PDA

View Full Version : Jens Pulver Has Secret Weapon For WEC 47

Play The Man
02-18-2010, 08:12 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17974/wec-47s-jens-pulver-has-a-secret-weapon-for-javier-vazquez-a-gameplan.mma

The UFC's first-ever lightweight champion, current WEC featherweight Jens Pulver (22-12-1 MMA, 1-4 WEC) has never felt better.

While that might be difficult to believe when it relates to a 35-year-old prizefighter who has just one win in his past seven trips to the cage, "Little Evil" has always been a man full of surprises.

Since electing to end a brief retirement, Pulver has relocated to Idaho, focused on proper nutrition for the first time in his storied career, and most importantly, the MMA pioneer says he'll take something else into his WEC 47 fight with Javier Vazquez (13-4 MMA, 0-2 WEC) that he hasn't had in years: a gameplan.

"I'm now working again," Pulver recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I now have gameplans again. I now have strategies. I now have things that I'm actually looking to do when I get out there."

Never afraid to throw his powerful hands, Pulver has unfortunately put himself in harm's way in recent outings. The results haven't been pretty, and Pulver knows he needs to return to the form that saw him earn early UFC wins over B.J. Penn, Caol Uno, Dennis Hallman and John Lewis, among others.

"When I was the world champion, ... I'd take all 25 minutes," Pulver said. "If it took me that long to get ahead, then so be it, but I wasn't going to take a risk, and I wanted to be perfect every time I fought.

"Back then, those fans probably didn't enjoy it as much as they do now, but it's time to try and get back to that perfect spot."

Pulver credits his revitalized approach to a split from his old training partners at the famed Miletich Fighting Systems camp and starting his own gym, Driven Training Center, along with head trainer Tony Fryklund.

"Tony gets me thinking," Pulver said. "Tony makes me a fighter and not just a physical fighter, but the thinking-kind of fighter. I'm listening. We've got a gameplan. I've got things I'm working on.

"We can talk about MFS, but I'm not going to rip, I'm not going to make fun. I'm just saying for me, I'm very happy I finally have gameplans and stuff again. I'm not out there just to throw punches and bang and whatever happens, happens. Whenever I've done anything great, it's been with Tony Fryklund in my corner."

Pulver will need to muster his best performance for Vazquez, an experienced veteran who has had a tough go in the WEC after coming up short in two split-decision results.

"He's very aggressive, and he's very strong in that aspect," Pulver said. "He loves the ground, but he's starting to throw hooks. He's starting to bring in a nice overhand, but he definitely wants the fight to be on the ground.

"The difference this time as compared to the last five years is I'm back. ... I'm happy. I'm having fun."

It's a refreshing energy from Pulver, and his legion of loyal followers undoubtedly hope that translates into a much-needed win at the March 6 event.

Pulver does, too.

"I'm very happy," Pulver said. "It's a very positive place where I'm at. I'd like to be able to turn that into some good wrecking balls out there in the cage."

Tyburn
02-19-2010, 08:59 PM
:)

cubsfan47
02-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks to Direct TV I won't be able to watch this at home. BOO!

Jens has always been one of my favorites. I enjoyed his stint doing commentary for the WEC. Excellent commentator.

Tyburn
02-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks to Direct TV I won't be able to watch this at home. BOO!

Jens has always been one of my favorites. I enjoyed his stint doing commentary for the WEC. Excellent commentator.

Yes, he was an excellent colour commentator...he infact has also had stints on the UFC, if you go WAYYYYY Back to just after he won the Championship, I believe he did commentary on the event which had the contender match between BJ Penn and Caol Uno. Caol Uno was looking for a rematch since he was the guy who lost to Jens during Pulvers Aquizition of a brand new Title, for a brand new formal division. BJ Penn was the high flyer of the time, never lost a bout, and looked unbeatable.

Soooo anywho, the match between Uno and Penn lasted...well...less then the time it took Bruce Buffer to introduce the pair. Uno came out all excitable ready with flying knees and punches....Penn side stepped, punched him just the once...and Uno was out for hours :laugh:...I believe that might have been the event Penn decided he still had pent up energy so he ran out of the cage, up the ramp and then came all the way back again.

Jens Pulver was supposed to be doing commentary on that...he said something like "he's bad, but he's not Evil" refering of course to his pseydonymn "Lil Evil" But he divulges in his book that he wasnt as confident after that at his ability to beat Penn. :laugh:

He still raves about Penn sometimes, which annoys me, :angry: and I told him so when we were talking over dinner about starts of the MMA world and he bought up how Penn was better then him. I couldnt help myself...I spoke pretty much like I would write to anyone who said a similar thing on this forum. :mellow:

I told him that was a matter of opinion and not one that I or many Pulverites held.

He just looked at me like :blink:

:laugh:

Liddellfan
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
It's really good to hear Jens say he is actually having fun again, that's when he was at his most dangerous. When he was out there having fun, and having confidence in himself he was killing people.I would love to see a big left hand KO!!.....WAR JENS:punch:

Tyburn
02-22-2010, 01:45 AM
It's really good to hear Jens say he is actually having fun again, that's when he was at his most dangerous. When he was out there having fun, and having confidence in himself he was killing people.I would love to see a big left hand KO!!.....WAR JENS:punch:

:happydancing: YES, YES :happydancing:

Blade
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
He still raves about Penn sometimes, which annoys me, :angry: and I told him so when we were talking over dinner about starts of the MMA world and he bought up how Penn was better then him. I couldnt help myself...I spoke pretty much like I would write to anyone who said a similar thing on this forum. :mellow:

I told him that was a matter of opinion and not one that I or many Pulverites held.

He just looked at me like :blink:

Why shouldn't he rave about Penn? :huh:

VCURamFan
02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Why shouldn't he rave about Penn? :huh:
Because Jens is Jesus & BJ's the Devil in the Dave's MMA world. For Jesus to praise BJ is blasphemous. :scared0011:

Tyburn
02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Because Jens is Jesus & BJ's the Devil in the Dave's MMA world. For Jesus to praise BJ is blasphemous. :scared0011:

:laugh::laugh: something like that :laugh::laugh:

I'm sure he was just testing me :ninja:

:unsure-1:

Really, I dislike anyone raving about Penn, yes we know he's got excellent skills, and we know he's p4p blah blah blah...but he also has a foul mouth, a bad character...and I dont like him...I certainly wont hold him up as a measure to Jens...and neither should Jens...its degrading...sometimes you just have to remind people because they might have slightly distorted views about themselves.

I have no quarms about telling him. Ask Tim McKinnon if you dont believe me, he was at the dinner table to. :laugh: I looked over to him for support after saying it, and he just looked at his burger and pretended I hadnt said what I did :laugh:

After a brief pause, Jens went on to talk about Randy Couture, which was absolutely fine, and everything progressed without a hiccup from then onwards :)

VCURamFan
02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
:laugh::laugh: something like that :laugh::laugh:

I'm sure he was just testing me :ninja:

:unsure-1:

Really, I dislike anyone raving about Penn, yes we know he's got excellent skills, and we know he's p4p blah blah blah...but he also has a foul mouth, a bad character...and I dont like him...I certainly wont hold him up as a measure to Jens...and neither should Jens...its degrading...sometimes you just have to remind people because they might have slightly distorted views about themselves.

I have no quarms about telling him. Ask Tim McKinnon if you dont believe me, he was at the dinner table to. :laugh: I looked over to him for support after saying it, and he just looked at his burger and pretended I hadnt said what I did :laugh:

After a brief pause, Jens went on to talk about Randy Couture, which was absolutely fine, and everything progressed without a hiccup from then onwards :)
Just so you know, Dave: during that pause, Jens was thinking "Man, Hughes was right, this Dave guy totally is an obsessed stalker. I reeeeally shoulda listened to Matt!" :laugh:

Tyburn
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
First impressions never go well with these people.

When I first met Hughes I came bounding out the toilet with very little on, because I'd left some of my clothes in the other room and wasnt expecting him to be in the house at the time.

and my first words to Jens Pulver were... "do you know who I am?" :laugh:

Blade
02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Just because BJ Penn caned your fave fighter and is the best lightweight champion in the history of the UFC doesn't mean he has a bad character. There's nothing wrong with his character.

Tyburn
02-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Just because BJ Penn caned your fave fighter and is the best lightweight champion in the history of the UFC doesn't mean he has a bad character. There's nothing wrong with his character.

there is nothing right with his character...and Jens Pulver is the best Lightweight Champion in the history of the UFC actually :angry:

Blade
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
there is nothing right with his character...and Jens Pulver is the best Lightweight Champion in the history of the UFC actually :angry:

I think Penn's a good bloke. Would you like me to send you a BJ Penn 'Just Scrap' t-shirt? :w00t:

Tyburn
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I think Penn's a good bloke. Would you like me to send you a BJ Penn 'Just Scrap' t-shirt? :w00t:

No Thankyou :rolleyes:

Blade
02-23-2010, 01:00 AM
No Thankyou :rolleyes:

Are you sure? Bet Pulver's got a signed one. :Whistle:

Maldonado136
02-23-2010, 04:10 AM

sorry but penn has done more than enough to prove he is by far the greatest ufc lightweight of all time. thats my unbiased observation. he does act dumb when he loses though.

Tyburn
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
sorry but penn has done more than enough to prove he is by far the greatest ufc lightweight of all time. thats my unbiased observation. he does act dumb when he loses though.

:angry: No Actually, he hasnt....and he never will Jens Pulver is the best UFC Lightweight, always was, and always will be :happydancing:

You might like to know, today is February 23rd....on February 23rd 2001 Jens Pulver captured the first ever LWC and in so doing, founded the division. Nine years ago today :)

Blade
02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
:angry: No Actually, he hasnt....and he never will Jens Pulver is the best UFC Lightweight, always was, and always will be :happydancing:

You might like to know, today is February 23rd....on February 23rd 2001 Jens Pulver captured the first ever LWC and in so doing, founded the division. Nine years ago today :)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/katieframe805/delsional.jpg

Tyburn
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/katieframe805/delsional.jpg

Yeah...it'll be a reality check for you when Jens fights at WEC next weekend and wins :tongue0011:

Blade
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah...it'll be a reality check for you when Jens fights at WEC next weekend and wins :tongue0011:

Oh well nevermind, you win some and you lose some (or in this case 5 in a row) :arrowthruhead:

Tyburn
03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Oh well nevermind, you win some and you lose some (or in this case 5 in a row) :arrowthruhead:

what next...Shall Andreas be drawn from out the woodwork to reply in meanly fashion :rolleyes: