PDA

View Full Version : Were you spanked/hit as a kid?

AMJ
03-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Just curious as to your upbringing and if you treat your kids the same way.

I'm not talking about child abuse by the way, I simply mean if you were acting like a brat how would your parents punish/discipline you?

Don't you find kids are being coddled in this generation? I saw a little kid telling his Mother to shutup in the Mall today and I was disgusted at how any parent would let their child speak to them like that.

Spiritwalker
03-25-2010, 03:36 AM
I was spanked with a belt... and when my mom would be really angry... she would swing the belt buckle.... and I had stuff thrown with me ... It was abuse.. and I swore I would never do that to my kids.

Silverback
03-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Heck yeah, I was whipped, never beat, was corrected for doing something wrong, didnt hurt me, My mom would get a weeping willow switch and that baby wouuld wrap around like a whip, hurt like hell. Funny, she would say, This is going to hurt me more then it is you, DUH.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Neezar
03-25-2010, 03:57 AM
My mom would try to shame us into "behaving". And she would smack us on the leg or bottom with her hand. My great-aunt babysat us when we were little and she used a switch. My aunt on dad's side would use her flip-flop. Paternal Granny would pinch us. lol. Maternal Granny never even raised her voice. (I never misbehaved with her. Odd, huh?) My later step-mother gave you the silent treatment until you caved. lol. (HATED THAT!) My dad was a very large man and did physical labor daily. He was terrifying and he whipped me and my sister when I was 4 and she 6. At the time, I thought he was going to kill us. He didn't have to do it again until I was 11. :laugh: When he whipped me then I was pretty much positive he was going to kill me. (That time was a hilarous story. Now, not funny then.) That is the last one that I remember.

Oh! And we recieved paddlings at school. They didn't have to call your parents back then.

Dang! I didn't realize so many people got to whip my butt. :unsure-1:

mscomc
03-25-2010, 05:30 AM
I was spanked as a child. And personally, I think it is quite effective. BUT!!! I would like to make a clear distinction; there is a difference between getting a spanking and getting beat.

When I was spanked, it was becuase I was not listening, and I am sure I really angered my parents. In fact, Im thinking of some of the annoying crap I probably use to do. Usually, it was one firm spank on the rear, or side of the face. That was it. That was a spanking. I got it, my sisters got it, my relatives got it from their parents etc etc. It is just my humble oppinion :wink: but I think we turned out ok. I can tell you this, WE NEVER spoke back to our parents, never yelled at them, disrespected them or anything like that. But at the same time, we DID NOT fear them. We respected and loved them.

Beating on the other hand, is using objects and excessively hitting someone. I am talking about 10 slaps on the face, using a object to repeatedly strike that it my leave a bruise or a cut or some other kind of physical impairment. Also, people who hit their children when they are engraged from alcohol or something else is WRONG. This will cause your child to fear you, and you will damage the relationship. This is the source I think some (not all) parents get their idea of " I got beat as a kid, I am not going to beat my kids". And then these are the kids you see screaming in stores, and we all have to put up with that crap, they yell at their parents, hit them, and tell them to SHUT UP, which absolutely infuriates me.

internationalharvester
03-25-2010, 06:17 AM
I was spanked as a child, not only by my parents, but by my friends parents from time to time...and you know what i learned pretty quick to not do stuff that got me into to much trouble

Chris F
03-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Yes and never got one I did not deserve.

flo
03-25-2010, 06:48 AM
I was the second of five and we all got spanked (by dad only, mom made us feel terrible about acting up, that was enough punishment, usually) although by the time my baby brother arrived, I think my parents were too tired by then and just hollered at him. He definitely had it easier than us older kids :)

But seriously, we were never "hit", just spanked on the butt, never hit with an object either. I don't have kids so I sure don't have any answers; my sister tells me part of the problem with today's kids are parents want to be their friends and not discipline them. I don't think I suffered later in life from being spanked; I always respected my elders and would NEVER have told my parents to "shut up".

How about you, AMJ? And yes, I think kids are disgracefully coddled and the way teachers are treated is UNACCEPTABLE.

(this from a former Catholic student of Sister Mary Discipline with a steel ruler)

Buzzard
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes and never got one I did not deserve.

Same as above, though then I didn't think I deserved it, mostly. I learned then not to do the crime unless I could do the time; I didn't like doing the time. I knew that if I acted out of line there would be consequences to pay. I chose the easy way and learned manners and respect. It paid off ten-fold.

I don't have kids but am saddened at how some kids seem to have the lack of respect and manners that I learned as a child.

County Mike
03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
My sisters and I were spanked. Sometimes with a wooden spoon. I don't have a problem with it. We learned our lessons very quickly. Immediate feedback with a sting to the butt is 100 times more effective than a time out or a talking to. My mom didn't have to tell us more than once to stop doing something that was wrong.

I see a lot of kids today who outright defy their parents. The reason - no spankings.

I would never punch or BEAT my kids but you can bet your ass that I'll spank theirs.

KevinD
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes I was spanked....and looking back was glad I was. I deserved it. I got the belt, wooden spoon, hot wheels track, flyswater. I was never beaten with that but it was applied to my rear end.

rockdawg21
03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I asked for it and if my kids ask for it, I'll give it to them.

rearnakedchoke
03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
i was beat like a stepchild .... and deserved it most of the time ... after a while it didn't feel like much ... haha ... i agree though, there is a difference between a whoopin and abuse ... i was never left with injuries or marks .. come to think of it, my parents were pretty good at it ... even today they wouldn't have had an issue with CAS ... LOL ... now marks and bruises? heh, i had three older brothers ... that is a whole different story ..

County Mike
03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes I was spanked....and looking back was glad I was. I deserved it. I got the belt, wooden spoon, hot wheels track, flyswater. I was never beaten with that but it was applied to my rear end.

Hot wheels track? That's a new one to me. Sounds like your parents were opportunistic discipliners. Just use whatever's nearby. haha

Bonnie
03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Our mom used her hand, the belt and the wooden spoon. She was never one to just hit us for every little thing we might have done, but when she told us something she expected to be minded. My mom's Italian and even though we never learned the language, there were certain words/phrases that we understood. If she was on the phone and we were making too much noise and she had to tell us to be quite more than twice, she would tell her friend in Italian "hold on a minute". When we heard that we knew what that meant and we would all scatter in different directions figuring she couldn't catch all of us. :laugh: So whoever was slowest took one for the team. :laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I got plenty of Switchings when I was a Kid. I hated the cut your own switch thing we sometimes had to do. If the switch broke to soon we had to get another one!

NateR
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
My brother and I were spanked when we were kids and we always understood that we deserved it and my dad always made sure to explain what we had done wrong before the spanking (I think it helped him to keep from losing his temper - which he did occasionally, but mostly because of my brother's smart mouth :laugh: ).

He actually kept a wooden rod right next to the front door in plain sight and he would use that to spank us with. Whenever we thought about doing something wrong, it was always there as a constant reminder of the consequences.

TexasRN
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
My mom used a flyswatter on our ankles. We knew we were in big trouble if she told us to sit down and roll up our pants legs. She was a teacher and knew that the flyswatter would hurt like a son of a gun but not leave any marks. She didn't want the other teachers thinking she was abusing us when we deserved a spanking. I remember only 2 spankings as a kid and I deserved it both times. :laugh:

I spanked my kids when they were younger if they truly needed it but I used my bare hand on their bottoms. Now that they are older, they get things taken away and that hurts them way more than a spank. I have also been known to make them write a letter of apology to whomever they wronged and do that person's chores as reparation. They also hate that more than spanking. :laugh:

~Amy

TENNESSEAN
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
i got them oh boy did i get them.

my dad could bust a 2x4 with his finger thump. i sat in front of him at church with my cousins. if we talked or made the wrong move POW to the back of the ear. one time it was so loud the preacher stopped the service and called my dad out. told the congregation that everyone should follow his example and discipline their kids. teach them to respect the service.:ashamed:

one time i was walking out the door. he ask me to do something and i gave him the old WHATEVER with a good eye-roll. BADMOVE BAM! size 13 rocky to the back of the head.

my dad never did anything when he was mad and i was never abused. just taught right from wrong and respect. i never got a whipping for anything i didn't know better than to do in the first place.

my daughter is a bit of a class clown. i had to meet with her teacher. i told the teacher to paddle her and she would straighten up. they cant paddle any more. what a shame, but they have another use for the old wood paddle.

its called sanding wood. if a kid goes to the principal's office they have to write their name with a sharpie on the old paddle and then sand it off with fine grit sandpaper:laugh: when they leave the office their to tired to act up any more. brilliant:laugh:

KevinD
03-25-2010, 03:25 PM
My mom used the hot wheels tracks. It delivered a better sting on the butt and she didn't have to break her hand off in the process. My dad didn't need that. The belt worked just fine for him.

Hot wheels track? That's a new one to me. Sounds like your parents were opportunistic discipliners. Just use whatever's nearby. haha

Silverback
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
My mom used the hot wheels tracks. It delivered a better sting on the butt and she didn't have to break her hand off in the process. My dad didn't need that. The belt worked just fine for him.

Hot wheel tracks, thanks for reminding me, I remember I shot my fat cousin,(yes everybody has one) in the neck with a BB gun, and my Dad didnt like him anyway, so he takes me and my Brother in a bedroom and he tells us, now everytime I hit this bed with the belt you guys scream like I am killing you, so we made it sound good so my cousin's parents thought we got beat for doing it. My Dad was my Hero!!!!:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

CAVEMAN
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I got spankings, slaps on the hands, pinches, THE LOOK!:laugh:

My dad would sometimes pick me up by the back of my hair and let me dangle for a few seconds. That would always hurt and get my attention real quick.

The rod was not spared in my house and I'm thankful for it!

Twinsmama
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I was spanked (never w/ anything but a hand) and my kids are spanked (also never w/ anything but a hand). My kids are 5 but act respectful. I hope it continues....not sure what I'll do when they get older. At least these days there are a lot of things to take from them...computers, phones, wii, 4 wheelers....(my kids of course don't have most of these yet)

TENNESSEAN
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Hot wheel tracks, thanks for reminding me, I remember I shot my fat cousin,(yes everybody has one) in the neck with a BB gun, and my Dad didnt like him anyway, so he takes me and my Brother in a bedroom and he tells us, now everytime I hit this bed with the belt you guys scream like I am killing you, so we made it sound good so my cousin's parents thought we got beat for doing it. My Dad was my Hero!!!!:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

i had a principal do that with me one time. i was in elementary school and there was a bully in my class. i was playing kick ball he was playing dodge ball. i was on my base and he hit me in the head with a dodge ball. i told him twice not to do it again. well he was 6'3" 200lb in elementary school so he got away with a lot. the third time i walked up punched him in the nose when he fell i was right on top of him. i went to the principals office and the principal smacked the desk with the paddle and told me to act real upset when i left. he didn't want the other boys mom showing up asking why i didn't get punishment. the plan went off with out a hitch.

MattHughesRocks
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't even remember...what does that tell ya? :blink:

timmyja
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
My mom was more of the corporal punisher, somebody mentioned a hot wheels track and I definitely have my own experience with that. LOL My dad would administer a spanking (hand only)only after a well thought out lecture, and in time I grew to hate the lectures more than the spankings. Hindsight 20/20, I deserved them all, as I was always in trouble as a kid. If anything they definitely taught me respect for my elders and that there were consequences for my actions. MUCH more effective than the current timeout system that most parents seem to use today.

Mac
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I was Spanked lol , and i think im a better person because of it . If i did something dumb then i was gonna get punished. kept me out of alot of trouble in my later years and i thank my parents for it.

I actually look back and laugh about some of the times i was spanked.

Once me and my brother were tormenting our sisters inthe next room . We were roughhousing and wouldnt go to bed . Laughing and having a grand ole time. So after my mom yelled up the stairs at us for the 30 bajillionth time she said " Thats enough come down stairs" We both grabbed the table and were ready for our punishment . So mom grabs the fly swatter and gives my brother a couple smacks on the hind end . His responce was to giggle. Which made me giggle . So mom spanked my hind end to which i busted out laughing because it didnt hurt. So theres my mom swatting my and my brother with a fly swatter using the big plastic swatter part , and me and him are laughing so hard we were almost in tears .

So She then sat us down at the table and made us write sentances , that sucked worse than the spanking lol.

And then the other funny one was again , same thing , rough housing and picking on our sisters. So By this time mom gave up spanking us and gave the duty to my dad. Now my dad liked to watch the news , stretched out on the floor with his big pillow , very rarely sat in a chair. And when he gave us our spankins he wouldnt even get up , we were suppose to lay over his hip and get our whoopin . Well me and Mikey had it all planned out . We would take our sisters little metal cake pans and put them in our pants over our butts,, this would get ole Dad we thought. So we stuff the cake pans down the back of our jeans and my brother is first up . Dad swatted him once , then looked at us , started laughing as we did and sent us back upstairs :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

My son Boone has had his share of spankins , but you know what . He hasnt had a spankin in probably 4 years, There is no need to , He knows how to act and not to do that stuff that causes spankins. I took him to an over night birthday party a month ago and when i went and picked him up , his friends parents met me at the door and said out of the 12 boys that were there , They liked having Boone there the most because he was the most well behaved kid they had ever met.

Mac
03-25-2010, 05:25 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My dad did almost the same thing with me and one of my cousins .

I cracked him several good wallops with one of those plastic bowling pins and my dad caught me .

Pretty much the same thing you described followed ha ha ha/

timmyja
03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
So She then sat us down at the table and made us write sentances , that sucked worse than the spanking lol.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Those started around when I was twelve, my dad stole the idea from my sixth grade teacher. I even tried to reason with him that I would much rather take a whoopin' then spend hours scribbling sentences. One time he made this long drawn out sentence, and I had to write double because I told him it was a run-on. Worst punishment ever.

flo
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
If she was on the phone and we were making too much noise and she had to tell us to be quite more than twice, she would tell her friend in Italian "hold on a minute". When we heard that we knew what that meant and we would all scatter in different directions figuring she couldn't catch all of us. :laugh: So whoever was slowest took one for the team. :laugh:

LOL, we were the same, if I could run by dad quick enough he couldn't manage to swat me. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
i had a principal do that with me one time. i was in elementary school and there was a bully in my class. i was playing kick ball he was playing dodge ball. i was on my base and he hit me in the head with a dodge ball. i told him twice not to do it again. well he was 6'3" 200lb in elementary school so he got away with a lot. the third time i walked up punched him in the nose when he fell i was right on top of him. i went to the principals office and the principal smacked the desk with the paddle and told me to act real upset when i left. he didn't want the other boys mom showing up asking why i didn't get punishment. the plan went off with out a hitch.

Awesome!

bradwright
03-26-2010, 12:58 AM
i went through a lot of beatings at the hands of my alcoholic Father....hard to think back on it even now.

Anyway i decided that i would never lay a hand on my Son and i never have.
i always took the time to sit him down and discuss his behavior and explain in detail why he could or could not do certain things.
after while he knew if he caused problems he would have to sit and listen to his Dad for an hour or so and that seemed to be enough of a deterrent because the older he got the better he was.

and now that he is 20 years old he comes to chat with me about things on a regular basis....i must have done something right.:)

TexasRN
03-26-2010, 01:09 AM
i went through a lot of beatings at the hands of my alcoholic Father....hard to think back on it even now.

i always took the time to sit him down and discuss his behavior and explain in detail why he could or could not do certain things.
after while he knew if he caused problems he would have to sit and listen to his Dad for an hour or so and that seemed to be enough of a deterrent because the older he got the better he was.

and now that he is 20 years old he comes to chat with me about things on a regular basis....i must have done something right.:)

I think that's awesome. I bet he's a great kid. :)

My kids wouldn't sit down long enough for a long lecture from me so I beat them....:laugh: J/K

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
03-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Go Amy! :laugh:

My kids wouldn't sit down long enough for a long lecture from me so I beat them....:laugh: J/K

~Amy

surveyorshawn
03-26-2010, 01:39 AM
My mom didn't give me many spankings, by my Grandaddy did, mostly with the flyswatter or a keen switch. He was like a father to me, as my parents were divorced, and we lived with my mom's parents in Mississippi. I remember getting a major switching for playing bulldozer with the garden hoe in his pea patch one year. I haven't had to spank my kids much. When I have spanked the girls, I hug them afterward and talk to them about what they did. I always stay calm, which for some reason seems to make it worse on them. Abigail (now 13) said "Daddy, I wish you wouldn't be so calm when you spank me!" The worst spanking she ever got was when she was 4 or 5 and knocked her grandmother's glass eye out on purpose and laughed about it, then lied about it when I got home. She still remembers that one, lol. I have a system, and always have had it, where I start counting. If I get to three, the kid gets a spanking. After the got it figured out, I rarely got past one. When Abigail got about 6, I lowered the number, and if I got past "the look", she got a spanking. I have only had to spank her 4 or 5 times since then. Everywhere she goes, people always remark about what a well-behaved child she is.

rockdawg21
03-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Did anybody ever play GTA III and listen to the "Chatterbox" radio station? This question reminds me of the this part of the show:

Caller: "I wanted to talk about spanking!"
Lazlow: "Oh God...not another one...!"
Caller: "I say spanking kids is the only way to teach them right from wrong."
Lazlow: "So you think that teaching kids from an early age that violence is the solution to problems will make them valuable members of our society."
Caller: "Exactly! I knew you'd understand Lazlow! My daddy used to whoop the tar out of me. He once hit me so hard my spleen fell out of my ear. Didn't do me no harm. Look at me now, I'm the best pest-control guy in east Portland. I've killed more rats, roaches and vermin that you can imagine, and I love it. This is such a great country, I wouldn't be where I am today if my daddy hadn't beat me senseless."
:laugh:

internationalharvester
03-26-2010, 03:23 AM
My son Boone has had his share of spankins , but you know what . He hasnt had a spankin in probably 4 years, There is no need to , He knows how to act and not to do that stuff that causes spankins. I took him to an over night birthday party a month ago and when i went and picked him up , his friends parents met me at the door and said out of the 12 boys that were there , They liked having Boone there the most because he was the most well behaved kid they had ever met.

