PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Inauguration...............

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Unlike most of the civlised world, i dont think the sun shines from Obama's backside and there are many things i remain sceptical on.

However if he is half as good a President as he is an orator, then America is going to be ok!

I knows words and cheap and easy but his speech was amazing and even me, and i have refused to get caught up in all of this felt moved by what he was saying.

I truly hope for America he delivers on what he says and that his words of hope can be a reality and not one huge fabrication.

Oh and i loved the Reverend Lowery's little part, and that Poet should be sacked! Did anyone else think it was awful!

Llamafighter
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Unlike most of the civlised world, i dont think the sun shines from Obama's backside and there are many things i remain sceptical on.

However if he is half as good a President as he is an orator, then America is going to be ok!

I knows words and cheap and easy but his speech was amazing and even me, and i have refused to get caught up in all of this felt moved by what he was saying.

I truly hope for America he delivers on what he says and that his words of hope can be a reality and not one huge fabrication.

Oh and i loved the Reverend Lowery's little part, and that Poet should be sacked! Did anyone else think it was awful!

I thought Rev Rick Warren did a good job, as did the Benediction Minister. I really liked john Williams composition of "Simple Gifts" that is one of my favorite pieces and I thought it was great! I think had the poet let someone else read the poem it would have been more effective.
I thought the speech was good, and I'm just waiting to see what happens. I've never really watched the who ritual of Inaugaration Day, but as a history addict, I really found it interesting.
I'll admit that I got a little teary watchin Bush fly away in Marine 1.
I know a lot of peopel are skeptical, but you know what? we absolutely HAVE TO BE skeptical of our leaders.

We shall see...

Crisco
01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I got a few goose bumps listening to him here and there.

I really hope he does well.. I pray he does.

One thing I like about him is he has the ability to inspire patriotism something this country has lacked for many years.

The speech was moving.

Now Mr. President the world is watching... And if you turn out to be an actual communist I'll haunt your dreams forever.

Moose
01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I thought it was neat, and I'm glad we turned this particular page in our nation's history.

J.B.
01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Wait a minute, it is day 2 of Obama's Presidency, why do I still have to go to work? :censored:

No, seriously, Obama is not a communist, he is just a typical rockstar politician. He has already started floating to the center in some respects, and I think that we will find he does not make good on ALL his promises simply because many of them are unrealistic and not in tune with the American people. I think that some of the far left-wing ideologues in this country ARE communists, but Obama does not seem to me like he wants a full blown communist state, but only time will tell us how he chooses to lead our nation.

Lots of things get said during election years, but I think once he starts getting in the thick of things he will see that there are certain things he cannot CHANGE. I also think we will start to see more criticism of him, even from the left wing zealots.

Constant CHANGE is the one the thing that always remains the same. It will be interesting to see how much he actually "changes" this country.

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
As a Canadian, I am very proud of you my American friends. Finally, you have elected someone of merit who can lead your great nation into the success that it deserves. For too long you have been lead by sub-par leaders with only themselves as their agenda. You now have a selfless leader who can bring his great values to the Capitol of your Nation. These next Eight Years under the watch of the Great Barack Obama, your country will flourish and be an example to the rest of the world how a country in the free-world should be run.

God Bless America

J.B.
01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
As a Canadian, I am very proud of you my American friends. Finally, you have elected someone of merit who can lead your great nation into the success that it deserves. For too long you have been lead by sub-par leaders with only themselves as their agenda. You now have a selfless leader who can bring his great values to the Capitol of your Nation. These next Eight Years under the watch of the Great Barack Obama, your country will flourish and be an example to the rest of the world how a country in the free-world should be run.

God Bless America

:laugh:

Why does he have so much merit? This is DAY 2! :mellow:

Also, presidents only serve 4 years, he will only be serving 8 years IF he gets re-elected. NOBODY SHOULD BE SUGGESTING HIS RE-ELECTION ON THE SECOND DAY IN OFFICE.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Do you know he had to do his vows again because the MC botched the wording? He had to be sworne in again, today :scared0015:

As for his speech...well..we know its hard times, what I want to know is HOW he plans on "Rebuilding America" I dont get to het up over speeches...I mean his Administration REPLACES an Administration which went by the name of "The New America For The Twenty First Century" and that was less then a decade ago.

I like the words...but I shall like the action better...and its just to early to see what he's going to do...when they tell me Obama has done something, rather then Obama has said something...I'll start to pat attention

Little word on the name Barack...Did you know thats a Biblical name? did you also know it has Jewish roots? Spelt slightly differently...as in spelt like the phonetics of the word...see Europeans would be tempted to say Ba-Rack...
but if you listen to the Americans they almost say B'Rack. Well one of the Early Judges of Israel was called Deborah...she was the first to bring the THREE roles of the Judge together...firstly Military prowess, Secondly Political Prowess, and thirdly, that of the Spiritual Advisor.

When she came up against the resistance of a superior army she formed a coalition with a guy called Barak. Together they did well, but originially Barak told her that he would not fight this army unless she and her forces would join with his, even then they were vastly outweighed. I just thought that was interesting...thought I'd share :)

NateR
01-22-2009, 08:48 PM

God Bless America

No offense, but this exactly the kind of crap that really annoys me about the Obama-worshippers.

To say that Obama is a great leader, when he hasn't actually had a chance to lead yet, is silly and maybe even a little delusional.

Three years from now, when the next election starts, we'll have a better idea if he is a successful leader or not. As for now, the jury is still out.

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
:laugh:

Why does he have so much merit? This is DAY 2! :mellow:

Also, presidents only serve 4 years, he will only be serving 8 years IF he gets re-elected. NOBODY SHOULD BE SUGGESTING HIS RE-ELECTION ON THE SECOND DAY IN OFFICE.

Want to sig bet he gets a second term?

J.B.
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Want to sig bet he gets a second term?

You missed the point.

What has Obama done on this THE SECOND DAY OF HIS PRESIDENCY to warrant anybody calling for a second term? Don't be so dense, Obama is just another politician, being black and making promises does not give him merit. Lets wait until he actually does something, mmmkay??

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Like i say he hasn't done anything yet.........................

But it was a fine speech and did get my attention, in fact the speech was brilliant. I see now why people will follow him but as said i await his actions.

It is wrong in so many ways but your new leader now means the world is blinded in love about it. Wrongly! But it presents a fine opportunity to sort out a lot things, this new found optimism and hope has come in the wrong way but its here and so i hope it is harnessed correctly.

Ha ha, Karl Marx himself could be voted president and America would never become Communist, so Obama will never acheive it either and i dont think he wants to!

I really liked it when he spoke about American values and what you stand upon and through that get out of this mess. Well i mean he has a fine speech writer!

The bit about waiting in the cold and winter when all survives is hope, it was good, just a shame it was about beating the hell out of the Brits!!!!!

But anyway, all the best!

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
My worry is he's going to be indanger because of his colour aswell as loved for it. I hope he gets the opportunity to run for a second office...cant tell you how many people at work think...well that someone will try to kill him in the next four years.:sad:

matthughesfan21
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
i didn't watch much of it, not interesting to me...but what the hell was on aretha's head?:blink:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
i didn't watch much of it, not interesting to me...but what the hell was on aretha's head?:blink:
:laugh: Her singing always cracks me up

Llamafighter
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
No offense, but this exactly the kind of crap that really annoys me about the Obama-worshippers.

To say that Obama is a great leader, when he hasn't actually had a chance to lead yet, is silly and maybe even a little delusional.

Three years from now, when the next election starts, we'll have a better idea if he is a successful leader or not. As for now, the jury is still out.

:sign0011:

:scared0015: I agree...

matthughesfan21
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
:laugh: Her singing always cracks me upto be honest, i didn't much like that rendition of o country tis of thee either

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
to be honest, i didn't much like that rendition of o country tis of thee either
:unsure-1: was that what it was...I dont really know very many of the American Nationalistic Songs...I know the GOD Bless America one, and the America, America, one...and thats about it

ohh...I know the National Anthem....and I have heard of the USMC song :laugh:

but other then that...but she makes me laugh whatever she sings...unfortunatley its hard to perform and sound good live and OUTSIDE...that might be why she sounded so bad...either that or it really just wasnt poor Barack Obamas day :sad:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 11:26 PM
All i know is, your anthems are significantly better than Englands God Save the Queen, it is a drab national anthem, how i long to sing Rule Brittania, or Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem!

That would be something!

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
All i know is, your anthems are significantly better than Englands God Save the Queen, it is a drab national anthem, how i long to sing Rule Brittania, or Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem!

That would be something!
:) all those are sung in the right circles.

...You cant beat Land of Hope and Glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JJ4l2u5uI (thats a gift for you Jon) :w00t:

J.B.
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
but other then that...but she makes me laugh whatever she sings...unfortunatley its hard to perform and sound good live and OUTSIDE...that might be why she sounded so bad...either that or it really just wasnt poor Barack Obamas day :sad:

Aretha Franklin is OLD man, but she is an awesome singer. She is one of the greatest singers in American history.

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
:) all those are sung in the right circles.

...You cant beat Land of Hope and Glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JJ4l2u5uI (thats a gift for you Jon) :w00t:

Ha ha i just went and played Jerusalem!

Its not that i dont support the Royals, i do but its just its such an uninspring antional anthem. Like at a fierce sporting event, it just does nothing. Which really bothers me!

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Ha ha i just went and played Jerusalem!

Its not that i dont support the Royals, i do but its just its such an uninspring antional anthem. Like at a fierce sporting event, it just does nothing. Which really bothers me!
:laugh: its often played tooooo sloooooooow. So it comes off sounding like a Durge...it also depends how its played. I mean when Her Majesty Elizabeth 2 came with her Entourage to Saint Paul's for important services, we would of course close with the Anthem. We'd have a set of Trumpets on the Quire Stall Balconies and they would do an Introduction, like a fanfare...and at the last note of the fanfare the Great Organ would resonate the base...and NO JOKE the whole woodwork would quake and rattle.

Its on tape on this video...dont watch the whole thing...fast forward to 6.30and just listen for the introduction and the Organ to kick in...that WAS powerful if you were standing behind the wooden pannels under the organ itself :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9IN_uYB3GA

matthughesfan21
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Aretha Franklin is OLD man, but she is an awesome singer. She is one of the greatest singers in American history.indeed she is, but for the inauguration, I don't think she could have made it to Hollywood on american idol...maybe it was the cold, but she wasn't hitting her full octave range, i was actually cringing in parts of the song

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
indeed she is, but for the inauguration, I don't think she could have made it to Hollywood on american idol...maybe it was the cold, but she wasn't hitting her full octave range, i was actually cringing in parts of the song
Have any of you ever heard the Recessional based on the US National Anthem? Its designed obviously to be played at the end of some cerimony whilst everyone is leaving...its fantastic...but in the video it doesnt really begin until 2.30 its so clever as a postlude...and its very powerful indeed..a bit anglicized perhaps...but very clever. They should play it in Saint Paul's at the American Thanksgiving Service they host :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSodpVnQHH8

J.B.
01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
indeed she is, but for the inauguration, I don't think she could have made it to Hollywood on american idol...maybe it was the cold, but she wasn't hitting her full octave range, i was actually cringing in parts of the song

Whoa whoa whoa :frantics:

Aretha Franklin is the queen of soul and highly regarded not only in all circles of music, but especially in the African-American community. I think her performance was very meaningful and she deserved to be there. You could tell just watching some of the older black people crowd how much it meant to them to see her singing at the ceremony when our first black president is being sworn into office. Even I was moved, and I personally think all the gala that surrounds the inauguration is bit excessive as it is.

That being said, so what if her skills have diminished somewhat? I certainly would not take anything away from her talent, nor would I compare her to contestants on some two-bit teeny-bopper show like American Idol. :sick:

Done ranting now :tongue0011:

Bonnie
01-23-2009, 12:55 AM

Aretha Franklin is the queen of soul and highly regarded not only in all circles of music, but especially in the African-American community. I think her performance was very meaningful and she deserved to be there. You could tell just watching some of the older black people crowd how much it meant to them to see her singing at the ceremony when our first black president is being sworn into office. Even I was moved, and I personally think all the gala that surrounds the inauguration is bit excessive as it is.

That being said, so what if her skills have diminished somewhat? I certainly would not take anything away from her talent, nor would I compare her to contestants on some two-bit teeny-bopper show like American Idol. :sick:

Done ranting now :tongue0011:

Yes, she is!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T....give it to "her"!!! :happy0159:

medic92
01-23-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd be a lot more comfortable with Obama if he had accomplished anything, and I mean ANYTHING as an Illinois senator. Other than make a few speeches and claim to be the agent of change, I haven't seen anything of merit from him. Furthermore, his claims of ending "business as usual" and "change" would be a lot more believable if he hadn't just spent the last two months building his cabinet and advisers by recycling the same people from the last twenty years who got us into this mess in the first place.

I'm willing to give him a chance, I'll support him and pray for him, but he's going to have to do a lot more than talk a good game. I only hope he will.

que
01-23-2009, 01:34 AM

God Bless America

we won't know if he will make a great president until we are able to sit down and examine his performance on the last day of his 4/8 year term. only then will we know if he was shyte or great.

but i will admit... so far he has the right ideas. the only question is, will he be able to pull it off in the end. we will see.

on a lighter note, he has given this entire country something it hasn't had for over a decade: inspiration and hope. that is something we desperately needed to be able to progress as a people. God Bless America indeed.

VCURamFan
01-23-2009, 05:17 AM
I felt bad watching/hearing Aretha sing. She just looked/sounded like a bad stereotype!

matthughesfan21
01-23-2009, 05:22 AM

Done ranting now :tongue0011:I didn't even come close to saying she didn't sing well and didn't deserve to be there, i think you misinterpreted my post...I simply said, her performance THAT DAY was rather dreadful

J.B.
01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
I didn't even come close to saying she didn't sing well and didn't deserve to be there, i think you misinterpreted my post...I simply said, her performance THAT DAY was rather dreadful

I did not think it was that bad. She just sounded old, like most singers who get old. :laugh:

I meant nothing by it, but I guess I just did not understand the American Idol comparison. :cry:

Spiritwalker
01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
One thing I like about him is he has the ability to inspire patriotism something this country has lacked for many years.

Disagree there.. No matter the leader, I will always love and stand up for my country.

Many people feel that way. Like the Bush years or not.. it's still Amercia.

Spiritwalker
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
My worry is he's going to be indanger because of his colour aswell as loved for it. I hope he gets the opportunity to run for a second office...cant tell you how many people at work think...well that someone will try to kill him in the next four years.:sad:

I would really like to think that most people are behind "There is a homie in office" crap.. but there are some I am sure that I going to leave the country.. (sorry for Canada.. and they won't go to Mexico - too many greasers).... and I am willing to be that there are a few tools.. praticing their marksmanship...

Spiritwalker
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I felt bad watching/hearing Aretha sing. She just looked/sounded like a bad stereotype!

nah.. more monolithic... :)

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Disagree there.. No matter the leader, I will always love and stand up for my country.

Many people feel that way. Like the Bush years or not.. it's still Amercia.
I aggree. Its almost like he compensates...I think that what he's done is say what other Presidents assumed the citizens already realized. :wacko:

matthughesfan21
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I did not think it was that bad. She just sounded old, like most singers who get old. :laugh:

I meant nothing by it, but I guess I just did not understand the American Idol comparison. :cry:
like you know the audition part of american idol, where the good ones get through and the slightly average ones don't...well the aretha of old would have get 4 yes and your through to hollywood...with her performance at the inauguration, i doubt she would get a single yes if her name wasn't aretha franklin

MattHughesRocks
01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
She talked about it on TV saying that because it was so cold she couldnt stay on key and it was the most embarrassing thing.She said she felt horrible and I felt sorry for her.:sad:

J.B.
01-23-2009, 11:27 PM
like you know the audition part of american idol, where the good ones get through and the slightly average ones don't...well the aretha of old would have get 4 yes and your through to hollywood...with her performance at the inauguration, i doubt she would get a single yes if her name wasn't aretha franklin

I understand what you were saying, what I did not understand is WHY you said it. I get that her performance was not "on par", but realistically, it was not THAT bad, and her name IS Aretha Franklin. Without singers like her, who basically built the foundation for what music in America is today, we would not even have shows like American Idol. That was my point.

Like I said, I meant nothing by it, I was just ranting. It's not like I am singling you out cuz your a Cubs fan :D

matthughesfan21
01-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I understand what you were saying, what I did not understand is WHY you said it. I get that her performance was not "on par", but realistically, it was not THAT bad, and her name IS Aretha Franklin. Without singers like her, who basically built the foundation for what music in America is today, we would not even have shows like American Idol. That was my point.

Like I said, I meant nothing by it, I was just ranting. It's not like I am singling you out cuz your a Cubs fan :DI understand where you are coming from, but I guess i didn't feel like ignoring a bad performance on the largest stage because of her name, I guess I didn't feel like sugarcoating it because of her name

J.B.
01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but I guess i didn't feel like ignoring a bad performance on the largest stage because of her name, I guess I didn't feel like sugarcoating it because of her name

No, you should not sugar coat your feelings, I absolutely agree with you there. I just feel that she has earned a lot of respect in her career, and the American Idol comment may have been below the belt. Even if it was non-intentional.

It's my opinion that given the fact that she is 66 years old now, and has already proven her talent over the last 40 years, she deserves a pass for a less than stellar performance. She is not some karaoke singer on a tv show, she is a living legend. Also, I think it's only fair as a performer myself to mention how difficult it is to sing in a setting of that environment and magnitude. Being outside can be an audio engineers nightmare, and cold air does not help the vocal chords. Did I mention she is 66 years old? I viewed her performance largely as symbolic, and something that just seemed like the right thing to do in relativity to the election of our first black president, and how much Aretha Franklin has meant to the black community, not as something was going to be the performance of a lifetime.

Again, I'm not trying to debate something that is a non-issue. I am just explaining my view.:wink: