PDA

View Full Version : Police shoot, kill chimp that attacked woman

Chuck
02-17-2009, 02:51 AM
(CNN) -- A woman has been hospitalized with serious injuries to her face, neck and hands after a pet chimpanzee attacked her at a friend's home in Stamford, Connecticut.

Travis is shown in 2003, when he escaped and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford, Connecticut.

1 of 2 Charla Nash, 55, had just arrived at her friend Sandra Herold's house when the chimp, named Travis, jumped on her and began biting and mauling her, according to Stamford Police Capt. Rich Conklin, who said the attack was unprovoked.

Herold had called Nash over to her house to help get Travis back inside after he used a key to free himself from the house.

After the attack, Herold was unable to pull the primate off her friend. She then called 911 before grabbing a butcher knife and stabbing the chimp, who police said was like a child to her.

Stamford police shot the chimp multiple times when he ripped off a side mirror and tried to enter a police cruiser, Conklin said. Travis returned to the house and died inside.

Conklin estimated Travis to be in his 20s, weighing close to 200 pounds.

The police captain also said this isn't the first interaction his officers have had with Travis -- the chimp escaped in 2003 and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford for a couple of hours.

In 2005, a different chimp escaped from California's Animal Haven Ranch and chewed off a man's nose and genitals.

During an interview after that attack, wildlife expert Jeff Corwin told CNN's Anderson Cooper that chimpanzees are "absolutely powerful."

"It's often said that an adult chimpanzee weighing in at 150 pounds is three to seven times stronger than a human being," Corwin said.

"The thing about chimpanzees is, we sort of look at them through our rose-colored cultural glasses of the cute little chimp in the 'Tarzan' movie. Those are very young chimps. Chimps grow up, they become very powerful. They are very complex in their behavior. They have a whole range of emotions, including violence and anger."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/16/chimp.attack/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

MattHughesRocks
02-17-2009, 02:58 AM
And this is exactly why people shouldn't have wild animal as pets. Everyone thinks their's is different and low and behold....you become lunch :scared0011:

Bonnie
02-17-2009, 03:05 AM
(CNN) -- A woman has been hospitalized with serious injuries to her face, neck and hands after a pet chimpanzee attacked her at a friend's home in Stamford, Connecticut.

Travis is shown in 2003, when he escaped and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford, Connecticut.

1 of 2 Charla Nash, 55, had just arrived at her friend Sandra Herold's house when the chimp, named Travis, jumped on her and began biting and mauling her, according to Stamford Police Capt. Rich Conklin, who said the attack was unprovoked.

Herold had called Nash over to her house to help get Travis back inside after he used a key to free himself from the house.

After the attack, Herold was unable to pull the primate off her friend. She then called 911 before grabbing a butcher knife and stabbing the chimp, who police said was like a child to her.

Stamford police shot the chimp multiple times when he ripped off a side mirror and tried to enter a police cruiser, Conklin said. Travis returned to the house and died inside.

The police captain also said this isn't the first interaction his officers have had with Travis -- the chimp escaped in 2003 and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford for a couple of hours.

In 2005, a different chimp escaped from California's Animal Haven Ranch and chewed off a man's nose and genitals.

During an interview after that attack, wildlife expert Jeff Corwin told CNN's Anderson Cooper that chimpanzees are "absolutely powerful."

"It's often said that an adult chimpanzee weighing in at 150 pounds is three to seven times stronger than a human being," Corwin said.

"The thing about chimpanzees is, we sort of look at them through our rose-colored cultural glasses of the cute little chimp in the 'Tarzan' movie. Those are very young chimps. Chimps grow up, they become very powerful. They are very complex in their behavior. They have a whole range of emotions, including violence and anger."

I don't think people will ever learn that these are "wild" animals not domesticated no matter how long you've had them (e.g., since baby...). And I'm not only referring to this chimpanzee, but the whole "wild kingdom" that people want to make into household pets.

When I was about six years old, our mom was away and had this elderly lady watching my sisters and I. Anyway, her sister called and we went over to the woman's house and her son had a chimpanzee there and it was loose. It was climbing the curtains all wild and then it scratched my twin sister. As kids we were fascinated of course, but after it went after my sister, we were scared of it. :scared0011:

rockdawg21
02-17-2009, 03:05 AM
What's even funnier is when people get a pet boa constrictor and think they can domesticate it. It's a reptile, it hasn't any chance of being domesticated.

sender
02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
yeh chimps have awesome stength! Their muscles are built totaly different than ours thats what allows them to be so damn strong. Way to dangerous to be a pet... some people are so freakin dumb.

MattHughesRocks
02-17-2009, 03:10 AM
:scared0011:

I don't think people will ever learn that these are "wild" animals not domesticated no matter how long you've had them (e.g., since baby...). And I'm not only referring to this chimpanzee, but the whole "wild kingdom" that people want to make into household pets.

When I was about six years old, our mom was away and had this elderly lady watching my sisters and I. Anyway, her sister called and we went over to the woman's house and her son had a chimpanzee there and it was loose. It was climbing the curtains all wild and then it scratched my twin sister. As kids we were fascinated of course, but after it went after my sister, we were scared of it. :scared0011:

Chuck
02-17-2009, 03:25 AM
What's even funnier is when people get a pet boa constrictor and think they can domesticate it. It's a reptile, it hasn't any chance of being domesticated.

I have a snake (Odie), have owned several and know plenty of people who also own snakes... but I've never actually met someone that tried to domesticate one. The fact that they are wild is part of the alure to most owners I know.

rockdawg21
02-17-2009, 03:38 AM
I have a snake (Odie), have owned several and know plenty of people who also own snakes... but I've never actually met someone that tried to domesticate one. The fact that they are wild is part of the alure to most owners I know.
Oh ok, well perhaps that's something I don't know. I've just seen news videos where a dog, baby, or even a small child was eaten by large snakes that were "pets". Then the owners are stupid saying things like, "Well it never did anything like that in the past!" DUH! :banghead:

VCURamFan
02-17-2009, 03:39 AM
And this is exactly why people shouldn't have wild animal as pets. Everyone thinks their's is different and low and behold....you become lunch :scared0011:Don't say that! My Fluffy loves people!!

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/d/d4/Velociraptor_assaults_Moses.png/377px-Velociraptor_assaults_Moses.png

Chuck
02-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh ok, well perhaps that's something I don't know. I've just seen news videos where a dog, baby, or even a small child was eaten by large snakes that were "pets". Then the owners are stupid saying things like, "Well it never did anything like that in the past!" DUH! :banghead:

Yeah things like that are frustrating to any snake owner. It makes us all look bad. 9/10 times it's the owners fault for being reckless while feeding or being reckless after feeding.

I will also freely admit that there are quite a few idiots out there who own snakes "cause they're frickin cool man.. rock on :headbanger: " and those folks give people like Jeff and I a bad name. Snakes aren't the typical pet of choice for the average joe...

I know Jeff's been struck a few times.... but I haven't :tongue0011:

Bonnie
02-17-2009, 03:47 AM

I think you and Odie are right where y'all need to be...in Florida. I mean, y'all do have the Everglades. That is "something" we don't have here in Texas. That's why Louisiana exists. We drew our eastern border and gave them the swamp lands. :wink:

Chuck
02-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I think you and Odie are right where y'all need to be...in Florida. I mean, y'all do have the Everglades. That is "something" we don't have here in Texas. That's why Louisiana exists. We drew our eastern border and gave them the swamp lands. :wink:

LOL... sooner or later we will meet my dear and when we do... I'll be sure to bring my snake...

And if it's somewhere close I'll bring Odie too!!! :D

Bonnie
02-17-2009, 03:57 AM
LOL... sooner or later we will meet my dear and when we do... I'll be sure to bring my snake...

And if it's somewhere close I'll bring Odie too!!! :D

You, know, that chimpanzee is looking pretty good right now for a pet...:Whistle:

Bonnie
02-17-2009, 04:09 AM
:scared0011:

<off topic>

As a funny aside, that elderly lady, who stayed with us, oh about a week or so, the whole time (aside from the monkey trip) she stayed in my mom's room praying. My mom had this wing-backed chair and she'd sit in that chair, in the dark, during the day all day with her rosary in her hands. I don't know if it was because of us kids or if she was just so devout. :unsure-1: :laugh:

billwilliams70
02-17-2009, 07:08 AM
I guess I should donate my Komodo Dragon to a zoo.

Later.

Llamafighter
02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I think being attacked by a chimp is in my top 10 ways I don't want to die.
it seems like once they get into adulthood their nartural instincts take over no matter where they are raised.
Scary stuff.
If you're going to on one put a freaking self destruct chip in it. Then the day it goes "ape****" just...beep.

Moose
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I used to own a couple Emperor Scorpions. They died after a couple of years, they really got the whole thrill to have a neat pet idea out of my head. I'll gladly stick to dogs now :)

County Mike
02-17-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.moontoadproductions.com/CHIMP_DTL.jpg

J.B.
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Did anybody see the size of the "chimp"?

That thing looked like a baby gorilla!!! :laugh:

Llamafighter
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

I always wanted a pet Wolverine. I'd put it in a blue and yellow costume and walk it around with one of those poles with the noose on the end that dog catchers use. Then I could randomly select a vet's office, and walk in.

receptionist; What the hell is that thing

Me: it's my pet wolverine, Logan

reception: OMG!!!

Me: what, do I need an appointment?

Reception: Sir, we don't treat these types of animals

Me: What kind of animals?

Receptionist: WILD animals!

Me: He's not wild, he just dresses that way!

Bonnie
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
it seems like once they get into adulthood their nartural instincts take over no matter where they are raised.
Scary stuff.
If you're going to on one put a freaking self destruct chip in it. Then the day it goes "ape****" just...beep.

Have you seen that show, "1000 Ways to Die"? :scared0011:

Primadawn
02-17-2009, 09:38 PM

:laugh: That's ALMOST sig-worthy!:laugh:

billwilliams70
02-18-2009, 03:49 AM
I did have a pirahna once. He lived a while.....I think he died from a bad batch of goldfish. I was mad about that. He lived by himself in a 55G tank. I fed him raw liver and chicken. On occasion I fed him the feeder fish.

I think I'll get another one when I get back.

Later.

Chuck
02-18-2009, 03:55 AM
I did have a pirahna once. He lived a while.....I think he died from a bad batch of goldfish. I was mad about that. He lived by himself in a 55G tank. I fed him raw liver and chicken. On occasion I fed him the feeder fish.

I think I'll get another one when I get back.

Later.

If you search Youtube you can find some crazy vids of those fishe eating live mice swimming in their cage...

It's nuts...

L8Tr

Llamafighter
02-18-2009, 05:13 AM
:laugh: That's ALMOST sig-worthy!:laugh:

LOL
It seriously freaks me out. A guy got mauled by a group of Chimps out in California and they ripped his face and his nuts and his hands off first! :blink:
any one of those things would be tragic.
Now he probably watches Project X and says "F@#% It, kills those little bastards!"

NateR
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Supposedly the chimp was in a tree and refused to come down, so the owner called her friend over to help get the monkey down.

I've also heard that when chimpanzees attack any male, the first thing they do is tear off the genitals.

Soooo, if I had a neighbor who asked me to help her get her chimp down from a tree, the only way I would help her is with a hi-powered rifle from the safety of one of my windows. Otherwise, I'd just call the police or animal control.

This chimp weighed 200 pounds and most chimpanzees have the strength of ten men. So anyone who thinks they can keep one as a household pet is really an idiot.

que
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
here's the 911 call she made while the chimp was biting her friends hands off

according to foxnews she gave the monkey xanax before the attack. what an idiot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pdvV_gT6I

Chuck
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM

That is without a doubt one of the most horrible things I've ever heard...:cry:

Llamafighter
02-19-2009, 01:34 AM
That is without a doubt one of the most horrible things I've ever heard...:cry:

I agree. I listened to it earlier today and was effed up all day!:scared0015:

NateR
02-19-2009, 02:36 AM

Anyone thinking about having a chimpanzee as a pet should be required to listen to that. Truly horrible.

MattHughesRocks
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
There was some guy from Animal Planet on the news last night. He said it's completely normal for a chimp to do this type of thing and that they usually will show there first sign of violence at about age 6. That's when they mature to where they don't do things just because you tell them to.By nature they don't want to be dominated.
They also had a couple on that had two chimps until about age 7 when one flipped out and they gave them both to a zoo.They also went on to remind people that these are wild animals and we not to be raised as pets and those people that think that if they " loved" the chimps enough that theirs will never become violent. When it's guaranteed that they will sooner or later.

Chuck
02-19-2009, 03:02 AM
You forget they are not only omnivores... but canibals as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7XuXi3mqYM

MattHughesRocks
02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Wow, that was pretty incredible. Did you see how two male chimps jumped that female and she still got away?:laugh:
And brother will you pass me that arm?:blink:

You forget they are not only omnivores... but canibals as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7XuXi3mqYM