PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

County Mike
02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
The opening ceremonies are happening right now. Post all your olympic related stuff here.

Really looking forward to the ice hockey. USA men play Feb 16th at noon but so far I can't find it listed on TV. I hope they air most of the games.

Of course, gotta love that curling too. Very exciting. :Whistle:

Bonnie
02-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Did you see where that luger flew off the track in his practice run. That was horrible! :cry: They've already had several bad spills on that track and now this. It's a pretty fast track. Hope no one else gets hurt or worse...

I'm looking forward to seeing Lindsey Vonn ski and the speed skating. They're is a guy from this area competing in that. :cool:

flo
02-13-2010, 02:28 AM
My sympathies to his family; thankfully, it looked like he died instantly.

On a brighter note, I love the Olympics, (even curling!). The athletes are just amazing, I'm really exited about the games. They are going on just a couple hours north of us.

flo
02-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Speed skating is my favorite.

I missed the contingent from Where The Bluebonnets Bloom. :)

Bonnie
02-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Speed skating is my favorite.

I missed the contingent from Where The Bluebonnets Bloom. :)

Chad Hedrick :)

flo
02-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Ah, fellow Texians (I don't know why I was thinking you were in Florida).

I'll be rooting for him.:happydancing:

Bonnie
02-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Ah, fellow Texians (I don't know why I was thinking you were in Florida).

I'll be rooting for him.:happydancing:

Thanks, Flo! Btw, that's Texans. I love ya, Flo! :laugh:

matthughesfan21
02-13-2010, 03:51 AM
The opening ceremonies are happening right now. Post all your olympic related stuff here.

Really looking forward to the ice hockey. USA men play Feb 16th at noon but so far I can't find it listed on TV. I hope they air most of the games.

Of course, gotta love that curling too. Very exciting. :Whistle:They play the Swiss, so it shouldn't be to thrilling of a game...I would assume it would definitely be on the NBC coverage, same goes for the Canadians/Norway at 6:30
They will most likely show the games and during intermissions cut away to other events...I hope this is the case, otherwise ill be pissed...The hockey is the only thing I'm excited to watch, the rest of it I'll watch, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to

matthughesfan21
02-13-2010, 03:56 AM
The USA opening game will be on USA network from 2:00-5:00

refer to this page for tv listings for the olympics
http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html

Neezar
02-13-2010, 03:57 AM
They play the Swiss, so it shouldn't be to thrilling of a game...I would assume it would definitely be on the NBC coverage, same goes for the Canadians/Norway at 6:30
They will most likely show the games and during intermissions cut away to other events...I hope this is the case, otherwise ill be pissed...The hockey is the only thing I'm excited to watch, the rest of it I'll watch, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to

Why do you watch it if you don't want to?

matthughesfan21
02-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Why do you watch it if you don't want to?I worded it wrong, I like the olympics and will watch it when its on, but hockey is the only winter event(maybe snowboarding also)that I actually get excited for, the rest of it I just watch for something interesting at the time, but I could care less who wins or loses(root for the US of course, but if they dont win, i'm not losing sleep over it)

Neezar
02-13-2010, 04:44 AM
I worded it wrong, I like the olympics and will watch it when its on, but hockey is the only winter event(maybe snowboarding also)that I actually get excited for, the rest of it I just watch for something interesting at the time, but I could care less who wins or loses(root for the US of course, but if they dont win, i'm not losing sleep over it)

Good. We need more American's to watch. So I don't feel guilty about not watching. :laugh:

J.B.
02-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Hockey is great, but other than that I'm not big on the Winter Games.

Even with the Summer Games, the only ones I really follow are Boxing and Basketball.

Chuck
02-13-2010, 06:03 AM
I thought the opening ceremonies were pretty lame. A few bright spots but mostly weak....

flo
02-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Flo! Btw, that's Texans. I love ya, Flo! :laugh:

Aww, that's nice :) Ditto, Bonnie!

bradwright
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I thought the opening ceremonies were pretty lame. A few bright spots but mostly weak....

what did you expect ?....were in a recession up here you know!....we just dont have any extra money right now for any extravagances:sad:...just the necessities.
like the mens hockey team.:)we spent lots and lots of money on the mens hockey team....so good luck there boys.:ninja:
who knows though....maybe next time we host the winter Olympics we will be in a better financial situation and be able then to put on a good show.:)
hope so...i just hate seeing you disappointed like that Chuck.:sad:

matthughesfan21
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Hockey is great, but other than that I'm not big on the Winter Games.

Even with the Summer Games, the only ones I really follow are Boxing and Basketball.
I like the snowboarding also, mainly just the superpiper

I like the track and field for the summer games, the basketball is alright, but I don't get pumped up for it

Chuck
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
what did you expect ?....were in a recession up here you know!....we just dont have any extra money right now for any extravagances:sad:...just the necessities.
like the mens hockey team.:)we spent lots and lots of money on the mens hockey team....so good luck there boys.:ninja:
who knows though....maybe next time we host the winter Olympics we will be in a better financial situation and be able then to put on a good show.:)
hope so...i just hate seeing you disappointed like that Chuck.:sad:

I'm not dissapointed in Canada bro... remember I'm from Seattle, I've been to Vancouver many, many times and absolutely love it!!

I thought some of the speeches were a little long and boring.. and for me the best part of any opening ceramony is watching the cauldron get lit so obviously that was a big let down. :-( Even IF all the kinks were worked out I just don't think it was very creative and I'm not a fan of having 4 flames but that's just me.

I HATE KD Lang but it does have a great voice. I found the song it sang a little repetitive but it sang it well.

I enjoyed seeing Orr & The Great One, Donald Southerland and the weird looking dude with the chin beard that gave the monologue.

The dude flying around touching the ground was pretty cool too...

I guess I'd give it a C+ :huh:

But Canada gets an A- :D

bradwright
02-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not dissapointed in Canada bro... remember I'm from Seattle, I've been to Vancouver many, many times and absolutely love it!!

I thought some of the speeches were a little long and boring.. and for me the best part of any opening ceramony is watching the cauldron get lit so obviously that was a big let down. :-( Even IF all the kinks were worked out I just don't think it was very creative and I'm not a fan of having 4 flames but that's just me.

I HATE KD Lang but it does have a great voice. I found the song it sang a little repetitive but it sang it well.

I enjoyed seeing Orr & The Great One, Donald Southerland and the weird looking dude with the chin beard that gave the monologue.

The dude flying around touching the ground was pretty cool too...

I guess I'd give it a C+ :huh:

But Canada gets an A- :D

i'm not much of an "it" fan either but i thought he/she did a good job with the song.
as far as the rest of it go's i pretty much saw it like you did....i was just having some fun with you is all.:wink:

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2010, 11:10 PM
i thought the ceremonies were quite good, but i may be biased ... LOL

i was hoping betty fox would light the torch, but wayne was okay ...

J.B.
02-13-2010, 11:26 PM
How about Steve Nash lighting the torch?

He's my favorite Canadian, and my homeboy. :)

Chuck
02-13-2010, 11:36 PM

That was cool.

I recognized him by his hair before he even turned around to the camera. :D

J.B.
02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
That was cool.

I recognized him by his hair before he even turned around to the camera. :D

He is making a ton of money producing commercials now, he is hilarious.

"The Most Ridiculous Man in the World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=RewyK8YKwTg&v=usVYkjOqsxo

Hilarious Vitamin Water commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=wzGsbBSRA-4&v=xu8epLN7xqE

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Lennox Lewis!!!!

J.B.
02-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Lennox Lewis!!!!

Did Lennox light the torch too? I gotta be honest I didn't watch it. I just knew Nash was there because it's all over Phoenix sports radio. :ashamed:

I like Lennox a lot, and I think he has been severely under-rated by the Boxing community, but I will also admit I have always been a bit biased in favor of Americans when it comes to Boxing. :wink:

rearnakedchoke
02-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Did Lennox light the torch too? I gotta be honest I didn't watch it. I just knew Nash was there because it's all over Phoenix sports radio. :ashamed:

I like Lennox a lot, and I think he has been severely under-rated by the Boxing community, but I will also admit I have always been a bit biased in favor of Americans when it comes to Boxing. :wink:

nah ... don't think he did .... i think we are still butt hurt that he fought under britain as a pro ... i really don't care .... dude was a beast ... and since he won a gold for canada, he is a canadian in my books ... plus, he loves it here ... he is always around town

J.B.
02-14-2010, 12:12 AM
nah ... don't think he did .... i think we are still butt hurt that he fought under britain as a pro ... i really don't care .... dude was a beast ... and since he won a gold for canada, he is a canadian in my books ... plus, he loves it here ... he is always around town

Yeah, I know he fought out of Britain, but nobody forgot his performances in the Olympics, so he's definitely a Canadian.:wink:

That's the reason I still love Olympic Boxing, Wrestling, Basketball, and Hockey. As an American fan, those are the kinds of sports I follow, and those athletes usually go on to, or already do, impact the American professional sports leagues that I follow.

Chuck
02-14-2010, 01:38 AM

A beast in the Olympics yes, but over rated as a pro in my book....

And JB will be flaming me in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......... :D

J.B.
02-14-2010, 02:07 AM
A beast in the Olympics yes, but over rated as a pro in my book....

And JB will be flaming me in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......... :D

Over-rated how?

I'm not gonna flame, I just really want to hear your argument.

Neezar
02-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Did you see where that luger flew off the track in his practice run. That was horrible! :cry: They've already had several bad spills on that track and now this. It's a pretty fast track. Hope no one else gets hurt or worse...

I'm looking forward to seeing Lindsey Vonn ski and the speed skating. They're is a guy from this area competing in that. :cool:

Now people are complaining about the media showing pics, etc. :unsure-1:

I saw some of the pics and they were pretty gruesome.

rearnakedchoke
02-14-2010, 02:30 AM
yeah, don't see how he could be considered overrated ... he fought and beat everyone put in front of him and never ducked anyone .. in fact, bowe ducked him until he became irrelevent

Llamafighter
02-14-2010, 04:32 AM
First gold for US is in women's moguls!

VCURamFan
02-15-2010, 05:30 AM
He is making a ton of money producing commercials now, he is hilarious.

"The Most Ridiculous Man in the World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=RewyK8YKwTg&v=usVYkjOqsxo

Hilarious Vitamin Water commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=wzGsbBSRA-4&v=xu8epLN7xqE

Dude, I love me some Steve Nash! I liked him back when he was on the Mavs & then followed him to the Suns. The only player I like more is my boy Eric Maynor (gotta be true to your school, right?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZkaEge0R8&NR=1
(1:11 FTW!)

DonnaMaria
02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Now people are complaining about the media showing pics, etc. :unsure-1:

I saw some of the pics and they were pretty gruesome.

They were.:cry: But that's what happens when you are going 90 miles per hour and you hit your head. It's a dangerous sport. I guess that's why it's so thrilling.:cry: At least they are now padding the concrete poles that surround the track. Not sure if that will make a difference but at least it's something.

I thought the moment of silence was appropriate to have during the opening ceremony. My prayers go out to his family.

:cry:

Overall I thought the ceremony was really cool! But I loved the singing and dancing! Especially the tap dancing! That's my thing so of course I loved it! :happydancing:

If it wasn't your thing I could understand why you would have been bored! :laugh:

bradwright
02-15-2010, 05:58 PM
we as Canadians have seen the first ever gold medal won by a Canadian athlete on Canadian soil in a winter Olympics and it was done by Alexandre Bilodeau in the men's moguls.
:):):):):):):):)
Congratulations Alexandre ! !