PDA

View Full Version : First Haiti, then Chilie, Now Mexico Quake

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
:unsure-1: it was VERY close to the US Boarder and the Southern Coastal Cities in California felt it through the ground :unsure-1:

This is the THIRD MAJOR QUAKE in three months in the Greater Meso-American Region. It sounds like the geologically active faults around there are sensative at present.

LOS ANGELES — A powerful earthquake southeast of Tijuana shook Southern California on Sunday afternoon, damaging buildings in northern Mexico and border cities in California and Arizona and rattling a seismically sophisticated population as far north as Los Angeles and Las Vegas as chandeliers swayed, homes shook and the earth seemed to slide under the feet of people emerging from Easter church services for well over a minute.

Carlton Hargrave, 64, was standing in the entryway of Family Style Buffet in Calexico, a California border town, when the quake hit. His restaurant, he said in a telephone interview, was “almost completely destroyed.”

“We’ve got tables overturned, plates broken on the floor, the ceilings caved in,” Mr. Hargrave said with a shaky voice over the sound of his feet crunching rubble and glass. “It was big. I mean, it was major.”

Reports from the remote area in Mexico where the quake hit were slow in coming. But an earthquake of that size would probably cause major property damage near the epicenter, experts said. In northern Mexico, one person was reported to have been killed in a house collapse.

Initial reports from the quake’s epicenter near Mexicali, a large industrial city and the state capital of Baja California, did not speak of catastrophic damage, although photographs posted on Twitter and some news sites showed buildings with crumbled facades and food on supermarket shelves sent crashing to the floor. There were sporadic reports of fires, gas leaks and phone line damage, but none could be confirmed in the hours immediately following the quake.

The Associated Press, citing the Baja California state civil protection director, Alfredo Escobedo, said a multistory parking structure collapsed at the Mexicali city hall but no one was injured.

“In a 7.2, you are going to experience a lot of shaking,” said Morgan Page, a geophysicist with the Geological Survey. “So it would be surprising if there wasn’t a lot of damage. Mexico does have many vulnerable structures.”

Postings on Twitter told of people in shock in Mexico as well as in southern California.

“People were outside crying because the beams looked like they were going to collapse and a wall cracked (along with various things falling) and the power went out in some parts,” read one report from Calexico.

In the United States, the shaking was particularly acute in San Diego, where it set off alarms and sent the San Diego fire department responding to several calls, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

“We have some reports of scattered property damage,” Sgt. Ramona Hastings of the San Diego Police Department said in a telephone interview.

At a Sheraton hotel in downtown San Diego, the floor cracked opened and prevented the front doors from shutting. Officials ordered all guests and staff from the building, pending an inspection from structural engineers. Fire officials reported a water main break in front of a hospital and another water line break at a department store.

“There’s scattered stuff all over the place,” said Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego fire department. “There’s nothing colossal.”

Even for California residents who are veterans of previous and more punishing earthquakes, the temblor was impressive.

“House was shaking. Pic fell off bookcase. Lasted about 30 seconds. Worst I’ve felt here since Northridge,” Timothy Nash said in a Twitter message from San Diego.

The Northridge earthquake of Jan. 17, 1994 — a 6.7-magnitude temblor that was centered in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Reseda — lasted for about 20 seconds but proved to be one of the most devastating natural disasters to hit the United States. There were 72 deaths attributed to the quake, and it caused an estimated $20 billion in damage.

Initial reports indicated that Sunday’s earthquake, while bigger in magnitude, caused nowhere near the damage.

While this earthquake exceeded the numerical magnitude of the 7.0 earthquake in Haiti earlier this year, the damage there was far greater because the epicenter was near the heavily populated capital city, Port-au-Prince.

The Baja earthquake was the largest in a series that have taken place in the region that presages it, beginning with a 4.2 quake on March 31. It was followed by strong aftershocks.

In Los Angeles, homes slid from side to side for well over a minute, a nauseating and seemingly endless wave that could be felt from the beach to the Hollywood Hills. Power failures caused by the temblor were reported in Yuma, Ariz.

Emilio Magaña, 39, a priest at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in Calipatria, Calif., had just finished a morning of Easter services at different locations around rural Imperial County and was napping in his church in the middle of lettuce and carrot fields when the quake struck.

“I awoke to my bed shaking and heard some pictures from the walls falling down,” he said. “My nerves were a little rattled because it was a long earthquake. It lasted almost 2 minutes. It was one very long one, then short temblors. I’ve never felt anything like it.”

Silverback
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
California is next, to become island, buy beachfront now!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
California is next, to become island, buy beachfront now!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lets just say, if I were house hunting...I would NOT be buying in San Fransisco this Year...my best guess is that if this is some sorta geological trend, the United States will host the next epicentre of a 7-8 sized Quake, and it will be on one of the faults that goes through Major Coastal Cities. I think this is very unnerving news...THREE of this magnitude in the same Region? somethings moved on a Tectonic Level hasnt it :ninja:

Of all the places to build a massive city...they just HAVE to put it on an active fault line. I have friends who live in California :unsure-1: I'm trying to persuade them all, now would be a fabulous time for say a three month vacation...preferably out of State :laugh:

Silverback
04-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Lets just say, if I were house hunting...I would NOT be buying in San Fransisco this Year...my best guess is that if this is some sorta geological trend, the United States will host the next epicentre of a 7-8 sized Quake, and it will be on one of the faults that goes through Major Coastal Cities. I think this is very unnerving news...THREE of this magnitude in the same Region? somethings moved on a Tectonic Level hasnt it :ninja:

Of all the places to build a massive city...they just HAVE to put it on an active fault line. I have friends who live in California :unsure-1: I'm trying to persuade them all, now would be a fabulous time for say a three month vacation...preferably out of State :laugh:

How fast can you RUN!!!!!!!!!:scared0015::scared0015::scared0015:

NateR
04-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Well, the largest earthquakes in the history of the US didn't happen in California, they actually happened in New Madrid, Missouri in 1811 and 1812.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

County Mike
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
When a massive earthquake hits the USA, how many other countries will send aid?

Exactly.

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
How fast can you RUN!!!!!!!!!:scared0015::scared0015::scared0015:

My Record for running was actually on US soil.

Picture the scene, the Aircraft lands at Philadelphia International Airport, its a small plane, its running VERY late because it was like an hour delayed leaving Chicago O'Hare. So we arrive and sitting at the back of this plane I'm twiddling my thumbs because it takes forever for everyone infront to move.

I get off to hear that I have fifteen mins to catch my rather large Transatlantic flight...from the other side of the world

I have NEVER ran so fast, for so long my whole entire life....I made it across the HUGE airport in less then ten mins. :mellow:It was the second worst Experience in America I have ever had...to make it worse...the baggage handlers couldnt keep up with me...and my luggage wasnt sent over until the next day :angry:

I dont run...you must have seen videos of me...do I look anything approaching even minutely athletic in anything other then mind :mellow:

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, the largest earthquakes in the history of the US didn't happen in California, they actually happened in New Madrid, Missouri in 1811 and 1812.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

thats lovely Nathan :)

I still wouldnt go buying in San Fransisco...just in case.

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Exactly.

I suppose we might :cool: I assume we would contribute something...we contributed to places like Haiti and Chilie, we'll probably contribute to Mexico...I imagine if something happened like that in the US we would help them too. Thats what friends are for :cool:

Miss Foxy
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I was at my fathers house which is about 2hrs away from the center of the quake. Let's just say I felt it big time!! I literally woke up from a nap..My ex-in laws are from Mexicali and they are really shook up, but not a lot of damage considering the size of the quake. Thank God..

Miss Foxy
04-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Exactly.

Im sure a lot will considering we have a lot of Allies.. When disasters occur I try to remember we are helping fellow mankind and worrying about where they are from is the last thing on my mind. :cool:

Silverback
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I was at my fathers house which is about 2hrs away from the center of the quake. Let's just say I felt it big time!! I literally woke up from a nap..My ex-in laws are from Mexicali and they are really shook up, but not a lot of damage considering the size of the quake. Thank God..

Nap's can Kill or I mean, sometimes I would kill for a nap:scared0015::scared0015::scared0015:

Miss Foxy
04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Nap's can Kill or I mean, sometimes I would kill for a nap:scared0015::scared0015::scared0015:

lol..Seriously I don't like to sleep, but that nap was long overdue and what a rude awakening!!:laugh:

J.B.
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM

I've been to Mexicali and Baja many times. Some people are saying they felt it here in the Valley, but I didn't feel anything.

County Mike
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
I suppose we might :cool: I assume we would contribute something...we contributed to places like Haiti and Chilie, we'll probably contribute to Mexico...I imagine if something happened like that in the US we would help them too. Thats what friends are for :cool:

That's my point. Usually, nations like Haiti or Chile are considered "poor" and in need of help. The United States isn't looked at as a poor nation, so the other countries typically just let us take care of it ourselves.

I'm fine with that until everyone starts whining about how much aid we NEED to send to others. Also, how easily other nations forget our help when they want to complain about us.

Miss Foxy
04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I've been to Mexicali and Baja many times. Some people are saying they felt it here in the Valley, but I didn't feel anything.

That's what I heard that a lot of people in Phoenix all the way to Tucson felt it?!! :blink: My kids are in Tucson for the week thank goodness. I don't like earthquakes..:w00t:

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
That's my point. Usually, nations like Haiti or Chile are considered "poor" and in need of help. The United States isn't looked at as a poor nation, so the other countries typically just let us take care of it ourselves.

I'm fine with that until everyone starts whining about how much aid we NEED to send to others. Also, how easily other nations forget our help when they want to complain about us.

I dont think I complained in this thread or said anything about the U.S needing to help anyone :unsure-1: I think I just said there was an Earthquake in Mexico...and there maybe one like it in the US later this year if the region doesnt settle on a tectonic level.

Sorry if you thought I was having a go :unsure-1:

County Mike
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I dont think I complained in this thread or said anything about the U.S needing to help anyone :unsure-1: I think I just said there was an Earthquake in Mexico...and there maybe one like it in the US later this year if the region doesnt settle on a tectonic level.

Sorry if you thought I was having a go :unsure-1:

Not at all Dave. My post wasn't about your post. It was just about the world in general. Just a little venting on behalf of my country.

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Not at all Dave. My post wasn't about your post. It was just about the world in general. Just a little venting on behalf of my country.

:laugh: ohh right...fair enough. :laugh: proceed :) I was just making sure as im not really supposed to talk about some of the subjects your vent touches on :ninja:

Rev
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
:laugh: ohh right...fair enough. :laugh: proceed :) I was just making sure as im not really supposed to talk about some of the subjects your vent touches on :ninja:

LOL, You are wise beyond your years Dave.

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
LOL, You are wise beyond your years Dave.

:laugh: No, I just have my hands tied behind my back at present (well, not literally :laugh: )

:laugh::laugh:I'm TRYING to keep out of trouble :laugh::laugh:

rockdawg21
04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh no, then end is near! :rolleyes:

Tyburn
04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh no, then end is near! :rolleyes:

dont worry...it wont last :laugh:

BamaGrits84
04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone who has read Revelations shouldn't be suprised by any of this - quakes are mentioned 3 times. Efran from TUF posted something on Twitter about how it was "scary" considering it happened on Easter and how many quakes there had been recently. And so I replied - the only ones who should be scared are those who aren't right with Jesus. As much as I desire for lost people to have longer to accept Jesus, I'm kind of sick of the crap Christians have to deal with on Earth and I'm just ready to have really peace. So I say let the quakes continue until the trumpets play. And let me say if you are not Saved and Obama gets shot in the head, is assumed dead, and is all of a sudden fine in 2 days - well you better hit the ground on your knees and get right real fast. And no I don't assume Obama is the anti-Christ, I know it seems possible that he could be.

Chuck
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone who has read Revelations shouldn't be suprised by any of this - quakes are mentioned 3 times. Efran from TUF posted something on Twitter about how it was "scary" considering it happened on Easter and how many quakes there had been recently. And so I replied - the only ones who should be scared are those who aren't right with Jesus. As much as I desire for lost people to have longer to accept Jesus, I'm kind of sick of the crap Christians have to deal with on Earth and I'm just ready to have really peace. So I say let the quakes continue until the trumpets play. And let me say if you are not Saved and Obama gets shot in the head, is assumed dead, and is all of a sudden fine in 2 days - well you better hit the ground on your knees and get right real fast. And no I don't assume Obama is the anti-Christ, I know it seems possible that he could be.

It's just Revelation... no "s" at the end. :wink:

And from a purely Scriptural point of view there really isn't any way he could be the Antichrist. There is mounting evidence that he's a jackass though so I wouldn't rule that out! :D

BamaGrits84
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
It's just Revelation... no "s" at the end. :wink:

And from a purely Scriptural point of view there really isn't any way he could be the Antichrist. There is mounting evidence that he's a jackass though so I wouldn't rule that out! :D

Not disagreeing just wondering what scripture do you base this on? I asked my pastor right after the elections and he sent me a good email on it, but I can't find it. Basically it listed 3 things that have to occure before the anti-christ is revealed and only two of those things have. I just started studying Revelation (no "s" :laugh: ) this weekend and I'm excited about really studying it not just reading it.

Chuck
04-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Not disagreeing just wondering what scripture do you base this on? I asked my pastor right after the elections and he sent me a good email on it, but I can't find it. Basically it listed 3 things that have to occure before the anti-christ is revealed and only two of those things have. I just started studying Revelation (no "s" :laugh: ) this weekend and I'm excited about really studying it not just reading it.

There are quite a few things that need to happen before the appearance of the Antichrist and while we may be getting there we're still a long way off. I have some notes on it I'll try to dig up later and PM you.

NateR
04-07-2010, 04:11 AM
According to most interpretations (the previous is my qualifier, so that no one here (Dave) claims that I am claiming to be able to predict the future), the Anti-Christ would need to be from a specific geographical region. Some think it is one of the eastern European nations, like Romania, others think that he will come from the Middle East. Obama is an African, so that doesn't match up.

Like Hitler, Obama is a good example of an evil man rising to power very quickly. The Anti-Christ will rise to power in a similar fashion, but will be granted much more control over the entire world. So, no, Obama is not the Anti-Christ, no matter how much he is trying to be.

Tyburn
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
According to most interpretations (the previous is my qualifier, so that no one here (Dave) claims that I am claiming to be able to predict the future), the Anti-Christ would need to be from a specific geographical region. Some think it is one of the eastern European nations, like Romania, others think that he will come from the Middle East. Obama is an African, so that doesn't match up.

Like Hitler, Obama is a good example of an evil man rising to power very quickly. The Anti-Christ will rise to power in a similar fashion, but will be granted much more control over the entire world. So, no, Obama is not the Anti-Christ, no matter how much he is trying to be.

I love how you look out for me :ashamed::laugh:

The Pope of the middle Ages had more sway then any political leader today...the main problem is, they simply cant control enough of the world...and remember the Anti-Christ isnt going to be considered as anything but fantastic by the population...Half the U.S dont think Obama is performing well...so he doesnt have the support of the masses that Lucifer will have.

The Guy has to be well loved, and has to be controlling internationally...Now the Popes of the Middle Ages did. They controlled Kings of different countries...Even the European Union doesnt have that sort of power.

The Popes as close as we've come to the type of power that would be needed.

If you ask me...there will need to be a LONG standing World Government BEFORE you get the Anti-Christ...and the Temple will need to be built BEFORE the Tribulation....The last person I saw that worried me was Tony Blair because he pretended to be a moralist when he's nothing of the sort and people believed him...but when he failed to become President of Europe...I relaxed and thought "he's not the one then" :laugh:

Chuck
04-07-2010, 11:18 PM
If you ask me...there will need to be a LONG standing World Government BEFORE you get the Anti-Christ...and the Temple will need to be built BEFORE the Tribulation....

I don't think you'll have a longstanding world government before the antichrist. I think it's the antichrist that will unify the people and give birth to the one world government...

Which temple do you think will need to be built before his appearance??

Tyburn
04-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't think you'll have a longstanding world government before the antichrist. I think it's the antichrist that will unify the people and give birth to the one world government...

Which temple do you think will need to be built before his appearance??

The Millenial Temple, that Christ will reign from during the Millenial Reign that starts at the end of the Tribulation.

Lucifer isnt going to let the Temple be built during the Tribulation, because he only wants to glorify himself.

The Design Specifications for the Millenial Temple are written in the latter third of the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel

I personally believe that the Millenial Reign is spent in Judging the world before Armaggedon Battle which takes place afterwards. So I believe that its where the Thrones of Mercy and Judgement are located...its a place you and I shall both visit. :)

bradwright
04-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Exactly.

do you really think Canada wouldn't send aid ?:huh:

if you really think that then i'm surprised.