PDA

View Full Version : Kids watching MMA?

BamaGrits84
03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Do you think it's ok to let children watch MMA events? I have two boys, ages 5 & 8. Both are big UFC fans. The love to watch the fights, play "fight night" as they call it, my oldest takes BJJ and wrestling, my youngest wants to, both can rare naked a grown man, the youngest throw bombs like Chuck, they own dozens of MMA realted clothing items. Second to Alabama football it's the sport they are most interested in. All that being said, I had someone pretty much tell me I'm encouraging violence in my children. My thought was to show the lady a little violence at first - j/j. We've never had any problems with them acting violent. We did have a couple of times where we had to explain to the youngest it wasn't ok for him to engage his much smaller classmates in playing "fight night" and trying to make them tap, but other than that no problems with it. And we don't let them watch TUF because the content is not appropriate for children. So my question is do you or would you allow your child to watch MMA events? Personally I think we need more kids who are tough to offset the growing number of parents who are raising pansies.

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I let my 7yr old watch mma with me. His idol is Matt Hughes. He always watches his old fights and stares at the screen without blinking. He does not respond violently either. I have explained the sport and I also have had him in JJ. I think if you explain to your children this is a sport and these are professional fighters not to practice those moves on each other you should be ok. To me it isnt about being a tough guy or pansy, because mma has a few pansies..haha..:laugh: who are professionals..Anyhow good luck!

Spiritwalker
03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
My son (9) and my daughter (7) love watching the PPVs and Fight Nights.. I don't let them watch TUF... maybe I would.. but they are actually in bed at that time.. but the language and crap they do on the show.. they don't need to see

Garrett got his mohawk after seeing Chuck fight... Both my kids were screaming at the TV.. (with all the adults) when Matt was about to rip Royce's arm off...

But my kids take karate.. so they wrestle and spar a bit rough.. so rough some of the other kids in the area don't want to "play" like that...

I say sure it's fine.. as long as there is education behind it.

Twinsmama
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
My kids are 5 and watch. No one in my family thinks it is a good idea. Luckily I have a boy and girl. The boy already knows no hitting girls, even his sister. There are some fights like a broken leg twisted backwards I would kinda hurry them into another room with me for something i just had to have their help with right away...wink,wink. I don't want them seeing to much blood and guts but i think overall it is okay. They don't love watchin Matt whip some booty quite as much as me but they love cheering him on! The girl isn't into it much but she will once she figures out what HOT means!:laugh:

Neezar
03-26-2010, 08:05 PM
My boys aren't allowed to watch. They watch Grey's Anatomy and American Idol. :unsure-1:

:laugh:

County Mike
03-26-2010, 08:40 PM
If you let them watch any other sports, I don't see a problem with UFC. It's a sport, same as football, hockey, baseball, etc.

Shoots like a girl
03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I let my kids watch! My 14 year old daughter likes to watch because most of the guys are hot! LOL!!! But my 5 year old son loves it! His favorite is Chuck Liddell, he even requested a chuck mohawk and has sported it for the last 2 years! Hes a cool as Chuck! When we met Matt (mommys favorite) last summer my son had a big talk with Matt, which was really cool! I dont worry about the violence because my husband has taught him the rights and wrongs of fighting. My biggest worry with my kids and MMA is the PPV fights arent sensored and the language is inappropriate for my kids.

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
I would rather have my son enjoying MMA with mommy than idolizing some rapper or kid from Jersey Shore!! :laugh:

DonnaMaria
03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I would rather have my son enjoying MMA with mommy than idolizing some rapper or kid from Jersey Shore!! :laugh:

very true! lol!

my girls watch. have for years.

it's a sport. there are rules of conduct. no one is saying that people should just go out and brawl on the street........

go with your gut and remember that there will always be people who disagree with you. :)

Garandshooter
03-26-2010, 09:52 PM
My kids are allowed to watch PPV fights, and fight nights. TUF is not allowed due to the poor examples set by most contestants.

DonnaMaria
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
My kids are allowed to watch PPV fights, and fight nights. TUF is not allowed due to the poor examples set by most contestants.

I agree!

TUF=NO!

MMA=YES!

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I let my kids watch! My 14 year old daughter likes to watch because most of the guys are hot! LOL!!! But my 5 year old son loves it! His favorite is Chuck Liddell, he even requested a chuck mohawk and has sported it for the last 2 years! Hes a cool as Chuck! When we met Matt (mommys favorite) last summer my son had a big talk with Matt, which was really cool! I dont worry about the violence because my husband has taught him the rights and wrongs of fighting. My biggest worry with my kids and MMA is the PPV fights arent sensored and the language is inappropriate for my kids.

Yeah like Brock rambling on about beer and getting on his wife!:angry:

Tyburn
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I dont have children.

I let my Cherubs watch though, two cant see that far away clearly...and Jens only really likes it when Anderson Silva is fighting....Jens bobs and weaves also. Its a habit of Budgies that they do when happy...he sees Anderson and he mimics...

rearnakedchoke
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
my kids watch it ... no issues

MattHughesRocks
03-27-2010, 06:34 AM
If I had small children...say...9 or under, no way.There just isn't any need for a small child to see such violence because I'm too lazy and selfish to send them to Grandma's or leave them with a babysitter.MMA is brutal, we're just desensitized.

Garandshooter
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM

This is exactly why I hoped he wouldn't come to UFC. The TNA WWF and other such drama queen television sucks your brain cells out. I HATE IT!!! MMA is a real sport. I usually only watch the last 15 minutes of TUF.

bradwright
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM
If I had small children...say...9 or under, no way.There just isn't any need for a small child to see such violence because I'm too lazy and selfish to send them to Grandma's or leave them with a babysitter.MMA is brutal, we're just desensitized.

i agree with this.

Spiritwalker
03-27-2010, 07:05 PM

If you think that is the case.. then would you continue to desensitize yourself?

If you are desensitized.. and your kids are not... how do you relate?

matthughesfan21
03-27-2010, 07:18 PM
My boys aren't allowed to watch. They watch Grey's Anatomy and American Idol. :unsure-1:

:laugh:how old are your boys?

Llamafighter
03-27-2010, 07:28 PM
My parents didn't really have any problem letting me watch most movies. If my mom heard the eff word more that twice (and she'd groan those time) she's make me turn it off. Then when she went to bed my dad would say "he put that back on that was getting good" LOL

I got no problem with kids watching MMA.

Bonnie
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM

I can't argue with that especially about being desensitized. But, I'd rather my 9 year-old nephew watch MMA than the WWE. His friend, Landon loves to wrestle (WWE) and knows who John Cena is. :rolleyes: Heck, I had to ask Landon what some of those hand signs meant. :laugh: Anyway, I've since broadened their horizons by including MMA and Matt Hughes into their world.

My nephew and I were playing on the Wii the other day and one of the Wii characters names was "Matt". When he saw that he said, "Matt Hughes!" I think he's fully indoctrinated. :ninja:

flo
03-27-2010, 08:31 PM
i agree with this.
ditto.

DonnaMaria
03-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Well........the fights were always on well after the girls bedtimes....so it was never about being too lazy or selfish......:unsure-1:

most often they would see one or two fights and then konk out on the sofa. lol!:laugh: They couldn't hang that long.

I think there is a huge amount of desensitization going on....and my girls were kept from seeing, and still are kept from seeing a lot of stuff

they couldn't/ still can't see shooting violence/gang stuff/sexual stuff on TV or in the movies. That's a given.....

But I always thought that watching MMA was okay, because it was in an arena, it had rules.....we would talk about things. It was always amazing to see how the body worked when someone was knocked out. Or the way someone could keep going because of determination even when they were so tired that they looked like they could fall over. Getting out of holds was always exciting to see. I guess we always looked at the technical stuff and the blood was just part of the sport. We didn't watch TO SEE blood. It was just something that happened.

You are right, it IS brutal.......and I guess a parent also needs to decide if their kid can handle it. It depends also on the kind of kid that you have watching. My girls never internalized it. It was a sport. Period

Neezar
03-28-2010, 03:44 AM

how old are your boys?

19 and 20. :unsure-1:

Neezar
03-28-2010, 03:45 AM
:laugh: jk. They are 5 and 6. (16 months apart. I always feel like I have to clarify that. lol)

matthughesfan21
03-28-2010, 03:57 AM
19 and 20. :unsure-1:I thought you were serious at first, I was gonna ask if they had ever had a girlfriend:laugh:

:laugh: jk. They are 5 and 6. (16 months apart. I always feel like I have to clarify that. lol)Thats acceptable to try to keep them away from it...What age will you start allowing them to watch?

Neezar
03-28-2010, 04:10 AM
I thought you were serious at first, I was gonna ask if they had ever had a girlfriend:laugh:

Thats acceptable to try to keep them away from it...What age will you start allowing them to watch?

I have no idea really. I guess I will know when the time comes.

flo
03-28-2010, 04:41 AM
19 and 20. :unsure-1:

I read that and went :scared0015::scared0011:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-28-2010, 04:53 AM
I said if I had small children. I don't so I don't have to worry about "relating.

If you think that is the case.. then would you continue to desensitize yourself?

bradwright
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM

Adults and children view almost everything differently so relating to them in this situation is no different then any other.

Neezar
03-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Adults and children view almost everything differently so relating to them in this situation is no different then any other.

Exactly. I don't want my children to view this world through my eyes for a long, long time.

Blade
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
MMA is not for kids, end of story. Unless you want kids getting choked unconscious, faces getting split open and limbs getting broken in the schoolyard. Parents who let young kids watch it are morons, end of.

J.B.
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think the sport itself is bad for the kids. However the politics of the business, the adult-themed production, and the meatball fans who only care about seeing violent ruthless aggression are not good for kids.

cubsfan47
03-28-2010, 01:21 PM
:laugh: jk. They are 5 and 6. (16 months apart. I always feel like I have to clarify that. lol)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

cubsfan47
03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
MMA is not for kids, end of story. Unless you want kids getting choked unconscious, faces getting split open and limbs getting broken in the schoolyard. Parents who let young kids watch it are morons, end of.

Well this "schoolyard" action is happening; I see it in the papers everyday. But I don't think these are kids who have been watching MMA with their parents.
It looks to me, a grandpa, like these are kids who have no or little contact with their parents.

Bonnie
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Well this "schoolyard" action is happening; I see it in the papers everyday. But I don't think these are kids who have been watching MMA with their parents.
It looks to me, a grandpa, like these are kids who have no or little contact with their parents.

Or they're at a WWE event WITH their parents. :wacko: I don't watch WWE but a few times channel surfing I've caught it and I couldn't believe how many children were in the audience.

MattHughesRocks
03-28-2010, 03:26 PM
WWE and mma are completely different. WWE is like watching cartoons. From fake fighting to the everyone being a "character". There is nothing like that in mma.No legs snap, no one pours out blood from their heads.

J.B.
03-28-2010, 03:33 PM
WWE and mma are completely different. WWE is like watching cartoons. From fake fighting to the everyone being a "character". There is nothing like that in mma.No legs snap, no one pours out blood from their heads.

Those things NEVER happen in MMA? Actually those 2 things probably happen just as much if not MORE in MMA.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0812/pop.culture.hot.list.1216/images/corey-hill.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/cptlzr/joe-stevenson-ufc-80-1.jpg

The UFC owes it entire business model to Vince McMahon. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-28-2010, 03:49 PM
You read me wrong. I meant not in WWE :laugh:

Bonnie
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Michelle, what about Cory's leg snap (awful!) and there have been plenty of bloody matches in mma. I'm thinking of Joe Daddy right now for one.

I had originally posted "...kids in the audience watching that bloody mess!" But, I took it out 'cause I just knew JB would call me on it! :laugh:

We have to watch what we say around him. :laugh:

Edit: I just saw JB posted Joe Daddy's pic that I was thinking of....totally missed that before I posted. Great minds, huh, JB. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
See my previous post :Whistle:

Michelle, what about Cory's leg snap (awful!) and there have been plenty of bloody matches in mma. I'm thinking of Joe Daddy right now for one.

I had originally posted "...kids in the audience watching that bloody mess!" But, I took it out 'cause I just knew JB would call me on it! :laugh:

We have to watch what we say around him. :laugh:

J.B.
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Actually, the WWE has somewhat tried to revert back to more kid-friendly programming since the late 90's even though it still largely has an 18-35 year old audience.

Today is actually Wrestlemania, and it's here in Arizona for the first time. :cool:

Bonnie
03-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I don't know about leg snaps in WWE, but I've definitely seen blood. Is that not real either? :unsure-1:

J.B.
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't know about leg snaps in WWE, but I've definitely seen blood. Is that not real either? :unsure-1:

It's real, but it's typically staged. They will use little razor blades to cut themselves or other tactics. Although there are times when accidents happen, it's still a very dangerous activity that takes a high level of training to compete at the way they do.

MattHughesRocks
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Watch "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke Bonnie.

Bonnie
03-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Watch "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke Bonnie.

I did. :cry: Good movie....great actor.

Oh, I see, I think I do remember a scene where Mickey Rourke's character hides a razor blade.

Silverback
03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Having four son's I feel I can chime in just a little, if it is out there then kids are going to see, hear, and know about it. They will learn about it in the school yards that you talk about, so I feel as a parent it is up to me to teach them wrong from right, what you can do and when you can do it. I think that lack of parenting is the problem, MMA is a sport, the same as football, baseball, Boxing, and as with any sport you must teach the correct way to play, the rules you must go by. Having said that, my son's wish to fight in the cage and my 19 year old may have his first fight in June, so I have their back's, and with God's help they will do it right, They are very lucky that they have a opportunity and a person like Mark to show them the ropes and back them too, and a person like Matt that inspires and teaches them that if you win or lose, you extend that hand and tell them good fight. That is what counts.:cool::cool::cool:

DonnaMaria
03-28-2010, 04:54 PM
I think that was an excellent post. :)

Blade
03-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Having four son's I feel I can chime in just a little, if it is out there then kids are going to see, hear, and know about it. They will learn about it in the school yards that you talk about, so I feel as a parent it is up to me to teach them wrong from right, what you can do and when you can do it. I think that lack of parenting is the problem, MMA is a sport, the same as football, baseball, Boxing, and as with any sport you must teach the correct way to play, the rules you must go by. Having said that, my son's wish to fight in the cage and my 19 year old may have his first fight in June, so I have their back's, and with God's help they will do it right, They are very lucky that they have a opportunity and a person like Mark to show them the ropes and back them too, and a person like Matt that inspires and teaches them that if you win or lose, you extend that hand and tell them good fight. That is what counts.:cool::cool::cool:

Aren't you stressed about the risk of him getting his face rearranged?

Silverback
03-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Brother he rolls with Mark, we call him the Mauler, Hell, I had a black eye for a couple weeks,was kinda proud of it, and the Chicks dig it.:punch::punch::punch:

DonnaMaria
03-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Isn't Rugby more brutal than MMA?:unsure-1:

Hockey, Rugby, Football, basketball.........in those sports the players often brawl on the field, they hate each other, they display unsportsmanlike conduct. Even the fans get out of control. That doesn’t happen with MMA. Sure the fighters talk up a lot of garbage before the fight, but then come fight time, and after the fight, its over. They show respect for each other and show that it truly is a sport and not anything personal.

I have seen lots of fights in our school and most fights happen because the kids have poor social skills and they don’t know how to use their words to solve problems. They have witnessed their parents using physical force as a solution for problems and then they resort to that themselves. It wasn’t because of the kids watching MMA.

Truly, the kids in our district who wrestle or take Karate are the most disciplined out there. They know when and where to engage in their sport.

Blade
03-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Hockey, Rugby, Football, basketball.........in those sports the players often brawl on the field, they hate each other, they display unsportsmanlike conduct. Even the fans get out of control. That doesnít happen with MMA. Sure the fighters talk up a lot of garbage before the fight, but then come fight time, and after the fight, its over. They show respect for each other and show that it truly is a sport and not anything personal.

I have seen lots of fights in our school and most fights happen because the kids have poor social skills and they donít know how to use their words to solve problems. They have witnessed their parents using physical force as a solution for problems and then they resort to that themselves. It wasnít because of the kids watching MMA.

Truly, the kids in out district who wrestle or take Karate are the most disciplined out there. They know when and where to engage in their sport.

Rugby is brutal but the object of that sport is to get the ball grounded and over the line to score points, not to knock someone out, slice them open, throttle them or break bones/tear ligaments. And actually rugby fans are well behaved, it's soccer fans who are the hooligans.

Silverback
03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Hockey, Rugby, Football, basketball.........in those sports the players often brawl on the field, they hate each other, they display unsportsmanlike conduct. Even the fans get out of control. That doesnít happen with MMA. Sure the fighters talk up a lot of garbage before the fight, but then come fight time, and after the fight, its over. They show respect for each other and show that it truly is a sport and not anything personal.

I have seen lots of fights in our school and most fights happen because the kids have poor social skills and they donít know how to use their words to solve problems. They have witnessed their parents using physical force as a solution for problems and then they resort to that themselves. It wasnít because of the kids watching MMA.

Truly, the kids in out district who wrestle or take Karate are the most disciplined out there. They know when and where to engage in their sport.

Instruction, not only in the "how to do it", but the when and the where, and also controll. :ninja::ninja::ninja:

Bonnie
03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I think that was an excellent post. :)

Me too! :)

Brother he rolls with Mark, we call him the Mauler, Hell, I had a black eye for a couple weeks,was kinda proud of it, and the Chicks dig it.:punch::punch::punch:

Well, that makes it all worth it then. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm not talking about parenting in general. Just kids under 9 watching mma. There is NO WAY you can compare a buch of guys tossing a ball around and hitting the ball with a bat, running, and patting each other butts to mma.

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey, he's 19. Feed him to the wolves! :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 01:36 AM

:wink:

Silverback
03-29-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm not talking about parenting in general. Just kids under 9 watching mma. There is NO WAY you can compare a buch of guys tossing a ball around and hitting the ball with a bat, running, and patting each other butts to mma.

You can when the benches clear, or someone wings a 100 mile a hour fastball at someones head, I have seen some good fights in baseball.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't watch woman's sports anyway.

You can when the benches clear, or someone wings a 100 mile a hour fastball at someones head, I have seen some good fights in baseball.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Spiritwalker
03-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Very Well Said!!!

And I guess that I am a moron... funny that...

My son said GSP should have hugged Dan's arm instead of just holding the wrist..

a 9 year old spotted the technical mistake GSP made... I guess that makes him a moron also?

NateR
03-29-2010, 02:06 AM
The way I see it is kids are born violent, that's not something they need to be taught. So allowing them to watch MMA just shows that there are positive outlets for violence and it can also vividly show them the consequences of violence during some of the bloodier fights.

So I definitely think it's healthier to expose kids to MMA, where the results of violence are real, rather than cartoon violence where it's all exaggerated and played for comedy and no one really gets hurt.

I'm not saying that violence and aggression are bad things, they can be very positive tools; but only when properly controlled and channeled.

Silverback
03-29-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't watch woman's sports anyway.

Thats a shame:Whistle::Whistle::Whistle:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 02:13 AM
And I don't agree with you either :laugh:

The way I see it is kids are born violent, that's not something they need to be taught. So allowing them to watch MMA just shows that there are positive outlets for violence and it can also vividly show them the consequences of violence during some of the bloodier fights.

So I definitely think it's healthier to expose kids to MMA, where the results of violence are real, rather than cartoon violence where it's all exaggerated and played for comedy and no one really gets hurt.

I'm not saying that violence and aggression are bad things, they can be very positive tools; but only when properly controlled and channeled.

J.B.
03-29-2010, 02:23 AM
And I don't agree with you either :laugh:

Suck up! :Whistle:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 02:31 AM
I :wub: NateR.

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 03:30 AM
And letting your kids watch mma to teach them about violence is like teaching them about sex using porn.

Slow your roll parents and parents wanna be's.

bradwright
03-29-2010, 03:43 AM
And letting your kids watch mma to teach them about violence is like teaching them about sex using porn.

pretty much hit the male...err....i mean "NAIL"! ! on the head.

Blade
03-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Very Well Said!!!

And I guess that I am a moron... funny that...

My son said GSP should have hugged Dan's arm instead of just holding the wrist..

a 9 year old spotted the technical mistake GSP made... I guess that makes him a moron also?

I hope he uses that knowledge to break your arm when you don't give him enough pocket money.

Neezar
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I have had some fun in here but on a serious note, I have friends who allow their 4 year old daughter hang out with them and it has no bearing on what they watch on TV. So she sees whatever they choose to watch. I have never said a word or implied this is wrong. I would NEVER want anyone to feel like a bad parent for their choices in this. Each child and their parent(s) are different and that to me is a good thing. I think it is just a choice of the parent, no right or wrong if you educate them. If you allow them to watch and teach them along with it, then good. But it also depends on the children. For example, my boys would be choking each other, breaking arms, throwing elbows, all within 5 mins of watching that. lol. They may be ready for that but I am NOT. :laugh:

(side note: My friends' little girl who watches any TV - You should see what she does with her Barbies. :scared0015: *******:laugh: Ken don't even take her to dinner first. lol)

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow, that's just the saddest thing :sad:

(side note: My friends' little girl who watches any TV - You should see what she does with her Barbies. :scared0015: *******:laugh: Ken don't even take her to dinner first. lol)

Shoots like a girl
03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Exactly! My kids watch the UFC on spike or highlights with have DVR'd of the PPV. But the actual PPV live? We dont let the kids watch, its too adult.

DonnaMaria
03-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Exactly! My kids watch the UFC on spike or highlights with have DVR'd of the PPV. But the actual PPV live? We dont let the kids watch, its too adult.

I agree that some things are too adult, but seriously, my girls have heard worse language from people when we shop at the supermarket. People have no sense anymore. They drop the F bomb or swear and curse all over the place.........

and I always look at my girls and say "Well ..........that was totally inappropriate.....":angry:

MattHughesRocks
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Why is violence ok for small children and not sex?

DonnaMaria
03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not saying that ALL violence is okay. I'm saying that I think that MMA is okay for mY kids. They don't internalize it or act upon it.

My kids don't see any gratuitous violence. We watch the history channel and that has violence, but they don't watch anything like SAW or any kind of stuff that has people hacking other people up for pleasure or entertainment

I'm not saying that SEX is okay AT ALL for kids to see. Not at all. Under any circumstances.

Twinsmama
03-29-2010, 04:35 PM

I hope you are at least being a little sarcastic here. I am not a moron because I let my children watch MMA. My kids are also not morons. We teach them right from wrong and discipline. If you ask me a parent that protects them from everything so they don't have to do actual parenting is a moron. Is it easier to shelter them so you don't have to explain right from wrong? We are not talking about letting them watch horror movies or video games w/ killing.

Many parents are able to use common sense. Many parents also know what is best for child. Some are ready for it, some are not.

Spiritwalker
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM

That's a pretty big leap you have going on there...

Tyburn
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Its called a Cathartic Vent.

Lots of theorists say that watching violence can actively STOP violence from happening. If everyone has a violence seeking impulse of some sort, better it be taken care of safely, then not. huh...and some would say that watching it can stop people needing to act it out.

Maybe you do listen to me after all :laugh:

Spiritwalker
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I hope he uses that knowledge to break your arm when you don't give him enough pocket money.

What does pocket money have to do with MMA?

If I was bringing up a thug... that may happen. My son and daughter understand respect.

My son is a black belt (for his age) in karate now.. my 7 year old will test in a few months.... One of the first things we teach in the dojo is Respect. Martial Arts Begins and Ends with respect.

I was teaching my kids this before we started in the dojo...

Violence is a tool.. nothing more...

Prize Fighting (MMA, Boxing, whatever) Does not teach violence, and IMO dosen't do alot of education.. but it does allow parents to use MMA shows as tools..

Tyburn
03-29-2010, 04:47 PM

maybe Blade just doesnt like you. :huh:

I mean I dissagree with him, and say that if the kids dont start training young they wont be able to perform will they.

But your forever being unreasonably rude to me by calling me out. So I aint gonna defend or stick up for you against another Brit like I would have done had he aimed a personal insult like that at a friend of mine.

We need to rebuild our friendship dont we...coz I feel no loyalty towards you even when people are mean to you. :unsure-1: and he is being his usual mean self.

Spiritwalker
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Oh Well.. no skin off my nose...

I mean I dissagree with him, and say that if the kids dont start training young they wont be able to perform will they.

I don't think that's what he means... but you get much more from martial arts than self defense... You get self worth..

But your forever being unreasonably rude to me by calling me out. So I aint gonna defend or stick up for you against another Brit like I would have done had he aimed a personal insult like that at a friend of mine.

No I am not. When you post some of the stuff that you do regarding my country.. I take offense.. you just don't like getting called out. If you don't want to get called out.. think before you type..

We need to rebuild our friendship dont we...coz I feel no loyalty towards you even when people are mean to you. :unsure-1: and he is being his usual mean self.

ermmmm... dude.. quit being so self absorbed, so sensitive, and think past "yourself" and I won't have any problem with you.. even if you can't do that.. I don't have any problem with you.. until you start "preaching" things that I know are wrong..

Spiritwalker
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM

I think you just pointed about a big difference in you and I... and if I may be so bold.. your country and mine...

I don't really care that much if "people like me" or not.. Take me as I am.. and if you can't stomach that.. sorry...

Hate me or dislike me for an unfounded reason.. then I get confused... but aside from that.. "ah well".

J.B.
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Prize Fighting (MMA, Boxing, whatever) Does not teach violence, and IMO dosen't do alot of education.. but it does allow parents to use MMA shows as tools..

I agree with this 100%. Boxing and MMA are great for kids to be involved in to learn discipline, respect, and to stay healthy.

However, I still think the business side of the two sports is not a place for young kids.

Blade
03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

If I was bringing up a thug... that may happen. My son and daughter understand respect.

My son is a black belt (for his age) in karate now.. my 7 year old will test in a few months.... One of the first things we teach in the dojo is Respect. Martial Arts Begins and Ends with respect.

I was joking about the pocket money.

I have no problem with kids doing martial arts, I just don't think they should be watching mma bouts until they are in their early to mid teens. Just my opinion.

Neezar
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Its called a Cathartic Vent.

Lots of theorists say that watching violence can actively STOP violence from happening. If everyone has a violence seeking impulse of some sort, better it be taken care of safely, then not. huh...and some would say that watching it can stop people needing to act it out.

Maybe you do listen to me after all :laugh:

Well, I don't know if I would go so far as to say LOTS of theorists. :laugh:

Tyburn
03-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, I don't know if I would go so far as to say LOTS of theorists. :laugh:

its kind of a split vote...unfortunatley its exactly the opposite.

Some say Cathartic Vents help release pent up emotional aggression safely, thus reducing actual violence

Some say Cathartic vents actually make it worse...and lead to even more violence...

I side with those who says its a cathartic vent. which is...some...a good few...lot :ashamed::laugh:

BamaGrits84
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM

your comments calling any parent "morons" is offensive. do you even have kids? yes i let my kids watch it. i also let them take bjj and the oldest take wrestling too. neither of them has ever hurt anyone else. and these things you list have long been occuring in some areas (no so much at our local schools) but you can bank on the fact that if any other child puts their hands on my kid they'll wish they never did and i don't feel one bit sorry for thinking that. i'm not teaching my kids to be violent, but if another parent doesn't teach their kid not to be a bully, well my won't be a victim of it. they also know if they ever misuse what they learn from bjj they would be in serious trouble. and they don't look at fights and say "wow i can't wait to split someone open like that". I do think that children who are not correctly parented watching any sort of violence could have a negative impact. i think you should revisit grouping all parents as morons just for letting their child watch a highly skilled sport.

Blade
03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
your comments calling any parent "morons" is offensive. do you even have kids? yes i let my kids watch it. i also let them take bjj and the oldest take wrestling too. neither of them has ever hurt anyone else. and these things you list have long been occuring in some areas (no so much at our local schools) but you can bank on the fact that if any other child puts their hands on my kid they'll wish they never did and i don't feel one bit sorry for thinking that. i'm not teaching my kids to be violent, but if another parent doesn't teach their kid not to be a bully, well my won't be a victim of it. they also know if they ever misuse what they learn from bjj they would be in serious trouble. and they don't look at fights and say "wow i can't wait to split someone open like that". I do think that children who are not correctly parented watching any sort of violence could have a negative impact. i think you should revisit grouping all parents as morons just for letting their child watch a highly skilled sport.

Don't take it personally I think a lot of people are morons, not just parents who let their young kids watch mma.

Spiritwalker
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't take it personally I think a lot of people are morons, not just parents who let their young kids watch mma.

that may be true, but if you start calling me a moron.. then we need to "get together"

Doesn't Matt let his kids watch??? Hmmm....

Neezar
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM

that may be true, but if you start calling me a moron.. then we need to "get together"

:rolleyes: Yeah, meet him on the playground after school.

Calm down. The only things that offend you are what YOU allow to offend.

(Don't get mad. I am just trying to lighten the mood. We have seen how debating parenting can be hurtful. Let's don't go there again, please.)

Tyburn
03-30-2010, 11:26 AM

I hope we're not using threatening violent behaviour spiritwalker :ninja:

Spiritwalker
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I hope we're not using threatening violent behaviour spiritwalker :ninja:

Please go take a long walk on a short pier...

Neezar
03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
My kids are 5 and watch. No one in my family thinks it is a good idea. Luckily I have a boy and girl. The boy already knows no hitting girls, even his sister. There are some fights like a broken leg twisted backwards I would kinda hurry them into another room with me for something i just had to have their help with right away...wink,wink. I don't want them seeing to much blood and guts but i think overall it is okay. They don't love watchin Matt whip some booty quite as much as me but they love cheering him on! The girl isn't into it much but she will once she figures out what HOT means!:laugh:

I hope you are at least being a little sarcastic here. I am not a moron because I let my children watch MMA. My kids are also not morons. We teach them right from wrong and discipline. If you ask me a parent that protects them from everything so they don't have to do actual parenting is a moron. Is it easier to shelter them so you don't have to explain right from wrong? We are not talking about letting them watch horror movies or video games w/ killing.

Many parents are able to use common sense. Many parents also know what is best for child. Some are ready for it, some are not.

When you rush them out of the room are you not sheltering them from something?

I don't understand allowing them to watch but not wanting to see the truth of the consequences.

Neezar
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
My son (9) and my daughter (7) love watching the PPVs and Fight Nights.. I don't let them watch TUF... maybe I would.. but they are actually in bed at that time.. but the language and crap they do on the show.. they don't need to see

Garrett got his mohawk after seeing Chuck fight... Both my kids were screaming at the TV.. (with all the adults) when Matt was about to rip Royce's arm off...

But my kids take karate.. so they wrestle and spar a bit rough.. so rough some of the other kids in the area don't want to "play" like that...

I say sure it's fine.. as long as there is education behind it.

I hope they respect that most other kids don't want to feel pain for fun.

County Mike
03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Haha. I think Blade's either a serious douchebag or just trying to push buttons, but your response cracked me up.

It essentially translates to:

"I let my kids watch MMA. They also learn respect and that it's not OK to go around beating people up, but if you call me a moron, I'm going to beat you up."

Sorry, just found that a little funny.

Spiritwalker
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Haha. I think Blade's either a serious douchebag or just trying to push buttons, but your response cracked me up.

"I let my kids watch MMA. They also learn respect and that it's not OK to go around beating people up, but if you call me a moron, I'm going to beat you up."

I never said I was gonna beat someone up.. but I do realize the irony of the post.. which is why I made it. I hoped someone would get the joke..

But I do take offense when someone makes blanket statements like that..

My kids, when they "rough house".. cause all kids do.. like a like pack of wolves... they tend to play hard.. I don't tell them to "take a dive".. but I do tell them that they need to watch what they are doing.

Neezar
03-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I love this thread because this is something that I struggled with at first.

A couple of years ago when my boys were 3 and 4 I would watch MMA in the den and make the boys stay in the other room. Of course, they would try to sneak in and watch. My oldest is very inquisitive (sp?). He finally asked me once, "Why do you like to watch fighting, Mommy?" Anyway, I know this may be weird but.....I wouldn't mind so much if they knew/thought that Daddy likes to watch fighting but I didn't want them to even know that I enjoy it. :unsure-1: So, I record it or watch after they are asleep or don't watch at all. Right now they are all about anything that pleases Mommy (and I love it, lol). I don't want them to think that them doing that would please me. And just like SW said in another thread: Your actions speak louder than words. Kids see you watching and they understand that you like it.

Neezar
03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I also don't understand the logic of it being okay to watch men hurt each other for sport but not wanting to hear a husband speak of loving/being with his wife. Or drinking beer. Or cursing. Isn't that another golden opportunity to teach?

Blade
03-30-2010, 04:25 PM

What do you suggest? Drinks? Dinner?

Blade
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't push buttons, I crack people on them.

Tyburn
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Please go take a long walk on a short pier...

:laugh: I havent heard that one in ages :mellow:

Speaking of Piers though...my two favourite piers in the world are Cromer Pier in Norfolk England, and Navy Pier in Chicago Illinois...there are several nice piers at Blackpool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEF2Q143F8Y (cromer)

County Mike
03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't push buttons, I crack people on them.

What does that mean? Never heard the expression "cracking people on buttons" before.

Blade
03-30-2010, 08:09 PM
What does that mean? Never heard the expression "cracking people on buttons" before.

Cracking someone on the button? Think of Joe Rogan yelling it and you get the idea. And btw Cuntry Mike who are you calling a serious douchebag?

Shoots like a girl
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Cracking someone on the button? Think of Joe Rogan yelling it and you get the idea. And btw Cuntry Mike who are you calling a serious douchebag?

I think we've gotten way off the point here. Obviously ALMOST everyone here knows that letting your kids watch Matt Hughes beat the hell out of Serra doesnt make parents morons.:rolleyes:

Its quite the oposite actually. Im very well educated, Im a professional business woman. I have 2 college degrees and I let my children watch MMA. I do censor it. If an event is uncensored I usually dont let me little one watch. You never know when Forrest is gonna tell Joe that he just got knocked the "bleep" out. hehe

But it all comes down to parenting. You either parent your children or you dont. My husband and I parent our children. They know right from wrong and they know their options along with the consequences of those options. I can say that if my son ever throws another child in a rear naked choke it wont be because I let him watch UFC, it will be because I didnt articulate the importance of this not happening. Maybe the parent that didnt teach the other kid how to get out of that hold would be the moron? LOL, calm down, it was just a joke! :tongue0011:

Neezar
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I think we've gotten way off the point here. Obviously ALMOST everyone here knows that letting your kids watch Matt Hughes beat the hell out of Serra doesnt make parents morons.:rolleyes:

Its quite the oposite actually. Im very well educated, Im a professional business woman. I have 2 college degrees and I let my children watch MMA. I do censor it. If an event is uncensored I usually dont let me little one watch. You never know when Forrest is gonna tell Joe that he just got knocked the "bleep" out. hehe

But it all comes down to parenting. You either parent your children or you dont. My husband and I parent our children. They know right from wrong and they know their options along with the consequences of those options. I can say that if my son ever throws another child in a rear naked choke it wont be because I let him watch UFC, it will be because I didnt articulate the importance of this not happening. Maybe the parent that didnt teach the other kid how to get out of that hold would be the moron? LOL, calm down, it was just a joke! :tongue0011:

See there. That is what I don't understand. Why is it okay for a child to watch adults pummel each other for fun but you don't want them to hear the 'f' word? Why censor a curse word if they know not to say it?

Shoots like a girl
03-30-2010, 08:31 PM
See there. That is what I don't understand. Why is it okay for a child to watch adults pummel each other for fun but you don't want them to hear the 'f' word? Why censor a curse word if they know not to say it?

I dont believe that this is just good ole fashion beatins. Its a sport, most of these men genuinely like each other and show alot of respect and sportsmanship toward one another. The F-word and P-word and well, most of those words are just ugly. They mean ugly things. Hockey is a brutal sport too and no one wonders if kids should watch. Rugby is a brutal sport, but children watch. Any superhero movie, show or cartoon is about beating the crap out of the bad guy but its good for children to have a role model. Just my opinion.

Blade
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Very well educated people can still be morons, not calling you one, just saying. And I know you're joking, it's ok.

Shoots like a girl
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Very well educated people can still be morons, not calling you one, just saying. And I know you're joking, it's ok.

You are absolutely right, I know some well educated people that are morons. I just dont think because someone doesnt share your opinion makes them one. :)

County Mike
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Accidental mis-spelling of my name? I doubt it and it really speaks for itself. Besides, I gave you the benefit of doubt and said you're either a serious douchebag or just pushing buttons. Since you denied pushing buttons, it was your choice to pick the other option.

At least I understand the cracking someone on the button now.

Blade
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Accidental mis-spelling of my name? I doubt it and it really speaks for itself. Besides, I gave you the benefit of doubt and said you're either a serious douchebag or just pushing buttons. Since you denied pushing buttons, it was your choice to pick the other option.

Yeah well listen sunshine, based on some of the things I've heard about you and the way you act I'm not your biggest fan either, and if you thought I was cool that would probably make me a wanker anyway, so yeah I'm not losing much sleep over it.

County Mike
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Who could you possibly know that really knows anything about me?

TENNESSEAN
03-31-2010, 01:25 AM

glad you got it i still don't.:rolleyes: hes not a serious douche bag. in fact i don't take anything about him seriously. major douche bag fits better i think.

Blade
03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
glad you got it i still don't.:rolleyes: hes not a serious douche bag. in fact i don't take anything about him seriously. major douche bag fits better i think.

Firstly who rattled your cage? And secondly how do you arrive at that conclusion?

MattHughesRocks
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey, stop with the name calling. Don't make me go through this entire thread and start deleting posts. It's too long!:angry:

TENNESSEAN
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey, stop with the name calling. Don't make me go through this entire thread and start deleting posts. It's too long!:angry:

:ashamed:K

BamaGrits84
03-31-2010, 04:40 PM

kind of funny how this topic on kids turned some to acting like them and then you have to "parent" them on name calling.

now i'm gonna randomly use this emotioncon because it's cool and i've never use it before :punch: not related to this thread in any way. sorry.

VCURamFan
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
I dont have children.

I let my Cherubs watch though, two cant see that far away clearly...and Jens only really likes it when Anderson Silva is fighting....Jens bobs and weaves also. Its a habit of Budgies that they do when happy...he sees Anderson and he mimics...

I'm always surprised by the timing of Blade's re-arrival on the scene & the threads he decides to start :stirthepot: in.

Blade
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm always surprised by the timing of Blade's re-arrival on the scene & the threads he decides to start :stirthepot: in.

What's your point?

MattHughesRocks
03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome to my world :laugh:

kind of funny how this topic on kids turned some to acting like them and then you have to "parent" them on name calling.

now i'm gonna randomly use this emotioncon because it's cool and i've never use it before :punch: not related to this thread in any way. sorry.

VCURamFan
03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
What's your point?

That you didn't really have a horse in this race. I mean, you don't have kids, so this thread was for you (like it was for me) a theoretical venture. You stated a personal opinion (which you have every right to do), but then proceeded to call all the parents who already admitted to letting their kids watch MMA morons. You tried to gloss over the insult by saying that you think lots of people are morons, not just them. Then Mike said you were either pushing buttons or else were just a jerk (editted so that dude MHR won't be pissed at me :ninja:), at which point you went even further to using more vulgarity in calling him out, then insulted his personal character even further when you had no basis from which to do so.

All I'm saying is that this thread had very little to do with you (since you don't have kids), but you've since :stirthepot: to the point that now it's all about you.

Blade
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
That you didn't really have a horse in this race. I mean, you don't have kids, so this thread was for you (like it was for me) a theoretical venture. You stated a personal opinion (which you have every right to do), but then proceeded to call all the parents who already admitted to letting their kids watch MMA morons. You tried to gloss over the insult by saying that you think lots of people are morons, not just them. Then Mike said you were either pushing buttons or else were just a jerk (editted so that dude MHR won't be pissed at me :ninja:), at which point you went even further to using more vulgarity in calling him out, then insulted his personal character even further when you had no basis from which to do so.

All I'm saying is that this thread had very little to do with you (since you don't have kids), but you've since :stirthepot: to the point that now it's all about you.

Firstly, how do you know if I have kids or not? Secondly, how do you know anything about the bases from which I do anything? You don't know me, and if you've been told anything about me it would have been lies anyway. And I'm not glossing over anything, I was being lighthearted but now that you mention it I do see a lot of morons and hypocrites on here posting in all the threads, not just in this one.

BamaGrits84
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
it's ok really. yall all need to be nice. it's not that serious.

"He who angers you conquers you."~Elizabeth Kenny

VCURamFan
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Firstly, how do you know if I have kids or not? Secondly, how do you know anything about the bases from which I do anything? You don't know me, and if you've been told anything about me it would have been lies anyway. And I'm not glossing over anything, I was being lighthearted but now that you mention it I do see a lot of morons and hypocrites on here posting in all the threads, not just in this one.

Do you not realize how hypocritical this makes you?

Yeah well listen sunshine, based on some of the things I've heard about you and the way you act I'm not your biggest fan either, and if you thought I was cool that would probably make me a wanker anyway, so yeah I'm not losing much sleep over it.

Blade
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Do you not realize how hypocritical this makes you?

That's not hypocritical, but I do know that you're a nosey little choirboy so I'm not going to enlighten you as to why it isn't hypocritical, so stop reading this and go back to watching the online list.

County Mike
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
The daywalker is trying to fight with everyone. Must be in a bad mood.

Blade
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Is that a Blade reference or are you calling me a ginger? lol

VCURamFan
03-31-2010, 06:49 PM
That's not hypocritical, but I do know that you're a nosey little choirboy so I'm not going to enlighten you as to why it isn't hypocritical, so stop reading this and go back to watching the online list.

Hahaha, you're like the 30th person to call me out on that. :laugh: I feel like I need to start a thread explaining the "Who's Online" list's auto-refresh so I don't look like such a stalker when I leave the window open as I go about my day. :laugh:

So I'm assuming that it's not hypocritical because someone PMed you with "inside info" about Mike, which means that they know him personally & can attest to first-hand knowledge of his character, right?

County Mike
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Is that a Blade reference or are you calling me a ginger? lol

Never seen a pic to know if you're ginger so it's a "Blade" reference.

TENNESSEAN
03-31-2010, 07:02 PM

I'm a daywalker but I was only trying to fight with blade. Not because I let my kids watch mma, I don't. I just think he's a a**

VCURamFan
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm a daywalker but I was only trying to fight with blade. Not because I let my kids watch mma, I don't. I just think he's a a**

HEY! Watch you language!!! :punch:

My language arts teacher taught me that if the word begins with a vowel, your article should be "an", not "a". You should have said "an a**":laugh:

TENNESSEAN
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
HEY! Watch you language!!! :punch:

My language arts teacher taught me that if the word begins with a vowel, your article should be "an", not "a". You should have said "an a**":laugh:

I'm from TENNESSEE what do you expect. Me not talk so good
:sad:

Twinsmama
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm from TENNESSEE what do you expect. Me not talk so good
:sad:

that made me laugh now people are staring...:laugh:

I let my kids watch almost all of it. Even if there is are cuss words. I always teach them that just because someone else does something , like cussing, does not mean they can do it. Adults do lots of things kids can not. I only remove my kids if something that I feel may be to traumatic for them to see...like a leg twisted backwards. I don't think at the age of 5 that would be okay. I do think it is a serious decision that needs to be decided between the parents though. If I saw it affecting their attitude towards others I would stop letting them watch immediately. I would not be okay with my kids being too rough with others.

Shoots like a girl
03-31-2010, 08:15 PM
that made me laugh now people are staring...:laugh:

I let my kids watch almost all of it. Even if there is are cuss words. I always teach them that just because someone else does something , like cussing, does not mean they can do it. Adults do lots of things kids can not. I only remove my kids if something that I feel may be to traumatic for them to see...like a leg twisted backwards. I don't think at the age of 5 that would be okay. I do think it is a serious decision that needs to be decided between the parents though. If I saw it affecting their attitude towards others I would stop letting them watch immediately. I would not be okay with my kids being too rough with others.

Very well said!

MattHughesRocks
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Alright then....

The End :)