Mac man he is a good kid, when I was a senior Boone was in kindergarten and one of my classes helped them write letters to Santa. I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as when I had him sittin next to me telling me what to type out on the computer, then I misspelled something and he called me on it (simple typo on a real simple word but I missed it and he didn't lol) but it caught me so off guard because he was so totally polite about it haha

mscomc
03-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Did anybody ever play GTA III and listen to the "Chatterbox" radio station? This question reminds me of the this part of the show:

Caller: "I wanted to talk about spanking!"
Lazlow: "Oh God...not another one...!"
Caller: "I say spanking kids is the only way to teach them right from wrong."
Lazlow: "So you think that teaching kids from an early age that violence is the solution to problems will make them valuable members of our society."
Caller: "Exactly! I knew you'd understand Lazlow! My daddy used to whoop the tar out of me. He once hit me so hard my spleen fell out of my ear. Didn't do me no harm. Look at me now, I'm the best pest-control guy in east Portland. I've killed more rats, roaches and vermin that you can imagine, and I love it. This is such a great country, I wouldn't be where I am today if my daddy hadn't beat me senseless."
:laugh:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH lol. Man I use to play GTA III for days on end. lol.

flo
03-26-2010, 07:08 AM

That's just awful what happened when you were a kid, brad. Well, you stopped the cycle and now you're reaping the benefits of that with your son.

rockdawg21
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH lol. Man I use to play GTA III for days on end. lol.
Still my all-time favorite game. I'm going through it again, but this time, I'm going to hit the 100% mark. :wink:

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Heck to the yeah I was hit as a kid!! My momma is German and she's mean!! lol.. I rebelled though I used to tell her I liked how it felt.. I know im a sick-o.
I do spank my children.. Im old fashioned like that.. I don't believe in the Barnes n Noble parenting.. If they get outta line I give em' a tune-up!

donaldbreland
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
First off I just wanna say Miss Foxy is Hot. Second thing I wanna say is I believe in whippin a kid. I was whooped and I turned out half decent. I have two kids who don't get put in time outs. Guess what though. They won't be the ones killing anybody or stealing others stuff either. with the Glory of God and being a strict parent they will be just fine.

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
First off I just wanna say Miss Foxy is Hot. Second thing I wanna say is I believe in whippin a kid. I was whooped and I turned out half decent. I have two kids who don't get put in time outs. Guess what though. They won't be the ones killing anybody or stealing others stuff either. with the Glory of God and being a strict parent they will be just fine.

:wink:

donaldbreland
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
please don't take offence to that either. have to be one of Matt-hughes forums finest.

Miss Foxy
03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
please don't take offence to that either. have to be one of Matt-hughes forums finest.

Oh goodness I would not take offense to that!! Shoot that made my day!! :)

BamaGrits84
03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I got spanked as a kid as did my 3 other siblings. My mom & dad found making us pick out our own switch to be especially effective. If we picked a small one then they got to pick - we didn't ever want them to pick. I've got two kids now and yes the get spanked too. With a ping pong paddle by me or by hand if there dad does it. I'm not hurting my hand to spank them. I don't however spank them over everything. The biggest thing is back talking, getting in trouble in school, or for repeat offenses.

In case no one else has posted this:
Proverbs 23:13-14:
13 Donít fail to discipline your children.
They wonít die if you spank them.
14 Physical discipline
may well save them from death.

suntereo
03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
not often enough - my parents were inconsistent in there discipline

Tyburn
03-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Just curious as to your upbringing and if you treat your kids the same way.

I'm not talking about child abuse by the way, I simply mean if you were acting like a brat how would your parents punish/discipline you?

Don't you find kids are being coddled in this generation? I saw a little kid telling his Mother to shutup in the Mall today and I was disgusted at how any parent would let their child speak to them like that.

Not much...once or twice...Usually spanked with a slipper :laugh:

then my parents discovered starving me worked better. They would confine me to my room and I would go without a meal or something :sad:

Robertboxerboy
03-27-2010, 01:30 AM
I got spanked a couple times. My oldest sister and I didnt get along, because we have the same attitude haha. One time we got in a big argument and me being like 6 i hauled off and punched her in the face because she pushed me, she got on spank with a pattle. I got two, one for getting in a fight and one for hitting a girl. thats the only one that vividly sticks out but I know there was more than one. But you had to do something pretty bad to get spanked as a child in my parents household.