PDA

View Full Version : Ohio commission turns down Sims vs. Sylvia

atomdanger
02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17969/ohio-commission-turns-down-wes-sims-vs-tim-sylva-at-adrenaline-mma-iv.mma

"The commission felt the fight was not going to be competitive at this time after comparing [Sims' and Sylvia's] records and the opponents both fighters had faced," Profato stated in an email response. "And even though it was 2004, Sylvia previously stopped Sims at 1:36 of the first round."

haha wow, sort of crazy.

J.B.
02-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Wow...if I were Ray Mercer I would be angry...

Tyburn
02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Fascinating...is it usual for a SAC to worry about whether an match will be competative...if so, how do they explain sanctioning ANYONE to fight GSP, Anderson Silva, or BJ Penn in the UFC :huh:

That is not to say I have an issue with any such decision or investment...i'm just suprised...I do hope this isnt some kinda Armando Garcia type who is doing this to snub monte cox :laugh:

J.B.
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Fascinating...is it usual for a SAC to worry about whether an match will be competative...if so, how do they explain sanctioning ANYONE to fight GSP, Anderson Silva, or BJ Penn in the UFC :huh:

That is not to say I have an issue with any such decision or investment...i'm just suprised...I do hope this isnt some kinda Armando Garcia type who is doing this to snub monte cox :laugh:

It is normal for them to do it, but only with aging fighters who they think have suffered a lot of damage recently or over the course of their career.

Vizion
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Ouch.

County Mike
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
They're also not likely to sanction a match between a newcomer and a top veteran. However, Sims on his way up (arguably) against Sylvia on his way down doesn't seem THAT lopsided to me.

Max
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
They're also not likely to sanction a match between a newcomer and a top veteran. However, Sims on his way up (arguably) against Sylvia on his way down doesn't seem THAT lopsided to me.

I dont know if I would say that Sims is on his way up but Tim is def on his way down.

atomdanger
02-17-2010, 11:49 PM

Well said....

Country Breakfast
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
I guess Tim has decided to fight cans for the rest of his career.

atomdanger
02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
It is normal for them to do it, but only with aging fighters who they think have suffered a lot of damage recently or over the course of their career.

This is the first time I recall hearing about them doing it in MMA,
does it happen often in boxing?

J.B.
02-18-2010, 01:29 AM
This is the first time I recall hearing about them doing it in MMA,
does it happen often in boxing?

I wouldn't say it happens ALL the time, but it's fairly common for fighters at the tail end of their careers to be denied licensing for one reason or another. Evander Holyfield has had problems getting sanctioning recently, as have others. I'm sure it happens more than we actually hear about too, as some guys probably get told behind closed doors by insiders that they would be denied before they actually try and get licensing from the commission.

I honestly don't know if I agree with the decision in this case. I don't see why those two can't fight each other, and I bet that they could get the fight sanctioned somewhere else down the road.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
I guess Tim has decided to fight cans for the rest of his career.

My guess is he'll fight whoever he can get paid to fight! It should in theory be an easy pay check for Silvia.

suntereo
02-18-2010, 07:49 PM
the fact that they reference tim's quick stoppage of sims seems to indicate that they question Sim's not Sylvia's ability to be competitive?

rearnakedchoke
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
My guess is he'll fight whoever he can get paid to fight! It should in theory be an easy pay check for Silvia.

This is what happens when you mess with Dana ... Tim thought he was better than he was and now he has to resort to this.

Adia
02-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Vanity, insanity, lack of clarity, failure to see the big picture, stretched FAR from reality...take your pick for reasons why better competition isn't headed his way...heck, let's even blame global warming, since it likely has something to do with it too..and it isn't a leap year...

Those who have seen his twitter see the full picture. Sad..but..true.