PDA

View Full Version : New Overtime Format for NFL Playoff games

J.B.
03-24-2010, 04:14 AM
It was voted on today, and starting next season the NFL will implement new rules during overtime games that occur in the playoffs. Regular season games will remain the same.

The new rules will work like this...

If the team who wins the coin-toss before overtime scores a field-goal, then the opposing team will get the ball back. However, if either team scores a touchdown at any time, they will win the game. If both teams score field goals, then it will go to an actual "sudden death" where the next team to score will win.

Sounds fine to me, but why not do this for all the games?

matthughesfan21
03-24-2010, 05:33 AM
It was voted on today, and starting next season the NFL will implement new rules during overtime games that occur in the playoffs. Regular season games will remain the same.

If the team who wins the coin-toss before overtime scores a field-goal, then the opposing team will get the ball back. However, if either team scores a touchdown at any time, they will win the game. If both teams score field goals, then it will go to an actual "sudden death" where the next team to score will win.

Sounds fine to me, but why not do this for all the games?the owners have to vote on implementing it for the regular season...This is a start though, better than the current system...But IMO, the way OT should work is just put a certain amount of time on the clock, and let them play it out

J.B.
03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
I agree they need to do it during the regular season too.

The league's reasoning for only doing it during the playoffs is kind of silly. They said that if a team looses during the season, there are still 15 other games to make up for it, but what if the game you lose in overtime during the season costs you a trip to the playoffs?

Chuck
03-24-2010, 11:44 AM
It's like anything else.. they'll test it during the playoffs and if they like it we'll have it season long in the next year or so.

My guess anyway. :wink:

rearnakedchoke
03-24-2010, 01:06 PM
what happens if there is a safety?

J.B.
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM

A great question, and to my understanding, a safety would result in victory for the team who scored it.

matthughesfan21
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM
the defense gets 2 points, so there is really no point in giving them a chance at offense also..I would assume game over at that point

billwilliams70
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
the owners have to vote on implementing it for the regular season...This is a start though, better than the current system...But IMO, the way OT should work is just put a certain amount of time on the clock, and let them play it out
I agree.

But, this could be a step in the right direction as far as OT games go.

Later.

logrus
03-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Id rather they worked on the phantom calls, and deciding that the playoffs is the time to either call a penalty or forget it even exists.

I am not a fan for the new change at all.

Max
03-24-2010, 05:24 PM
But IMO, the way OT should work is just put a certain amount of time on the clock, and let them play it out

I think this is the best idea.

Chuck
03-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I think this is the best idea.

I disagree. The clock becomes the second opponent for the defense in this case. Depending on how much time they allow a team that receives the ball and has a good running game could potentially win the game without the other team ever getting the ball.

I like the college/NFL playoff system. Give the offense and defense on both teams a chance to take the field and go from there.

My nickles worth anyway. :D

J.B.
03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Id rather they worked on the phantom calls, and deciding that the playoffs is the time to either call a penalty or forget it even exists.

I am not a fan for the new change at all.

Ahhh, Packers fans...:laugh:

Seriously though, short of going to replay to review every single play, you can never really fix that problem. There will always be a calls that people feel are missed or that should not have been called.

Since 1994, the win percentage of teams who won the overtime coin toss has gone up like 10%, when from 74-94 it was right at about 50% each. Also, the amount of overtime games has significantly increased, as has the accuracy of kickers. So, naturally, something needed to be adjusted in the interest of fairness. I think this is a good start, and it's something they should add to regular season as well.

J.B.
03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I disagree. The clock becomes the second opponent for the defense in this case. Depending on how much time they allow a team that receives the ball and has a good running game could potentially win the game without the other team ever getting the ball.

I like the college/NFL playoff system. Give the offense and defense on both teams a chance to take the field and go from there.

My nickles worth anyway. :D

Great point Chuck.

I don't think that giving a whole extra quarter of play is the right answer either. The idea of a sudden death overtime is something separates Football and Hockey from the other major sports here in America, and I think that should remain intact. However, I think we all can agree that the flipping of a coin is not how we want to be deciding games, which is why these new rules were imposed.

matthughesfan21
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM

My nickles worth anyway. :Dnot a whole 15 minute quarter, but also not just like 5 minutes...I nice median right in between would allow for both teams to get a crack at it and be the fairest option, but thats JMHO

logrus
03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Ahhh, Packers fans...:laugh:

Seriously though, short of going to replay to review every single play, you can never really fix that problem. There will always be a calls that people feel are missed or that should not have been called.

Since 1994, the win percentage of teams who won the overtime coin toss has gone up like 10%, when from 74-94 it was right at about 50% each. Also, the amount of overtime games has significantly increased, as has the accuracy of kickers. So, naturally, something needed to be adjusted in the interest of fairness. I think this is a good start, and it's something they should add to regular season as well.

I wasn't even referring to the Packer game this has pretty much been a staple in every playoff game, even the Packer one. Sometime its not even from game to game, its in the same quarter.

I dunno, but I don't have any place for the new system.

J.B.
03-25-2010, 01:10 AM
I wasn't even referring to the Packer game this has pretty much been a staple in every playoff game, even the Packer one. Sometime its not even from game to game, its in the same quarter.

I dunno, but I don't have any place for the new system.

:wink: :laugh:

Buzzard
04-09-2010, 05:21 AM

Sounds fine to me, but why not do this for all the games?

I hadn't heard about that. Interesting. Something needed to be done, at least this is a start and acknowledgment that is wasn't right to begin with.