervousness are both present, in my living room!:w00t:

And....all of the sudden....
"Was that Boomer?:huh:
My friends are all like, "Who Is Boomer?":unsure-1:
Me, "That IS Boomer!":)

I know how you feel... running up to the TV in the Winghouse and yelling "Oh ***** there's Boomer!!!!" in front of your son's Wrestling Booster Club is a little bit embarrassing!!!!

County Mike
04-12-2010, 01:14 AM
One of my favorite movies is “Young Guns” because the theme that ties the movie together is Pals.

I feel exactly the same way. At my wedding rehearsal dinner, I gave my groomsmen gifts engraved with "Pals" for the same reason. We all loved the movie growing up and talked about the "Pals" analogy.

Was very cool to see you walk out with Matt. That must have been awesome. Great tale. I was also impressed with Abu Dhabi from the aerial views. Some very impressive architecture there.

Silverback
04-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Boomer, I think you my brother, you not only gave us the tales, but I lived it thru your eyes, and seeing you in Matt's corner, all I thought was Boomman was there for all us and Matt was remembering his forum friend's because you was there for us. What a feeling you must have had, not only does Matt do it, but you do it to, you guy's make us proud!!!!!!:punch::punch::punch:

Tyburn
04-12-2010, 01:32 AM
!

Well you see it goes something like this, in an entourage you all have to have some function...some purpose... :ninja:

Eric4
04-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Boomer, awesome story! My daughters were all wearing their TEAM HUGHES shirts for the fight and one of them noticed you were wearing the same shirt. They thought that was so cool. It would have been amazing to be in your shoes. Thanks for sharing with us.

Llamafighter
04-12-2010, 03:05 AM
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=511
I caught a pic off my buddy's HD tv and sent to Boomer already, but in case anyone missed this...

TENNESSEAN
04-12-2010, 03:31 AM
how did i miss him. i was glued to the tv. i was even looking for him. :unsure-1: im just going to have to watch it again,

great job on the boomer tale. safe travels back cant wait to talk with ya boomtown.

oh yea!! who was in the van? phillips4 aint talkin

Llamafighter
04-12-2010, 04:12 AM
I saw Phillips too! I meant to grab a pic but my friends at the party (who hadn't already seen the fights at 1pm) were yelling at me to stop pausing the TV:laugh:
Boomer the best part is when I buy this fight on DVD you'll be on it, Bro!!!!

Silverback
04-12-2010, 04:25 AM
I saw Phillips too! I meant to grab a pic but my friends at the party (who hadn't already seen the fights at 1pm) were yelling at me to stop pausing the TV:laugh:
Boomer the best part is when I buy this fight on DVD you'll be on it, Bro!!!!

Yes I saw her too, Boomer very nice travel buddy.:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

Llamafighter
04-12-2010, 04:29 AM
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=512
I liked this pic cause Boomer is watching Matt doing his pacing that I know Boom has watched from the PPV side or the stands so many times.

Llamafighter
04-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Also, that is Boomer's "Game face".

VCURamFan
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
As Matt's getting checked by the refs before entering the Octagon, Christie is right behind Boomer. It's so cool to see 4 forumites (Hughes, Pena, Boomer & Philips) all in one shot on a PPV!! :happydancing:

CAVEMAN
04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Well gang this is the last installment of Boomer Tale: Abu Dhabi. From where I left off after the weigh ins, the morning of the fight I wake up and take a long over due shower. I go up and see matt and he is in bed watching tv, just relaxing before go time.

matt “hey boomer, whats going on?”

“not much. Just wondering whats lined up for today.”

matt “I got noth'n but getting to the fight”

I was going to go over with matt around 600pm, the other fighters from the hit squad had to go early because they were the first few fights on the card.

“ok well Im going to go grab some food and I'll come up later.”

matt “ok buddy”

I get some food and lay back down for a bit and its now 1030. I get a call and its Robbie wanting to know if I wanted to go to the mall with him. I said sure so we met down in the lobby about a half an hour later. Christie went with us and is fun to have around. Don't think you could meet someone easier to talk to. I asked the hotel folks if a gold souk was around. In the middle east you have special shopping areas called souks (not sure if im spelling that right but thats how is sounds) that cater to a certain line of merchandise. Gold souks cater to gold, so its popular to go to because you can get some nice jewelry for a lot less than what you can get in the states. Robbie was looking for something for his wife, I just like looking, Christie had never been. On the cab ride over I really enjoyed talking to Robbie. He is extremely smart and observant .. and he followed all my world view babbling well. Most people get the glazed eye look when I get to talking …. but Robbie seemed interested, and added often to what I was saying about world politics, international organizations and stuff most people just dont really know much about. I thought during one of the lulls in the convo that I wished that this could have been captured on a a tape somehow. This if nothing else breaks a common sterotype that mma fighters only fight because they cant do anything else. Honestly with the mind on Robbie, he could do whatever he wanted and be extremely successful. But, Im kinda glad he uses it to bait other world class athletes into dropping there guard so he can open a window for a knock out shot ….. glorious.

We get back from our shopping outing and I head up to sit with the champ until its go time. Christie left us early to ride over with a few other folks matt got some tickets for. I got to talk with matt for a good long while about some aspects of life and faith and pray with him before we march down to go to war. Once we get down there, we end up waiting an extra 30 mins because Silva was late. When we finally make it over to the arena Madsen had already fought and Veech was about to get his war on. It was upsetting that we missed Madsen's fight, but he pulled a “W” so that was good. Veech didn't fair so well this time, but it was a great fight. During the entire fight matt was locked into the screen, screaming out commands and tactics as if he was ringside himself.

Finally after a few hours it was matts time to shine. He got me a corner pass so I was going to get to march out with him and be in his corner. His working corner consisted of Jeremy Horn, Matt Pena and Robbie Lawler. The production staff came and get matt to line him up for the march out and I follow close behind. Silence …. our country warrior's anthem starts … the crowd goes wild .. to be honest the first few notes of the song are all I remember about that aspect of the walk. I was raised on a stage and when I was in the ministry have spoken to crowds of a few thousand people. Its actually much easier than a small crowd because it all just becomes white noise. I do remember following matt through the crowd, close behind matt pena, the UFC production staff directing me at cage side where to stand, the official in charge of checking the fighters gloves saying “hug your corner now if you want.” Matt going down the line and hugging us all. When he came to me, it felt like it was with the energy of us all. All his fans, everyone who loves him and what he has given to the sport. I say to him in his ear .. “this is all you matt.”

He climbs into the cage and the working corner grab the banner. I get on the cat walk and stand behind our champ looking across the way at the people who want to reclaim their family name … and give the crowd what they want to see in a Gracie victory. Not going to happen. Not this night. Buffer gets through his announcements, the corner folds up the banner, and marches down to where the stools are. I squat behind them … the fight starts.

Sitting there behind Pena, Jeremy and Robbie was just amazing and I understood an aspect of the fight game more than ever before through this experience. Cornering is huge and I knew that, but now I feel I understand that. These men, craftsmen and fighters in their own right had spent the last few months (and in this situation have spent decades) of there lives, training and pouring themselves into matt for this fight. Each of them had apart of themselves in that cage with matt, each of them tuned into their area of expertise. They were like three minds acting as one with one voice. The small comments not screamed out fed each others perspective, often they all saw the same hole or flaw in matt or Renzo's game and when called out their instructions where distinctly unique to there own personality. Often the same advise to matt, but delivered in a completely different way but never contradicting. It was just amazing. And matt was in there digesting it all. What was being called, what he felt … how Renzo was responding. Me, I prayed …. haha .. we stick to what we know right. I'm a fan, I've watched 100s of fights .. but I could offer about as much help as they could in helping me write government policy. This was their time, their sweat, their prize, their fight. It was just an honor to be next to them. Honestly can you have a better corner? Jeremy Horn, who has fought in just about every fight organization known to man and pulls a “W” more often than not, Matt Pena who is a renown boxing coach training some of the industries biggest MMA personalities and Robbie Lawler who I think had to get parental consent for his first fight because he started so young, established himself in the industry as a major force in record time and grew that into a dominating career that has organizations fighting over him.

Did that really happen? Was I actually there? Haha ….

The fight was just Epic … all of you saw it. After the fight and matt won the corner gets on the cat walk and they only let Robbie and Jeremy in the cage. The UFC production staff look at Pena and say,

“New rule, only two people in the cage with the fighter. Pena's eyes just dropped … he didn't argue just looked at the man and said,

“Man thats hard .. yea know?”

They all had worked so hard … they all wanted to celebrate together. I almost spoke up, but caught myself. I have a tenancy to take over situations when I see injustice … but I was a guest up there. Robbie ended up coming out so Pena could get in .. I followed matt around the outside of the cage. Then we left the fight area. We were rushed back and he had a medical screening …. and the battle was over.

Matt and crew flew out early Sunday morning … my flight doesn't leave until 2:00am monday morning so Im catching up on sleep and just thinking about this time I had. matt made this one of the best experiences of my life. I got to hang out with some really good folks and make some new friends. One of my favorite movies is “Young Guns” because the theme that ties the movie together is Pals. Alone you are always capped within the limitations of what your own gifts can provide, but when you are surrounded by people you love and respect and you use all of your individual talents and abilities to achieve a common goal, it makes for something pretty incredible.

Til next time my forum friends. This is Boomtown signing off.

Christie is going to post some good pics for you guys soon so stay tuned ... :)

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause:

CAMPO
04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Great story - like always! Good night of fights. LOVED the respect in the ring when Hughes & Gracie were in there...can not say the same about the main event...whoa...that was tacky! BUT - I enjoyed getting to see Matt fight again....he's so cool :)

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend - I sure did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

philips4
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Part 2 of 4

So Christie and I go down to meet matt and he sets us up with a ride over to the place where the press conference is going to be. He leaves first and Christie and I are waiting to get in the next set of vans and there is only room for one person … I look in the van and see who I would be sitting by, so I turn and smile at Christie and tell her she can have this one, I'll wait for the next. SHE will have to fill in what happened after that!

Ok, so first of all I really have been trying to post what happened! Promise, I wrote if FOUR times and each time Boomers computer reverted back to a previous page and I lost it, something to do w/ the service over there, hmmmm:ninja: Boomer wrote in another program and transferred it, I didn't get around to it. However, better late that never....AND.....I bring photos as an apology gift, I took 227 to be exact!!!!

That Boomer, here I was thinking he was being a gentleman letting me get in the first van, yeah right!! I hop in the van in the last row next to a man with a man and woman in the row in front of me. They turn around and we all start chatting. We are having a great time laughing and talking, they tell me all about Abu Dhabi and what I need to do and see. We talk a bit about San Diego and basically are just really hitting it off. The man next to me asks who I am here to see in the fights, I raise my arms in the air pumping my fists like crazy and yell out an exuberant "MATT HUGHES"...... silence :scared0015:..... the man an woman in front of me turn around with scowls on their face and the one next to me turns to stone. A few uncomfortable moments go by and I try and break the ice with a weak "who are you here to see" a pause, the man next to me doesn't even glace my way and mumbles "I am Renzo Gracies manager" and waves an arm at the man in the front seat!! :scared0011: Well, after picking my chin up off the floor we continued our silent ride and luckily were almost there. Anyone that knows me knows I am terrible with names, and apparently not so great with faces, they also know this is something typical that just happens to me! Whattya do?! The press conference was great and I will add pictures of that. To make up for the large foot still in my mouth I did go up to Renzo and ask for a picture with him, after that the ice melted and he and his wife and manager were once again friendly.

I might as well continue with this, I just flew home today and being that its 10:30pm here my mind still thinks its 10:30am so I'm wide awake. The Boomer tale covers it well and I was there for most of it, on the few times I was ditched by those cool corner-men :wink: I managed to have some pretty amazing things happen to me!

Getting ditched #1 .... Before weigh ins we were all hanging out in a lobby-type area. Helena (a fan who flew in from London, also she trained at the HIT Squad for 3 months) were taking pictures, etc. They called for a meeting and had people go into some room, as Boomer and I were filing in we got stopped w/ "fighters and camps only" :sad: well Matt happened to walk by and pointed to Boomer and said he was with him, Boomer enters, I go back and sit down next to some women. We start chatting it up, and its BJ PENNS MOM! She is an amazing woman, telling me how involved she is with BJ, etc. and we really hit if off. She tells me all sorts of BJ things, including that his fight with Matt was his worst injurty! :laugh: She invites me to go to the weigh ins with them, we grab Helena who had also been excluded from the super secret meeting :ninja: We got to the weigh ins, it was in a mall. After a few distractions and a Starbucks Latte later we made it there, nothing like the ones at home! Just in the middle of the mall, we walked right up to it, and stayed for a bit of GSP's Q&A after. Somewhere in there I got invited to go to a dinner/ and then a private party at the Emirites Palace with BJ Penns camp, how nice!

#2 Fight Night. I was planning on sitting w/ Boomer for the fights, but he got the honor of cornering. Either way it was the fight of a lifetime for me and I was thrilled and honored to be there. Matt was generous to let Boomer and I use two of his tickets (they didn't realize they would not allow corner men out to watch) and I am incredibly appreciative and indebted for that! I went to leave early and stopped by to grab Helena who had gotten a ticket from Mark Fiore. We are out front and I hear "HEY SAN DIEGO" I turn to see someone who I didn't recognize or know his name (you shouldn't be surprised by now, right :laugh:) He knows mine, and wants to know if we are going to the fights. He was there with one of the fighters (no, I don't remember who) and had cars and drivers and drove us over! They had the VIP pass and drove right to the front door! Nice! He offers us floor seats a few rows back, just on the other side of the ring! WOW. Didn't need them but I thought that was very nice.

Helena and I went to Matts seats and we noticed the very front row was open. We went up for a picture and then sat down. BJ Penns mom was behind us in row two and they mentioned we are sitting in the Royal Family row, had we become royalty? I replied I guess so and we just stayed there. The fights started and we stayed. Long story short, I made friends w/ security and they let us stay. When the "pre-royal" people who arranged everything (they owned about everything in Dubai) sat next to me I figured they were other seat-crashers and chatted it up w/ them. When security was preparing for the royal people to come in, everyone was tense and trying to make sure it was all perfect. I mentioned to that guy maybe we should move soon and he said no, he will take care of it. They added two chairs to the front row, we all stood as the royal people came and sat on either side of us!! We spent the fights in the middle fo the royal family!!!! :frantics: that will be the pictures of the robbed people, its the presidents two brothers or something, I forget.

So that is how I ended up just a few feet from the cage! People said they saw me behind ever fighter as they did their pre-cage check and a camera guy came up and asked us to cheer for Gracie as he needed that. He came over and the boy on the other side of Helena screamed Gracies as I went wild for Matt Hughes! That was apparently seen and heard everywhere! :happydancing: Near the end of the fights the people who drove us here, sent the driver back to us (hmmm, how did he find us:ninja:) to make sure we had a ride home! WOW we went back to the hotel and had something to eat w/ some of the HIT Squad fighters and corners and had a wonderful time!

I forgot to mention, this apparently important man whom I do not remember his name offered to host me for the Abu Dhabi World Tournaments (is a jiu jitsu tournament, I have trained 7 years) not about to do it but would certainly love to watch that someday!

#3 The flight home. Boomer and I left at the same time and flew to Germany. As it was time to part ways I was bummed to loose such a great travel buddy and ready to spend a few hours by myself in the less-than comfortable Frankfurt airport. (remind me to tell you about the bathrooms Amy, seriously, I don't get it:scared0011:) I guess the camera crew recognized me, offered to take me into the cozy red carpet club and also mentioned that "cheering for Matt" scene made it into some world-wide clip of the fights, basically a highlight reel, and that it was kind of big deal and would be around forever!! Cool!

That was about it.....most of the time Helena and I were included in the famous Boomer Tales, however, I was certainly lucky to have wonderful things and people put in my path whenever I was alone in this foreign country. It was just a blessing to be able to go. My husband is saving his vacation time to go back to Africa and go hunting so went camping w/ my son and the "boys" and my daughter was in D.C. with school so it just worked out. Its a God thing, just like Boomer and I and the camel ride! Other "Christie Moments" included me accidentally blowing off Bruce Buffer when he made an effort to walk over and introduce himself to me, forgetting who any fighters except HIT squad fighters were, and tripping over GSP. Oh well, that is just me, having fun! I had an amazing time and so happy I could be there as Matt Hughes made another mark in history and took yet another Gracie out!!!!!!!::punch::happydancing::happydancing:

Thanks to Boomer who is not only a great travel buddy but now a wonderful friend, honest and true and fun as could be. Thank you to Matt Hughes, who takes time out of his schedule to be friendly, generous and courteous to everyone. Thanks for letting us use your ticket, that was beyond anything I would have been able to do, it was an experience of a lifetime and greatly appreciated!

Okay, pictures finally done uploading, I'll give it a shot!

hmmmm.....any suggestions on uploading, did I mention I have 227 pictures? It made me stop at 5

Chuck
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok, so first of all I really have been trying to post what happened! Promise, I wrote if FOUR times and each time Boomers computer reverted back to a previous page and I lost it, something to do w/ the service over there, hmmmm:ninja: Boomer wrote in another program and transferred it, I didn't get around to it. However, better late that never....AND.....I bring photos as an apology gift, I took 227 to be exact!!!!

That Boomer, here I was thinking he was being a gentleman letting me get in the first van, yeah right!! I hop in the van in the last row next to a man with a man and woman in the row in front of me. They turn around and we all start chatting. We are having a great time laughing and talking, they tell me all about Abu Dhabi and what I need to do and see. We talk a bit about San Diego and basically are just really hitting it off. The man next to me asks who I am here to see in the fights, I raise my arms in the air pumping my fists like crazy and yell out an exuberant "MATT HUGHES"...... silence :scared0015:..... the man an woman in front of me turn around with scowls on their face and the one next to me turns to stone. A few uncomfortable moments go by and I try and break the ice with a weak "who are you here to see" a pause, the man next to me doesn't even glace my way and mumbles "I am Renzo Gracies manager" and waves an arm at the man in the front seat!! :scared0011: Well, after picking my chin up off the floor we continued our silent ride and luckily were almost there. Anyone that knows me knows I am terrible with names, and apparently not so great with faces, they also know this is something typical that just happens to me! Whattya do?! The press conference was great and I will add pictures of that. To make up for the large foot still in my mouth I did go up to Renzo and ask for a picture with him, after that the ice melted and he and his wife and manager were once again friendly.

I might as well continue with this, I just flew home today and being that its 10:30pm here my mind still thinks its 10:30am so I'm wide awake. The Boomer tale covers it well and I was there for most of it, on the few times I was ditched by those cool corner-men :wink: I managed to have some pretty amazing things happen to me!

Getting ditched #1 .... Before weigh ins we were all hanging out in a lobby-type area. Helena (a fan who flew in from London, also she trained at the HIT Squad for 3 months) were taking pictures, etc. They called for a meeting and had people go into some room, as Boomer and I were filing in we got stopped w/ "fighters and camps only" :sad: well Matt happened to walk by and pointed to Boomer and said he was with him, Boomer enters, I go back and sit down next to some women. We start chatting it up, and its BJ PENNS MOM! She is an amazing woman, telling me how involved she is with BJ, etc. and we really hit if off. She tells me all sorts of BJ things, including that his fight with Matt was his worst injurty! :laugh: She invites me to go to the weigh ins with them, we grab Helena who had also been excluded from the super secret meeting :ninja: We got to the weigh ins, it was in a mall. After a few distractions and a Starbucks Latte later we made it there, nothing like the ones at home! Just in the middle of the mall, we walked right up to it, and stayed for a bit of GSP's Q&A after. Somewhere in there I got invited to go to a dinner/ and then a private party at the Emirites Palace with BJ Penns camp, how nice!

#2 Fight Night. I was planning on sitting w/ Boomer for the fights, but he got the honor of cornering. Either way it was the fight of a lifetime for me and I was thrilled and honored to be there. Matt was generous to let Boomer and I use two of his tickets (they didn't realize they would not allow corner men out to watch) and I am incredibly appreciative and indebted for that! I went to leave early and stopped by to grab Helena who had gotten a ticket from Mark Fiore. We are out front and I hear "HEY SAN DIEGO" I turn to see someone who I didn't recognize or know his name (you shouldn't be surprised by now, right :laugh:) He knows mine, and wants to know if we are going to the fights. He was there with one of the fighters (no, I don't remember who) and had cars and drivers and drove us over! They had the VIP pass and drove right to the front door! Nice! He offers us floor seats a few rows back, just on the other side of the ring! WOW. Didn't need them but I thought that was very nice.

Helena and I went to Matts seats and we noticed the very front row was open. We went up for a picture and then sat down. BJ Penns mom was behind us in row two and they mentioned we are sitting in the Royal Family row, had we become royalty? I replied I guess so and we just stayed there. The fights started and we stayed. Long story short, I made friends w/ security and they let us stay. When the "pre-royal" people who arranged everything (they owned about everything in Dubai) sat next to me I figured they were other seat-crashers and chatted it up w/ them. When security was preparing for the royal people to come in, everyone was tense and trying to make sure it was all perfect. I mentioned to that guy maybe we should move soon and he said no, he will take care of it. They added two chairs to the front row, we all stood as the royal people came and sat on either side of us!! We spent the fights in the middle fo the royal family!!!! :frantics: that will be the pictures of the robbed people, its the presidents two brothers or something, I forget.

So that is how I ended up just a few feet from the cage! People said they saw me behind ever fighter as they did their pre-cage check and a camera guy came up and asked us to cheer for Gracie as he needed that. He came over and the boy on the other side of Helena screamed Gracies as I went wild for Matt Hughes! That was apparently seen and heard everywhere! :happydancing: Near the end of the fights the people who drove us here, sent the driver back to us (hmmm, how did he find us:ninja:) to make sure we had a ride home! WOW we went back to the hotel and had something to eat w/ some of the HIT Squad fighters and corners and had a wonderful time!

I forgot to mention, this apparently important man whom I do not remember his name offered to host me for the Abu Dhabi World Tournaments (is a jiu jitsu tournament, I have trained 7 years) not about to do it but would certainly love to watch that someday!

#3 The flight home. Boomer and I left at the same time and flew to Germany. As it was time to part ways I was bummed to loose such a great travel buddy and ready to spend a few hours by myself in the less-than comfortable Frankfurt airport. (remind me to tell you about the bathrooms Amy, seriously, I don't get it:scared0011:) I guess the camera crew recognized me, offered to take me into the cozy red carpet club and also mentioned that "cheering for Matt" scene made it into some world-wide clip of the fights, basically a highlight reel, and that it was kind of big deal and would be around forever!! Cool!

That was about it.....most of the time Helena and I were included in the famous Boomer Tales, however, I was certainly lucky to have wonderful things and people put in my path whenever I was alone in this foreign country. It was just a blessing to be able to go. My husband is saving his vacation time to go back to Africa and go hunting so went camping w/ my son and the "boys" and my daughter was in D.C. with school so it just worked out. Its a God thing, just like Boomer and I and the camel ride! Other "Christie Moments" included me accidentally blowing off Bruce Buffer when he made an effort to walk over and introduce himself to me, forgetting who any fighters except HIT squad fighters were, and tripping over GSP. Oh well, that is just me, having fun! I had an amazing time and so happy I could be there as Matt Hughes made another mark in history and took yet another Gracie out!!!!!!!::punch::happydancing::happydancing:

Thanks to Boomer who is not only a great travel buddy but now a wonderful friend, honest and true and fun as could be. Thank you to Matt Hughes, who takes time out of his schedule to be friendly, generous and courteous to everyone. Thanks for letting us use your ticket, that was beyond anything I would have been able to do, it was an experience of a lifetime and greatly appreciated!

Okay, pictures finally done uploading, I'll give it a shot!

hmmmm.....any suggestions on uploading, did I mention I have 227 pictures? It made me stop at 5

Great story and great pictures! We're all glad you made it home safe!!!

TexasRN
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh Christie, that all sounds so amazing!!! Thank you for taking the time to write it up for us. Very cool. Now....about those bathrooms....

Btw, everyone here in Raleigh knows who you are now after seeing you on tv. I started screaming your name and made the bf rewind the fight so I could show you to everyone. So yes, you are famous all over the world now. :laugh:

~Amy

County Mike
04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Cool story and awesome camel ride pic.

Llamafighter
04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Great tale, Christie! Glad you had a great time. sounds like an amazing adventure!

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Christie, wonderful "tales". :laugh: I'm picturing that scene in the van! :scared0011: :laugh: You should have said something like, "I came to see you too!" :laugh:

It sounds like you and Boomer had some really great moments over there. Thanks to you both for sharing them with us. They're great! :laugh:

I saw you on tv too when they introduced Renzo (your van companion :laugh:). You look great on tv.

Nice pics. The one with you and all the gang is my favorite. :)

Mac
04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Awsome Story And Asome Pictures to go with it .

Its stories like this and pictures that make me wish i wasnt such a chicken when it comes to airplanes ha ha ha.

CAVEMAN
04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the story and pics! :laugh:That must of been a very uncomfortable moment being the only Matt Hughes fan in a van full of Gracie management! Oh well.......it's not your fault Matt's a stud!

philips4
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Here is my attempt to post more pictures!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0630-Copy.jpg
Here is Renzo and I at the press conference post "van incident"

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0648-Copy.jpg
Boomer and I at the beach, the water is sooo warm! Better than Maui!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0676-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0688-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0578-Copy.jpg
Robbie Lawler and BJ Penns boxing coach (I think)

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0590-Copy.jpg
Press conference

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0614-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0622-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0626-Copy.jpg
This is my favorite picture!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0655-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0698-Copy.jpg
Jeremy Horn, Matt Pena, Matt Hughes and Brian Foster waiting for weigh ins

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0701-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0694-Copy.jpg
post training session

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0703-Copy.jpg
BJ Penns mom and myself

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0708-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0708-Copy.jpg
the Q&A session at the mall

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0717-Copy.jpg
Jeremy, Boomer, me, Shawn

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0717-Copy.jpg
Helena and I at the outdoor venue

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0726-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0732-Copy.jpg
John Madson getting ready to enter the octagon before his fight

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0736-Copy.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0766.jpg
The Royal family I was next to

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0775.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0777.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0795.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0800.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0802.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0804.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0811.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0820.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0822.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0838.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/philips4/UFC%20112%20Abu%20Dhabi%20April%202010/CIMG0846.jpg
Helena, Boomer and myself toasting a perfect week!

County Mike
04-13-2010, 09:48 PM
You're a good looking girl. No wonder you got so much special treatment. :)

Miss Foxy
04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
You're a good looking girl. No wonder you got so much special treatment. :)

Exactly!! Based on them pics the luckiest girl I know!! :)

DonnaMaria
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Really cool pics! I'm not ashamed to say that I'm green with envy!!!!!!:laugh:

philips4
04-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh Christie, that all sounds so amazing!!! Thank you for taking the time to write it up for us. Very cool. Now....about those bathrooms....

~Amy

Okay, so when we went to Abu Dhabi, I must say the bathrooms...hmmm, so it had a normal toilet but you know the sprayer on a hose a kitchen sink has? Well that is all that was in the bathroom next to the toilet, no toilet paper!! :scared0011: Seriously, what are you supposed to do with that?! Now remember those women are covered head to toe in those burkas! I'm just saying!:scared0015: Now, I don't know how coordinated you are, but when I wash my hands I'm half covered in water, but, um, well, you get the idea.....how do they do that?!:ashamed:

On another culture note, why is it when I fly OUT of the US to a muslim country I have to take off my shoes, show my liquids, half strip, give a DNA sample and leave my first born. When I left there to fly here they could have cared less, left on my shoes, kept my liquids, and...and...and.....the women in the robes w/ only their eyes peeking out, well, they show their passport to security, the security holds up the passport and stares at the eyeballs:ninja:, stamps it and they move on!!!!! Ummm, seriously?! Not really getting how we don't want to fly anything suspicious to a foreign country, but who cares what enters.

SteveT
04-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Awesome pics and great story Boomer and Phillips :)

TENNESSEAN
04-14-2010, 04:06 AM
i have to say it was worth the wait:)
the best part of all is when renzo goes home and sits down to watch the fight. he will hear them call his name and then "HAY THATS THE CHICK FROM THE VAN":w00t:
you will haunt him every time he plays that video for anyone:laugh:

TexasRN
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Okay, so when we went to Abu Dhabi, I must say the bathrooms...hmmm, so it had a normal toilet but you know the sprayer on a hose a kitchen sink has? Well that is all that was in the bathroom next to the toilet, no toilet paper!! :scared0011: Seriously, what are you supposed to do with that?! Now remember those women are covered head to toe in those burkas! I'm just saying!:scared0015: Now, I don't know how coordinated you are, but when I wash my hands I'm half covered in water, but, um, well, you get the idea.....how do they do that?!:ashamed:

On another culture note, why is it when I fly OUT of the US to a muslim country I have to take off my shoes, show my liquids, half strip, give a DNA sample and leave my first born. When I left there to fly here they could have cared less, left on my shoes, kept my liquids, and...and...and.....the women in the robes w/ only their eyes peeking out, well, they show their passport to security, the security holds up the passport and stares at the eyeballs:ninja:, stamps it and they move on!!!!! Ummm, seriously?! Not really getting how we don't want to fly anything suspicious to a foreign country, but who cares what enters.

I would be covered in water as well. :laugh: Now I know to smuggle tp next time I travel overseas just in case. I'm a cottonelle girl.

They should have a separate security area set up just for women in those cases and have them show their face to double check AND be patted down since those burkas are baggy. I was frisked at the airport here in NC because I had a bulky sweathshirt on when I was dropping my kids off to fly to TX. I wasn't even getting on a plane! The security guard started explaining herself and why she was doing it and I told her she owed me no explanation and she should do whatever she needed to keep us all safe.

~Amy

Shoots like a girl
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow!! Great pics!! I too am soooo jealous girl! Looks like a great time!

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Great story Christie......what an awesome experience!:w00t:
We are all jealous!!!!

:)

flo
04-15-2010, 02:56 AM
What fantastic pictures, thanks so much for sharing them!

That must have been an experience you will never forget!

I have to say that before I read your caption, I thought that BJ Penn's mom might be your mom, you two look like you could be related.

I too am green with envy. :)

Boomer
04-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Christie great pics and tale!!! :D

To everyone else thanks for your kind words and PMs on these Boomer Tales. I have fun with them and I just hope you all can see matt the way I do. I just re-read these and I missed so much. Watching matt that close in the cage was just amazing .... matt asked me to pray both before and after the fight with all the fighters (and honestly I haven't done anything like that in 10 years or more), staying up and watching movies until it was time for them to fly off ....

I get back to work and my boss has a smile on his face from ear to ear. He saw me on TV (his first UFC PPV) and asked more about the sport than he ever has. I was embarrassed talking to him about the Silva fight. My buddy in Afghanistan even said he saw me during the fight .... :wink: ..... (Chris sign up on the forum .... I know you read these) :laugh:

Good memories, good times ....

Silverback
04-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Boomer, both Matt and you are class act's, and we all thank you for letting us see it thru your eyes.:):):)

flo
04-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Are Boomer and Christie an item? That picture on the beach looked kind of romantic.

Inquiring minds want to know...

OK, nosy minds. :wink: The yenta in me says you make a good couple. :cool:

Boomer
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Are Boomer and Christie an item? That picture on the beach looked kind of romantic.

Inquiring minds want to know...

OK, nosy minds. :wink: The yenta in me says you make a good couple. :cool:

:laugh: No .... Christie is happily married with two kids. I am happily single ... :scared0015:

I make any picture look romantic ....

MattHughesRocks
04-15-2010, 03:21 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/Laughgiggle.gif

Just kidding :mellow:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/thlaugh.gif

Boomer
04-15-2010, 03:24 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/Laughgiggle.gif

Just kidding :mellow:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/thlaugh.gif

:laugh: smooch ...

Boomer
04-15-2010, 03:26 AM
oh and Mac .. dont you owe matt $20

Mac
04-15-2010, 04:10 AM
oh and Mac .. dont you owe matt $20

No , were even from the 20 he lost to me the week before LOL.

flo
04-15-2010, 04:35 AM
:laugh: No .... Christie is happily married with two kids.

:ashamed: Ohhh, sorry Christie, I didn't know.

I am happily single ... :scared0015:

Well, Chuck says you're frickin' HOT so that must be true. :Whistle:

Chuck
04-15-2010, 04:43 AM
:ashamed: Ohhh, sorry Christie, I didn't know.

Well, Chuck says you're frickin' HOT so that must be true. :Whistle:

LOL... Flo my dear Boomer is a great guy... but the quote was taken a bit out of context. :D

flo
04-15-2010, 05:44 AM
:) I was just funnin' ya, Chuck. :ninja:

TLC
04-15-2010, 05:47 AM
I think we need an official Boomer Tale thread. I would like to be able to go back and read them all

philips4
04-15-2010, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=flo;111244]:ashamed: Ohhh, sorry Christie, I didn't know.

:laugh:Oh no problem, I would have asked the same questions!!! My hubby did a boys hunting trip to Africa so it was just my turn! Yep, I'm an old married woman of 15 years!

However, to all ya' single gals out there, I can honestly say after hanging out w/ the man that our Boomer is quite a catch! I'm just saying!! :Whistle:

Chuck
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
:) I was just funnin' ya, Chuck. :ninja:

It's ok... I think you're hot too!!!! :cool:

County Mike
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
More pics of Christie please. ;)

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the Boomer tales!!!!!!!:)

I enjoy them!!!

Bonnie
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I thought that BJ Penn's mom might be your mom, you two look like you could be related.

I caught that too, Flo. The eyes and mouth. :)

philips4
04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I caught that too, Flo. The eyes and mouth. :)

Thats funny, I keep hearing that from other people too, anyone know what nationality she is? Maybe that is why she took me under her wing over there! :laugh: Oh, and believe it or not my mom had red hair (does that make me part ginger?) very white skin and green eyes!

Miss Foxy
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Thats funny, I keep hearing that from other people too, anyone know what nationality she is? Maybe that is why she took me under her wing over there! :laugh: Oh, and believe it or not my mom had red hair (does that make me part ginger?) very white skin and green eyes!
Hawaiian//Japanese

octagon junkie
04-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Another great read Boomer, thank you!

MattHughesRocks
04-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Hey Adrea! :w00t:

Another great read Boomer, thank you!

octagon junkie
04-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Hey Adrea! :w00t:

Hey Michelle how are you?

MattHughesRocks
04-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Pretty good! How have you been? Long time no see.

Hey Michelle how are you?