PDA

View Full Version : Obama appointments to bypass Senate approval

Tyburn
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Soooo when he's pushing through his own agenda...Partisan political point scoring is fine...but when it comes down to the Senate approving his new appointments...its not okay :huh: He can ignore Republicans and the people on a Health Reform Bill because his way is right...but let them have no say in matters they are entitled to (when their way is right)

Forget your guns...First Health Reform...now he wants to create massive Trade Unions by the sounds of things...

Can he do this :huh:

President Barack Obama, impatient with Congress' pace, made 15 recess appointments to key posts in his administration Saturday, meaning the nominees can serve through next year without Senate confirmation. Among the appointees: Craig Becker, a controversial union lawyer, named to the National Labor Relations Board.

"The United States Senate has the responsibility to approve or disapprove of my nominees," Obama said in a statement. "But, if in the interest of scoring political points, Republicans in the Senate refuse to exercise that responsibility, I must act in the interest of the American people and exercise my authority to fill these positions... I simply cannot allow partisan politics to stand in the way of the basic functioning of government."

Two appointees to the National Labor Relations Board, Becker, counsel to the Service Employees Union International, and Buffalo, N.Y. labor lawyer, Mark Peace, have drawn the ire of Republicans.

All 41 Senate Republicans signed a recent letter to the White House urging Obama not to use the Spring recess to appoint Becker, a former UCLA professor and a strong advocate for card check legislation which would make it easier for unions to organize. But after Congress left town on Friday, Obama acted on his own. The White House said the 15 nominees have waited an average of 214 days for their confirmation votes in the Senate, where a single senator can hold up such a procedure almost indefinitely.

On Saturday, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) said he was disappointed in the recess appointments. He called Becker a "partisan nominee" and said his appointment was a "clear payback" to organized labor -- an important Democratic Party constituency. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said putting Becker on the NLRB board meant "the business community should be on red alert for radical changes that could significantly impair the ability of America's job creators to compete."

The other appointments included: Jeffrey Goldstein, under secretary for domestic finance in the Treasury Department; Michael F. Mundaca as assistant secretary for tax policy at Treasury; former Indiana Rep. Jill Long Thompson to the Farm Credit Administration Board, and Rafael Borras, under secretary for management, Department of Homeland Security

NateR
03-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Obama is clearly power hungry and is somehow under the impression that we elected him as a dictator who is above the law, not a president who is answerable to the people.

Tyburn
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Obama is clearly power hungry and is somehow under the impression that we elected him as a dictator who is above the law, not a president who is answerable to the people.

I dont think he should be allowed to make appointments without Senate approval...talk about a loop hole...what stops him from making ALL appointments he wants during a recess and never having to bother with Senate on this matter?

You know im growing to despise his attitude. He ignores the public when it suits him...and now he's avoided the Senate...because he's doing the will of the people :blink:

Any excuse to get his own way...this is simply punishment to the republicans in the Senate for daring to vote against his health reform...and he claims THEY are point scoring :huh: