PDA

View Full Version : Somali Pirates accidently attack the wrong ship: USS Nicholas

Tyburn
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
:laugh::laugh:

NAIROBI, Kenya (April 1) -- The small gang of Somali pirates fired on an approaching ship, hoping their midnight attack would bring them millions in ransom. The ragtag bandits, though, had taken on far more than they could handle: a U.S. warship.

The USS Nicholas, a guided missile frigate, was tracking the pirates when they opened fire early Thursday in Indian Ocean waters, the U.S. military said. The Nicholas, which saw combat in the first Gulf War, returned fire and disabled the skiff.

Navy personnel later boarded and detained three suspects. The Americans found two more bandits on a nearby mothership and later sank the skiff.

"If you think of the kind of young men who are doing this, they go out into the middle of the ocean in a tiny boat. They might not always make rational decisions, and they often attack things that are bigger than they should (attack)," said Middleton.

"It's also quite possible that they don't have a full understanding of the targets they are attacking. Perhaps they just see a big ship they think is a worth a lot of money," he said.

International naval forces have stepped up their enforcement of the waters off East Africa in an effort to thwart a growing pirate trade. Thursday's attack took place between the coast of Kenya and the island nation of Seychelles, said Navy Lt. Patrick Foughty, a spokesman.

Last May, pirates chased a U.S. Navy warship and fired small arms at it. The ship, which had recently served as a prison for captured pirates, increased speed and evaded the attack. French and Dutch naval ships also have been attacked by pirates.

Thursday's attack came just shy of a year since pirates attacked the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama and took American Richard Phillips hostage. Phillips was rescued five days later when Navy SEAL snipers shot three pirates in a lifeboat.

The U.S. Africa Command said the five pirates seized Thursday would remain in U.S. custody on board the frigate for now. The Nicholas is home-ported in Norfolk, Va.

Foughty, the Navy spokesman, said it wasn't yet clear what would be done with the pirate suspects. Doug Burnett, a maritime expert in the global law firm Squire, Sanders and Dempsey, said the five should be charged with piracy and tried in the United States.

"After all, attacking a Navy warship is a pretty obvious pirate cause of action. But the U.S. has not been consistent in trying pirates," he said. "The one for the Maersk Alabama is on trial in New York. But others have been let off or sent to Kenya for trial."

Experts say piracy will continue to be a problem until an effective government is established on Somalia's lawless shores. The country has not had a functioning government for 19 years.

The USS Nicholas served in the first Gulf War, attacking Iraqi positions off the coast of Kuwait and capturing the first Iraqi prisoners of war. The Nicholas also rescued a downed F-16 pilot from the waters off the Kuwait coast.

Meanwhile, the Taiwan government said it fears a Taiwanese fishing boat may have been hijacked by pirates off the Somali coast. Officials lost contact with the 79-ton Jih-chun Tsai 68 fishing trawler on Wednesday.

eric84
04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
There are a few things in there that astonish me.

Thursday's attack came just shy of a year since pirates attacked the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama and took American Richard Phillips hostage.

Was this ship a naval vessel? I remember reading about the snipers that took the pirates out, but did they not fight back to begin with?

Last May, pirates chased a U.S. Navy warship and fired small arms at it. The ship, which had recently served as a prison for captured pirates, increased speed and evaded the attack

So let me get this straight. A United States NAVY WARSHIP was fired up by PIRATES, and it ran away? I'm not an expert on Naval vessels but I would think that almost any naval vessel should be able to easily take on mere pirates. Anyone care to explain to me what I'm missing?

Tyburn
04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
There are a few things in there that astonish me.

Was this ship a naval vessel? I remember reading about the snipers that took the pirates out, but did they not fight back to begin with?

So let me get this straight. A United States NAVY WARSHIP was fired up by PIRATES, and it ran away? I'm not an expert on Naval vessels but I would think that almost any naval vessel should be able to easily take on mere pirates. Anyone care to explain to me what I'm missing?

I'm as clueless as you...I dont remember either of those incidents last year...but honnestly..what dumbass in a dingy challenges a US Warship and expects to win :laugh: what dumbass fires a handgun at a wall of metal :blink: they should be greatful they werent killed by the old rikochet :laugh:

County Mike
04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The Pirates chased a US Navy ship?

They should just sink the ship and any pirate survivors can try to swim back home.

NateR
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Evading an attack is not running away, it's simply taking evasive maneuvers to prevent getting hit. Even is there is little chance that small arms fire can do any damage, why get shot when you don't need to?

Tyburn
04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Evading an attack is not running away, it's simply taking evasive maneuvers to prevent getting hit. Even is there is little chance that small arms fire can do any damage, why get shot when you don't need to?

I think they should have fired back. Warships are effectively Floating Embassies...an attack on a Warship, is an attack on America :ninja:

besides...okay so small arms fire isnt going to do anything to a warship...but what if after the Americans have gone...some fishing trawler were to cross the same stretch of water...in essence, that Pirate ship lives to fight another day...and next time it might not pick on something so hard to get.

Those..other then the obvious "they fired first" would I think have been legitamate arguments for sinking...or at least damaging and then boarding the other vessil.

I also think that the US should try them as war criminals or terrorists...because that is what they are.

but like I said...I dont remember that ever happening before :blink: I posted this because until I read it, I had thought it was the first time any Somali pirates had been stupid enough to fire upon a battleship :laugh: I didnt realize dumbness pervaded there ideologies with regularity quite so much :rolleyes:

Bonnie
04-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Yes, maybe that particular time, for whatever reason, they felt it more prudent to evade than to engage.

NateR
04-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Yes, maybe that particular time, for whatever reason, they felt it more prudent to evade than to engage.

Well, considering that we have Liberals in control of the White House, you never know how our own government is going to attack our military service members, try to declare them murderers and imprison them for doing their job. Thus, it's better to avoid conflict and not risk becoming the US government's scapegoat to avoid a political scandal.

Bonnie
04-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Well, considering that we have Liberals in control of the White House, you never know how our own government is going to attack our military service members, try to declare them murderers and imprison them for doing their job. Thus, it's better to avoid conflict and not risk becoming the US government's scapegoat to avoid a political scandal.

Are you thinking of the case of those Navy Seals going on right now? Saw a piece last night on FOX News...this retired General said they have no evidence supporting the charge(s) against these 3 seals and the General overseeing the case has the authority to stop it right now. I wish he would stop it! I think it's outrageous! :angry:

Just like them letting some of these pirates go like they have some of those GITMO prisoners....it's only gonna come back to bite US.... :wink:

Silverback
04-02-2010, 03:04 AM
The law in the open sea is quite different then on land, look at your radar and if you see 1 bleep, remove the bleep, and then hook em up, and swear you never was there.:sign0081::sign0081::sign0081: