PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods says Sorry

Tyburn
02-19-2010, 04:21 PM
:blink: well its only taken him a few months :laugh:...I wonder if he's sorry he did it, or just sorry he got caught :ninja:

Video of the event http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc02ZEPJuF8

In his long-awaited first public statement since a car accident led to revelations of his infidelities, Tiger Woods offered a series of apologies to his friends and family, while defending his wife, Elin, against accusations that she caused the accident by attacking him.

But Woods did not say when he will play golf again, other than to mention at the end of the statement that it could be this year.

"Every one of you has good reason to be critical of me," Woods said to the gathering of his personal friends -- but few reporters -- in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. "I want to say to each of you, simply and directly, I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in. I know people want to find out how I could be so selfish and so foolish. People want to know how I could have done these things to my wife, Elin, and to my children. And while I have always tried to be a private person, there are some things I want to say.

"Elin and I have started the process of discussing the damage caused by my behavior. As Elin pointed out to me, my real apology to her will not come in the form of words. It will come from my behavior over time. We have a lot to discuss. However, what we say to each other will remain between the two of us."

Woods mentioned his educational foundation and suggested that it is his highest priority other than his family, although he may have come across as too corporate when he directed part of his apology to the "staff, board of directors and sponsors."

Woods gave few details about the Thanksgiving weekend car crash on his property, but he did insist that it was not caused by his wife abusing him.

"Elin never hit me that night or any night," Woods said. "There has never been an incident of domestic violence in our marriage. Ever."

Ultimately, Woods said, he takes full responsibility for what he did.

"I was unfaithful," Woods said. "I had affairs. I cheated. What I did was not acceptable, and I am the only person to blame."

ShareWoods decried the media attention that has been paid to him in the last three months, and he specifically noted a story linking him to a doctor who has been accused of distributing performance-enhancing drugs.

"Some people have made up things that never happened and said I used performance-enhancing drugs. This is completely and utterly false," Woods said.

Woods asked the media to leave his family alone, and claimed that his young daughter had been followed to nursery school, and he said of the media, "They staked out my wife and they pursued my mom."

Woods also mentioned his religious beliefs, saying, "I was raised a Buddhist and I actively practiced my faith in childhood before I drifted away in recent years."

Although he didn't specifically address reports that he has been living in a sexual addiction rehabilitation clinic, Woods said he has "more treatment and more therapy" ahead.

Woods, who hugged his mother at the end of his statement, said he will play golf again, but he's not sure when.

"I do plan to return to golf one day. I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year."

For a statement from Woods on the course, the golf world will have to wait.

J.B.
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
In other sports news, Brett Favre is still not officially retired.

Seriously though, I'm so burnt out on the Woods subject it's ridiculous. Until he comes back to Golf and starts winning, nobody is going to focus on anything but all this drama.

Tyburn
02-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Seriously though, I'm so burnt out on the Woods subject it's ridiculous. Until he comes back to Golf and starts winning, nobody is going to focus on anything but all this drama.

:unsure-1: ohh...sorry...I thought you might want to know :unsure-1:

J.B.
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
:unsure-1: ohh...sorry...I thought you might want to know :unsure-1:

:laugh:

Sorry brother, I didn't mean it in a bad way towards you or anything, I was just being sarcastic. It's just literally ALL over every sports media outlet here in America, so it's like everywhere you turn it's "Tiger Watch 2010", lol

Whats even worse is that you can almost guarantee that it's not over yet. More girls will come crawling out of the woodwork and claim they had an affair with Tiger, and the press will continue to cover it because our culture is fascinated with these kinds of scandals.

Tyburn
02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
:) we dont have it so much over here...we have a guy called John Terry...who was Captain of the England Football team...until he got found out for cheating on his Wife by going off with the girlfriend of a team mate :laugh:

J.B.
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
:) we dont have it so much over here...we have a guy called John Terry...who was Captain of the England Football team...until he got found out for cheating on his Wife by going off with the girlfriend of a team mate :laugh:

Yeah, Tiger's head count is up to like 20 or 30 different women right now :laugh:

matthughesfan21
02-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Seriously though, I'm so burnt out on the Woods subject it's ridiculous. Until he comes back to Golf and starts winning, nobody is going to focus on anything but all this drama.i'm tired of the Woods talk but I'm sick to my stomach of Brett Favre

J.B.
02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
i'm tired of the Woods talk but I'm sick to my stomach of Brett Favre

That was the point :laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Am I the only one that could care less?

Tyburn
02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

you cared enough to post a reply, evidently :laugh:

J.B.
02-19-2010, 08:13 PM

The fact is, people do care, and as long they do, the media will cover it.

County Mike
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
If you could care less, then you must care a little.

As apposed to someone who "couldn't" care less. :)

I really think it's between him and his family. I only care about watching him golf. The rest of life is none of my business.

Miss Foxy
02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
If you could care less, then you must care a little.

As apposed to someone who "couldn't" care less. :)

I really think it's between him and his family. I only care about watching him golf. The rest of life is none of my business.
+1!!

Bonnie
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I just caught a clip of it on tv. He seemed totally without emotion, not that I expected him to cry or anything. :wink:

He makes me sick and all those putanas he slept with coming out of the woodwork make me sick! If that don't beat all....they're upset at the married man they were sleeping with for cheating on them. :blink: They loved him....wah wah wah! PUHLEEEZE!!! :rolleyes:

Elin is right, it's going to take more than words and it's going to take a long long time for her to trust him again, IF ever. I'm glad she wasn't up there "standing by his side". I feel for her and his mom.

Stupid man!

J.B.
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM

I agree with you Mike, but I will ask you, and the rest of the readers, this question...

Do you think Tiger owed it to his fans, sponsors, and his wife to give this public apology?

Bonnie
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM

I totally agree with you.

I restrained myself to just a few comments in my previous post. :laugh:

Bonnie
02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree with you Mike, but I will ask you, and the rest of the readers, this question...

Do you think Tiger owed it to his fans, sponsors, and his wife to give this public apology?

I think his sponsors probably wanted him to come out and say something (a lot sooner than he has), but I don't think he owes his "fans" any apology. That belongs to his wife and family and should be a private matter. IMO

I couldn't fault Elin if she got a little something out of him being forced to go on tv and publicly admit what a louse he is.

J.B.
02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I think his sponsors probably wanted him to come out and say something (a lot sooner than he has), but I don't think he owes his "fans" any apology. That belongs to his wife and family and should be a private matter. IMO

I agree that he waited too long to do this. The longer a person in the public-eye waits to address topics like this, the worse it gets. This is something Tiger should have done 2 months ago.

I gave it some good thought, and I do believe that he owed this to everyone. His fans are now put in a bad position against his detractors, his sponsors have paid him hundreds of millions of dollars, and his wife has had to deal with every TMZ-wannabe in the world since the curtain dropped on this circus.

I am not saying I think all the juicy details need to be dragged through the press, but given the magnitude of who Tiger is, and how many women we are talking about, I do think this was in order.

Bonnie
02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I agree that he waited too long to do this. The longer a person in the public-eye waits to address topics like this, the worse it gets. This is something Tiger should have done 2 months ago.

I gave it some good thought, and I do believe that he owed this to everyone. His fans are now put in a bad position against his detractors, his sponsors have paid him hundreds of millions of dollars, and his wife has had to deal with every TMZ-wannabe in the world since the curtain dropped on this circus.

I am not saying I think all the juicy details need to be dragged through the press, but given the magnitude of who Tiger is, and how many women we are talking about, I do think this was in order.

Well, I was saying what I personally think. As a practical matter regarding his image and his sponsors, yeah, I agree he should have come out sooner and made a "statement". But, I don't need 24/7 of every move he's making or whether he's wearing his wedding ring or out jogging dressed head to toe in his sponsor, Nike.

The rest is their private business. I just really feel for the wives who are forced to endure the humiliating public fallout, and indignity of either standing next to the jerks during their "I'm sorry..." speech, or being publicly hounded, like Elin, due to no fault of their own.

J.B.
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, I was saying what I personally think. As a practical matter regarding his image and his sponsors, yeah, I agree he should have come out sooner and made a "statement". But, I don't need 24/7 of every move he's making or whether he's wearing his wedding ring or out jogging dressed head to toe in his sponsor, Nike.

The rest is their private business. I just really feel for the wives who are forced to endure the humiliating public fallout, and indignity of either standing next to the jerks during their "I'm sorry..." speech, or being publicly hounded, like Elin, due to no fault of their own.

I don't disagree with a single thing you said here Bonnie.

I guess my point is just that given who he is, and what has happened, he did kinda owe it to everybody to at least address the media. Now, I'm not saying that what he said fixed anything, I'm just saying he needed to do it.

flo
02-20-2010, 04:49 AM

Yeah, I think you nailed it. I did watch the whole thing (I'm crate-training our new puppy so I'm getting in lots of TV time:) ) and it made me a little uncomfortable. It just went on far too long.

What I found to be even worse was the "press conference" with one of his bimbos immediately after. Apparently, she is a former pr0n star and she had the ambulance-chaser-to-the-stars (Gloria Allred) right by her side...looking ever so concerned about her "client". Ka-ching!!

Like JB said, the sooner he gets back to golf, the better for everyone. I think his advisors (or whoever counseled him to make this statement) missed the mark.

I'm not interested in his personal life and don't care to hear any of the details. Hopefully, no more will be forthcoming.

:cool:

flo
02-20-2010, 04:53 AM
He makes me sick and all those putanas he slept with coming out of the woodwork make me sick!

LOL! I am stealing that, it's so much better than ho, etc.

I feel for Elin and his mom too, Bonnie. His mom looked so sad and embarrassed.

J.B.
02-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Two other observations from Tiger's press conference...

1. He did not wear a single sponsor. Not that I expected him to, but I do think it should be noted.

2. One of the sponsors that dropped Tiger, "Accenture", is the sponsor of the current PGA tour match, and Tiger totally took the momentum away from their ratings today by airing his press conference at the same time. - translated as....PWNED :)

County Mike
02-20-2010, 11:53 AM

I don't think he owed us an apology. As for his sponsors... maybe. I didn't watch his apology speech so I don't know what he said. All I would have suggested he say is something like "I'm taking some time off from golf to work on personal issues. I'll let you know when I'm coming back."

As for the public - all they DESERVE to know about is his golf game. The rest is between Him, his wife and God.

Bonnie
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Two other observations from Tiger's press conference...

1. He did not wear a single sponsor. Not that I expected him to, but I do think it should be noted.

2. One of the sponsors that dropped Tiger, "Accenture", is the sponsor of the current PGA tour match, and Tiger totally took the momentum away from their ratings today by airing his press conference at the same time. - translated as....PWNED :)

I think not wearing a sponsor was the right thing to do. I wondered why he made that comment about his golf peers understanding why he was giving his speech when and where he did. Makes sense now. :wink:

I'm not sure why he needed a written speech to say what he needed to say. That part of it was awkward I thought. But when he hugged his mom.....it was like watching a hurt child going to his mom for comfort. :cry:

flo
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Good catch, JB. I totally associate the swoosh with Tiger.

Bonnie
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.accenture.com/Landing_Pages/ps_global.htm?c=ad_08usglbpsgs_1207&n=g_Accenture_Core_Business/a_0_k/accenture&s_kwcid=TC|7188|accenture||S|e|2597762087

I know what I'm thinking when reading this isn't what they mean....but really....when you think of Tiger....."adversity"....."risk management"...

The title, "Turning Adversity into Advantage" and that first paraghraph....Tiger needs them now more than ever! :laugh:

They may have been a little short-sighted in dropping him. :Whistle:

flo
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I wasn't familiar with Accenture before this all happened. Yes, it's very ironic that the only corporation to drop him has a slogan tailor-made for Tiger's current situation!

I'm willing to bet they quietly resume their sponsorship after he begins golfing again.

Bonnie
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I wasn't familiar with Accenture before this all happened. Yes, it's very ironic that the only corporation to drop him has a slogan tailor-made for Tiger's current situation!

I'm willing to bet they quietly resume their sponsorship after he begins golfing again.

I wanted to know what Accenture was so I looked them up and just happened to click on that site. When I saw the title and read that paragraph, I just thought, "Wow, the irony..." :wink:

Spiritwalker
02-21-2010, 02:26 AM
I just caught a clip of it on tv. He seemed totally without emotion, not that I expected him to cry or anything. :wink:

He makes me sick and all those putanas he slept with coming out of the woodwork make me sick! If that don't beat all....they're upset at the married man they were sleeping with for cheating on them. :blink: They loved him....wah wah wah! PUHLEEEZE!!! :rolleyes:

Elin is right, it's going to take more than words and it's going to take a long long time for her to trust him again, IF ever. I'm glad she wasn't up there "standing by his side". I feel for her and his mom.

Stupid man!

Or stupid women for fooling about with a married man...????

I could care less that he went out and played about.. sure didn't effect his golf game...

The whole thing is between him and his wife... everyone else can go take a flying leap...

The women were "ho's"... just as much as him... was he cheating on his golf game??? That's all that people should care about... If you hate Tiger cause he played about... then maybe you should consider why.

J.B.
02-21-2010, 05:14 AM
I could care less that he went out and played about.. sure didn't effect his golf game...

It most certainly did effect his Golf game. If his game wasn't effected, he would be Golfing right now. :wink:

Bonnie
02-21-2010, 05:31 AM
It most certainly did effect his Golf game. If his game wasn't effected, he would be Golfing right now. :wink:

JB, you're so good at stating the obvious. :laugh:

J.B.
02-21-2010, 05:44 AM
JB, you're so good at stating the obvious. :laugh:

Well, that is the obvious part of how it's effected his game.

Then there is the less obvious part, which is that it probably did effect his actual playing to some degree over the years. Yes, I know Tiger went through knee issues, and swing adjustments, but the truth is that Tiger Woods has been considerably less dominant on the PGA Tour over the last 7 years. Tiger even admitted that the money and fame got to him, and there is no doubt that when you are running around having that many affairs you are likely to lose focus. That will hurt the performance of any athlete.

Bonnie
02-21-2010, 06:14 AM

Well, that is the obvious part of how it's effected his game.

Then there is the less obvious part, which is that it probably did effect his actual playing to some degree over the years. Yes, I know Tiger went through knee issues, and swing adjustments, but the truth is that Tiger Woods has been considerably less dominant on the PGA Tour over the last 7 years. Tiger even admitted it that the money and fame got to him, and there is no doubt that when you are running around having that many affairs you are likely to lose focus. That will hurt the performance of any athlete.

Just to clarify, that comment was a compliment. :)

In spite of some of my earlier comments, I do hope he's successful in getting his personal life sorted out and all this mess behind him.

J.B.
02-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Just to clarify, that comment was a compliment. :)

In spite of some of my earlier comments, I do hope he's successful in getting his personal life sorted out and all this mess behind him.

I know, and thank you! :)

I didn't think your comments earlier were out of line at all. He messed up big time, and now he's paying for it figuratively and literally. I honestly don't understand how some of these athletes manage to put themselves in situations like this. I realize we are all human, and we all make mistakes, but it's still incredibly stupid. When you are that big of a celebrity and you are having affairs with like 20 people, you are setting yourself up for a laundry list of bad situations.

That being said, I hope he can come back from it too.

Bonnie
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I honestly don't understand how some of these athletes manage to put themselves in situations like this. I realize we are all human, and we all make mistakes, but it's still incredibly stupid.

Athletes, presidents, governors....the list goes on....and....onnnnnn! :rolleyes:

All I can think is they suffer from extreme short-sightedness and an insane willingness to risk sooooo much for so very little. :wink:

VCURamFan
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Athletes, presidents, governors....the list goes on....and....onnnnnn! :rolleyes:

All I can think is they suffer from extreme short-sightedness and an insane willingness to risk sooooo much for so very little. :wink:

THIS

NateR
02-21-2010, 05:00 PM
"Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell ya, I gotta plead ignorance on this whole thing, because if anyone had said anything at all, when I first started here, that sort of thing was frowned upon..... "

:wink:

J.B.
02-21-2010, 05:05 PM

You are exactly right, although I do think the standard is set even higher for elected officials because of their position of power. This is not the Politics section, but I will bring it up anyway because it goes to my point....

Every time Liberal/Democrats blew off the severity of what Bill Clinton did during the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal, they forgot how important the role of President is to our country. We can't have our president getting freaky with one of their interns every time they get horny. It's as if some people forget about a little thing called "blackmail". Then, to top it all off, he friggin lied about it to the entire country on TV.

Obviously, Tiger Woods is not an elected official, and he has virtually no impact on all of our day to day lives. However, in the world of Golf, he is pretty much the king, and it's that reason, along with our rabid fascination for celebrity gossip, that makes this such a media frenzy.

Bonnie
02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
"Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell ya, I gotta plead ignorance on this whole thing, because if anyone had said anything at all, when I first started here, that sort of thing was frowned upon..... "

:laugh: David has the complete series. :laugh:

We need more Mr. Lippmans in this world! :ninja:

Bonnie
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
You are exactly right, although I do think the standard is set even higher for elected officials because of their position of power. This is not the Politics section, but I will bring it up anyway because it goes to my point....

Every time Liberal/Democrats blew off the severity of what Bill Clinton did during the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal, they forgot how important the role of President is to our country. We can't have our president getting freaky with one of their interns every time they get horny. It's as if some people forget about a little thing called "blackmail". Then, to top it all off, he friggin lied about it to the entire country on TV.

Obviously, Tiger Woods is not an elected official, and he has virtually no impact on all of our day to day lives. However, in the world of Golf, he is pretty much the king, and it's that reason, along with our rabid fascination for celebrity gossip, that makes this such a media frenzy.

The unfortunate thing about that whole sordid mess with Clinton was a lot of the people pointing fingers at him had done the same thing. :wink: We saw just how effective blackmail works when Larry Flynt threatened to expose them for their hypocrisy.

What's amazing to me about Tiger's case is that with so many women involved, he wasn't exposed a lot sooner. The real kicker is he was outed by a woman he hadn't slept with.

VCURamFan
02-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Ahhhhh-hahahaha, I love George!! :happydancing:

J.B.
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
The unfortunate thing about that whole sordid mess with Clinton was a lot of the people pointing fingers at him had done the same thing. :wink: We saw just how effective blackmail works when Larry Flynt threatened to expose them for their hypocrisy.

What's amazing to me about Tiger's case is that with so many women involved, he wasn't exposed a lot sooner. The real kicker is he was outed by a woman he hadn't slept with.

I agree, I'm surprised this wasn't exposed sooner too.